PDA

View Full Version : The Morning After: Week 13

Denver Native (Carol)
12-07-2009, 02:21 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9642

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Leading by eight points early in the third quarter, the Broncos made a special teams stand that set the tone for a dominating second half.

After deferring the game's opening kickoff, Kansas City took control of the first offensive possession. Facing a 4th-and-8 from their own 28-yard line, the Chiefs chose to attempt some trickery.

Lining up for the punt was Chiefs backup quarterback Brodie Croyle. Having none of it was tight end Richard Quinn.

"(Croyle) had the ball and I knew he was going to get ready to throw it, so I had to hurry up and make a play -- either tackle him or try to knock the ball down," Quinn said. "I just had to react."

Quinn did exactly that. Spotting Croyle's fake, he rushed directly toward him, leaping up to bat down a pass intended for long snapper Thomas Gafford.

Head Coach Josh McDaniels called Quinn's leap a "heck of a play" at that juncture.

"Whenever you break the formation and have a gadget-type play, we were prepared and we split out with them," McDaniels said. "But you are never sure who they are trying to pick for or who they are trying to spring free. That was a big play in the game because we obviously took possession of the football in their territory."

Gaining control at the Kansas City 28-yard line, the Broncos offense converted that Chiefs miscue into a 44-yard Matt Prater field goal. Leading 17-6, Denver secured a double-digit lead for the remainder of the game.

The coverage unit's recognition of that play demonstrated that they had learned their Week 10 lesson. Redskins punter Hunter Smith had duped the defense into a 35-yard fake field goal for a touchdown in that contest, and Darrell Reid attested to the Broncos' focus since that play.

"Ever since the Washington game we've been working real hard on fakes," said Reid, who noted the team had practiced against the formation showed by the Chiefs. "We know teams are going to try us ever since that game."

MARSHALL MAKES IMPACT AT LINE OF SCRIMMAGE

Sunday's 31-point win over the Chiefs marked the 49th meeting between the two ballclubs in Kansas City. Since 1972, Arrowhead Stadium has been home to that battle and the 44 points marked an all-time high by the Broncos at the facility.

A key to that record-setting offensive performance was the 5.7 yards per play on offense. A key playmaker boosting that average was Brandon Marshall.

Marshall recorded a team-high seven catches for 94 yards, including a 49-yard reception and a 7-yard touchdown catch off of bubble screens. That push at the line of scrimmage was heavily emphasized during the team's week of preparation for the Chiefs.

"Actually we started our practice off each day this week with that play," Marshall said. "Those plays, just screen plays - just trying to get it going."

That 49-yard fourth-quarter play eventually led to Knowshon Moreno's 18-yard touchdown run, and a 41-13 lead. The Chiefs had just cut into the deficit with their first touchdown of the game -- a 4-yard run from Jamaal Charles.

With plays of that nature, Kyle Orton was able to keep the offense in steady control over the game's final minutes.

"We've got a lot of guys like that -- just give them the ball on short passes and let them do their thing, whether it's the running backs or the wide receivers or the tight ends," Orton said. "We've got a lot of guys who can make plays, not having to throw the ball 50 yards down the field."

QUICK HITS

After connecting on all three of his field goal attempts against the Chiefs, Prater has now connected on a personal-best 11 straight field goals ... By defeating the Chiefs and moving to 3-1 in division play, the Broncos are assured of a .500 or better divisional record for the 14th straight season ... With one sack against the Chiefs, Elvis Dumervil now has a league-leading 15 on the season. He is one takedown shy of Simon Fletcher's club record of 16, which was set back during the 1992 season.

NightTrainLayne
12-07-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm still not buying the idea that they defensed that fake punt very well. Looked to me that the guy Croyle was targeting was wide open if not for Quinn tipping the ball. That play was a huge momentum changer. I'm glad it went our way, and not theirs.

I think we still have some work to do on defending fake Special Teams plays among other things.

slim
12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm still not buying the idea that they defensed that fake punt very well. Looked to me that they guy Croyle was targeting was wide open if not for Quinn tipping the ball. That play was a huge momentum changer. I'm glad it went our way, and not theirs.

I think we still have some work to do on defending fakes Special Teams plays among other things.

Yes sir.

Our ST is still pretty bad...way to many penalties, for one thing.

claymore
12-07-2009, 03:30 PM
I'm still not buying the idea that they defensed that fake punt very well. Looked to me that they guy Croyle was targeting was wide open if not for Quinn tipping the ball. That play was a huge momentum changer. I'm glad it went our way, and not theirs.

I think we still have some work to do on defending fakes Special Teams plays among other things.

Yes sir.

Our ST is still pretty bad...way to many penalties, for one thing.

Dont question the machine guys.

slim
12-07-2009, 03:32 PM

Did you notice that Croyle looks a lot like Ichabod Crane?

I mean the cartoon version.

claymore
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Yes I did. We should have thrown a pumpkin at him.

NightTrainLayne
12-07-2009, 03:41 PM

I have a feeling that the Coaches' review of that particular play will be much harsher than this author's review. I know that if I saw it, and it bothered me that it bothered them.

But, the article is much happier focusing on Quinn's play of tipping the ball, then the guy running free down the middle of the field.

claymore
12-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I have a feeling that the Coaches' review of that particular play will be much harsher than this author's review. I know that if I saw it, and it bothered me that it bothered them.

But, the article is much happier focusing on Quinn's play of tipping the ball, then the guy running free down the middle of the field.

I will get flamed for mentioning all the things that bothered me yesterday. But that was one of them.

:flame:

NightTrainLayne
12-07-2009, 03:52 PM
I will get flamed for mentioning all the things that bothered me yesterday. But that was one of them.

:flame:

Several things bothered me as well, particularly our pass protection from the O-line.

If it's possible to have a 44-13 win be "ugly" then this is the poster-child for an "ugly" 44-13 win. Way too many mistakes, especially in the first half.

claymore
12-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Several things bothered me as well, particularly our pass protection from the O-line.

If it's possible to have a 44-13 win be "ugly" then this is the poster-child for an "ugly" 44-13 win. Way too many mistakes, especially in the first half.

I agree a hundred percent. Im banning myself from typing screen again. So thats all I got to say about that. :(

GEM
12-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Well, when you see Kyle getting sacked on the 3 yrd line and look up and Clady isn't defending anyone, that does seem to be a problem. Looks like the guy came in unstopped. All they did was move the rusher outside of Clady's box and he came in unimpeded.

Hali had a hell of a game yesterday.

claymore
12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Well, when you see Kyle getting sacked on the 3 yrd line and look up and Clady isn't defending anyone, that does seem to be a problem. Looks like the guy came in unstopped. All they did was move the rusher outside of Clady's box and he came in unimpeded.

one was a setup for a RB screen. And the RB ran into Clady and kinda chipped him in.

TXBRONC
12-07-2009, 04:58 PM

Scheffler was blocking Hali but he knocked him to the ground.

BCJ
12-07-2009, 05:26 PM

Yes I did. We should have thrown a pumpkin at him.

If we did, I bet we are more accurate than Croyle. Dude still hasnt won one game for his nfl career. At this rate, his hot wife will divorce him for someone better....Cutler. If she wants someone that is actually good, she will go for Orton.