PDA

View Full Version : Petition Barrel Man to the Ring of Fame!!!

Crush05
12-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Let's start it here and now! Sign below....

Chris Roach (crush05)

honz
12-05-2009, 11:45 PM
I have a lot of love for the Barrel Man, but Ring of Fame? Child please.

Crush05
12-05-2009, 11:47 PM

Your telling me the greatest Broncos fan of all time does not deserve the honor!! I beg to differ. Honz I would have to say I have lost some respect for you in your comment.:tsk:

Superchop 7
12-06-2009, 12:47 AM
He is in the "hall" of fame.

It would be a travesty if he wasn't in the "ring" of fame.

This is "our" history.

Pat, do the right thing.

Northman
12-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Word, he belongs.

sneakers
12-06-2009, 12:53 AM
what?

KCL
12-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Only problem with doing it this way...alot of people do not want their
name posted on a message board...not saying it's not a great idea but there
has to be a different way for people to sign a petition and keep their name
out of view from others that also sign it.

honz
12-06-2009, 01:33 AM
I said I have a lot of love for the man and he was a great fan, but the Ring should be reserved for players and coaches. Maybe Pat too whenever he decides to step down.

SoCalImport
12-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Memorialize him, A ten foot mural, a Statue...something, but the ring of fame is for players and coaches.

Crush05
12-06-2009, 06:14 PM
So tell me if a fan can be inducted into the HOF why not our ROF???/

frauschieze
12-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Thinking about this a while longer.....

I know that the Ring of Fame is for players and administrators who played a significant role in Broncos history, but I think that Barrel Man DID play a significant role even though he was not technically an administrator. He meant a lot to the team throughout the years and so although he was not an official part of the team, he ought to be eligible. Maybe give him an honorary administrative role retroactively so he meets qualifications.

We have a mandatory five year waiting period before a player or administrator can be inducted into the Ring. The only person for whom this waiting period was waived was John Elway. McKernan hung up his barrel in 2007. As big as his impact was to all of us as fans, we have a couple years still until it would even be appropriate to induct McKernan.

pnbronco
12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Barrel Man is not in The Hall Of Fame he is in the Visa Hall of Fans.

Premier NFL Fan Recognition Program Celebrates Its Fifth Anniversary at Super Bowl XXXVII; 'Texan Freak,' 'Darth Raider' and 'Cowboy Bob' Set to Join Fellow Avid Football Fans 'Boss Hogette,' 'Birdman' and 'Barrelman' in the Visa Hall Of Fans at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

PR Newswire | January 17, 2003 | COPYRIGHT 2003 PR Newswire Association LLC.

I have to agree with SoCal on this one. Have a special place to recognize fans like Visa has done, but the Ring is reserved for players and coaches.

weazel
12-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Let's start it here and now! Sign below....

Chris Roach (crush05)

no...

girler
12-06-2009, 08:20 PM
I think there will be an appropriate way found to honor his fanship (word?) and memory. I doubt there is any other fan out there who froze his cajones (literally) week after week, year after year like he did. Pat, the organization, and everyone will make sure he is officially honored. :salute: Personally I'd prefer something visual- a portrait/painting/statue instead of just his name or "the barrel man" on the ring. That's just me though. :noidea:

KCL
12-06-2009, 09:23 PM
I think there will be an appropriate way found to honor his fanship (word?) and memory. I doubt there is any other fan out there who froze his cajones (literally) week after week, year after year like he did. Pat, the organization, and everyone will make sure he is officially honored. :salute: Personally I'd prefer something visual- a portrait/painting/statue instead of just his name or "the barrel man" on the ring. That's just me though. :noidea:

Gotta hand it to the guy for all he did and what he went through during those cold games...did he also go to away games?

Crush05
12-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Gotta hand it to the guy for all he did and what he went through during those cold games...did he also go to away games?

Yes he did as a matter of fact your home crowd hit him in the face with multiple snowballs and he kept rooting on the Broncos.

KCL
12-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Yes he did as a matter of fact your home crowd hit him in the face with multiple snowballs and he kept rooting on the Broncos.

I had read that in a thread but I was thinking someone said it was another team that did that...he was a hell of a fan...sad that he had to give it up a couple of years ago and sad that he got sick.

Magnificent Seven
12-06-2009, 11:56 PM
I think that Broncos Organization should create a special statue of Barrel Man. Locate the statue of Barrel Man by the Invesco Field Stadium.

Dirk
12-07-2009, 06:36 AM
Some kind of ceremony maybe and a painting or something at Invesco. But NOT on the ROF.

I mean, there are many fans that have stuck by the Broncos. My second cousin is one of them. He has held season tickets since they became available. Donated to Broncos causes. Etc. He never wore a barrel to a game but he was at every home game and continues to do so and he is in his 80s now.

So to put him on the ROF is kind of a knock on a lot of other "die hard" fans. Not to mention a lot of Broncos that aren't but should be there.

So yeah, I think a painting or picture blown up a bit should be at Invesco, but not the ROF.

This is of course MHO.

AlWilsonizKING
12-07-2009, 08:05 AM
I mean, there are many fans that have stuck by the Broncos. My second cousin is one of them. He has held season tickets since they became available. Donated to Broncos causes. Etc. He never wore a barrel to a game but he was at every home game and continues to do so and he is in his 80s now.

I like to think he was the voice and face of the Broncos fans.

Every Broncos fan can argue that they or someone they know is the biggest Broncos fans ever, but most football fans know who the Barrel man was and what he meant to the Bronc's. I like the idea of putting him in the ROF.......better yet why not start a "Wall of Fans" or something of that nature. I like to think he was a Bronco....for all he did to get the crowd loud and noisy, getting the wave started, etc....he was a Bronco!!!

BTW, why does everybody forget the Broncos Leprechan(sp) who has been around forever also........

PEACE!!!

Dzone
12-07-2009, 08:17 AM
he was a big part of bronco mania and some kind of tribute mural would be cool. Ring of Fame? No.

weazel
12-07-2009, 12:42 PM
I think they should create a national holiday for him! Maybe erect a 200 foot statue in Washington!

I mean it was a guy in a barrel, Maybe he should replace Santa Clause...

AlWilsonizKING
12-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I think they should create a national holiday for him! Maybe erect a 200 foot statue in Washington!

I mean it was a guy in a barrel, Maybe he should replace Santa Clause...

Maybe we should all just be sheep that follow what every other sheep does. Because then we wouldn't have all these individuals that make us feel less important and we wouldn't feel the need to make them fall from thier pedistool.

:rolleyes:

PEACE!!!

weazel
12-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Maybe we should all just be sheep that follow what every other sheep does. Because then we wouldn't have all these individuals that make us feel less important and we wouldn't feel the need to make them fall from thier pedistool.

:rolleyes:

PEACE!!!

I feel bad for the man and his family.

I just don't think sitting naked in a barrel is an accomplishment. I think it's stupid as hell. I also don't like face painters, cheeseheads, pig nose losers, raider fans with swords orany other useless fanboy tools...

Each to their own, I'm not telling you not to do anything, I am just saying a guy wearing a barrel does not belong in the ROF.

BTW... pedestal

pnbronco
12-07-2009, 01:06 PM
This is from the Pro Football Ultimate Fan Assoc or PFUFA web site.

http://www.pfufa.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=44

To all Fans of Professional Football,

This year the Pro Football Hall of Fame and PFUFA, as with the entire country, has gone (is going through) a vast amount of change. As the President of PFUFA, it is my duty to inform you on one piece of that change.

I regret to inform you that the “Hall of Fans” display is no longer in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and its future in the Hall of Fame is undetermined at this time. This information was verified by me and other PFUFA members at our 2009 Annual PFUFA Reunion.

This is not something our group wants to hear, but it’s now reality and we need to move forward--in which ever direction that is. Here is as much information I have on this subject at this time.

In January 1999, Visa (in partnership with the NFL and the Pro Football Hall of Fame) sponsored a program in which fans could be recognized and honored in the Hall of Fame in the “Hall of Fans” display. For each year after, until 2005, Visa selected one fan from each team and had their plaques made and put on display in the Hall. The last class selected was the Class of 2004, and due to corporate sponsorship, licensing, and NFL contracts, the program was concluded. At this time, there has been talk about finding a ‘new sponsor,’ but nothing has been signed.

The Hall of Fans was a promotion that Visa sponsored and did so for 5 years, I think. They took one fan from each team during that time. The second year it was "Bronco Betty" or Ellen as some of you may know. I did not recognize the other 3 names.

I'm sure the Broncos will do some type of nice memorial for Tim.

AlWilsonizKING
12-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Each to their own, I'm not telling you not to do anything, I am just saying a guy wearing a barrel belongs in the ROF.

So what are you saying?

BTW... pedestal

Thanks....I never claimed to be a spelling champ...:rolleyes:

PEACE!!!

weazel
12-07-2009, 01:16 PM
So what are you saying?

Thanks....I never claimed to be a spelling champ...:rolleyes:

PEACE!!!

typo, I meant DOES NOT belong in the ROF. ... I didn't claim to be a grammar champ.

I didn't know they had a Hall of Fans... now that is perfect! It's too bad it's being discontinued. I'm sure it wouldn't cost a ton of money for the sponsor, they should really try to get one or more companies to sponsor it again. I'm sure a big sports retailer could do something... maybe Reebok can put some of the money they make on $250 buck jerseys back into something for the fans and sport.

slim
12-07-2009, 01:36 PM
You guys make me laugh.

Thanks!

BCJ
12-07-2009, 06:00 PM
I would love to see a statue of him in his barrel. Tim was the forefront (but not the first) of what the 12th man meant in Denver. Every football fan knows Barrelman. He could be inside or outside the stadium as you walk in. I hope Denver is setting up a dedication to him (if not done so at the Chargers game) in an upcoming game. He deserves something and we can all help continue the gratitude of Tim by being the best 12th man in the NFL. No pansies allowed. So if you park in Lot C and arrive 15 minutes before game time.....never mind. Those types would never get on a message board.

weazel
12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
I would love to see a statue of him in his barrel. Tim was the forefront (but not the first) of what the 12th man meant in Denver. Every football fan knows Barrelman. He could be inside or outside the stadium as you walk in. I hope Denver is setting up a dedication to him (if not done so at the Chargers game) in an upcoming game. He deserves something and we can all help continue the gratitude of Tim by being the best 12th man in the NFL. No pansies allowed. So if you park in Lot C and arrive 15 minutes before game time.....never mind. Those types would never get on a message board.

can you give me 1 legitimate reason someone should shell out money for a statue of a naked man in a barrel?

Has this whole world gone crazy?

Denver Native (Carol)
12-07-2009, 10:19 PM
On the Broncos main site, they have a picture of the Barrel Man on it. I hope they keep it on there :salute: http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Also, members on here might think it is crazy to suggest the Barrel Man be included on the Ring of Fame, but many past Bronco players had nothing but great things to say about him.

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 12:26 AM
On the Broncos main site, they have a picture of the Barrel Man on it. I hope they keep it on there :salute: http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Also, members on here might think it is crazy to suggest the Barrel Man be included on the Ring of Fame, but many past Bronco players had nothing but great things to say about him.

I'm trying to be obnoxious but Tim getting props from former players doesn't mean he should go into the Ring of Fame. The Ring of Fame as far as I know was created to honor former players and coaches not fans. That's not meant as slight against him but just how does one measure impact a one particular fan on the success of the organization?

frauschieze
12-08-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm trying to be obnoxious but Tim getting props from former players doesn't mean he should go into the Ring of Fame. The Ring of Fame as far as I know was created to honor former players and coaches not fans. That's not meant as slight against him but just how does one measure impact a one particular fan on the success of the organization?

The Ring of Fame is specifically for former players and administrators. That means coaches, owners, employees, staff, volunteers, etc. are all potentially eligible. It means it's possible for them to induct someone like McKernan, depending on how the powers that be decide to interpret the word.

Is it likely to happen? Probably not.

To answer the question in the last sentence, it depends on your definition of success. Success can be measure in Lombardis but also in dollars. There is no doubt that his enthusiasm, his steadfast devotion to the team, but most of all the recognition he brought to the team (every person who watches football on occasion knows who he was) had an impact on Broncos' bottom line. He was an icon, forever tied to the brand the Broncos have created. Maybe it's not something that can be definitively stated. But to deny that his effect has been far greater than any other fan in Denver's history is naive, IMO.

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 01:03 AM
The Ring of Fame is specifically for former players and administrators. That means coaches, owners, employees, staff, volunteers, etc. are all potentially eligible. It means it's possible for them to induct someone like McKernan, depending on how the powers that be decide to interpret the word.

Is it likely to happen? Probably not.

To answer the question in the last sentence, it depends on your definition of success. Success can be measure in Lombardis but also in dollars. There is no doubt that his enthusiasm, his steadfast devotion to the team, but most of all the recognition he brought to the team (every person who watches football on occasion knows who he was) had an impact on Broncos' bottom line. He was an icon, forever tied to the brand the Broncos have created. Maybe it's not something that can be definitively stated. But to deny that his effect has been far greater than any other fan in Denver's history is naive, IMO.

While I didn't say owners, other and administrators and so forth I knew that they were eligible. I don't know if there really is much wiggle room there for intrepretation.

Dirk
12-08-2009, 06:25 AM
It surprises me that there is this much debate on this subject.

I give the "Barrel Man" his due props. And wish his family the best and may he R.I.P.

But the ROF is a little over the top IMO. I think the Broncos should have a Fan Appreciation area at the stadium and immortalize him in such an area. Leave the ROF for those that are actually Broncos players or employees.

TXBRONC
12-08-2009, 08:53 AM
It surprises me that there is this much debate on this subject.

I give the "Barrel Man" his due props. And wish his family the best and may he R.I.P.

But the ROF is a little over the top IMO. I think the Broncos should have a Fan Appreciation area at the stadium and immortalize him in such an area. Leave the ROF for those that are actually Broncos players or employees.

Agreed. The Ring is intended to honor former players, employees, and owners I don't think that should be messed with. I think your idea of an area at the stadium being set aside for fan appreciation isn't a bad idea.

weazel
12-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I think the Bears should make a statue for Mike Pantazis. I mean the guy did something more spectacular than wearing a barrel... Dude jumped out of his seat into the tunnel to catch an extra point! Come to think of it, the Bears could use a guy that could catch like that, right now!

Statue, Hall of Fame, National Holiday, and the key to the world!

AlWilsonizKING
12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
I think the Bears should make a statue for Mike Pantazis. I mean the guy did something more spectacular than wearing a barrel... Dude jumped out of his seat into the tunnel to catch an extra point! Come to think of it, the Bears could use a guy that could catch like that, right now!

Statue, Hall of Fame, National Holiday, and the key to the world!

Someone sounds bitter because the conversation about the biggest fan isn't about them.......hmmmmm

PEACE!!!

weazel
12-10-2009, 12:23 PM

a lot of players have nothing but good things to say about a big mac, as well. I guess we should add McDonalds to the ROF!

weazel
12-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Someone sounds bitter because the conversation about the biggest fan isn't about them.......hmmmmm

PEACE!!!

LMAO... yes, thats it.

no, I just think a jackass wearing a barrel is not an accomplishment. It's actually sad.

Dirk
12-10-2009, 01:14 PM
LMAO... yes, thats it.

no, I just think a jackass wearing a barrel is not an accomplishment. It's actually sad.

:tsk:

I don't agree with the ROF honor....but that's just not right.

AlWilsonizKING
12-10-2009, 04:32 PM
LMAO... yes, thats it.

:tsk: Now you're just crossing the line of being a jerk.....to call someone that on a thread dedicated to him and what he meant to the Broncos and thier fans is just plain WRONG!

PEACE!!!

weazel
12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
if it's such a great thing to do, why isn't there more people doing it?

answer... 'cause it's stupid.

Poet
12-10-2009, 05:48 PM

Please leave Ocho out of this.

I think it would be a nice gesture to show fans (specifically him) respect.