PDA

View Full Version : How do the Broncos matchup against likely AFC playoff contenders

Tned
12-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Well, a few days ago, RYO did an "if the season ended today" thread. That got me thinking about how we will stack up against other AFC teams if we make it into the playoffs.

About the only AFC team guaranteed to make the playoffs is Indy. In a little over seven days we will get a chance to see if we are in the same caliber as Indy.

As to the rest, the AFC teams in the hunt for a playoff spot: Cincy, Chargers, Pats, Jags, Ravens, Steelers and Jets.

We didn't fare too well in our losses to SD, Bal and Pit, but does that mean we will have the same results if we meet them again in the playoffs?

While we have a ways to go before clinching a playoff birth, how do you think we match up against the teams we are likely to face?

T.K.O.
12-05-2009, 06:31 PM
i'm still in shock after we lost 4 in a row and possibly gave away the div title ,i hate to speculate....i agree we will see if we have a prayer when we face indy...win that game and i'll say anything is possible.
lose to kc and i think its over :confused:

Northman
12-05-2009, 06:32 PM
I think Denver can beat any of them even though we have lost to a few of them. Its just a matter of showing up as a team and doing the things necessary to win the game. If not, they can lose to any team there. Its really not rocket science.

spikerman
12-05-2009, 06:34 PM
This year it really depends on which team shows up. I think the Broncos we saw the first six weeks and again Thanksgiving night can compete with anybody. The team we saw the four weeks in between would be crushed in any playoff game.

Even when playing their best, I don't like the Broncos' chances against the Chargers or the Colts. I only say that because the Broncos offense seems to struggle to score points. I could very easily see those games becoming shootouts. If that happens Denver is in serious trouble. If they play any of those other teams and they play their best, the games could become defensive struggles where anything could happen. I think games like that are Denver's best chance to make some noise this year.

Tned
12-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I think Denver can beat any of them even though we have lost to a few of them. Its just a matter of showing up as a team and doing the things necessary to win the game. If not, they can lose to any team there. Its really not rocket science.

The only team I am not sure we have a shot against is Indy, but I am hoping my feeling will change after next weekend. Doesn't mean we have to beat Indy, but play a solid game, where we are actually "in" the game.

BroncoWave
12-05-2009, 06:36 PM
The only team I DON'T want to see in the first round is NE. Belichick rarely loses to his former coaches once, you gotta believe he's going to do everything it takes to prevent it from happening twice. I'd much rather face SD or Cincy in the first round. Past that round though you can't really complain because it's going to be tough regardless.

Brand
12-05-2009, 07:13 PM
I have not ruled out a possible Division for the Broncos. I think the Chuggers will lose to Tennesee, Dallas and Cincinatti. If Denver loses to Indy and is able to win the Philly game, that is the Division on a platter provided Denver takes care of business with the KC and Chokeland games.....

If the Broncos get a home game, then I think they would have a chance, even against NE. The vets on this team have not all been to the playoffs in some time, and they will want to make the best of it (read Dawkins and Champ). The week to prepare and heal the wounds would help.

If it comes to that, I would not be at all disheartened by a "one and done" scenario. It would still be a very good poke in the eye with a sharp stick to many of the "Experts" and to many doubting Thomases in Broncoland. And a nice feather in Orton's cap as well as the coaches.....

HORSEPOWER 56
12-05-2009, 07:26 PM
It's all about how we play down the stretch. If the Giants game was a sign of us "getting hot at the right time", then I think we have a chance to play with/beat anybody.

Now is the time for this team to wake up and go all out every game. They have to finally put it all together and play complete games (offense, defense and STs) if we want to even make the playoffs. Even teams like KC and Oakland that are mathematically eliminated at this point are putting up a fight and would love to play spoiler (like they did to the Steelers and Bengals). At the least we have to win the games we're supposed to win and hope we play well in the other two.

If we win out, I think we'll run the table. If we don't we'll probably get bounced in the wild card round.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-05-2009, 07:29 PM
The only team I DON'T want to see in the first round is NE. Belichick rarely loses to his former coaches once, you gotta believe he's going to do everything it takes to prevent it from happening twice. I'd much rather face SD or Cincy in the first round. Past that round though you can't really complain because it's going to be tough regardless.

I'd rather see NE than any other team. We've already beaten them and the Saints just put on a clinic for how to take advantage of their defense. The teams I fear the most are Indy (because they always beat us) and SD (because they're playing really good ball right now. I wouldn't want to see Pittsburgh again, either. Those guys know how to win in the playoffs.

Ravage!!!
12-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I'd rather see NE than any other team. We've already beaten them and the Saints just put on a clinic for how to take advantage of their defense. The teams I fear the most are Indy (because they always beat us) and SD (because they're playing really good ball right now. I wouldn't want to see Pittsburgh again, either. Those guys know how to win in the playoffs.

Hmmm.... well.... I dont' think we have a Drew Breese on the team. Thats not a bash, but it is a fact. We couldn't put the smack down on NE like NO did no matter how many times we watched that game on film.

as far as who I think we match up well for the playoffs.... I wouldn't want to face Indy, NE, Baltimore, or Pitt.

BroncoWave
12-05-2009, 10:24 PM

The Saints offense is doing that to EVERYONE. They didn't make any blueprint as to how to beat the Pats because that's just how they are beating everyone. I forget what Belichick's record is when playing a team for a 2nd time in a season but it is pretty damn good. He will still be stewing from that loss to us and he won't leave anything in the bag to win that game. Plus, the game would be at their place. I just don't want any part of that scenario. I hope they get the bye just so we don't have to worry about them in R1.

Poet
12-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Denver vs. any of the AFCN teams would be a dog fight. I think you could beat Baltimore, lose to Pittsburgh and against Cincinnati it'd be a coin flip.

Superchop 7
12-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Not well.

Shazam!
12-06-2009, 01:59 AM
In a little over seven days we will get a chance to see if we are in the same caliber as Indy.

Denver is not.

BroncoBJ
12-06-2009, 02:18 AM
I think we match up pretty good considering we have beaten 3 AFC Division leaders right now and play a 4th next week. :elefant:

But the playoffs is a different story. I'd rather face a team like the Pats or Indy, then a Pitt or a Baltimore. :fight: Or even a San Diego.

Nomad
12-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Denver vs. any of the AFCN teams would be a dog fight. I think you could beat Baltimore, lose to Pittsburgh and against Cincinnati it'd be a coin flip.

As long as the game isn't in Baltimore!!!

broncofaninfla
12-06-2009, 09:56 AM
It comes down to game planning. In each of our losses we were clearly out coached. If the rights schemes are in place for the talent we currently have on our roster I'd give us a sluggers chance against anybody.

BroncoWave
12-06-2009, 11:04 AM
As long as the game isn't in Baltimore!!!

Well Baltimore isn't making the playoffs and even if they did it would be as a wildcard along with us so I don't think we have to worry about playing them again.

Nomad
12-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Well Baltimore isn't making the playoffs and even if they did it would be as a wildcard along with us so I don't think we have to worry about playing them again.

Calm down, it was a hypothetical comment! I know the chances are slim to none, but King said we could beat the Ravens and being the BRONCOS never win in Baltimore, I said as long as it's not there!

BroncoWave
12-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Calm down, it was a hypothetical comment! I know the chances are slim to none, but King said we could beat the Ravens and being the BRONCOS never win in Baltimore, I said as long as it's not there!

How was I not calm? :confused:

I was simply making a point. :noidea:

Dean
12-06-2009, 04:28 PM
With the Raiders beating the Steelers, that is one team that gives use problems that may be at home watching the play-offs.

It's way to early for opptimism but Cleavland is leading the Chargers.

Tned
12-06-2009, 05:14 PM

If Baltimore wins tomorrow, they are in a three way tie for the final wildcard spot. Whether or not they can advance if they clinch a wildcard spot, only time will tell.

BroncoWave
12-06-2009, 05:31 PM
If Baltimore wins tomorrow, they are in a three way tie for the final wildcard spot. Whether or not they can advance if they clinch a wildcard spot, only time will tell.

Well I said that assuming the Steelers would win today but still, if we and Baltimore get the wild cards, there is like a 1% chance we play them.

Tned
12-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Well I said that assuming the Steelers would win today but still, if we and Baltimore get the wild cards, there is like a 1% chance we play them.

Ahh, I didn't notice that post was from this morning. Pit winning looked like a pretty safe bet.

Not sure what the percentage is, but I agree it is unlikely that if we are both wildcard teams we advance and play each other. However, us winning the division isn't completely out of the question, and if we did there are scenarios where we could meet in the first round.

TXBRONC
12-06-2009, 05:41 PM
I think we would match up well against the Patriots, Bengals, and Chargers.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I think we would match up well against the Patriots, Bengals, and Chargers.

Right now, I don't think we match up well against the Chargers at all. Orton isn't doing well against the blitz, we have nobody who can really cover Gates (except maybe Wesley W.), Sproles still scares the bejesus out of me because he's a matchup nightmare for our LBs, and Jackson and Floyd are causing trouble for every secondary they face due to their size. Rivers is playing great ball right now, too. I do not want to play SD in the Wildcard round. Remember, we beat them due to an exceptional performance by Eddie Royal that hasn't been even close to duplicated since - even against lesser teams.

I'd be happy with either Cincy or NE. No Pittsburgh/Baltimore and no SD. In short, I don't want to play a team that has already beaten us badly in the regular season because they enter the game knowing that they can - huge confidence boost for them.

CrazyHorse
12-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Pittsburgh Won't even make the playoffs... Baltimore probably won't either... I'm glad we won't have to worry about them.

BroncoWave
12-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Pittsburgh Won't even make the playoffs... Baltimore probably won't either... I'm glad we won't have to worry about them.

I just looked at everyone's remaining schedules and I still think it will come down to Pitt and Baltimore for the last WC spot, assuming we can get the first one. The other contenders all have tougher schedules.

The biggest wild card in this race will be the Colts though. They finish up vs. Den, @ Jax, vs. NYJ, then Buffalo. So depending on if they rest their starters or go for 16-0, that will have a big impact on the WC race. The Pitt-Bal game in a few weeks could also wind up being a 1 game playoff for that last spot.

Tned
12-06-2009, 10:11 PM
San Diego's finish is looking tougher than it did a month or so ago. Dallas is a good offense and probably a pretty similar team to San Diego. Then, they have Cincy which is a solid team. However, the two wild cards are the Titans and Redskins who have looked much better in recent weeks.

We are not out of the division race. Even with a loss next week (which is not a given), we can still win the division, since San Diego going 2-2 against those four teams is not that far fetched.

BroncoWave
12-06-2009, 10:52 PM
San Diego's finish is looking tougher than it did a month or so ago. Dallas is a good offense and probably a pretty similar team to San Diego. Then, they have Cincy which is a solid team. However, the two wild cards are the Titans and Redskins who have looked much better in recent weeks.

We are not out of the division race. Even with a loss next week (which is not a given), we can still win the division, since San Diego going 2-2 against those four teams is not that far fetched.

You are right that we are still in the division race, but it will be tough.

Here are the scenarios to win the division given we finish 3-1 and SD finishes 2-2:

If we lose to the Colts:

SD's 2 losses come from any teams other than Tennessee, we win the division on the common opponents tiebreaker.

SD's 2 losses come to Cincy and Tennessee, we win the division on the conference record tiebreaker.

SD's 2 losses come to Tennessee and either Dallas or Washington, then it would go to a strength of victory tiebreaker, which is impossible to determine right now

If we beat the Colts but lose to Philly:

If one of their 2 losses were to come to Tennessee, then they would win the division on the common opponents tiebreaker, regardless of who their other loss was to.

If they were to lose to Cincy, and either Dallas or Washington, we would get in on the conference record tiebreaker.

If they were to lose to Washington and Dallas, it would again go to a strength of victory tiebreaker.

So basically, we HAVE to finish 3-1 to have a realistic shot at the division and it would be better for us if that 1 was against the Colts, and not Philly. While that seems odd because the Colts are a conference team and Philly isn't, the common opponents tiebreaker comes before the conference record tiebreaker, so we would want our loss to be to Indy since they aren't a common opponent and it wouldn't hurt us in that tiebreaker.

I still think it's unlikely that we finish 3-1 AND the Chargers finish 2-2 but that would be very awesome, just as long as we came out on top.

CrazyHorse
12-07-2009, 09:28 AM
I just looked at everyone's remaining schedules and I still think it will come down to Pitt and Baltimore for the last WC spot, assuming we can get the first one. The other contenders all have tougher schedules.

The biggest wild card in this race will be the Colts though. They finish up vs. Den, @ Jax, vs. NYJ, then Buffalo. So depending on if they rest their starters or go for 16-0, that will have a big impact on the WC race. The Pitt-Bal game in a few weeks could also wind up being a 1 game playoff for that last spot.

I'm hoping GB beats them both and Pittsburgh wins the rematch putting them both at 7 losses.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-07-2009, 02:54 PM

Neither Dallas nor Cincy is playing up to their talent level. They are losing to inferior opponents or squeaking by. SD can put up a lot of points in a hurry, too. Personally, I don't think there's a hotter team right now than SD. They've gotten their confidence and swagger back and I think they could beat Indy or NO right now if they played them. Tennessee and Washington are trying to play spoiler, but both suffered huge, demoralizing losses this week (Washington got jobbed on that fumble call and it cost them the game). Tennessee was riding an emotional high, but this loss all but eliminated them from the playoffs and they know it.

I'm pretty confident that SD will win out and end up the #2 seed after watching them play. I had my doubts watching them vs Cleveland yesterday, but I think they really weren't playing hard and were looking ahead.

OrangeHoof
12-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Not well.

As a wild card team, I'd agree with you. As a home team, the altitude and the home crowd can be an equalizer.

Ravage!!!
12-07-2009, 05:20 PM
As a wild card team, I'd agree with you. As a home team, the altitude and the home crowd can be an equalizer.

RIGHT.. just ask Pittsburgh and SD! :eek: :D

JDL
12-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Right now, I don't think we match up well against the Chargers at all. Orton isn't doing well against the blitz, we have nobody who can really cover Gates (except maybe Wesley W.), Sproles still scares the bejesus out of me because he's a matchup nightmare for our LBs, and Jackson and Floyd are causing trouble for every secondary they face due to their size. Rivers is playing great ball right now, too. I do not want to play SD in the Wildcard round. Remember, we beat them due to an exceptional performance by Eddie Royal that hasn't been even close to duplicated since - even against lesser teams.

I'd be happy with either Cincy or NE. No Pittsburgh/Baltimore and no SD. In short, I don't want to play a team that has already beaten us badly in the regular season because they enter the game knowing that they can - huge confidence boost for them.

Actually, I love the matchup... San Diego wasn't THAT much better than us... and we had them... we marched right down the field on them (a couple times) and our offense is not THAT explosive, but we can put 24pts on them no problem and their offense actually isn't THAT great against us.. very one dimensional, if we can just find a guy to cover Gates and get one other guy applying some pressure, I could easily seeing us beat them and we are close... McDaniels is not THAT far off... we have the Chargers figured out, but we cannot self-destruct with penalties and stupid turnovers... something that has been a major problem recently. That, however, won't play against any playoff team so if that is as much as you can say, then I'd say they are one of our better matchups... actually much rather see them than Jacksonville personally (not that we would see them.) Pit/Balt. defenses give us problems. Hard to say on Baltimore though... didn't Dawkins miss most of that game? We are a swiss cheese defense with him out and top 10 with him in.

We're not going to blow anyone out, we just need to get back to playing like we did over those first 6 games which we still haven't... KC just gift wrapped that game to us making just dumb mistake after dumb mistake bailing us out of our many mistakes. Can't keep playing that way... If we do... it could be 50-0 against Indy next week, and we really do NOT want to face them... because their offense is good enough to actually exploit our D even when it is playing well.. I think the SD O while explosive won't do that so long as we aren't turning the ball over at every turn and racking up penalty yards.

BroncoBJ
12-08-2009, 12:37 AM
RIGHT.. just ask Pittsburgh and SD! :eek: :D

Or just ask the Cowboys, Patriots and the Giants. :eek: :eek: :D