PDA

View Full Version : Gold, The defense, etc.

underrated29
01-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Its been covered somewhat, but i still an not clarified on what the majority feel.

Gold has certainly gotten a bad rep after last year. Deserved or not. The thing is though, with slow running the show and his supposed blitz happy system. IS gold not the perfect fit for that? He has the speed to rush the passer, (which i am not sure he would do or matter of fact if i have ever seen him do it.), he has the speed to make up for the hole that our blitzing Lb would create. He seems to be more play well when he isnt being blocked.

And if the Dj goes back to will, and locks it up again on that side, and we draft a nice Mike (or FA) then gold seems to be the perfect guy on the other side. Nothing against winborne either. I love the name. It just sounds like a Pro bowl player, and if he can become a starter great!

Or is gold just not good and needs to take a walk.

BigDaddyBronco
01-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Gold's play has really fallen off the last couple of years. His strength was always his spead, but he has really slowed down recently. Don't know if it is age or what.

I couldn't handle some of the angles he took to the ball, and then he would wiff on the tackle or maybe just get an arm on the guy. His pass coverage (he is suppossed to be fast right) is really bad. Pretty much any tight end that wasn't strictly a blocking TE would blow right by him. I felt like gouging my eyes out sometimes watching him get beat by mediocre players.

Gold makes too much to be a backup and ST player, but Shanny seems to love him for some reason so we'll see what happens.

Just my honest opinion though.

dogfish
01-30-2008, 10:38 PM
i agree, it looks to me like he's lost at least half a step-- i wouldn't call him slow necessarily, but for an undersized guy who makes a living off of his speed, it doesn't look to be what it used to. . . i think he's over-run more plays and missed more tackles in the past year and a half than he did in his entire first contract here, and he rarely ever forces turnovers anymore (he always had stone hands, but at least he used to pop the ball out on a fairly regular basis). . .

and despite what MUG says, i think he sucks as a blitzer. . . he times them pretty well, and at one point had an awesome closing burst, but darren freakin' sproles could probably pancake him-- if anyone even thinks about blocking him he pretty much has no chance. . .

i still think he has good instincts and a high motor, but no way he's worth what we're going to be paying him next year. . . i say get 'im out of here, and for once i actually think the broncos will oblige me. . .

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
01-30-2008, 10:44 PM
gold is not the problem.

gobroncsnv
01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
We need too much improvement at the will position to entertain any thoughts of keeping Gold. He seems to be a really likeable guy, but is too much of a liability in coverage, tackling, forcing, or blitzing. It's just not enough to be only likeable. We have to do better. He's not starter material anymore, but his salary is far too much for a backup.
For a while, I thought he might be ok as a safety, but I think Lynch covers better than Ian. Sorry, but I think he's gone. (but he does seem to have a wonderful personality)

underrated29
01-30-2008, 10:53 PM
im not saying that i dont think he will be gone, because i do, but in slows defense it seems from what i know about slow that gold should fit right in. But I will take all of your opinions over what seems to fit some guys system that i have never seen in action before.

dogfish
01-30-2008, 11:51 PM
gold is not the problem.

he's not exactly the solution, either. . .

DenverBronkHoes
01-31-2008, 12:09 AM
Gold was never a great tackler... He's gotten worse at tackling for the past few years. The man has his games, dont get me wrong. But to sit and watch him simply get moved and pushed aside while the running back breaks through is getting annoying. He was always a speed guy who could cover well.... But we dont have THAT Ian Gold either. Gold's last big play was like 4 years ago against the bengals, first game of the season... He picked off Palmer and took it to the house... which was only about 25 yards away... The guy just does not cut the mustard anymore. For the money he makes he should be more productive.

period

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
01-31-2008, 12:11 AM
he's not exactly the solution, either. . .

wouldnt you rather fix the problem first.

gold is by far not the biggest problem on this team.

DenverBronkHoes
01-31-2008, 12:26 AM
gold is 1...

regardless.... we need a better LBing corps... DJ is clearly a monster... He needs to be a SMARTER player and he will be just fine. The rest of the LB positions are wide open. Gold should not be on our team next year... Theres not much need for a speedy LB anymore. We got a great young fast secondary. We need LBs can can do the job up front. We need LBs who can blitz.... ALL OF THEM, not just 1.... Ever watch Ian Gold blitz? lol....

The line is very young and will prosper with a solid group behind them. We have atleast 1 young star in Dooomervil.... possibly 1 or even 2 more..... As much as some of u may not want to believe..... our run D was due to the LB corps lack of experience at positions, poor tackling, and just simply not having Al Wilson.....

Al was one of the SMARTEST LBs in the league. Brains will take u a long way in this sport at many positions. Al was always small... He was always at that GAP TOO, and always running down the line to make a stop.... Never getting lost in a sea of blockers.... never being pushed away from the play..... Remember him whacking wheatley?

Anyway.... the guys we have now had NOTHING on Al, or a Zach, or a Ray Lewis....

As far as the rest of the D is concerned... the corners are not a problem. We have Bailey and an over rated but still pretty decent Dre Bly.... Nickel backs are a need since Foxworth pretty much was non existant most of this season. Paymah still isnt anything spectacular. The safety position is slowly getting replaced by our young studs. Anyone who does not like what Abdullah does on the field is smoking crack....

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
01-31-2008, 12:35 AM
gold is 1...

regardless.... we need a better LBing corps... DJ is clearly a monster... He needs to be a SMARTER player and he will be just fine. The rest of the LB positions are wide open. Gold should not be on our team next year... Theres not much need for a speedy LB anymore. We got a great young fast secondary. We need LBs can can do the job up front. We need LBs who can blitz.... ALL OF THEM, not just 1.... Ever watch Ian Gold blitz? lol....

The line is very young and will prosper with a solid group behind them. We have atleast 1 young star in Dooomervil.... possibly 1 or even 2 more..... As much as some of u may not want to believe..... our run D was due to the LB corps lack of experience at positions, poor tackling, and just simply not having Al Wilson.....

Al was one of the SMARTEST LBs in the league. Brains will take u a long way in this sport at many positions. Al was always small... He was always at that GAP TOO, and always running down the line to make a stop.... Never getting lost in a sea of blockers.... never being pushed away from the play..... Remember him whacking wheatley?

Anyway.... the guys we have now had NOTHING on Al, or a Zach, or a Ray Lewis....

As far as the rest of the D is concerned... the corners are not a problem. We have Bailey and an over rated but still pretty decent Dre Bly.... Nickel backs are a need since Foxworth pretty much was non existant most of this season. Paymah still isnt anything spectacular. The safety position is slowly getting replaced by our young studs. Anyone who does not like what Abdullah does on the field is smoking crack....

abdullah still sucks. for a saftey he tackles like crap.

ChampWJ
01-31-2008, 12:38 AM
Anyone who does not like what Abdullah does on the field is smoking crack....

You must have been high if you missed him put on about the sorriest display of tackling I've ever seen on more than one occasion. He might turn out to be a good player, and he has shown flashes, but he needs to remember how to wrap up a guy.

dogfish
01-31-2008, 01:29 AM
wouldnt you rather fix the problem first.

gold is by far not the biggest problem on this team.

i've said many times that i think OT and DT should be our top priorities this offseason, but that doesn't mean we can't send gold on his way also. . . if it comes right down to it, i think we could start winborn at WILL for a lot less money than we're paying gold, and experience very little if any drop off. . . i'd rather see that money go towards an extension for dj. . .

DenverBronkHoes
01-31-2008, 03:52 AM
You must have been high if you missed him put on about the sorriest display of tackling I've ever seen on more than one occasion. He might turn out to be a good player, and he has shown flashes, but he needs to remember how to wrap up a guy.

hes a young guy with good discipline... He follows through with tackles... He tackles like a hard hitting safety is supposed to... As far as missing tackles?... 80% of the defense cant tackle correctly.. I tihnk in the end THAT comes down to coaching. Honestly... out best tackler on defense could possibly be Champ Bailey.... and THAT is a problem.

Dont take it out on the 2nd year guy who has great potential.. Gold is a vet in this league and cant tackle for crap

DenBronx
01-31-2008, 12:21 PM
i used to like gold but he just doesnt seem to make an impact anymore. cut gold and bring in briggs.

BOSSHOGG30
01-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Ian Gold would be a good back up and special teams player. But he needs to go because he isn't worth what Denver pays him.

DenverBronkHoes
01-31-2008, 01:02 PM
Ian Gold would be a good back up and special teams player. But he needs to go because he isn't worth what Denver pays him.

thank you boss.....

broncohead
01-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Gold really doesn't help out our defense. LB isn't our biggest concern at this point but we need to add some talent at the position.

jrelway
01-31-2008, 09:24 PM
ughh ian gold. package him up with foxworth, and javon for some decent picks. maybe throw in travis.

pnbronco
02-01-2008, 12:45 AM
i agree, it looks to me like he's lost at least half a step-- i wouldn't call him slow necessarily, but for an undersized guy who makes a living off of his speed, it doesn't look to be what it used to. . . i think he's over-run more plays and missed more tackles in the past year and a half than he did in his entire first contract here, and he rarely ever forces turnovers anymore (he always had stone hands, but at least he used to pop the ball out on a fairly regular basis). . .

and despite what MUG says, i think he sucks as a blitzer. . . he times them pretty well, and at one point had an awesome closing burst, but darren freakin' sproles could probably pancake him-- if anyone even thinks about blocking him he pretty much has no chance. . .

i still think he has good instincts and a high motor, but no way he's worth what we're going to be paying him next year. . . i say get 'im out of here, and for once i actually think the broncos will oblige me. . .

Hey Dog, what is Gold suppose to make this year? Gold just lost something this year, he just didn't seem to have any energy out there, too many players ran past him. The first time I saw Winborn on special he did a great tackle and I thought who is that? He seems to play with a lot of heart.

Lonestar
02-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Hey Dog, what is Gold suppose to make this year? Gold just lost something this year, he just didn't seem to have any energy out there, too many players ran past him. The first time I saw Winborn on special he did a great tackle and I thought who is that? He seems to play with a lot of heart.

He made 4.4 mil against the cap last year..

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=9&year=2007

Scheduled to make base 2.75 or 450k more than last year.

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=28791

pnbronco
02-01-2008, 10:05 AM
He made 4.4 mil against the cap last year..

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?team=9&year=2007

Scheduled to make base 2.75 or 450k more than last year.

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=28791

Thanks Jrwiz for the info.