PDA

View Full Version : Multifaceted Larsen mixes faith, football

Denver Native (Carol)
12-08-2009, 12:10 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_13936542

At this point, Spencer Larsen might prefer that the team drop the position designation next to his name on the Broncos' roster.

It might be more appropriate to just list Larsen as "football player."

There is perhaps no more versatile player on the roster than Larsen, who splits his time at inside linebacker and fullback and is also one of the team's best special-teams players.

Since returning from a freak shoulder injury he suffered just before the season opener (the result of a fall in the locker room in Cincinnati), Larsen has played in five games, with one start (against Washington) at fullback.

Larsen, 25, and his wife, Ann, have two sons: 2 1/2-year-old Tyton and 1-year-old Gunnar.

Q: You took two years off from college (at the University of Arizona) to go on a Mormon mission. How hard of a decision was that to make?

A: That was a really challenging decision, because once I had my scholarship, I had gone and played, it was right there where I was thinking, do I go on my mission or do I keep doing this? My freshman year went really well; I was able to play. But halfway through, I decided that football would still be here. But your mission, you have a smaller window for it, and if you pass it up, that could be a big-time regret.

Q: What was your reaction when you found out you were assigned to Chile?

A: It was crazy. You look at it and read that you're called to serve in the Chile Osorno. That's in the bottom half of Chile. I had to look it up on the map. I had heard of Santiago, but I hadn't heard of anything south of that.

Q: What lessons have you taken with you from your time there?

A: I'm very faith-oriented, and the No. 1 thing is what you can accomplish through prayer and using divine guidance and help. That's one thing, because you can't really survive in that for two years without that strength. That's my personal belief. And the second thing is what you're able to endure. At times, I'd walk for five hours, just looking for someone to open the door. You find out how much your body and mind can endure in challenging situations.

Q: Is it ever hard to balance faith and football, or are they intertwined for you?

A: I don't think they're separate at all. Football is also very challenging, especially at this level. In order to perform well, it takes a lot of the same stuff that being devout in your religion takes. And you're able to do that if you really want to.

Q: You and Ann got married when you were still in college. What was that like for you guys as a couple?

A: I really enjoyed that time. We had nothing, really, no money, so you're able to start at that level, and you go on this journey together to get to where you want to be in all aspects of your life. In college, it's tough times financially for everybody, so we were able to learn how to budget and how to be happy with very little. So everything beyond what we had in college is just great. We know now that we can be happy with the minimum.

Q: What did you learn from the six weeks you were out this season with the shoulder injury?

A: I was really, really excited for my second year to start, and I felt like I had set a lot of goals that I wanted to achieve going into the year, so it put the brakes on it. It really got me hungry to come back. It let me know what I would be missing if I wasn't playing, if I wasn't part of it.

Q: What do you want to do with your life when you're done playing?

A: I think about it a lot, but I think it all depends on how long I am able to play. I've always wanted to own my own business. I'd love to coach high school kids. Just have some sort of impact with youth, but all that will depend on how long I play and what opportunities come up. As far as now, it's just football for me. I want to make sure I get the most out of my years here.

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com
About Larsen

Position: Inside linebacker/fullback.

Hometown: Gilbert, Ariz.

College: Arizona

Draft: Sixth round (No. 183 overall), 2008

Season stats: Five games, one start (fullback); six special-teams tackles

Career stats: 19 games, four starts; 15 defensive tackles; 15 special-teams tackles

BCJ
12-08-2009, 01:56 AM
i knew right off the bat that he was mormon when i read the line...
"Larsen, 25, and his wife, Ann, have two sons: 2 1/2-year-old Tyton and 1-year-old Gunnar" 25, married and two kids. What is a Tyton though?

gobroncsnv
12-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Maybe Larsen is a secret fan of the NFL's Tennessee franchise, and named his son accordingly???

broncofaninfla
12-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Love Larsen! Seems to be in the mix in every special teams stop, one heck of a blocker at FB and provides solid depth at the ILB spot.

GEM
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
The blocking he has done from the FB position this year has been very good. I love him on ST though...hard hitter. :D

Italianmobstr7
12-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I like the guy and I got his autograph after the Dallas game (only autograph I got) and he's a nice guy. Good player too. Not many people can play O, D an ST but he can and he's good at all of them!

girler
12-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I wonder if he tackled people to get them baptized? :laugh:

Yes, sir, Elder Larson, sir! I will be baptized a Denver Bronco fan!!! :salute:

Buff
12-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I hate it when religion or politics creep into my football.

That said, Larsen is a BAMF.

claymore
12-08-2009, 01:40 PM

Mormons are good for 2 things. Screwing and Blocking. Larsen must be half Mormon cause he's good at tackling. :drinking:

slim
12-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Oh my...

Dreadnought
12-08-2009, 01:42 PM

Look on the bright sider - what are the odds Larsen turns up on a Las Vegas police blotter for biting the bouncer at a strip joint after "making it rain?" Running over a random pedestrian while DUI? Getting busted driving a van load of reefer across state lines?

Its nice having one guy in a roster slot that we know pretty much for sure won't show up on PFT's "Turd Watch" any time soon. Plus he's a BAMF.

slim
12-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I wonder if he wears his funny underwear on game day?

claymore
12-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I wonder if he wears his funny underwear on game day?

His onsey? I bet they have jock strap models.

slim
12-08-2009, 01:51 PM
His onsey? I bet they have jock strap models.

That is probably the real source of his strength and athletic prowess.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Look on the bright sider - what are the odds Larsen turns up on a Las Vegas police blotter for biting the bouncer at a strip joint after "making it rain?" Running over a random pedestrian while DUI? Getting busted driving a van load of reefer across state lines?

Its nice having one guy in a roster slot that we know pretty much for sure won't show up on PFT's "Turd Watch" any time soon. Plus he's a BAMF.

Am I correct in thinking the above statement dictates those of the mormon faith are less prone to transgression? Because if that's what you're saying....
WOW :shocked:

Dreadnought
12-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Am I correct in thinking the above statement dictates those of the mormon faith are less prone to transgression? Because if that's what you're saying....

Less prone to booze and drugs - pretty safe bet there

Requiem / The Dagda
12-08-2009, 03:47 PM
I know a lot of Mormons who hate the world and love to commit crime. Lets get an Interview with Sepencer and ask him.

girler
12-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm pretty sure this thread started with an interview of Larsen... :confused:

BCJ
12-09-2009, 02:32 AM

well, then he would be a jack mormon but you name me one mormon athlete that ridiculed his family, faith and himself. Pretty rare. They dont party but there are 53 guys in that locker room and I am sure they are fine with the other 51 (themselves not included). Plus, if you ever need a designated driver, you know Larsen is the man to do that job.

Iron Horse72
12-09-2009, 03:33 AM
The mashing mormon! love this guy.

56crash
12-09-2009, 03:14 PM
well, then he would be a jack mormon but you name me one mormon athlete that ridiculed his family, faith and himself. Pretty rare. They dont party but there are 53 guys in that locker room and I am sure they are fine with the other 51 (themselves not included). Plus, if you ever need a designated driver, you know Larsen is the man to do that job.

That is true with any faith were the person does the right thing like going on missions

56crash
12-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Less prone to booze and drugs - pretty safe bet there

To a point ...anyone is human