PDA

View Full Version : Henry aims to make good for Broncos

broncohead
01-29-2008, 10:26 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8104423

What do you guys think? He could still be effective but the 6 mill. kinda hurts. Opinions?

Lonestar
01-29-2008, 10:47 PM
By Bill Williamson
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 01/29/2008 01:35:13 AM MST

Travis Henry (Post file)Travis Henry spent the first month of the offseason stewing about the past season and thinking of a way to make it up to the Broncos, who must decide whether to keep him or cut him. Henry made his choice clear Monday.

"I want to make it right to the Broncos, the fans and myself," he said. "I want to be a Bronco and make it all right. I don't want to be anywhere else. I owe those people something for all that happened last year. I want to clear my name there. I'm so hungry to do right there."

What bothers Henry most about his first season in Denver and seventh in the league was that it all started so well before imploding. After the first four games, Henry led the NFL in rushing and looked the part of the tailback the Broncos made a priority in free agency and spent $22.5 million over five years to obtain.

Then in early October, word of an alleged positive drug test broke and Henry faced a possible one-year suspension. He filed a lawsuit against the NFL over the test, and after a 54-day saga, Henry won an NFL appeal to keep playing. However, Henry suffered a series of knee and rib injuries that ruined his season. In the final 12 games of the season, Henry missed four games and didn't have more than 65 yards in a single game. He didn't have a carry in the season finale against Minnesota.

"It was my toughest season," Henry said. "It was a big distraction for everyone, and then I started getting hurt. It was just a bad season all around."

Henry said he felt pressure in August when a lawsuit was filed against him in Georgia for child support. The suit disclosed that Henry had fathered nine children by nine women.

"All this stuff about my kids came out, and that hurt," Henry said. "I just want to forget about this season and be the best I can be for the Denver Broncos. I really want to make it work for the Broncos. I love that system and that history, and I know I can do well there. I just want that chance."

The Broncos owe Henry $6 million in option bonus money, and the team has had preliminary talks with his agent about the future. While there is a chance Henry could be a salary cap casualty in the next month, the team would like to keep him because he is a bruising back, and he would complement the faster, younger but injury-prone Selvin Young. Henry said he is keeping out of the financial affairs, but it is clear he wants to return.

"I'm already back in Denver working out," Henry said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8104423

I hope they can make a deal to keep him here $6 mil is way to much for him.. IMO

Cut it by 2/3 and it is about right still on the high end..

broncohead
01-29-2008, 10:52 PM
If he wants to make it right to the broncos and their fans then take a pay cut and prove yourself. It would be hard to let him go because trying to fill that spot will be hard. Selvin IMO isn't a full time back and neither is hall. They are both change of pace backs.

DenBronx
01-29-2008, 11:13 PM
quick question, why did the first thread on this get locked???

anyhow, i think this is great news. i still think henry is a good fit for the broncos. if we get rid of him then that only leaves another area that will need to be addressed. seems like henry has already made up his mind that he will take less and prove himself to the team.

i wonder if walker read this yet. maybe he could learn something if he did.

Lonestar
01-29-2008, 11:14 PM
If he wants to make it right to the broncos and their fans then take a pay cut and prove yourself. It would be hard to let him go because trying to fill that spot will be hard. Selvin IMO isn't a full time back and neither is hall. They are both change of pace backs.

I agree but henry is not worth 1.5 mil IMO per year.. Now if they give him a heavy incentive based contract like they did to Clarette OK by me if he earns it he can have it..

But he has to work for it first.. The sky is the limit then..

tubby
01-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Take a pay cut Hoss. Then run your ass off.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
01-30-2008, 12:18 AM
pay the man and let him play.

dont force everyone to take pay cuts. we dont need to piss the whole team off. however if he doesnt have a problem with playing for less then im all for it.

DenBronx
01-30-2008, 01:01 AM
pay the man and let him play.

dont force everyone to take pay cuts. we dont need to piss the whole team off. however if he doesnt have a problem with playing for less then im all for it.

clearly he doesnt....i think he will come back healthy next year and ready to pound the ball. seems like he is really motivated. i cant help but think he is embarassed by last season. if he restructures then that will help us get a couple of good free agents.

topscribe
01-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Henry was brought here for a reason, amid a lot of hoopla and excitement. He
showed the first five games of the season that they had chosen a good
player for the position. As Shanny said, he is the same guy he was in those
first five games.

Henry flat wants to be a Bronco. A little different from some of the other stuff
we've been hearing lately, isn't it? I don't want Henry going anywhere, now.

-----

mopatt24
01-30-2008, 01:40 AM
No question Henry wants to be a Bronco. A while back 9798 said Henry would probably take the pay cut to stay, and I believe that now too. Have to admit though, the guy ran hard and well for us before the season went sour. I wasn't at first, but after watching some film of him this year, I'm all for him staying with a pay cut.

I still say we draft a RB in the later rounds though. A Tashard Choice or a Chauncey Washington

Bronco4ever
01-30-2008, 01:46 AM
I remember him being interviewed on ESPN news when he was first signed. Said he wasn't going to be a distraction and yada yada... sounds like the same ole same ole from T Hen. It's just amazing how many times he's had to say this stuff and not back it up once. One would think you would learn from your stupid mistakes when you are closing in on 30. As far as his future with Denver, we can't really afford to let him go. Hall and Young are too fragile to carry the load by themselves this year unfortunately. For the time being, I'll keep my fingers crossed that Henry's ego has been bruised enough and maybe he can stop being a distraction for once in his career. If not, we need to give him the boot after next year.

Stargazer
01-30-2008, 02:15 AM
Of'course Henry wants to stay and earn money. He's not worth jack on the open market.

broncosfanscott
01-30-2008, 03:02 AM
I am glad Henry want to stay and a pay cut would be a good choice considering what has happened this year and just in case he deciedes to be an idiot again. I liked what I saw in the beginning of the year and hopefully this scared him enough so that he will start acting like an adult. Shanny better make it perfectly clear to Henry that this will NOT be tolerated anymore.

Henry is a good RB and doses of him and Young (the whole season for both) will be big in our running game. I hope it works out.

Bozo Jr.
01-30-2008, 07:04 AM
I say give him one more chance. As we all have seen, Henry ran the ball tough early in the season. Theres no question that a healthy Hoss is a productive Hoss. Plus, he seems like he has something to prove which can be a huge factor for a player. Randy Moss is an example. Henry likes being a Bronco, and thats O.K. in my book. :salute:

MileHighWrath
01-30-2008, 09:24 AM
It's mostly all mute. He's not going anywhere, like it or not Henry and the Broncos are stuck to each other for at least one more season. It IS nice to hear him suck it up, declare his determination to make it right with the team, city and fans, etc. Whether a pay cut or renegotiation happens or not, all I really care about is T. Henry putting up 1500+ yards rushing in 08-09. The real question in my mind is; can he stay healthy for a full year?

BOSSHOGG30
01-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Broncos need to find a way to use him without over working him. His running style doesn't work for a 16 game schedule plus playoffs. His body wears down.

tubby
01-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Broncos need to find a way to use him without over working him. His running style doesn't work for a 16 game schedule plus playoffs. His body wears down.

I heard he will be working out at a dojo this offseason. That should remedy the problem. :salute:

topscribe
01-30-2008, 11:46 AM

Maybe if Henry takes a sabbatical from producing kids that will help? :laugh:

-----

BOSSHOGG30
01-30-2008, 12:14 PM
I think he need to do a better job of learning when it is necassary to take the big hit and when it is time to take what the defense gives you.

yardog
01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Maybe he should come down spend the weekend with Hoes and then go take a drug test if he wants to help the Broncos.

Lonestar
01-30-2008, 01:39 PM
It's mostly all mute. He's not going anywhere, like it or not Henry and the Broncos are stuck to each other for at least one more season. It IS nice to hear him suck it up, declare his determination to make it right with the team, city and fans, etc. Whether a pay cut or renegotiation happens or not, all I really care about is T. Henry putting up 1500+ yards rushing in 08-09. The real question in my mind is; can he stay healthy for a full year?

I agree I hope he will take a cut in pay and go with an incentive based contract..

I also want to take a swipe at those that ballyhoo him as a great RB It was posted in another thread somewhere that the first few games were hardly something to write home about considering the defenses he played against none of them stellar..

BANJOPICKER1
01-30-2008, 09:32 PM
I think your whole statement is wrong,they are not stuck with him..I do however hope we keep Henry because I think if he stays healthy, he could win us many games..:D

WARHORSE
01-31-2008, 01:28 AM
Its called incentives.

We'll give you all the money you want, as long as you produce.

Youre happy.

We're happy.

GO BRONCOS.

weazel
01-31-2008, 08:59 PM
I dont understand why everyone on the team should take a paycut... if you dont think you can pay them what you signed them for, then dont sign them. Denver is quickly becoming a team that FA's will not sign with, and this is one of the reasons.

Zweems56
01-31-2008, 09:04 PM
I dont understand why everyone on the team should take a paycut... if you dont think you can pay them what you signed them for, then dont sign them. Denver is quickly becoming a team that FA's will not sign with, and this is one of the reasons.

Right... because nothing demands proper compensation like under performing.... VASTLY under performing.

jrelway
01-31-2008, 09:21 PM
take a paycut, keep him. put a clause in his contract, you smoke, your out with no $$..obviously henry never learns from his mistakes, which is a shame.

broncosfanscott
02-01-2008, 09:09 PM
take a paycut, keep him. put a clause in his contract, you smoke, your out with no $$..obviously henry never learns from his mistakes, which is a shame.

I hear on that one. They better put some clause in there somewhere now.