PDA

View Full Version : If the season ended today and EVERY WHAT IF Scenario for the Broncos!

RunYouOver
12-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Updated for after Week 13, added a few more what-if scenarios, so almost everything is covered now in terms of what could happen for us winning the division. After Week 15, I'll draw out every scenario for how we could win the wild card, but hopefully at that point that's an afterthought since we'll be winning the division ;)

As a user pointed out in last week's thread...realistically speaking, things couldn't have gone much better last week for us.

If the season ended TODAY (After Week 13):
AFC:
1. Indy (12-0, clinched AFC South)
2. San Diego (9-3, first in the AFC West)
3. Cincinnati (9-3, first in the AFC North)
4. New England (7-5, first in the AFC East)
5. Denver (8-4, higher seeded WC)
6. Jacksonville (7-5, lower seeded WC)

In the hunt:
7. Baltimore (6-5)
8. Miami (6-6)
9. NYJ (6-6)
10. Pittsburgh (6-6)

Explanations:

--San Diego is currently seeded ahead of Cincinnati because of a better conference record (7-3 to 6-3), but this is useless as the two teams play in Week 15, so if they wind up tied, whoever wins the head to head matchup wins the tiebreaker.

--Even if Baltimore wins tonight, they are still the #7 seed because Jacksonville has a better AFC record than they do (6-2 to 6-4)

--New England is falling fast…Miami and the Jets are only ONE game behind them. We would actually prefer they start winning though, because at this point, if we both wind up as wild cards, we’d have the edge over them anyway, but for all strength of victory tiebreakers over SD, we need them to do better. We’re already a game up on them, and if we were to win the division, there’s no way they’d have a better record than us. So New England losing more games is only bad for us, now that we’re a game up.

NFC:
1. New Orleans (12-0)
2. Minnesota (10-2)
3. Arizona (8-4)
4. Dallas (8-4)
5. Philly (8-4)
6. Green Bay (7-4)

In the hunt:
7. New York (7-5)
8. Atlanta (6-6)

Explanations:

--Arizona has a better conference record than Dallas
--Dallas has beaten Philly in their only head to head meeting thus far. The two teams meet again Week 17
--If Green Bay wins tonight, they are still the 6th seed since Philly has a better conference record, and if they lose they are still 6th because they’ll have a better conference record than the Giants

Post season match ups:
--Indy, San Diego, New Orleans and Minnesota have first round byes.
--Jax @ CIN, Den @ NE, GB @ ARI, PHI @ DAL
--If we won, we would likely play Indy in round 2, in Indianapolis.

Remaining Schedules:
DEN: @ IND, vs. OAK, @ PHI, vs. KC
SD: @ DAL, vs. CIN, @ TEN, vs. WAS

--We each have 2 home and 2 away games remaining
--Denver has two very winnable games, one difficult game, and one very
difficult game remaining

--San Diego has 1 very winnable game, 2 tough games and 1 decently tough game

--We probably lucked out that SD has to travel to Tennessee in Week 16...If TEN has any shot of making the playoffs, or even if they don’t, they’ve been playing much better as of late and will be a challenging road game for the Chargers

--The Bengals, a good team anyway, will be playing the Chargers hard as well, knowing that it could be for a first round bye

--Dallas’ loss this week only makes every game more important to them, you can bet they’ll be going all out at home against SD this week. If we can pull out a win in Indy this week, I think we can win the division.

--4 games remain, and Indy has a 3 game advantage for homefield, while they’d like to win every game, Jim Caldwell isn’t necessarily following Sean Payton’s “Pedal to the Medal” approach, and we might have caught Indy at the right time. We need every game, and Indy has no sense of urgency right now. If it was in Denver, I’d actually expect us to win, but because it’s in Indy, I expect us to keep it close, and maybe pull off the upset, which would be HUGE for us.

--Philly is in the same spot we’re in, and it is always tough playing there, too…that will be a tough one in a few weeks

--Comparing these schedules, it is very possible SD goes 2-2 and we go 3-1, which would put us both at 11-5…then what, you ask?

What if scenarios:
If Denver ONLY loses to INDY, and SD loses to Cincy and Dallas:

We split the head to head, we would both be 5-1 in the division, so you go to the common games record, where the common opponents are the AFC North and NFC East: Denver is 5-3 in those games while San Diego would be 4-4 with those two losses. We’d both be 8-4 in conference record, which wouldn’t matter here. In this scenario, we win the division and would be the third seed most likely, as Cincy would be primed to finish 12-4 if they beat SD.

If Denver ONLY loses to INDY, and SD loses to TEN and Dallas:

Here is where it gets real, real tricky: Tied head to head, tied division record, tied common opponents, tied conference, so the next tie breaker here would be strength of victory. Since it’s too tricky and kind of pointless to determine how all of the teams we play will finish, I’ll show you where we stand as of now to give you an idea: Denver has beaten CIN, CLE, OAK, DAL, NE, SD, NYG, and KC who have a combined record of 48-48. SD has beaten Oakland (x2) Denver, KC (x2), Miami, Philly NYG and Cleveland, who have a combined record of 44-64. Our current strength of victory is 0.500, SD’s is .407, so we would win here. This is another reason why beating Indy would be HUGE, in case of all tiebreakers, that win would all but seal a strength of victory win for us.
In this scenario, Cincy would likely finish 11-5, tying with us. Because of our head to head victory, we would be the #2 seed and have a first round bye.

If Denver ONLY loses to INDY and SD loses to Cincy and Ten:
**Correction: I incorrectly stated we would win because of common opponents record last week, however we would both be 5-3. We would actually win because of CONFERENCE record, where SD would be 7-5 and we would be 8-4.

If Denver ONLY loses to Philly and SD loses to Cincy and Dallas:

In this scenario, the common opponents would be tied at 4-4, but our conference record would be better (9-3) than San Diego’s (8-4), so we would win. We would probably be the third or fourth seed in this scenario.

If Denver ONLY loses to Philly and SD loses to TEN and Dallas:

San Diego would have a better common opponents record than us and would win the division. We would be the fifth seed.

If Denver ONLY loses to Philly and SD loses to Ten and CIN:

**Correction: I Incorrectly stated last week our common opponents record would be tied last week, however, they would be 5-3 and we would be 4-4 in this scenario, so SD would win the division. We would be the fifth seed.

If Denver loses to Philly AND Indy, and SD loses to Cincy, TEN and DAL:

Common opponents record would be tied, but our conference record would be better than SD’s (8-4 to 7-5).

If Denver loses to Philly AND Indy, and SD loses to Cincy, Dallas and Washington:

We would have a better common opponents record (4-4 compared with 3-5) and would win the division.

If Denver loses to Philly and Indy, and SD loses to Tennessee, Dallas and Washington:

Common opponents would be tied 4-4, we would both be 8-4 in conference, so our strength of victory would likely carry us to victory, however I can’t guarantee that because of the potential for teams’ records to drastically change in the last 4 week, and SD would get a win over Cincy, while we’d add KC and Oakland to our victories. It would be close in this scenario, we’d have to wait and see until the end of the season gets closer.

If we lose ANY division game:

We would need to finish with a better record than SD, or they would win the division with a better divisional record.

If we win out and SD loses to Cin:

We would have a tied common opponents record, but a better conference record (9-3 to 8-4), so we would win the division.

If we win out and SD loses to DAL:
Tied opponents record, tied conference record but better strength of victory, so we would win the division.

If we win out and SD loses to TEN:

San Diego would have a better common opponents record (6-2 to 5-3) and they would win the division.

If we win out and SD loses to WAS:
Common opponents record would be tied, conference record would be tied, we’d win strength of victory and take the division.

Key things to keep in mind in case of any ties:

--We have the tie breaker over Cincy and New England, and if Indy loses out and we win out, then we would have it over Indy too.

--Baltimore and Pittsburgh have tiebreakers over us, but at this point, it seems that Pittsburgh will have to win out to have any shot of tying us (unless we totally choke, in which case we wouldn’t make the playoffs anyway

--If we can win 3 out of our last 4 though, we are in regardless as Pit and Baltimore still have one head-to-head meeting, and Jacksonville’s schedule looks far too difficult to win out (vs Miami, Indy, @New England). A Baltimore loss tonight clinches that, but we should be in 11-5 regardless. We should be in 10-6 regardless too, but we’ll see.

--If we LOSE OUT, we are guaranteed to finish ahead of the Browns, Chiefs, Bills and Raiders. But that would suck.

Who to Root for in Week 14:

As always, Denver winning is our biggest priority. Other teams losing will help, but in terms of AFC tiebreakers, strength of victory tiebreakers, and staying in the division race, this week’s game is actually a VERY big one for us.

Additionally, root for the following teams this week: Cleveland (vs Pit), Detroit (@ BAL) Miami (@Jax), MIN (vs CIN, but Cincy could potentially keep SD out of a first round bye, so this is a tough one…thinking only of Denver though, a Cincy loss puts us in better position for a first round bye if we catch SD), GB (@CHI, helps our draft pick), New England (@ CAR, we need them to start winning again at this point), and finally, BIG TIME, we need DALLAS to beat SD, the game is in Dallas @ 415 on CBS. Root hard!

Order of importance:
1) Denver
2)Dallas
3) Miami
4) Detroit
5)Cleveland
6) Minnesota
7)New England
8) GB

Any questions be sure to let me know :cheers:

MasterShake
12-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Post season match ups:
--Indy, San Diego, New Orleans and Minnesota have first round byes.
--Jax @ SD, Den @ NE, GB @ ARI, PHI @ DAL
--If we won, we would likely play Indy in round 2, in Indianapolis.

Actually, I think JAX would play CIN and SD would have a first round bye, with the winner of the DEN vs NE game going to SD for the divisional round.

BroncoWave
12-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Actually, I think JAX would play CIN and SD would have a first round bye, with the winner of the DEN vs NE game going to SD for the divisional round.

Yeah, he meant Cin I believe, just looks like a typo.

RunYouOver
12-07-2009, 06:44 PM

Yeah, he meant Cin I believe, just looks like a typo.

Yep :salute:

Buff
12-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Let me know if I'm interpreting this properly--Does the tie breaker rule essentially state that there can NOT be 2 wild card teams from the same division if there is a 3-way tie? Ex. If the Ravens, Broncos and Steelers all ended up at 10-6 (unlikely, I know) then we could not lose the tie-breaker to both of them, right?

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

RunYouOver
12-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Let me know if I'm interpreting this properly--Does the tie breaker rule essentially state that there can NOT be 2 wild card teams from the same division if there is a 3-way tie? Ex. If the Ravens, Broncos and Steelers all ended up at 10-6 (unlikely, I know) then we could not lose the tie-breaker to both of them, right?

Funny you should ask, and I'm not sure if you saw last week's where I interpreted it that way to. The answer? I'm not 100% positive.

Someone said that it is only to determine the first seeding, and then it resets after, but I'm not so sure...

Italianmobstr7
12-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Ravens look like they blew it! This is VERY good news for us!

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Funny you should ask, and I'm not sure if you saw last week's where I interpreted it that way to. The answer? I'm not 100% positive.

Someone said that it is only to determine the first seeding, and then it resets after, but I'm not so sure...

If a division can not have three teams in the playoffs (division winner, and both wild cards) that would be change from years past. On several occasions in the 1980's three teams from the AFC West made the playoffs.

JDL
12-08-2009, 12:20 AM

If you have 3 teams, same record, but 2 of them are from the same division, then the two division teams apply the division tiebreaker rules FIRST and whoever wins that tiebreaker then applies wild card tiebreakers rules with the other remaining team.

Thus, if Den, Baltimore and Pitt tied... first Bal/Pit would figure out who comes out of the division and then they would enter over Denver (H2H) and then if there is still a playoff spot.. the other team would apply tiebreakers with Den and move ahead because of H2H.

Good thing that is somewhat inapplicable now. I still believe absolutely that Pittsburgh will pull out of their funk and win their last 4. But, that means that Baltimore is out if we win 2 games. The scary part is that while Jacksonville has a so-called tough schedule... if we lose next week, then Indy will have no reason to play their starters the full game against them. Miami could be out by the time they meet. The only tough game they might end up with is New England... and we DO want New England to keep losing if we aren't going to catch San Diego.

But, Baltimore losing tonight was certainly HUGE for us. I don't want to see us back into the playoffs, but I'll take it. Unfortunately, I'd rather face San Diego and from that standpoint I would rather Cinci somehow clinch that 2nd seed or at least New England.

JDL
12-08-2009, 12:21 AM

No... there just can't be two teams in a 3-way tiebreaker from the same division (well there can... IF they are ALL from the same division lol.)

There MOST CERTAINLY can be 3 teams from the same division in the playoffs.

It is just a rule for when to apply the 3-way wildcard tiebreaker rules, if the division tiebreakers can be applied first they can.

Timmy!
12-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Nice, Broncos have something like a 90% chance of playing in January :D

Even if we go 2-2 the last 4, 10-6 has a GREAT chance of getting us in right now.

BroncoBJ
12-08-2009, 12:30 AM

Even if we go 2-2 the last 4, 10-6 has a GREAT chance of getting us in right now.

We have a 100 percent chance of playing in January, since we play the Chiefs the last game of the year. :P

:lol:

But yea, feels great. Just like last year. When we were 8-5. Our chances looked good lol. But a win this week would be HUGE.

But at least the Ravens lost. Now when they play Pitt, the loser will be out.

Now the Jags and Fins can knock each other off this week.

Should be a fun final 4 weeks. :elefant:

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 12:35 AM

As of right now we have a two game lead over our closest competitors for the Wild Card slots. That doesn't assure Denver of anything sure is nice to have little bit breathing room.

Timmy!
12-08-2009, 12:37 AM
As of right now we have a two game lead over our closest competitors for the Wild Card slots. That doesn't assure Denver of anything sure is nice to have little bit breathing room.

This is 100% true, but I honestly have a way more comfortable feeling than last year when we were 3 up with 3 to play. Nice to have a defense. :D

BroncoBJ
12-08-2009, 12:40 AM
This is 100% true, but I honestly have a way more comfortable feeling than last year when we were 3 up with 3 to play. Nice to have a defense. :D

Same. Last year when we were 8-5, I was really thinking we'd lose to the Panthers and the Chargers probably. And was hoping we'd beat Buffalo but was still scared.

I was thinking we'd finish 8-8 and maybe 9-7. I was just hoping the Chargers would lose to the Bucs. Or even the Chiefs. :fight:

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 12:43 AM

I agree having defense that can step up is comforting.

Timmy!
12-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Same. Last year when we were 8-5, I was really thinking we'd lose to the Panthers and the Chargers probably. And was hoping we'd beat Buffalo but was still scared.

I was thinking we'd finish 8-8 and maybe 9-7. I was just hoping the Chargers would lose to the Bucs. Or even the Chiefs. :fight:

FYI: We haven't (yet, anyway) been 8-5 this year (however probably likely).....but exactly. Last year I thought we would beat the Bills, but expected losses against SD and Car. This year, if we go 2-2 in the last 4 I just don't see how we don't get in, and probably the #5 spot, especially when you look at the schedules of Jax, Bal, and Pit (Bal and Pit play each other as well). I honestly think we go 3-1 in the last 4 and finish 11-5, but 10-6 is where the smart money is.

BroncoBJ
12-08-2009, 12:50 AM
FYI: We haven't (yet, anyway) been 8-5 this year (however probably likely).....but exactly. Last year I thought we would beat the Bills, but expected losses against SD and Car. This year, if we go 2-2 in the last 4 I just don't see how we don't get in, and probably the #5 spot, especially when you look at the schedules of Jax, Bal, and Pit (Bal and Pit play each other as well). I honestly think we go 3-1 in the last 4 and finish 11-5, but 10-6 is where the smart money is.

True that. I don't have this weeks game as a loss at all though. I really feel that we can beat them plus I'd love to hand Indy thier first loss.

But yea, Theres no way we should lose at home to the Chiefs and Raiders. I feel this team is much better then years of past where we'd have no heart and lose a home game to a team were better then. But 11-5 will definatly get us in and 10-6 will probably get us in. And at 9-7 we don't deserve to get in. :fight:

But the Ravens and Steelers don't have that tough of a schedule coming up, so its good that they play each other 1 more time. While The Fins and Jets are 1 loss away from being done and thier schedules are relativly tough. And looking at the Jags schedule, I really see them losing at least 1 more and probably 2. But we'll see. We just gotta do our thang and win our games and we won't care what happens. :lol:

Hopefully in a few weeks were rooting for Cincy to lose so we can lock up a 2 seed. :elefant:

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 01:23 AM
True that. I don't have this weeks game as a loss at all though. I really feel that we can beat them plus I'd love to hand Indy thier first loss.

But yea, Theres no way we should lose at home to the Chiefs and Raiders. I feel this team is much better then years of past where we'd have no heart and lose a home game to a team were better then. But 11-5 will definatly get us in and 10-6 will probably get us in. And at 9-7 we don't deserve to get in. :fight:

But the Ravens and Steelers don't have that tough of a schedule coming up, so its good that they play each other 1 more time. While The Fins and Jets are 1 loss away from being done and thier schedules are relativly tough. And looking at the Jags schedule, I really see them losing at least 1 more and probably 2. But we'll see. We just gotta do our thang and win our games and we won't care what happens. :lol:

Hopefully in a few weeks were rooting for Cincy to lose so we can lock up a 2 seed. :elefant:

Neither the Ravens or the Steelers can afford to lose another game. If one or both of the do the best they can finish is 9-7 and as you said 9-7 wont get anyone into playoffs this year.

I agree the Jaguars schedule looks tough enough for them to lose as many two more games but same can also be said for the Ravens. It would surprise me if the Ravens lost to both the Steelers and the Raiders.

BroncoWave
12-08-2009, 01:27 AM
Neither the Ravens or the Steelers can afford to lose another game. If one or both of the do the best they can finish is 9-7 and as you said 9-7 wont get anyone into playoffs this year.

I agree the Jaguars schedule looks tough enough for them to lose as many two more games but same can also be said for the Ravens. It would surprise me if the Ravens lost to both the Steelers and the Raiders.

I think the 6 seed could be had at 9-7. I think the Jags will drop 2, and unless one of the 6-6 teams runs the table 9-7 could get the last spot. 10-6 will basically guarantee the WC this year.

RunYouOver
12-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Just one bump for this :D

Medford Bronco
12-09-2009, 06:05 PM

I think you can have two WC teams from the same division if the tie breakers between the 3 teams falls in favor of the two in one division.

example
(yes I KNOW KC is not going 10-6 this is for illustrative purposes)
say
Denver 10-6 with 8-4 conference record (splitting the season series
KC for sake of argument 10-6 8-4 conference record

Baltimore 10-6 8-4 conference record.

The next tie breaker would be common opponents and if denver and KC had a better record vs common opponnets than Baltimore then they would be the wc

common opponents

denver 4-2
KC 3-3
Bal 3-3

it would not matter that Balt beat denver in a 3way tie

see nfl.com for more details

JDL
12-10-2009, 02:54 AM
I think you can have two WC teams from the same division if the tie breakers between the 3 teams falls in favor of the two in one division.

example
(yes I KNOW KC is not going 10-6 this is for illustrative purposes)
say
Denver 10-6 with 8-4 conference record (splitting the season series
KC for sake of argument 10-6 8-4 conference record

Baltimore 10-6 8-4 conference record.

The next tie breaker would be common opponents and if denver and KC had a better record vs common opponnets than Baltimore then they would be the wc

common opponents

denver 4-2
KC 3-3
Bal 3-3

it would not matter that Balt beat denver in a 3way tie

see nfl.com for more details

This is wrong.

Denver and KC would settle their tie first.

1) you didn't say if they had the same division record, that comes first.
2) Denver ultimately wins out otherwise by better common opponent.

THEN AND ONLY THEN - do they match up with Baltimore

Denver and Baltimore then enter wildcard tiebreakers ALONE and Baltimore won H2H and so Baltimore gets the nod.

Then you start over.

Denver and KC are tied and go through the same tiebreaker process before which ends in Denver winning Common Opponent.

I am trying to think of a plain english way to state this for people.

Division Teams tied break their tiebreakers first.

Theoretically the most teams you can have tied for any playoff spot are 4!

1) you could have 4 division teams tied for their division championship.

or

2) 1 team from EACH division. Theoretically, EVERY single non-division winner could be tied... each division uses in-division tiebreakers (all the way through to Common Opponent, Strength of Victory) until the in-division tie is broken... then THAT team and ONLY that team are matched up with non-division teams with the same record and their tie is broken.. then you start ALL over for the last wildcard spot (if available.)

Hopefully, that somehow makes some sense.

JDL
12-10-2009, 03:03 AM

Actually, we have a 1 game lead over Jax. and realistically, not even that. We really have some fractional lead over them as we lose any tie with them (unless another team gets to 10-6 that is not Balt./Pit. - Jax. will win any tiebreakers this year, unless we can catch them in conference record, then all sorts of possibilities open up.) As far as Bal./Pit. we have a true 1 game lead over them... in other words we can lose 1 game and they can win 1 game and still not overtake us, but if we lose 2 and they win 2, then we're screwed. It just worked out weird this year with Cinci being so good.. I would have thought that would have been a marvelous tiebreaker for us and it still might be if we can catch both them and SD, as remote as that might be.

Root for NYJ's to run the table OR for New England to lose their division (we have a head to head over them for a wildcard spot.) Root against Bal./Pit,/Jax ... no likely way to win a tiebreaker with them.