PDA

View Full Version : Merrill Hoge

spikerman
12-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Does anyone ever remember Merrill Hoge picking the Broncos to win a game?

I know it doesn't matter, but I noticed it again today on espn.com and it reminded me that I have NEVER seen him pick them. As a matter of fact, I can't remember him ever saying anything good about them. I think it's funny that he's the opposite of a "homer" who picks his or her team to win every time. I wonder if the Broncos bypassed him in the draft or something.

I'm just curious if anybody else has noticed this.

Brand
12-04-2009, 08:42 PM
He played against the Broncos and lost to them, he cannot get over it....

Also, I saw Jaime Buffaloturd picked the Chorfs.

SR
12-04-2009, 09:43 PM
You saw who pick the what?

Jesus man...you have got to be able to do better than that!

Maybe the concussion that ended Hoge's career fogged his noodle up a little and he hasn't yet seen the light that is the Denver Broncos (sometimes).

spikerman
12-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah, it's no big deal. I was just trying to remember the last time he picked the Broncos to win. I'm definitely not saying that he should have picked them this week, it just stuck out in my mind when I saw it.

BroncoWave
12-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, Merril Hodge has always hated the Broncos. I've never known what his deal is. I imagine it would have to be something worse than just losing a game against them to harbor so much resentment.

spikerman
12-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah, there are guys that rarely have anything good to say about the Broncos (hello, Randy Cross), but Hoge's dislike is on a whole other level. In a way I don't blame him. If I had his job I would have a hard time hiding my contempt for some teams too.

Medford Bronco
12-04-2009, 10:33 PM
I remember Hoge fumbling in the playoff game in 1991 when Brister was Pitts QB
Pitt gave Denver all it could handle but lost 24-23.

It was fun seeing them beat the Squealers :lol:

Superchop 7
12-04-2009, 10:50 PM
The guys name is Merill.

Nuff said.

Northman
12-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Does anyone ever remember Merrill Hoge picking the Broncos to win a game?

I know it doesn't matter, but I noticed it again today on espn.com and it reminded me that I have NEVER seen him pick them. As a matter of fact, I can't remember him ever saying anything good about them. I think it's funny that he's the opposite of a "homer" who picks his or her team to win every time. I wonder if the Broncos bypassed him in the draft or something.

I'm just curious if anybody else has noticed this.

Nah, i think Merrill has always had an axe to grind with Denver. Certain commentators are like that though.

Ravage!!!
12-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Week 2, against Cleveland..... he picked Denver against Cleveland.

Northman
12-04-2009, 11:06 PM

Guess he really went out on a limb there. :lol:

Ravage!!!
12-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Guess he really went out on a limb there. :lol:

heh.. well... at least he picked us against THEM! :lol:

Skinny
12-04-2009, 11:12 PM
I remember after Elway retired, Hodge's said in his opinion he thought John was the greatest QB of all time because "he did more with less". True story.

spikerman
12-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I remember after Elway retired, Hodge's said in his opinion he thought John was the greatest QB of all time because "he did more with less". True story. Stop the presses. I actually agree with him on that one (Elway's last two years notwithstanding).

MOtorboat
12-05-2009, 12:44 AM
heh.. well... at least he picked us against THEM! :lol:

...because you sure probably didn't...

Ravage!!!
12-05-2009, 12:46 AM
...because you sure probably didn't...

yeah.. because.. THats relevant to ANYTHING.. mo. T rying to pick more fights? ITs a friday night... drinking again?

MOtorboat
12-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Anyone else find it interesting that Merrill Hoge has the best record of anyone...or...I dunno, that Schefter picked against us this week too?

I know it all makes you feel better, but it frankly is pretty retarded how you try and make fun of these people for their "hate" against the Broncos.

"Us against the World! Let's ride!"

Biggest critic of the Broncos this offseason, Mark Schlereth. I don't see any threads calling him out...:confused:

And I'm continually told to look in the mirror...lol...

MOtorboat
12-05-2009, 12:50 AM
yeah.. because.. THats relevant to ANYTHING.. mo. T rying to pick more fights? ITs a friday night... drinking again?

Oh, noes...something came back to bite you in the ass?

Something along the lines of 2 or 3 wins, no?

Ravage!!!
12-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Oh, noes...something came back to bite you in the ass?

Something along the lines of 2 or 3 wins, no?

what are you talking about, Mo? :lol:

You just want to pick fights. Thats what you do once you've done your normal drinking on weekend nights.

MOtorboat
12-05-2009, 01:24 AM
Actually, for someone who called this team a two or three win team...maybe four, but that was if we got lucky...to be calling out a commentator to be picking against us is kind of comedic, no?

Ravage!!!
12-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Actually, for someone who called this team a two or three win team...maybe four, but that was if we got lucky...to be calling out a commentator to be picking against us is kind of comedic, no?

I don't know, did spiker guess us to win 2-4 wins? Does that really have anything to do with his question, especially since he specifically said "he has the right to pick anyone, I'm just curious as to the last time he picked us to win." So, what exactly are you griping and trying to pick a fight about?

Shazam!
12-05-2009, 01:31 AM
He did call John Elway the greatest QB of all time, so no, he doesn't hate the broncos.

MOtorboat
12-05-2009, 01:32 AM
He did call John Elway the greatest QB of all time, so no, he doesn't hate the broncos.

That doesn't count.

He hates the Broncos.

BroncoBJ
12-05-2009, 01:45 AM

I think he was talking about the Bears being a 3 or 4 win team with Jay. And hes pretty much on mark with his prediction. :elefant:

Ravage knows whats up.

Shazam!
12-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Ravage knows whats up.

No he doesn't.

Italianmobstr7
12-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Hoge, Jamie Dukes and Dan Dierdorf all seem like they dislike the Broncos. Dierdorf during the game (if we're losing) acts like we have no chance no matter if we're down by 6 in the first half or 20. If you didn't know the score of the Broncos-Ravens in the first half you would think Denver was down by 50 at halftime. Everyone should know about Dukes and his hatred for us. Hoge I've never seen him say anything good about the BRONCOS. The only Bronco I remember him giving props to is Elway. Oh well, we're all allowed our own opinions. Hoge and Dukes SUCK!

BroncoBJ
12-05-2009, 02:09 AM
No he doesn't.

Are you getting fresh with me?

Ravage!!!
12-05-2009, 02:15 AM
No he doesn't.

says the guy that thought you could have two attempts at a FG if you kicked on 3rd down :coffee:

Nomad
12-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Why get worked up over this?? Everyone has their own bias and if I was a commentator I would never say anything good about the Raiders!!;) Not everyone will like the BRONCOS whether former players, sports pundits, and other teams fans!! BRONCOS need to show up on the field and prove these guys wrong which they have done many a times!!

Lonestar
12-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Someone commented it is us against the world.

I really care less about in most cases washed medicore players have to say.

When an ex-bronco speaks I listen. Well maybe not Sharpe as he is always going for the laugh or shock value.

Most jocks have ax to grind and you just have to realize just like many MMQB/ACQB we have here they do also.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-05-2009, 09:59 AM
I remember after Elway retired, Hodge's said in his opinion he thought John was the greatest QB of all time because "he did more with less". True story.

He did until 98 and 99. The three amigos were great, the runningbacks were great but none of those teams make the SB without elway. He was a magician of sorts.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-05-2009, 10:09 AM

Only because he's an ex Steeler. It would be like Tom Jackson ever picking the Raiders to win... I just don't see it happening. ;)

BCJ
12-05-2009, 11:27 AM

Commentator picking against us, big deal on most cases? No faith in your own team? Problem! So, those that hate on the commentators also hate on you? Is that what you are worried about?

BCJ
12-05-2009, 11:28 AM
He did until 98 and 99. The three amigos were great, the runningbacks were great but none of those teams make the SB without elway. He was a magician of sorts.

What part of Sammy Winder, Gerald "fall forward" Willhite, Rivers and one old Dorsett are considered great? Some were good, but never great IMO. Plus, our wide outs were fun and did well under Elway but they were only Great broncos, not Great in NFL standards. Big difference and shows how GREAT Elway really was.

rcsodak
12-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, there are guys that rarely have anything good to say about the Broncos (hello, Randy Cross), but Hoge's dislike is on a whole other level. In a way I don't blame him. If I had his job I would have a hard time hiding my contempt for some teams too.

Prolly the fact that:

TD is a somebody on tv...

Shannon is a somebody on tv...

Stink is a somebody on tv....

Jackson is a somebody on tv....

He prolly lost out to every one of them for a spot.

Now it's him vs the Broncos! grr

rcsodak
12-05-2009, 11:43 AM

Randy's on Sirius. I've never noticed his harboring any bias vs Denver. Though he was hard on McD early on. Schein's the asshat. :lol:

rcsodak
12-05-2009, 11:44 AM

:rolleyes:

You COULD have just disagreed.....

:coffee:

spikerman
12-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Anyone else find it interesting that Merrill Hoge has the best record of anyone...or...I dunno, that Schefter picked against us this week too?

I know it all makes you feel better, but it frankly is pretty retarded how you try and make fun of these people for their "hate" against the Broncos.

Biggest critic of the Broncos this offseason, Mark Schlereth. I don't see any threads calling him out...:confused:

Maybe you missed the point of my post and it's possible that I just wasn't clear. I don't really care if someone doesn't like the Broncos and don't really believe in the "everybody hates the Broncos" line of thought (except when it comes to the HoF). It's been kind of a slow week, which is surprising for Chiefs week, so I just threw something out there that I had noticed to see if anybody else noticed it too. It almost sounds like you took it personally. Sorry if this thread offended you.

I don't mind people picking against the Broncos. Hell, in my office pool I've picked against them more times this year than I have picked for them. In fact, in an earlier post I even said, "I'm definitely not saying that he should have picked them this week, it just stuck out in my mind when I saw it".
It's not like I was pointing something out because of a few weeks of this season. This wasn't the first year I've noticed it. I just posted it because I was bored and I was curious. Next time I'll be a little more mindful of the "thought police".

It's true, that I did predict a 4-5 win season this year and I have been pleasantly surprised, but as for Hoge, I wasn't just talking about this year. sheesh.

spikerman
12-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Randy's on Sirius. I've never noticed his harboring any bias vs Denver. Though he was hard on McD early on. Schein's the asshat. :lol:

I notice it more when he's broadcasting Broncos' games. They all sound like Dierdorf did a few weeks ago. I really didn't want to come off sounding like it's the Broncos against the world. Like I posted before, I was just curious to see if anybody noticed Hoge's picks.

Poet
12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I've seen Merill pick Cincinnati to beat Pittsburgh and things like that, so I don't think he's biased. He does need to let the phrase 'factorback' go, that's pretty terrible.

Tned
12-05-2009, 02:54 PM

As to Schlereth, I guess you missed all the posts of the clip from SC where he called our front seven garbage. Fans were not happy and called Schlereth out.

MOtorboat
12-05-2009, 10:12 PM
are just trying to keep us from laughing at you? Commentator picking against us, big deal on most cases? No faith in your own team? Problem! So, those that hate on the commentators also hate on you? Is that what you are worried about?

No, actually ...I'm laughing at the people who hated on the team before the season who are now huge hypocrites when someone else hates on the team...

Poet
12-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Mo, Tned, ya'll my bitches. :D

Poet
12-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Mo, Tned, ya'll still my bitches.

GEM
12-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Please stop with the personal attacks and get this thread back on topic.

Ravage!!!
12-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Its not hypocritical. Everyone knows the cliche' "I can insult my brother, but if you insult him we are going to fight." Same thing here.

I don't find it a big deal, personally if someone picks against Denver. I don't take it personally if someone thinks Denver is a bad team, or "predicts" they are going to have a bad season. Pre-season predictions mean squat. They mean nothing. Its not like the lousy NCAA system that pre-season 'predictions and rankings' make a difference in the outcome and Super Bowl contenders.

I'm not ashamed a single ounce that I predicted that we would have a bad season. Why wouldn't I predict it? Why wouldn't others predict it?

I don't find it embarrassing that we are doing better than expected. Why would I feel that the team doing better than I expected is somehow something I should be bothered about? :confused: I should feel bad for guessing a bad season? really? :lol:

rcsodak
12-06-2009, 02:13 AM
I notice it more when he's broadcasting Broncos' games. They all sound like Dierdorf did a few weeks ago. I really didn't want to come off sounding like it's the Broncos against the world. Like I posted before, I was just curious to see if anybody noticed Hoge's picks.
I agree. In fact, I'm almost inclined to turn off the noise when watching their games. Doesn't ever seem to matter WHO they're playing...always seems to be a reason to make the entire broadcast about the other team.

rcsodak
12-06-2009, 02:14 AM
I've seen Merill pick Cincinnati to beat Pittsburgh and things like that, so I don't think he's biased. He does need to let the phrase 'factorback' go, that's pretty terrible.

Ok, so he's not 'biased' against Cinci. That's good. :rolleyes:

:lol:

rcsodak
12-06-2009, 02:18 AM
Its not hypocritical. Everyone knows the cliche' "I can insult my brother, but if you insult him we are going to fight." Same thing here.

I don't find it a big deal, personally if someone picks against Denver. I don't take it personally if someone thinks Denver is a bad team, or "predicts" they are going to have a bad season. Pre-season predictions mean squat. They mean nothing. Its not like the lousy NCAA system that pre-season 'predictions and rankings' make a difference in the outcome and Super Bowl contenders.

I'm not ashamed a single ounce that I predicted that we would have a bad season. Why wouldn't I predict it? Why wouldn't others predict it?

I don't find it embarrassing that we are doing better than expected. Why would I feel that the team doing better than I expected is somehow something I should be bothered about? :confused: I should feel bad for guessing a bad season? really? :lol:

:lol:

HUH????