PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Warrior Review- PS3/360/PC

Shazam!
12-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Rogue Warrior (RW) is a FPS developed by Rebellion Games and produced by Bethesda Software.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/Roguewarrior.jpg

I have played some horrible, horrible FPSs. Some had some kind of issue that stopped it from being just good (Legendary), some had offered (or attempted) some kind of innovation to stand it out from the crowd (Turning Point). I even saw something enjoyable in these games, who tried but failed. At least there was something in the package that made you remember it fondly.

You're in luck Hour of Victory, Turning Point, Legendary, Turok, Blacksite... there's a new worst FPS in town.

Unfortunately, RW is a trainwreck. I don't know what else to say about this piece of shit, but trainwreck and shit aren't enough. The premise was great, the lead was great, the potential here was unlimited. They FUBARed it up completely.

You are real-life SEAL and all around badass Richard 'Dick' Macinko. Your real-life exploits have become the stuff of books. In fact, even fictitious gaming characters like Solid Snake or Sam Fisher have nothing on you.

You are sent into NK circa Cold War 1986 with a team for missile launcher intel. It is discovered to be much more than that. War breaks out in the area between the North and South and a future attack against the US is imminent. You are instructed to stop the missiles by any means necessary and avoid a worldwide crisis. Your men are killed and you are ordered back by your superiors; however you continue onward, alone, to disarm/destroy the missiles alone to complete your mission to save millions of lives in the West.

Sounds good right? Right? The potential is there for a Splinter Cell-type experience, right?

Wrong. Forget it. Nothing works and it fails on every level imaginable.

The stealth aspect is a disappointment and almost unplayable, the controls are buggy and broken. You're better off not even bothering and attacking everything in sight.

The aim is off. You will unload your guns and hit nothing, even with scopes and eyeing each target. You're better off meleeing everyone, which brings up a pretty cool death-dealing animation. But that gets old after awhile. Even that is messed up and you'll be hammering the melee button but your attacks won't register.

The enemy AI is terrible. Laughably bad. They won't hear your footsteps running full speed 40 yards to stab them in the back, but they'll see you from a mile away in total darkness. You blow up a barrel and they'll shrug it off and not bother to investigate. Go figure.

The game looks like an original XBox game from 2002. Not the Halo kind from 2002, but the worst XBox game from 2002. The textures are muddy, the animations are terrible, environs are always copied/pasted and there's horrible screen tearing.

The sound is decent enough. The guns sound a little muffled but are generally ok. Mickey Rourke is the voice talent, and every other word is a f**k, it's funny and Rourke's cursing is sadly the best part of the game.

The game's campaign is laughably short, and the multiplayer? Don't even bother.

I carefully cut the plastic to play this game. I beat the game in under 3 hours, and that's with a few freeze-ups. I neatly slipped the disc back in, used a little tape and a lighter to reseal it and I returned it to Gamestop and got something else instead (pre-ordered and paid in full for Saboteur, coming 12/8, will post review next week or two).

RW is a total disaster. Light your money on fire first. Even if this was a budget game for $17 don't bother. There are many better games to be played, even the crappy ones.

0/10

Rated M for Mature- Blood and gore, intense violence, strong language