PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler interview on Sporting News Radio

mopatt24
01-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Take a listen :

http://www.sportingnews.com/media/audio/index.php?clip= http://snrmedia.com/temp/cutler20080125.mp3&title=Cutler: What's Walker's agenda?

mopatt24
01-28-2008, 11:41 AM
My bad about the link, here is another one. Just scroll down the page to get the interview

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/

Italianmobstr7
01-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I can't access it at work. Can I get a brief summary of what was said?

underrated29
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
yeah, at work cant listen. Any summary would be nice, thanks

BeefStew25
01-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Here it is:

In Atlanta right now with Marshall and Sheffler

Tough year, dissappointing year

Shanahan makes final calls, so the loss of Dinger is not a big deal

Jeremy Bates is going to have a bigger role, Cutler likes him

Wants to stretch the field more, maybe more shotgun

It would be nice to work with the same running back, doesn't know who it will be

Talked about being a captain

If Javon wants to be part of the team, Cutty wants him back, but Javon put himself on an island

BeefStew25
01-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Cutty thinks the Patriots are going to kill the Giants.

42-24 is his prediction.

mopatt24
01-28-2008, 12:10 PM
He was asked about how the off season was going. Cutler says, he took about two weeks off instead of the month like last year, to get ready for next season. Explained that Bmarsh, Scheff, and himself are down in ATL working out with others.

Was asked about if Dinger's leave would effect the offense. Cutler was pretty forward saying, he didn't believe the offense would take a hit and that Dinger wanted to be somewhere, where he would have control. Shanny calls the shots, and hopes Jeremy Bates would get bigger role. Also said Bates has alot of potential and hopes to get to work with him.

Was asked about the RB situation. Basically said it would be nice to have one guy in the back field.

TKO asked about Javon Walker. Cutler said he would love to have him back as would the whole offense, but the comments that were made after the season, Shanny would not put up with it. He and Bmarsh would love to have him back, saying that he really open things up in the offense.

Was asked about his SB predictions. He said the Pats would put it on the G-men to something like 42-24.

Sorry it took so long, had to take care of something.

Italianmobstr7
01-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the summary guys. Nice to hear that Scheff, Cutler, and Marshall are building some more cameraderie (sp?) If you hear things about the 97 and 98 teams a lot of their success (besides being supremely talented) was that they were all friends. When you build that kind of relationship and trust it will show on the field. Nopefully Denver can get things turned around this year.

Buff
01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the summaries guys-- What exactly did he have to say about Javon? The part about him saying Shanny won't put up with it intrigues me.

BeefStew25
01-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the summaries guys-- What exactly did he have to say about Javon? The part about him saying Shanny won't put up with it intrigues me.

He just said the comments won't be tolerated. He is on board with Shanny. Crap, if I had Marshall, I would say the same thing.

Npba900
01-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Cutler didn't seem concerned about the O-line!

JONtheBRONCO
01-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Love Cutler

broncosfanscott
01-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the summary guys. Nice to hear that Scheff, Cutler, and Marshall are building some more cameraderie (sp?) If you hear things about the 97 and 98 teams a lot of their success (besides being supremely talented) was that they were all friends. When you build that kind of relationship and trust it will show on the field. Nopefully Denver can get things turned around this year.

Chemistry is everything and it make a team a lot more talented.

Him being down there in Atlanta with Scheffler, Marshall, and others is just another reason why I am glad we have him. Taking two weeks to get back into the swing of things instead of a month and a half like last season just shows how dedicated he is. Cutler is a gamer whose mind is totally focused on football and getting better and I love it.

hamrob
01-28-2008, 09:53 PM
I thought there were a few things that could be read between the lines.

- Shanny is a tough coach....Cutler said that there's alot of pressure on him being young and a QB in Denver and then added with Shanny watching his every move.
- I detected some resentment over the Dinger ordeal...he said he left so that he could have full control over the offense and that essentially he only helped Shanny in Denver
- Wants to chuck the ball but understands Shanny wants to run first...said there is some give and take there.

I have to give it to him...he's no-nonsense...he lays it out there for you. I love the call on the Superbowl....the Patriots big he says. Ouch!

Stargazer
01-29-2008, 03:34 AM
I thought there were a few things that could be read between the lines.

- Shanny is a tough coach....Cutler said that there's alot of pressure on him being young and a QB in Denver and then added with Shanny watching his every move.!

Shanny is definately a tough coach. His future depends on the development of Cutler. Shanny has dump all of his eggs in Cutler's basket.

- I detected some resentment over the Dinger ordeal...he said he left so that he could have full control over the offense and that essentially he only helped Shanny in Denver

Anyone who follows the Broncos know Shanahan has the final say & will make the calls on offense. I didn't detect resentment at all. What Shanny says goes on offense.

-
Wants to chuck the ball but understands Shanny wants to run first...said there is some give and take there.

Don't we already know this? Shanny drafted a gunslinger. A QB who wants to throw it 50 times a game. I believe Shanny has never had a QB who simply just wants to chuck it every play. Elway, in his later years fit the mold. Have a strong running game, and make plays when called upon. Cutler isn't Elway in his later years. The man wants to throw, and throw a lot more. Cutler wants 4-5 WR sets sitting in shotgun. By drafting Cutler, Shanny knew what he was getting. A QB who wants to throw the ball every damn play. It will be interesting to see how Cutler further develops & you can say how Shanahan changes his philosophy in regards to running the ball. You go out and draft a gunslinger QB in the 1st round. He's not going to be content with running the ball first, making plays with his arm second. It will be interesting to see the progression of Shanny & Cutler next year. Shanny clearly got his QB to run the explosive passing offense. Remember all those crazy WR sets with Plummer of all people? The crazy WR formations when you thought the Broncos would just line up and play run at the given opponent. The key is, will he finally let Jay do it now. I say yes. Cutler has one full season under his belt. This is Cutler's year next year. I think we will truly see Shanny's genius this upcoming season. He drafted Cutler for a reason. And it wasn't to run the ball X amount of times to set-up the playaction pass or bootleg. This offense will transform because of Cutler.
[/QUOTE]

fcspikeit
01-29-2008, 03:50 AM
He didn't pull to many punches... Didn't sound like he cared much about Dinger leaving...

Also, I thought it was pretty interesting that he said he wanted to spread the field more. Then he went and basically said, Dinger brought little to the playing field and that Shanahan was running the offense. Its pretty clear in Cutler's mind, any and all fault to be found with the offensive play calling rests on the shoulders of Shanahan.

I mean he didn't come right out and say that, but its easy enough to connect the dots. First he says, "I wants to be in the shotgun more and be able to spread the ball around". He then says, "we have the talent to be throwing the ball down the field". In other words, The offensive play calling isn't allowing them to use the talent they have, Then he comes out and says, "Shanahan was running the offense and taking over the play calling". So who else could he be blaming for the pour play calling but Shanahan?

Stargazer
01-29-2008, 04:03 AM
He didn't pull to many punches... Didn't sound like he cared much about Dinger leaving...

I'm not surprise he cared Dinger was leaving.

Also, I thought it was pretty interesting that he said he wanted to spread the field more. .

You can't be serious. This guy wants to throw the football.

Its pretty clear in Cutler's mind, any and all fault to be found with the offensive play calling rests on the shoulders of Shanahan.

[QUOTE=fcspikeit;119245] I mean he didn't come right out and say that, but its easy enough to connect the dots. First he says, "I wants to be in the shotgun more and be able to spread the ball around". He then says, "we have the talent to be throwing the ball down the field". In other words, The offensive play calling isn't allowing them to use the talent they have, Then he comes out and says, "Shanahan was running the offense and taking over the play calling". So who else could he be blaming for the pour play calling but Shanahan?

Jay wants to throw. I fully believe Shanahan is bringing him along VERY slowly. Shanahan's career fully depends on Cutler to this point. Shanahan knows he has a great QB in his hands. I think he's taking his time with Jay. Jay is clearly the centerpiece of this offense. It's not the RB anymore. And we'll see this upcoming season and future seasons if Shanny is the true mastermind.

BroncoBJ
01-29-2008, 04:12 AM
Nice interview :salute:
I like how he said he thought the Pats game would turn out to be ugly :lol:

And he acted like Dinger wasn't involved much since Shanny makes all the final decisions. I hope it dont affect him much. 2 years without making the playoffs seems like an eternity. :(

fcspikeit
01-29-2008, 05:02 AM
You can't be serious. This guy wants to throw the football.

You missed my point, We all know Cutler wants to throw the ball more. What QB don't?

What I thought was interesting about him coming out and saying what he did was that he all but threw Shanahan under the bus. Think about it, How many QB's say they feel the play calling is to conservative and because of the play calling the talent on the team isn't being utilized? He was speaking openly and not really thinking about what he was saying. In essence he was saying some of the same things Javon said. The same thing many of us have been saying all year!

Most QB's might think it but they don't say it in an interview. Could you see Brady or Manning saying what he did? That's what I thought was interesting about what he said.

Jay wants to throw. I fully believe Shanahan is bringing him along VERY slowly. Shanahan's career fully depends on Cutler to this point. Shanahan knows he has a great QB in his hands. I think he's taking his time with Jay. Jay is clearly the centerpiece of this offense. It's not the RB anymore. And we'll see this upcoming season and future seasons if Shanny is the true mastermind.

Who says Jay is "clearly the counterpiece of this offense"? Did Shanahan say that? Cutler is all but saying it. We are saying it. But I have not heard Shanahan say it and from his play calling he surly isn't showing that.

So what if Shanahans offense stays the same next year as it did this year? I think your right that its pretty clear our offense should be build around Cutler. But Shanahan clearly didn't see that this year. I seen a lot of play calling where he was asking guys to do something they couldn't do. He did not give us the best chance to win. "His" play calling didn't put the ball in the players hands that gave us the best chance to win. That is what Cutler was saying when he came out and said, "We have the talent to be throwing the ball down the field" "I want to be in the shotgun more throwing the ball down the field"

He was knocking the play calling and he pointed at Shanahan as the man making the calls. This isn't the first time he has made comments like this. I hope Shanahan listens and opens up the play calling more. Making an effort to improve the O-line this year will be a step in the right direction. You just can't expect our small zone blocking line to hold up in a pass happy offense.

A lot of people blamed Dinger for our lousy play calling. It is pretty clear Shanahan was to blame. In Cutler mind that seems to be the case. That's probably why Dinger wanted out... Did he really ever have a chance to succeed here? When any one man holds all the power, he in turn should get all the blame. So why do we keep passing the blame of our failures off on the Offensive and defensive coordinators?

G_Money
01-29-2008, 03:00 PM
So what if Shanahans offense stays the same next year as it did this year? I think your right that its pretty clear our offense should be build around Cutler. But Shanahan clearly didn't see that this year. I seen a lot of play calling where he was asking guys to do something they couldn't do. He did not give us the best chance to win. "His" play calling didn't put the ball in the players hands that gave us the best chance to win. That is what Cutler was saying when he came out and said, "We have the talent to be throwing the ball down the field" "I want to be in the shotgun more throwing the ball down the field"

He was knocking the play calling and he pointed at Shanahan as the man making the calls. This isn't the first time he has made comments like this. I hope Shanahan listens and opens up the play calling more. Making an effort to improve the O-line this year will be a step in the right direction. You just can't expect our small zone blocking line to hold up in a pass happy offense.

A lot of people blamed Dinger for our lousy play calling. It is pretty clear Shanahan was to blame. In Cutler mind that seems to be the case. That's probably why Dinger wanted out... Did he really ever have a chance to succeed here? When any one man holds all the power, he in turn should get all the blame. So why do we keep passing the blame of our failures off on the Offensive and defensive coordinators?

I just find it curious that the entire style of our offense changed the second Kubes went to the Texans. So either Shanahan didn't call any plays the entire time Kubes was here and has forgotten everything he ever knew about a WC offense, or something else is going on.

Our offense was more in Dinger's style these past two seasons. The running plays and the passing plays were both geared more in the old Titans style. So either that's also coincidental, or Shanahan wasn't the sole voice over the playbook and the playcalling.

Who knows? Maybe Shanahan has lost it. As it looks like we won't be adding any other OC options, the offense WILL be in Shanahan's hands this time. He knows it and we can be fairly sure of it as well.

There won't be a Dinger around to deflect blame. If we still don't have a FB, can't move the pocket, don't remember that all boots don't have to be naked boots, that there are more than 2 routes that receivers can run...if the staples of the Shanahan West Coast offense don't start re-emerging then it's neither Dinger nor Jay's inexperience holding back the O.

Then it's Shanahan.

Here's hoping it was Dinger, because I want the Broncos offense back, please - and it'll be damn hard to pry Kubes out of his hometown to come back.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 03:08 PM
The way I take the statement: Shanahan makes final calls, so the loss of Dinger is not a big deal, is that Dinger calls in the play and Shanny just gives the ok. Dinger is still calling the plays.

JONtheBRONCO
04-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Love Cutler

Hate Cutler.

slim
04-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Hate Cutler.

What?

anton...
04-21-2009, 05:11 AM
What?

tits...

weazel
04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
tits...

hate the Drake

Hoshdude7
04-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Stop bumping old threads

LRtagger
04-21-2009, 02:24 PM
you just bumped it again

LRtagger
04-21-2009, 02:24 PM
oh crap now I just bumped it again

weazel
04-21-2009, 02:28 PM
you just bumped it again

I wanna bump the hell out of the chick in your avatar

BroncoBJ
04-21-2009, 05:37 PM
n00bs :coffee:

hotcarl
04-21-2009, 07:13 PM
mods please move to the bears talk forum tia or whatever :welcome:

Dean
04-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Have you seen the Sporting News mock draft?

It is probably the worst that I have seen from a supposedly professional organization. They have us taking Brandan Pettigrew and Eban Britton.

:confused: