PDA

View Full Version : New Mock... interesting

MHCBill
01-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Sorry to those who despise mock drafts this early...

#1 (12th overall) - Ryan Clady - OT Boise St.

#2 (42nd overall) - Jerod Mayo - MLB Tennessee

#4 (104th overall) - DuJuan Morgan - FS NCST

#4 (115th overall) - Nick Hayden - DT Wisconsin

.................................................. ...............................

This looks GREAT to me. Address the four biggest needs I see.

OT, MLB, FS, DT...

CoachChaz
01-28-2008, 11:18 AM

.................................................. ...............................

OT, MLB, FS, DT...

We're on the same page Bill. Here's what I have right now (pre-FA)

#1 Ryan Clady
#2 Curtis Lofton
#4 DaJuan Morgan
#4 Harry Douglas
#5 Caleb Campbell
#5 Marcus Harrison
#7 Nick Dragosovich
#7 Ben Moffitt

MHCBill
01-28-2008, 11:20 AM
I would kiss Beef if our draft came out very close to that Coach!

CoachChaz
01-28-2008, 11:22 AM
I would kiss Beef if our draft came out very close to that Coach!

It could. Then again...it could also be a disaster.

MHCBill
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM
You think?

Why? Too many risky picks? Aren't they all?

tubby
01-28-2008, 11:26 AM
We're on the same page Bill. Here's what I have right now (pre-FA)

#1 Ryan Clady
#2 Curtis Lofton
#4 DaJuan Morgan
#4 Harry Douglas
#5 Caleb Campbell
#5 Marcus Harrison
#7 Nick Dragosovich
#7 Ben Moffitt

I see you've come around on Lofton.....;)

I bet Harrison goes in the 2nd or 3rd.

CoachChaz
01-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I see you've come around on Lofton.....;)

I bet Harrison goes in the 2nd or 3rd.

he could go that high or he could drop below some guys showing promise. Tough one to call.

CoachChaz
01-28-2008, 11:36 AM
You think?

Why? Too many risky picks? Aren't they all?

Actually I'm thinking more along the lines of the "braintrust" making some iffy picks.

tubby
01-28-2008, 11:41 AM
he could go that high or he could drop below some guys showing promise. Tough one to call.

It would be nice.

You think Pat Sims will be there in the 2nd?

CoachChaz
01-28-2008, 11:44 AM
It would be nice.

You think Pat Sims will be there in the 2nd?

Depends on the teams and what they want. Guys like Sims and Balmer could go mid first to mid 2nd.

Scarface
01-29-2008, 12:06 AM
No way Morgan falls that far. I'd love Clady at #12. Protect Cutler!

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 08:12 AM
No way Morgan falls that far. I'd love Clady at #12. Protect Cutler!

If for some reason Morgan isn't there, then insert McCoud, Barber, Roach, etc.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 09:56 AM
No way DuJuan Morgan last till the 4th round. He is a top 5 safety in the draft, some "experts" have him ranked as the #1 safety in the entire draft.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 10:02 AM
No way DuJuan Morgan last till the 4th round. He is a top 5 safety in the draft, some "experts" have him ranked as the #1 safety in the entire draft.

If he goes alot higher, so be it, but there isn't a whole lot of difference in the top 10 FS's after Phillips.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 10:23 AM
If he goes alot higher, so be it, but there isn't a whole lot of difference in the top 10 FS's after Phillips.

There is a difference when Phillips might not even be the top safety drafted.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 10:27 AM
There is a difference when Phillips might not even be the top safety drafted.

Insanity. You can make a case for alot of positions where the #1 and #2 prospect are close, but safety is not one of them.

Who is close to Phillips? Morgan, Demps, Castille, Smith, Barrett???

Those guys are all close to each other, but none of them bring the package that Phillips does. If anyone drafts a different safety while Phillips is still on the board, they deserve what they get.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Insanity. You can make a case for alot of positions where the #1 and #2 prospect are close, but safety is not one of them.

Who is close to Phillips? Morgan, Demps, Castille, Smith, Barrett???

Those guys are all close to each other, but none of them bring the package that Phillips does. If anyone drafts a different safety while Phillips is still on the board, they deserve what they get.

Have you seen Morgan? He is just as good as Phillips if not better.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 10:39 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80406b71&template=without-video&confirm=true

Mayock's top 5 Safeties:
Rank Player College
1. DaJuan Morgan N.C. State
2. Kenny Phillips Miami (Fla.)
3. Thomas DeCoud Auburn
4. Marcus Griffin Texas
5. Tyrell Johnson Arkansas State

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Have you seen Morgan? He is just as good as Phillips if not better.

I've seen Morgan play probably more than Phillips. Maycock and Kiper and any other pundit are allowed their opinions, but I just don't see exactly where they feel Morgan is better.

Phillips is taller, bigger, faster...not to mention he comes from Safety U.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I've seen Morgan play probably more than Phillips. Maycock and Kiper and any other pundit are allowed their opinions, but I just don't see exactly where they feel Morgan is better.

Phillips is taller, bigger, faster...not to mention he comes from Safety U.

Kenny Phillips S 6'1" 203
Dejuan Morgan S 6'1" 203

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Interesting how even info like that can be different everywhere.

Phillips 6'2.3" 209 4.45
Morgan 6'1.1" 204 4.50

Not a ton of difference...but I'll still take Phillips over Morgan ANY day.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Interesting how even info like that can be different everywhere.

Phillips 6'2.3" 209 4.45
Morgan 6'1.1" 204 4.50

Not a ton of difference...but I'll still take Phillips over Morgan ANY day.

That is fine... but there is still no way that Morgan will make it to the 4th round. You may like Phillips more, but the fact is that Morgan is a first day pick with first day pick talent. And until they both weigh in at the combine we won't know exactly how big they are or how fast they are. I've seen them both play many games, and I for one agree with Mike Mayock that Morgan is the best safety in the draft. I would even go as far as saying that Phillips is barely better than Castille and Cromartie. Phillips struggled this past season without Meriweather teamed up next to him. It worries me to see a guy struggle when the talent around him goes away.

turftoad
01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80406b71&template=without-video&confirm=true

Mayock's top 5 Safeties:
Rank Player College
1. DaJuan Morgan N.C. State
2. Kenny Phillips Miami (Fla.)
3. Thomas DeCoud Auburn
4. Marcus Griffin Texas
5. Tyrell Johnson Arkansas State

Thanks for this link Boss. I love stuff like this. Mayock has always been a good talent guy.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 11:10 AM
That is fine... but there is still no way that Morgan will make it to the 4th round. You may like Phillips more, but the fact is that Morgan is a first day pick with first day pick talent. And until they both weigh in at the combine we won't know exactly how big they are or how fast they are. I've seen them both play many games, and I for one agree with Mike Mayock that Morgan is the best safety in the draft. I would even go as far as saying that Phillips is barely better than Castille and Cromartie. Phillips struggled this past season without Meriweather teamed up next to him. It worries me to see a guy struggle when the talent around him goes away.

That's kind of a catch-22. If you play well, it's because you have talent around you. If you don't play well, it's because you can't play with talent around you. Phillips was the one to avoid in the Miami secondary this year...he didn't have too many opportunities to impress.

I'll go along with Morgan being first day talent...but as good as Phillips...you lost me there.

turftoad
01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Because of team needs, they both probably go higher than they should. IMO it looks to be a fairly weak saftey class this year.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Definately a weak safety class. I guess the biggest question I have about Morgan when it comes to Maycock's ratings is why does no one else have Morgan rated that high? Any other "expert" has Morgan as a 3rd or 4th round pick at best. The only other person that doesn't have Phillips in round 1 is Kiper, but he doesn't think ANY safety is first round talent.

Just seems to me like Maycock is pimping Morgan up and using the position as his limb to go out on.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Definately a weak safety class. I guess the biggest question I have about Morgan when it comes to Maycock's ratings is why does no one else have Morgan rated that high? Any other "expert" has Morgan as a 3rd or 4th round pick at best. The only other person that doesn't have Phillips in round 1 is Kiper, but he doesn't think ANY safety is first round talent.

Just seems to me like Maycock is pimping Morgan up and using the position as his limb to go out on.

That is fair. I think the draft is week at safety, but there are 4 or 5 really interesting prospects. Morgan, Phillips, Castille, Cromartie, and Smith if he is drafted as a safety.

There are also a few other guys who might have a chance to turn some heads... so it may be considered weak, but it isn't that weak.

Aqib Talib can probably play safety, then you have Patrick Chung, Jamar Adams, Tyrell Johnson, Jonathan Hefney, Quintin Demps, Jamie Silva, Craig Steltz, Tom Zbikowski, Marcus Griffin, Thomas DeCoud

All these guys have plenty of potential.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Caleb Campbell is the SS I'm interested in.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Caleb Campbell is the SS I'm interested in.

Yeah, forgot him..... see there is plenty of talent at safety for the Denver Broncos. Plus we can't forget about Roderick Rogers who was on our practice squad last year. Abdullah and Cargile might be good prospects in their own right too.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, forgot him..... see there is plenty of talent at safety for the Denver Broncos. Plus we can't forget about Roderick Rogers who was on our practice squad last year. Abdullah and Cargile might be good prospects in their own right too.

I'd like to see Rogers actually play a game. I'm pretty high on him as well, but damn...he just never gets a chance.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 12:13 PM
I'd like to see Rogers actually play a game. I'm pretty high on him as well, but damn...he just never gets a chance.

Well, he was only a rookie last year, so he hasn't been in the league long, plus he was injuried, so he should be 100% once the 2008 season starts. If he plays like he did in college he is sure to make the 52 man roster. His stocked dropped after that injury. I still can't beleive he went undrafted.

turftoad
01-29-2008, 12:14 PM

There may be some talent, just not much top notch talent.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 12:17 PM
There may be some talent, just not much top notch talent.

I wouldn't say that... there just isn't that talent that you can put in from week 1 and rely on them to be starter ready. A lot of these guys have plenty of talent and potential, but they are raw and need experience as well as coaching. Some of those names will be Pro Bowl material in a few years down the road.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't say that... there just isn't that talent that you can put in from week 1 and rely on them to be starter ready. A lot of these guys have plenty of talent and potential, but they are raw and need experience as well as coaching. Some of those names will be Pro Bowl material in a few years down the road.

I guess my outlook is that the safety class this year is probably a little underrated. A few pundits call it weak and the thought snowballs from there. I agree. A few of them will be really good players.

G_Money
01-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I get the feeling there's a reason he never gets a chance. And if Slowik was running the DBs and never sniffed Rogers even with our injury status, I get the feeling not much is gonna change this coming year.

It's too bad William Moore didn't come out. He was a 2nd round IMO and I would have loved to have him.

For my money Phillips is the most talented safety in the draft, but he definitely didn't play up to all of his potential this year. That's not surprising. Miami just had a horrible, horrible year, and some of those guys quit on Shannon. I wouldn't say Kenny did, but that sort of atmosphere is poisonous and I think it dragged him down.

Kenny's potential reward is higher than that of any other safety though, even Morgan. I like Mike Mayock, but sometimes he makes picks just to be different. It's certainly possible that Dajuan becomes a better pro than Kenny, but the odds are on Kenny's side. Still, if we took Morgan in the 2nd (or with a later pick that we still don't have) I could live with that. I think he's got all the skills.

I just like Phillips more. Morgan had to play S and LB essentially on his team (he was one of the only guys that could tackle the first half of the year as far as I saw) and did a fine job of it, and he's definitely full of fire and heart. I'm not a big fan of the dances, but it's not like Phillips is the anti-showboater either, and we need some swagger back on D.

But if we spent the #12 pick on Phillips I'd feel all right about that. Spending it on Morgan is more of a reach. Definitely trade back if we're taking Morgan.

~G

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Unless pro scouts fall into the trap of believing the hype of the "experts", I really think Morgan will be there in the 4th.

G_Money
01-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I guess my outlook is that the safety class this year is probably a little underrated. A few pundits call it weak and the thought snowballs from there. I agree. A few of them will be really good players.

Some safeties I wouldn't mind adding to my team:

Phillips
Morgan
Demps
Silva
Chung
DeCoud
Barrett

But most of those guys are definite 2nd day adds, in some cases late 2nd or UDFAs. I don't mind adding them, it just depends on where in the draft we do it.

There were about 8 guys last year I thought could be legitimate 1st day talents.

There's about 4 this year. As far as depth additions of special teamers and "hey, why don't we run this guy through camp and see what he's got" guys there are several quality options, but if I'm looking for a Week One starter at the position IMO the options are limited.

~G

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Add Caleb Campbell to the list. Round 5

G_Money
01-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Knew I forgot somebody in that off-the-cuff list. We'll see what the pros think when the draft rolls around, I guess, but 2nd day options should be there in abundance at this position if we don't want one of the top guys.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I get the feeling there's a reason he never gets a chance. And if Slowik was running the DBs and never sniffed Rogers even with our injury status, I get the feeling not much is gonna change this coming year.

It's too bad William Moore didn't come out. He was a 2nd round IMO and I would have loved to have him.

For my money Phillips is the most talented safety in the draft, but he definitely didn't play up to all of his potential this year. That's not surprising. Miami just had a horrible, horrible year, and some of those guys quit on Shannon. I wouldn't say Kenny did, but that sort of atmosphere is poisonous and I think it dragged him down.

Kenny's potential reward is higher than that of any other safety though, even Morgan. I like Mike Mayock, but sometimes he makes picks just to be different. It's certainly possible that Dajuan becomes a better pro than Kenny, but the odds are on Kenny's side. Still, if we took Morgan in the 2nd (or with a later pick that we still don't have) I could live with that. I think he's got all the skills.

I just like Phillips more. Morgan had to play S and LB essentially on his team (he was one of the only guys that could tackle the first half of the year as far as I saw) and did a fine job of it, and he's definitely full of fire and heart. I'm not a big fan of the dances, but it's not like Phillips is the anti-showboater either, and we need some swagger back on D.

But if we spent the #12 pick on Phillips I'd feel all right about that. Spending it on Morgan is more of a reach. Definitely trade back if we're taking Morgan.

~G

I think Morgan will go in the 2nd round, no later than the 3rd round. I think he will show off his talent at the combine and it will raise his stock and everyone will catch on why Mayock likes the kid so much. I still think that Phillips is the 1st safety taken in the draft.. but his name recongnition and sophmore year will help him a lot as well as his speed. He should run a pretty nice forty. With all that said, I think Morgan and Castille will be the better safeties in this years draft with Phillips a near 3rd. If Cromartie bulks up just a little bit more he will be a stud, because he has elite coverage skills and INT's help with Pro Bowl voting, but he needs to build on to his frame so he can handle the pounding the NFL throws at you.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 12:36 PM
However...Morgan is known to be a workout warrior. So his numbers at the combine could be deceptive.

G_Money
01-29-2008, 12:57 PM
However...Morgan is known to be a workout warrior. So his numbers at the combine could be deceptive.

Yeah but so was Chris Henry last year and even knowing he was a workout warrior you couldn't help but be impressed, and he jumped all the way up to the 2nd with a mega-reach by the Titans. Apparently steroids can do great things for your workout times...

~G

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Yeah but so was Chris Henry last year and even knowing he was a workout warrior you couldn't help but be impressed, and he jumped all the way up to the 2nd with a mega-reach by the Titans. Apparently steroids can do great things for your workout times...

~G

...and reasons like this is why teams...most of all OUR team...should be weary of the gym rats.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 01:03 PM
...and reasons like this is why teams...most of all OUR team...should be weary of the gym rats.

Unlike Henry, Morgan has the production in college to back up what ever he does at the combine. His stats are very similar to Phillips.

G_Money
01-29-2008, 01:08 PM
I hate to say it, but that's one of the concerns I have about Crable. He went from never achieving up to his talent level to soaring w/ the eagles this year, and he looked cut from stone in the Senior Bowl pic I saw of him, better than I ever remember him being.

I'm moving Crable down my lists just based on suspicions. It's kinda sad.

~G

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Unlike Henry, Morgan has the production in college to back up what ever he does at the combine. His stats are very similar to Phillips.

I see your point, but it's a little different. Morgan was THE man on defense after the play passe Pressley. He had plenty of opportunity to impress.

turftoad
01-29-2008, 01:13 PM
http://www.kffl.com/article.php/85282/512

Just some news from the Senior Bowl. Look what the guy said about RB,T. Choice.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I see your point, but it's a little different. Morgan was THE man on defense after the play passe Pressley. He had plenty of opportunity to impress.

You could say the same thing about Phillips with the talent that surrounded him last season and then what happened this season even with talent on the D-line like Calais Campbell? But I'm sure we will all forget that when he runs his expect 4.4 forty at the combine... if anyone is a workout warrior we need to be aware of it is Phillips.

BigDaddyBronco
01-29-2008, 01:16 PM
The one thing that really sucked about the Senior Bowl was that Sedrick Ellis looked so good. I was hoping he would fall to us at #12, but it looks like that is out the window.

If we can't get Clady hopefully they can trade down. That seems to be getting harder as teams don't want to pay for the higher draft picks though.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 01:18 PM
You could say the same thing about Phillips with the talent that surrounded him last season and then what happened this season even with talent on the D-line like Calais Campbell? But I'm sure we will all forget that when he runs his expect 4.4 forty at the combine... if anyone is a workout warrior we need to be aware of it is Phillips.

That's kind of a pessimistic approach. Phillips is a kid that has been in there mixing it up and excelling since day 1. His physical abilities have never been questioned. His production slips a little when Merriweather, etc leave...but I expect it to. Before you couldn't avoid a safety...now you can.

There were a few seasons where Deion Sanders only had 3 or 4 INT's and other CB's had 10. Were they better than Deion?

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 01:19 PM
The one thing that really sucked about the Senior Bowl was that Sedrick Ellis looked so good. I was hoping he would fall to us at #12, but it looks like that is out the window.

If we can't get Clady hopefully they can trade down. That seems to be getting harder as teams don't want to pay for the higher draft picks though.

Ellis looked every bit as good as Dorsey. That is a bit of a good thing the way I see it because I think we need a solid LT more than another DT. JMO

BigDaddyBronco
01-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Ellis looked every bit as good as Dorsey. That is a bit of a good thing the way I see it because I think we need a solid LT more than another DT. JMO
I agree, but I think Ellis has the potential to be a Pro Bowl level player where several of the LT's beyond Long and Clady seem to be at the same level. Vandy's Williams looked pretty good and will probably go in the 20's. Trade down and stockpile some extra picks.

G_Money
01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.kffl.com/article.php/85282/512

Just some news from the Senior Bowl. Look what the guy said about RB,T. Choice.

Tashard Choice is in the TD mold, I agree with him there. He lacks top-end speed but still somehow gets separation, and dows all the other things well - great vision on the cutback, great agility, decent blocker, good hands, runs hard...I like Choice a lot. :D

I disagree w/ him on Jordy Nelson.
"He seems to be a hardworking player, has great hands and a solid frame at 6-foot-2, 215 pounds. Where does he fit in with NFL clubs? He's not fast enough to outrun anyone, and he isn't tall enough to be a legitimate red zone threat, so where does he hold value?"
Um...he outran Aqib Talib several times and guys talk about him like he's a top-15 pick (over-rated IMO). Outrunning people isn't pure speed. His routes are crisp and will get crisper in the pros, which will get him separation. He's a timing reciever who shields defenders from the ball with outrageous skill and never drops anything. He'll go over the middle and catch whatever you want, and if you need 7 yards for a 1st he'll get 7, not 6 and a half.

In the 40 he's not gonna wow you. On the field, he will. If Jordy Nelson is available in the 4th then for God's sake, Shanny, draft the kid!

As for Chris Johnson, I'm still of the opinion that you'll give him a few reverses and line him up in the backfield a few times a game, and other than that he's gonna be a wideout. I agree that he's TERRIBLE in pass protection and he falls down on first contact too much for me (or at least he did when I saw him play). Fast as all get-out, but not a 3-down back in the pros, ever. I'd want him on the field to wring production out of that speed and those moves, though, so he'd be a hybrid HB/WR for me - Dave Meggett would be an apt comparison, I guess.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 01:29 PM
That's kind of a pessimistic approach. Phillips is a kid that has been in there mixing it up and excelling since day 1. His physical abilities have never been questioned. His production slips a little when Merriweather, etc leave...but I expect it to. Before you couldn't avoid a safety...now you can.

There were a few seasons where Deion Sanders only had 3 or 4 INT's and other CB's had 10. Were they better than Deion?

Maybe neither safety is our guy. After all, Phillips is a tackling machine. He is very physical... He really isn't known for his coverage skills. He had a 4 interception year his sophmore year and besides that he had 1 interception his freshman year and one interception his junior year.

Morgan is also a good tackler and he does a decent job in coverage, just like Phillips, but it isn't his strong point either. Phillips and Morgan are a lot a like if you think about it.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I agree, but I think Ellis has the potential to be a Pro Bowl level player where several of the LT's beyond Long and Clady seem to be at the same level. Vandy's Williams looked pretty good and will probably go in the 20's. Trade down and stockpile some extra picks.

Oh, if we could trade back, pick up a few more picks and get Williams or Otah, I'd be ecstatic. But assuming we stay where we are...I like Clady

G_Money
01-29-2008, 01:34 PM
I like Demps as a cover safety, but for some reason I don't expect us to go that way.

I'm actually expecting a safety-conversion project of some stripe, for Lynch to come back, and for us to go with Hamza and Lynch again while we try out the conversion project in practice.

If we don't like either Hamza or the Woodyard/Cromartie/whoever project after a full year then we add a safety next year. Shanahan likes to be at least one year slow on these things.

We'll see.

~G

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Maybe neither safety is our guy. After all, Phillips is a tackling machine. He is very physical... He really isn't known for his coverage skills. He had a 4 interception year his sophmore year and besides that he had 1 interception his freshman year and one interception his junior year.

Morgan is also a good tackler and he does a decent job in coverage, just like Phillips, but it isn't his strong point either. Phillips and Morgan are a lot a like if you think about it.

Absolutely. Both in the same mold. I'd be happy with either...which is why I have us taking Morgan in the 4th if he lasts that long.

BigDaddyBronco
01-29-2008, 01:37 PM
I like Demps as a cover safety, but for some reason I don't expect us to go that way.

I'm actually expecting a safety-conversion project of some stripe, for Lynch to come back, and for us to go with Hamza and Lynch again while we try out the conversion project in practice.

If we don't like either Hamza or the Woodyard/Cromartie/whoever project after a full year then we add a safety next year. Shanahan likes to be at least one year slow on these things.

We'll see.

~G
I saw UTEP play a couple of times and Demps does have some range. Of course that could be just who he was playing against, but if Lynch is back we need someone to help out with coverage.

G_Money
01-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Demps covers a LOT of ground. He doesn't mind playing the run (enjoys it, really) and loves to pick the passes. He can hit hard when he wants to as well.

I'm a little leery of his desire to jump a route as a safety to make a play on the ball, because he's supposed to be the last line of defense and if he misses, it's 6 points.

But I definitely like the skillset. We might get a few "Toro!" calls as he totally whiffs on a guy, but after Atwater and especially Smith we should be used to that, right? ;)

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 01:47 PM
I think a lot of people will be surprised by Roderick Rogers if he gets a chance to play because he is a cover safety and is also willing versus the run. He can hit when he wants to but prefers to go after the ball. He was one of the best safeties in the Big Ten before he was injuried. He has 4.4 speed and good size.

BigDaddyBronco
01-29-2008, 02:08 PM
I think a lot of people will be surprised by Roderick Rogers if he gets a chance to play because he is a cover safety and is also willing versus the run. He can hit when he wants to but prefers to go after the ball. He was one of the best safeties in the Big Ten before he was injuried. He has 4.4 speed and good size.
Then why isn't he playing? He was hurt wasn't he? It could also be his ability to read plays and figure out what is going on. Hard to tell.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Then why isn't he playing? He was hurt wasn't he? It could also be his ability to read plays and figure out what is going on. Hard to tell.

He got hurt.. but he made the 52 man roster before the season ended last year. I read somewhere that they brought him up because another team wanted to sign him off our practice squad, so Denver must like him to bring him up to keep another team from taking him.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 02:30 PM
http://www.thefootballexpert.com/roderickrogers070002.html

This is a pretty good read on Roderick Rogers.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Roger's scouting report from scout.com before the 2007 draft.

Pos:

Athletic center fielder with good lateral range. Runs with opponents downfield, possesses a burst of speed and is quick closing on the action. Explosive at the point and a hard hitter. Shows speed to the flanks and covers a lot of area on the field.

Neg:

Not decisive and lacks instincts. Not very physical and has poor tackling technique.

G_Money
01-29-2008, 02:43 PM
I just remember him being like a tall version of Foxworth at safety when he played in college. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. A guy who can cover but who doesn't hit often enough and tackles more like Bly. Watching my safety get dragged 5 yards would be discouraging.

He played on a great team, he's fast for a safety IIRC, but being a cover safety only works if you can knock down or tackle the guy once you get there.

Maybe I just didn't watch him enough. I'll take your word for it that he's one to watch for, and the Broncos obviously like him enough to see him after a full season with us and find out what he can do.

I just remember a guy built like Darius Watts playing a raw safety in the Big 10. It's hard for me to pin my hopes for the position on that guy.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 02:47 PM
I just remember him being like a tall version of Foxworth at safety when he played in college. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. A guy who can cover but who doesn't hit often enough and tackles more like Bly. Watching my safety get dragged 5 yards would be discouraging.

He played on a great team, he's fast for a safety IIRC, but being a cover safety only works if you can knock down or tackle the guy once you get there.

Maybe I just didn't watch him enough. I'll take your word for it that he's one to watch for, and the Broncos obviously like him enough to see him after a full season with us and find out what he can do.

I just remember a guy built like Darius Watts playing a raw safety in the Big 10. It's hard for me to pin my hopes for the position on that guy.

~G

Hopefully he is beefed up a bit since college. He's been a Bronco for an entire year now and he hasn't been playing so he has plenty of time to hit the weight room. Rogers can hit hard... I'm not sure what games you watched where you saw him tackling like Bly, because he can lay you out... he just doesn't have solid technique. He is more than willing though.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 04:19 PM
I would love to see Denver draft either Conner or Wheeler and sign Boss Bailey during free agency. I can't image our linebacker core stinking it up with two of those guys and D.J. Williams.

We are good at DE for now and we have two of the best CB's in the league. So really we only need to look to safety and DT for a complete defense. Marcus Thomas is one of the players we can look forward to at DT so we would only be 3 players away from having a great looking defense.

yardog
01-29-2008, 04:23 PM
I would love to see Denver draft either Conner or Wheeler and sign Boss Bailey during free agency. I can't image our linebacker core stinking it up with two of those guys and D.J. Williams.

We are good at DE for now and we have two of the best CB's in the league. So really we only need to look to safety and DT for a complete defense. Marcus Thomas is one of the players we can look forward to at DT so we would only be 3 players away from having a great looking defense.

Lets sign Briggs for Coach and Boss Bailey for you and then draft a Safety and DT. These moves would greatly improve our Def.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Connor will be drafted in the top 15. Too high for him, IMO. Wheeler will be gone late first, early 2nd. Rivers will go top 15 as well.

Assuming we don't sign a LB, I have us nabbong Lofton in the 2nd.

CoachChaz
01-29-2008, 04:40 PM

~G

If he can add weight, he could be good. I'm still waiting for him to break the 190 mark.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-29-2008, 11:32 PM

OT, MLB, FS, DT...

***** EXPLICIT CONTENT*****

I would masturbate into a gym sock while watching this draft unfold.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-29-2008, 11:38 PM
I still like Phillips. He may not have had as good of a year w/o Merriweather, but the whole D was awful. I saw Champ bite on a lot more plays than he would have in other seasons because he couldn't trust the 7 in front of him...maybe it was the same way for KP??

Regardless, I think both Safety spots need to be addressed. KP or Morgan early...and a hardass liek Silva in day 2.

Scarface
01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for this link Boss. I love stuff like this. Mayock has always been a good talent guy.

Mayock's my favorite by far.

mclark
01-31-2008, 03:20 PM
If Mayock has Morgan as the #1 safety, then no way he falls out of the first round. He'll be one of those guys rising toward the first round.

Lonestar
01-31-2008, 03:38 PM
If Mayock has Morgan as the #1 safety, then no way he falls out of the first round. He'll be one of those guys rising toward the first round.

does anyone have a link to his mock I'd looked yesterday but could not find it..

mclark
01-31-2008, 03:40 PM
does anyone have a link to his mock I'd looked yesterday but could not find it..

Mayock does have Thomad DeCoud coming from Auburn (I think he's from California) -- but that's probably a clerical error.

BOSSHOGG30
01-31-2008, 03:55 PM
Mayock's my favorite by far.

Yeah, he is a pretty good talent evaluator. Way better than Mel Kiper!

BOSSHOGG30
02-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Scott Wright has his updated two round mock posted at his website.

He has Denver taking Kenny Phillips in the first round.

Fan in Exile
02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
He's actually got us taking Phillip Merling:http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

Despite efforts to rectify the problem the defensive line continues to be an issue for Denver and while on the face this might not make sense just hear me out. Granted the Broncos did invest their first two picks in the 2007 Draft on Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder but Phillip Merling is a big defensive end (280 lbs.) who could play outside on run downs and then shift inside in passing situations. That would allow guys like Moss and Elvis Dumervil, who are liabilities against the run, to be used in situational roles and do what they do best which is rush the passer. Think Trevor Pryce Part II.

I really don't like this pick, any thoughts?

SoCalBronco
02-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Taking the fourth player at any ONE position when you pick 12th overall....not good.
Thankfully that won't happen.

Fan in Exile
02-01-2008, 02:58 PM
I had completely not noticed that Merling would be the fourth DE of that draft. Makes it seem at least to me like he didn't do his prep work on this one.

BOSSHOGG30
02-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Talk about one of the worst mock drafts I've ever seen. If that happens then we are in big trouble.

Fan in Exile
02-01-2008, 03:05 PM
To be fair I don't mind Highsmith in the second. It seems like he'll fit a need and I'm not that obsessed with triangle numbers. Anyone want to throw a little more light on that pick?

BOSSHOGG30
02-01-2008, 03:07 PM
To be fair I don't mind Highsmith in the second. It seems like he'll fit a need and I'm not that obsessed with triangle numbers. Anyone want to throw a little more light on that pick?

He is a good player, but his size worrys me. I know we pulled off the Ian Gold thing for awhile, but is he as good as Ian Gold?

tubby
02-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Interesting to see Curtis Lofton gone before our 2nd round pick.

BOSSHOGG30
02-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Interesting to see Curtis Lofton gone before our 2nd round pick.

He is on the rise. He should get even more respect after the combine.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-01-2008, 05:12 PM
MAYO if Denver wants a MLB.

MHCBill
02-01-2008, 05:28 PM
What's Mayo's size?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-01-2008, 05:39 PM
6'2" 230

SmilinAssasSin27
02-01-2008, 05:42 PM
If the team is content w/Abdullah and don't go Safety early, I'd like to see a draft that gives us an OT like Clady or Otah, a MLB like Mayo and then a OLB like Erin Henderson.

IF we traded back for an extar #2 or 3 I'd go Balmer, Mayo, Henderson.

Fan in Exile
02-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I just don't see the need to get a high pick for an inside guy and an outside guy. Williams is going to be playing one or the other. I also think that we can look to one of the guys on the team to play SAM. I think we've got to many holes to fill to get that many linebackers high in the draft this year.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-01-2008, 09:48 PM
But we have a LOT of pix. Add to that the depth at the LB position in this draft and we can come away with our LB corps for the next handful of years.

Fan in Exile
02-01-2008, 10:04 PM
I suppose that depends on your definition of a lot. We just have the amount that they give everyone. I would hate to have LB set for the next couple of years and neglect something else.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-02-2008, 09:14 AM
we have multiple picks in 2 rounds. We are missing a 3rd, but we also have some tradable players like Ian and Foxxy (who I think many will ask Shanny about). I think the way our picks are set up, we could get 2 LBs and not neglect other positions.

1-We don't usually pick this high each round.
2-We have 2 pix in each of rounds 4 and 5...middle of the draft. Not in the 6th and 7th.
3-I prefer value over filling a spot. Don't reach on a bad DT, OT or S when a stud LB is staring you in the face.
4-I'm not saying take a QB in round 2. We NEED LBs...and yes, 2 of em. There are 11 spots on the defense. I don't think it's considered neglecting 1 spot for another if the need is at both...If we draft a LB early and another stud LB is sitting there when we pick again. We would actually be neglecting the 3rd LB spot if we went another way just because we already got a LB. I'm not saying draft a backup LB over a S or DT. Again, we need 2 STARTERS (or at least people who will be groomed to start) at LB. We have nobody else.

claymore
02-02-2008, 09:16 AM
we have multiple picks in 2 rounds. We are missing a 3rd, but we also have some tradable players like Ian and Foxxy (who I think many will ask Shanny about). I think the way our picks are set up, we could get 2 LBs and not neglect other positions.

1-We don't usually pick this high each round.
2-We have 2 pix in each of rounds 4 and 5...middle of the draft. Not in the 6th and 7th.
3-I prefer value over filling a spot. Don't reach on a bad DT, OT or S when a stud LB is staring you in the face.
4-I'm not saying take a QB in round 2. We NEED LBs...and yes, 2 of em. There are 11 spots on the defense. I don't think it's considered neglecting 1 spot for another if the need is at both...If we draft a LB early and another stud LB is sitting there when we pick again. We would actually be neglecting the 3rd LB spot if we went another way just because we already got a LB. I'm not saying draft a backup LB over a S or DT. Again, we need 2 STARTERS (or at least people who will be groomed to start) at LB. We have nobody else.

The good/bad news is that we have so many needs right now, the best available player at almost ever pick will probably fill a need. :laugh:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-02-2008, 09:27 AM
But do we really have that many needs? The O was injured, but solid. The QB, RB, WR, TE, C and G spots are all fine. maybe not ideal to some...but fine. OT seems to be an issue...and I'm sure it will be addressed.

On the D, the CBs are stellar, the DEs are young but solidified and 1 LB is a stud. 1 DT is a potential star. We need a DT, 2 LBs and 2 Safeties (pending on how much Shanny really sees in Hazma). That's 4-5 needs on D and an OT needs drafted. Given that we still have trade bait, FA AND the draft, that is hardly too many holes to fill.

Also keep this in mind...we're not going to the SB next year either. We don't need the 2008 draft/offseason to "fix the team". We need a series of 2-3 solid offseasons in which the front office infuses young talent and cost efficient veterans who can contribute. We can get better this offseason, but we have to do it wisely. We can't pass on a guy just cuz we already got one of those...while there is still a gaping hole in the overall LB corps. But I will say this, it doesn't just go for the LBs. I'd feel the same way if we drafted KP and somehow DeJuan Morgan was sitting there for us in round 2. I'd wet my self w/ glee if we grabbed 2 safeties who would lock down the seconday for the next 5...because we need 2 safeties. What about Clady and Cherilus (if he drops) at OT? Who wouldn't be excited to improve both of the OT spots? We could still address other spots later in the draft, thru trades or via FA.

Just my 2 cents

SmilinAssasSin27
02-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Besides, in my 2 scenarios we addressed either OT or DT BEFORE getting the 2 LBs. hardly neglecting other needs.

MHCBill
02-02-2008, 09:37 AM
I disagree that WR is fine. Also, I'm not as sold on the overall dline as you may be. Otherwise I agree with your assessment.

We need an OT or two, and at least one WR. Preferably Bryant Johnson or Michael Clayton.

If we do not sign a free agent OT then we will have to seriously consider drafting one in the first two rounds.

We need more help on the Dline. Moss and Doom are pass rush specialists only at this point. Crowder can start at DE and Thomas should be much more valuable in the new defensive scheme than in Bates' scheme. Other than those two we don't have any other dlinemen that I would consider starters. Scary, but two second year guys are our starters. I still like switching Peterson back to DE because he provides some much needed size and strength to help stop the run. Sub in Moss or Doom on passing downs for Peterson.

We have a lot of holes to fill. Two on the dline, at least one OT, at least one LB, one or two safeties, and a WR.

Just my opinion...

SmilinAssasSin27
02-02-2008, 09:43 AM
I see what yer saying, but I still think that the DEs are pretty locked in. Doom is situational. Moss was gaining some bulk and it remains to be seen if he is merely a pass rusher. I think he'll be able to be an every down guy. Then again, it also remains to be seen if he can actually stay on the field. Still...we have Crowder, Engleberger as well. I know it's not ideal to have such a young DL, but we may be pretty happy w/ what they are getting done when we look back a few years from now.

I don't see WR as a need cuz we still have javon. Once he leaves, we'll have a hole to fill...but also money to fill it with. Clayton or Bryant won't break the bank...and thus we wouldn't need to address WR too early in the draft.

Scarface
02-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I want an OT but the staff seems to like Ryan Harris. For that reason I don't see us taking any of the top tackles. If Harris does turn out to be the franchise LT that would be great obviously and allow us to focus on other spots with our early picks. Cherilus in RD2 would solidify the right side and voila we have bookend tackles for the next 10 yrs....but knowing the staff they're probably comfortable with Pears at RT.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-02-2008, 09:52 AM
I want an OT but the staff seems to like Ryan Harris. For that reason I don't see us taking any of the top tackles. If Harris does turn out to be the franchise LT that would be great obviously and allow us to focus on other spots with our early picks. Cherilus in RD2 would solidify the right side and voila we have bookend tackles for the next 10 yrs....but knowing the staff they're probably comfortable with Pears at RT.

And that is what scares me...Abdullah, Pears, Harris...

MHCBill
02-02-2008, 09:53 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head Scarface.

Is Harris the man?

If he is... GREAT! I say another very strong draft in '07 then, but if he doesn't pan out the offense will struggle.

With a franchise QB you need a franchise LT. I pray Harris is a stud.

Scarface
02-02-2008, 09:58 AM
And that is what scares me...Abdullah, Pears, Harris...

I'm actually intrigued by Harris because of his athleticism. He could turn out to be a steal for us. But the staff has to be right on this one. We need to protect Cutler. If we can do that our offense is going to be elite.

MHCBill
02-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Does anyone have a scouting report on Harris?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Broken back and was tore up by any halfway decent DE during his senior year and the Senior Bowl. PASS!

MHCBill
02-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Okay, Smilin' doesn't like him. :)

Any other opinions?

Scarface
02-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Does anyone have a scouting report on Harris?

Found this on the Freak. The original link is no longer good.

Who might know more about putting together a pro offense than former offensive coordinator of three Super Bowl winning New England Patriots teams and current Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis? Weis certainly feels that his current left tackle has what it takes to remain at this all-important position at the NFL level. "There aren't too many guys playing left tackle that are really left tackles in the eyes of pro guys," Weis said. "Left tackles are the guys that (need) the athleticism to handle an edge rusher by themselves, which is normally the blind side of a right-handed quarterback. There are guys playing left tackle (in college), but as soon as they get to the NFL, they go over to right tackle because they're more slug-it-out type of guys. Ryan Harris has the athleticism to play left tackle."

While scouts agree that Harris has the athleticism, his consistency is another matter. Harris sometimes relies too much on his quick feet, not using his hands or upper-body strength to punish defenders. Though he has started all four years at offensive tackle (three at left, one at right), there are still deficiencies to his game that generally are ironed out with experience. Harris seems to have all of the tools needed to become a standout and thus he is still highly regarded by many. Other scouts question why his play hasn't leveled out yet and feel he's best suited to guard at the next level.
Quote:
Positives: Looks the part … Broad-shouldered big man who holds his 295 pounds well … Good initial quickness off the snap … Eases out of his stance into pass protection … Shows good overall foot quickness and balance … Good use of hand punch to initially stun the defender and sustain blocks … Good lateral quickness when pulling and can hit the moving target when blocking on the run … Athleticism, especially in this area, is one of the key reasons some scouts view Harris as a potential left guard … Durable performer … Four-year starter.

Scarface
02-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Okay, Smilin' doesn't like him. :)

Any other opinions?

LOL! The day we took him he did.

http://www.broncosfreak.com/forum/showpost.php?p=520093&postcount=4

Sucks that all this will be gone soon.:tsk:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-02-2008, 10:10 AM
I really hope I'm dead wrong on this...I just don't think I am.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-02-2008, 10:13 AM
LOL! The day we took him he did.

http://www.broncosfreak.com/forum/showpost.php?p=520093&postcount=4

Sucks that all this will be gone soon.:tsk:

dam dude...where do you find this stuff? Nice catch.

Like I said last year. I thought he was picked too early. There were other posts I made where I bashed him plenty. I had no problem w/ Shanny addressing the lines. I just don't think this is the guy who will be keeping Cutty safe.

MHCBill
02-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Harris certainly sounds like he has potential, but also has question marks.

Too bad he doesn't have another off-season to learn and get better.

Here's hoping he's solid.

I'm just going to get annoyed next season when people are bitchin' and moanin' how bad he is after six games.

He is not a vet. Please guys, remember this.

2008 is still rebuilding... 2009 is when we begin our march!

WARHORSE
02-03-2008, 01:54 AM
The Broncos dont rebuild.

Superbowl or BUST.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/DJ.gif

MHCBill
02-03-2008, 09:42 AM
The Broncos dont rebuild.

Superbowl or BUST.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/DJ.gif
Wrong.

They can say what they want, but the reality is last year was rebuilding and this year is rebuilding.

Super Bowl or bust is a wonderful attiutde for an organization to have, but we can now see that train of thought probably has set us back momentarily.

We need to build through the draft and sign the "right" free agents.

The idea of signing every has-been for too much money to take a shot at a run for the Super Bowl is great if you get to the Super Bowl. Unfortunately when your personnel decisions are wrong you don't make the playoffs for two years straight and your current teams has too many holes to count.

Fan in Exile
02-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I completely disagree with this, and it may be because we're using the term "rebuilding" in different ways.

Last year was not a rebuilding year. In my mind rebuilding means that you are doing two things getting rid of a pretty good number of older players and bringing in a pretty good number of younger ones. In that year you recognize you won't win many because of the youth and inexperience.

We just didn't do that last year. We did end up having to replace a lot of guys but that was injury related. The guys we brought in were veterans to help us because we had a serious shot at the play offs. If it hadn't been for the injuries I'm confident that we would have made it.

This year we may need to rebuild, but it remains to be seen what will actually be done.