PDA

View Full Version : Will DJ Williams stay at Mike Linebacker?

lex
01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
poll to follow

omac
01-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Also, this should make the decision to keep DJ at Mike easier ....

"Top linebackers dodge draft" ..... http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8070699

Tned
01-27-2008, 11:29 PM
I think he only moves if we sign a stud FA MLB.

dogfish
01-27-2008, 11:54 PM
who knows? free agency and the draft will answer that question. . .

broncosfanscott
01-28-2008, 02:35 AM
I think he only moves if we sign a stud FA MLB.

I was thinking the same thing.

MOtorboat
01-28-2008, 08:37 AM
I hope so, we've moved him enough. You move again and you hinder his talent for the fourth straight season...bad idea...

SR
01-28-2008, 08:44 AM
It'd be dumb to move him again. Confidence is breakable...

topscribe
01-28-2008, 09:54 AM
It'd be dumb to move him again. Confidence is breakable...

D.J. was moved to SAM because he was the best player available for that
position, even though he was the best player at WILL. He was moved to MIKE
because he again was the best available.

If the Broncos got a stud MLB and D.J. were moved to WILL, it would not be
because he was not good at MIKE, but that he would be the best available
at the very important WILL, which he would again take to like the proverbial
duck to water.

I don't know how it would break D.J.'s confidence to know that he is the
best player at any of the positions and that the Broncos trust him at any
one of them.

-----

MOtorboat
01-28-2008, 10:02 AM
D.J. was moved to SAM because he was the best player available for that
position, even though he was the best player at WILL. He was moved to MIKE
because he again was the best available.

If the Broncos got a stud MLB and D.J. were moved to WILL, it would not be
because he was not good at MIKE, but that he would be the best available
at the very important WILL, which he would again take to like the proverbial
duck to water.

I don't know how it would break D.J.'s confidence to know that he is the
best player at any of the positions and that the Broncos trust him at any
one of them.

-----

IMO, we're wasting his talents more and more by moving him every year, just because he has talent. Leave him at middle linebacker and get outside linebackers to fill in, instead of signing whoever and then moving him to whatever position suits the signee.

Just because he is versatile doesn't mean we should be moving him every year. He was second in the league in tackles at Mike...let's see what he can do when he spends a second full year there, and replace the problems, which is productivity at outside linebacker.

CoachChaz
01-28-2008, 10:31 AM
I would prefer to leave DJ at the Mike position. With draft options including Connor, Rivers, Groves, Henderson, Crable, Lofton, Mayo, Wheeler, etc...the OLB spots can be filled. I'd prefer to see some money thrown at Briggs and go from there, but either way, we can get some solid talent outside to compliment DJ.

HolyDiver
01-28-2008, 10:43 AM
I hope so, we've moved him enough. You move again and you hinder his talent for the fourth straight season...bad idea...

DJ has played all three Linebacker positions..............This is a good thing. Now, he can play anywhere and feel comfotable................Mecklenburg played all front 7 positions...............We'll let the draft and Free agency decide where DJ plays. If we happen to draft or sign a good MLB'er, than DJ can go back to Will.....But I doubt we ever see him play Sam unless there was an injury somewhere................He's very god in the Middle.......Great on the weakside and just okay as the strongside Linebacker...............Mostly, because it's so obvious Strongside is not the best way to use him.

HolyDiver
01-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I would prefer to leave DJ at the Mike position. With draft options including Connor, Rivers, Groves, Henderson, Crable, Lofton, Mayo, Wheeler, etc...the OLB spots can be filled. I'd prefer to see some money thrown at Briggs and go from there, but either way, we can get some solid talent outside to compliment DJ.

The few Oklahoma games I saw, I really liked Lofton.

CoachChaz
01-28-2008, 11:05 AM
The few Oklahoma games I saw, I really liked Lofton.

Could he be a guy that we both have on our contest list?

HolyDiver
01-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Could he be a guy that we both have on our contest list?

Perhaps..................We need to wait until early April, then make a thread giving specific rules about the bet..................I know bet aside, I saw some guys in the Senior bowl I would love to see us draft.

dogfish
01-28-2008, 03:03 PM
dj said himself that he's fine with either going back to WILL or staying at MIKE, as long as they don't stick him back at SAM-- if it's cool with him, it's cool with me, and i can't see why there would be a big transition to a spot where he's played the most. . .

Lonestar
01-28-2008, 03:10 PM
dj said himself that he's fine with either going back to WILL or staying at MIKE, as long as they don't stick him back at SAM-- if it's cool with him, it's cool with me, and i can't see why there would be a big transition to a spot where he's played the most. . .

the scheme also has something to do with it..

I would think he will be alright regardless. Time to re-do his contract IMO..

CoachChaz
01-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Perhaps..................We need to wait until early April, then make a thread giving specific rules about the bet..................I know bet aside, I saw some guys in the Senior bowl I would love to see us draft.

The hard part about this bet is that there will be no skill involved. it's all a guess

HolyDiver
01-28-2008, 05:33 PM
The hard part about this bet is that there will be no skill involved. it's all a guess

Well, we have three months to decide how to make this more of a skilled bet than a bet of luck.

Bronco4ever
01-28-2008, 05:41 PM
I should call up DJ's mom and ask her. I have her number in my cell phone.

G_Money
01-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Depends on who we add. DJ was becoming acceptable at the Mike by the end of the year, and we know his whole career his only point of true impact in college or the pros is at the Will.

So if in the draft or FA we add a quality MLB we can move DJ back to the Will and have two excellent 'backers.

If OTOH we add a Will like Adibi or Highsmith in the draft then DJ can stay at Mike and keep improving.

DJ gives us flexibility in an area of need (LB corps). That's not a bad thing.

~G

Skinny
01-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Yeah i agree G., the benefit of DJ playing all 3 positions is his 'flexibility'. Should we lose a LB to injury, DJ can fill those cleets at any LB position with no drop off in talent ... that's a huge asset.

On the topic of the thread ... as far as keeping DJ at MLB, i would atleast hope Mikey & Co. ask DJ which position he prefers to play and go from there.

But if the 'quality' simply is'nt there at the time Mikey decides to pull the trigger on a OLB (which is highly unlikely with this Draft class), i can't fault them for picking a MLB and moving DJ back to either OLB position. What ever makes the Defense better as a whole.

But DJ's 'I'll play where ever the team needs to me to' 'Team Player' attitude should be taken into consideration. After all, he is our best LB IMO ...

Dean
01-28-2008, 09:18 PM
I should call up DJ's mom and ask her. I have her number in my cell phone.
It is Mike Shanahan's wife that you need to talk to. She sees all, knows all, and makes Mike change what she doesn't like or sleep on the couch. :D

dogfish
01-28-2008, 09:27 PM
It is Mike Shanahan's wife that you need to talk to. She sees all, knows all, and makes Mike change what she doesn't like or sleep on the couch. :D

so do you have her number?

Dean
01-28-2008, 11:13 PM
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me.:listen:

JK :lol:

dogfish
01-29-2008, 12:01 AM
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me.:listen:

JK :lol:

:spit: :pound:

good stuff dean. . . .

tubby
01-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Depends if we draft Lofton or Mayo in the 2nd.

Stargazer
01-29-2008, 03:44 AM
poll to follow

It depends on who Denver picks up in the draft/free agency. This poll would make more sense after April.

BOSSHOGG30
01-29-2008, 11:44 AM
I have a feeling that Denver is taking a really good look at Conner for their 1st round pick. They showed a lot of intrest in him at the Senior bowl. They interviewed him 3 days in a row. Plus Denver really wanted Patrick Willis last year and since they didn't get their guy they moved D.J. to MLB meaning they have to be looking for a linebacker replacement somewhere.

Lonestar
01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I have a feeling that Denver is taking a really good look at Conner for their 1st round pick. They showed a lot of intrest in him at the Senior bowl. They interviewed him 3 days in a row. Plus Denver really wanted Patrick Willis last year and since they didn't get their guy they moved D.J. to MLB meaning they have to be looking for a linebacker replacement somewhere.

If I remember correctly DJ was moved before the draft right after the season ended and Bates was brought on board. About the same time they put Al on the trade block.. I could be wrong about this but that is how I remember it..

That said I do not care where DJ plays Wil or Mike he will be great at it..

tubby
04-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Doesn't sound like it.

Good. He was terrible in the middle. Too stoopid.

shank
04-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Doesn't sound like it.

Good. He was terrible in the middle. Too stoopid.

that's a stooopid thing to say.

tubby
04-01-2008, 12:34 PM
that's a stooopid thing to say.

Tell that to our 30th ranked run D. :shocked:

topscribe
04-01-2008, 12:44 PM
"D.J. Williams will move back to weak-side linebacker, a position he played
in 2005, his first year as a starter. Williams had played middle linebacker this
past season.

" 'I thought D.J. was a more natural (weak-side) linebacker,' Shanahan said.

"Free-agent signee Niko Koutouvides will line up in the middle when the
team begins on-field work and free-agent Boss Bailey will play the strong
side."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/apr/01/shanahan-marshall-be-ready-williams-switch/

So I just now voted in your poll. Wasn't that courageous of me? :laugh:

-----

shank
04-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Tell that to our 30th ranked run D. :shocked:

tell THAT to our Dline and broken scheme.

if there was one guy in our front 7 doing his part against the run, it was DJ.

shank
04-01-2008, 12:48 PM
So I just now voted in your poll. Wasn't that courageous of me? :laugh:

-----

lol, i just voted too, but at least i voted right before someone posted this quote haha. oh yeah, i totally went out on a limb...

tubby
04-01-2008, 12:52 PM
tell THAT to our Dline and broken scheme.

if there was one guy in our front 7 doing his part against the run, it was DJ.

Whatever. The Broncos Colts games was on NFL Replay this weekend. DJ was pathetic. Picked the wrong hole all day.

topscribe
04-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Whatever. The Broncos Colts games was on NFL Replay this weekend. DJ was pathetic. Picked the wrong hole all day.

In fairness to D.J., he had never played Mike before. Some people may think
linebacking is linebacking, but Mike is a different world from OLB. I believe D.J.
did quite well for playing in a position that was completely foreign to him at
the start of last year, when he is more natural at Will.

Nonetheless, he will always likely be one of the better LBs at Will and just
okay at Mike . . . no, let me put it more like how I really feel: He will be a
beast at Will. Just look at his rookie numbers there.

-----

shank
04-01-2008, 12:57 PM

3rd position in 4 years, 1st year at mike, 4th week of the season.

he struggled early, but our coaching has done everything they can to impede his development...

141 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles, and a pick, despite BIG transitional struggles.

tubby
04-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Yep, good thing he is moving back to Will. :salute:

shank
04-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Just look at his rookie numbers there.

-----

2004 at WILL: 114 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception
2007 at MIKE: 141 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles, 1 interception

tubby
04-01-2008, 01:03 PM
2004 at WILL: 114 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception
2007 at MIKE: 141 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles, 1 interception

Cool. Now find how many time teams ran against us in 2004 vs 2007.

BOSSHOGG30
04-01-2008, 01:04 PM
D.J. Williams is a stud WILL backer... no doubt about it... very good news to know he will be moving back and hopefully for good.

topscribe
04-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Cool. Now find how many time teams ran against us in 2004 vs 2007.

Well, you're right there. The Mike is supposed to get more tackles than Will.
And the Broncos did have a better MLB in 2004 than D.J. was last year . . .
and D.J. was a better Will than Gold was last year, even though D.J. was a
rookie at the time.

This is going a long ways toward shoring up the rushing defense. Now, let's
hope Thomas gets his affairs in order and the Broncos find another DT or two.

-----

tubby
04-01-2008, 01:24 PM
I am not blaming our piss poor run D solely on DJ. But, the fact remains, teams ran it down our throat last year and DJ playing out of position in the middle was a problem.

honz
04-01-2008, 01:35 PM
I am not blaming our piss poor run D solely on DJ. But, the fact remains, teams ran it down our throat last year and DJ playing out of position in the middle was a problem.
Yeah...nobody looked good on D last year for us. Not Champ, not DJ, not Lynch, not Dre...nobody. Elvis looked good sometimes...when he wasn't being held or double teamed.

shank
04-01-2008, 01:41 PM
dj had 13 tackles against indy

tubby
04-01-2008, 01:45 PM
dj had 13 tackles against indy

So what? They rushed for 226 yards.

shank
04-01-2008, 01:52 PM
So what? They rushed for 226 yards.

and that's dj's fault when he leads the team in tackles, and #2 is champ bailey?

our run defense wasn't bad because dj was manning the middle. again, he had early struggles, but if you had to pick one guy in the front 7 who was doing his part, it was dj.

HolyDiver
04-01-2008, 01:56 PM
and that's dj's fault when he leads the team in tackles, and #2 is champ bailey?

our run defense wasn't bad because dj was manning the middle. again, he had early struggles, but if you had to pick one guy in the front 7 who was doing his part, it was dj.

DJ and Dumervil were probably the MVP's on Defense last year.............Champ played well too.

BOSSHOGG30
04-01-2008, 01:57 PM

D.J. Williams is an excellent linebacker in pursuit... but he didn't do well in stuffing his gap and holding up the middle. He improved a lot by the end of the year, but he will always be a sideline to sideline guy who works better lined up on the outside. I'm sure he could learn the MLB role but it would take him a few more years. We are much better off moving him back to his natural position and bringing in a backer who is already accustomed to playing MLB. I hope it is Kootie..but I'm also crossing my fingers that we get Lofton, Connor, or Mayo.

tubby
04-01-2008, 01:58 PM

There is a reason he is being move back to WILL and it has nothing to do with him "doing his part" in the middle.

Agree to disagree.

BOSSHOGG30
04-01-2008, 01:58 PM
DJ and Dumervil were probably the MVP's on Defense last year.............Champ played well too.

I thought Crowder and McKinnley played well for the most part too. I think they will both improve with the new defense we will be playing.

shank
04-01-2008, 02:00 PM
D.J. Williams is an excellent linebacker in pursuit... but he didn't do well in stuffing his gap and holding up the middle. He improved a lot by the end of the year, but he will always be a sideline to sideline guy who works better lined up on the outside. I'm sure he could learn the MLB role but it would take him a few more years. We are much better off moving him back to his natural position and bringing in a backer who is already accustomed to playing MLB. I hope it is Kootie..but I'm also crossing my fingers that we get Lofton, Connor, or Mayo.

and i don't disagree with this. i am happy to see dj back at the weakside and think he'll be a pro bowler.

i just can't stand to see one of our best players, who has been crapped on by our coaches for 4 years, short-changed like that, especially when he's doing really good when all things are taken into consideration.

i don't think it would take years for dj to become an effective mike, he was making some very good plays towards the end of the season.

shank
04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
There is a reason he is being move back to WILL and it has nothing to do with him "doing his part" in the middle.

Agree to disagree.

yeah, dumping ian gold's worthless ass.

BOSSHOGG30
04-01-2008, 02:02 PM
and i don't disagree with this. i am happy to see dj back at the weakside and think he'll be a pro bowler.

i just can't stand to see one of our best players, who has been crapped on by our coaches for 4 years, short-changed like that, especially when he's doing really good when all things are taken into consideration.

i don't think it would take years for dj to become an effective mike, he was making some very good plays towards the end of the season.

He is probably excited to move back to WILL and if it wins us more games and earns him some much deserved recognition I'm sure he will be even happier.

Lonestar
04-01-2008, 02:47 PM
I thought Crowder and McKinnley played well for the most part too. I think they will both improve with the new defense we will be playing .

the mikey special? :confused:

cause if it is slo making the calls we are doomed for another long season.. So far he has done squat except the DB players like him that doe snot translate to an awesome D..

BOSSHOGG30
04-01-2008, 02:49 PM
the mikey special? :confused:

cause if it is slo making the calls we are doomed for another long season.. So far he has done squat except the DB players like him that doe snot translate to an awesome D..

He will bring a better front four alignment that will benefit our players skills. He is also known for his agressive blitzing schemes which means you should see the QB's on their back more.

MHCBill
04-01-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm all for blitzing... even if that means giving up the occassional big play. With the vets we have in the secondary those big plays will hopefully be minimal.

Nonetheless, a defense that attacks the QB and Oline is a defense that is effective.

Make the QB throw early... make the running backs stay in to block (hopefully choosing the wrong blitzer)... make the Oline guess wrong.

Aggressive defense is the only good defense!!!

BOSSHOGG30
04-01-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm all for blitzing... even if that means giving up the occassional big play. With the vets we have in the secondary those big plays will hopefully be minimal.

Nonetheless, a defense that attacks the QB and Oline is a defense that is effective.

Make the QB throw early... make the running backs stay in to block (hopefully choosing the wrong blitzer)... make the Oline guess wrong.

Aggressive defense is the only good defense!!!

It would be nice to have some speed safeties to catch down some of those guys when we get burned though... because you know it will happen. Hopefully our line and linebacker play improve enough thought that Bly and Champ won't have to worry as much about run support and they will be less likely to be burned as they can concentrate on their man.

haroldthebarrel
04-01-2008, 03:01 PM
The cool thing about signing Bailey is that we FINALLY have a true SAM.
I generally like to play players at the positions they are best suited to. In the end, I think you probably get better results having guys playing their natural positions instead of playinjg the best players regardless of position.
Getting DJ back at WILL makes him a better player. Perhaps an even smarter player now that he knows all the lbs assignments.

Thus, we might get lucky to having Kotovides(sp) relatively panning out as the two others handle their assignments well, and therefore making his assignments easier.

Lonestar
04-01-2008, 03:11 PM
He will bring a better front four alignment that will benefit our players skills. He is also known for his agressive blitzing schemes which means you should see the QB's on their back more.

He is also known for being a failure as a DC..

His DB's like him that is all he has proved so far..

So that does not make me shiver with confidence..

topscribe
04-01-2008, 03:15 PM
The cool thing about signing Bailey is that we FINALLY have a true SAM.
I generally like to play players at the positions they are best suited to. In the end, I think you probably get better results having guys playing their natural positions instead of playinjg the best players regardless of position.
Getting DJ back at WILL makes him a better player. Perhaps an even smarter player now that he knows all the lbs assignments.

Thus, we might get lucky to having Kotovides(sp) relatively panning out as the two others handle their assignments well, and therefore making his assignments easier.

I expect it to work out well. In Koutouvides, we do not have another Al
Wilson (in his prime). But we don't need another Al Wilson there. We need a
MLB who can be where he is supposed to be, can fill the gaps as he is
supposed to do, and who can call and align the defense properly. From
Seattle's camp, we got not just support for Koutouvides; we got glowing
reports.

I have completely shaken my angst regarding the LB corps. The back seven
are strong, IMO. What the Broncos need now are two more capable DTs.
Get at least one, and I believe we'll see a complete turnaround in defense
this year.

IMHO.

-----

HolyDiver
04-01-2008, 03:24 PM
I expect it to work out well. In Koutouvides, we do not have another Al
Wilson (in his prime). But we don't need another Al Wilson there. We need a
MLB who can be where he is supposed to be, can fill the gaps as he is
supposed to do, and who can call and align the defense properly. From
Seattle's camp, we got not just support for Koutouvides; we got glowing
reports.

I have completely shaken my angst regarding the LB corps. The back seven
are strong, IMO. What the Broncos need now are two more capable DTs.
Get at least one, and I believe we'll see a complete turnaround in defense
this year.

IMHO.

-----

Our two Super Bowl years ( winning) we had Alan Aldridge(1997) and Glenn Cadrez,(1998) as our MLB'ers....Not a couple of All-Pros' there.

Nature Boy
04-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Depends on if Niko or someone else came handle the Mike position. DJ with 170 tackles was 2nd in totals tackles in the whole NFL, that ain't too shabby in my opinion.

If we don't get a solid MLB and we keep DJ at Mike, then who will play Will? Brign Gold back? Has anyone picked up Gold yet by the way?

HolyDiver
04-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Depends on if Niko or someone else came handle the Mike position. DJ with 170 tackles was 2nd in totals tackles in the whole NFL, that ain't too shabby in my opinion.

If we don't get a solid MLB and we keep DJ at Mike, then who will play Will? Brign Gold back? Has anyone picked up Gold yet by the way?

I think he had closer to 130 last year.

HolyDiver
04-01-2008, 03:46 PM
TACKLES TACK

Patrick
Willis 1. Patrick Willis, SF 174
2. D.J. Williams, DEN 141
3. Jon Beason, CAR 140
4. Ernie Sims, DET 134
5. Nick Barnett, GNB 131

He had 141.............A damn good year if you ask me.

BOSSHOGG30
04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
TACKLES TACK

Patrick
Willis 1. Patrick Willis, SF 174
2. D.J. Williams, DEN 141
3. Jon Beason, CAR 140
4. Ernie Sims, DET 134
5. Nick Barnett, GNB 131

He had 141.............A damn good year if you ask me.

Probably had to face a lot more rushing attempts than a lot of the other MLB's as well. I would be surprised if we weren't one of the more run on teams in the league. When you have 1,000 rushing attempts against you, I would hope that the position that usually leads the team in tackles would have a pretty good number to put on his resume.

Nature Boy
04-01-2008, 03:55 PM
I stand corrected. It was Willis who had 170+ tackles. DJ only got 141 but was still 2nd in the whole league. Not exactly like when Al Wilson had 199 tackles that one year but it ain't too shabby.

If Niko doesn't cut the cheese, I say we bring back Gold if Gold hasn't been signed yet and keep DJ at Will.

Sam: Boss, Mike: DJ, Will: Ian Gold or better

or

Sam: Boss, Mike: Niko or a Stud FA MLB, Will: DJ

The above is how it will be. As of right now, the 2nd is more likely but it all depends on Niko's play in camp.

shank
04-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Probably had to face a lot more rushing attempts than a lot of the other MLB's as well. I would be surprised if we weren't one of the more run on teams in the league. When you have 1,000 rushing attempts against you, I would hope that the position that usually leads the team in tackles would have a pretty good number to put on his resume.

we faced 501 runs.

(this comparison is for comparison sake only, not an actual correlation, as there are lots of factors)

urlacher faced 454 and had 123 tackles 27%
totupu faced 422 and had 109 tackles 25.8%

in 2004 we faced only 396 run plays and wilson had 104 tackles. that relationship is 26.3% (104 of 396).

in 2007 we faced 501 run plays and dj had 141 tackles, a relationship percentage of 28.1%.

you can say that dj's stats were inflated because we faced more rushes, but the % of tackles to run plays faced shows that dj's is higher than wilson in his prime and 2 pro bowl mlbs in 2007... again, it's just a very loose correlation and i'm not using this as a defining fact in any way.

shank
04-01-2008, 04:00 PM
I stand corrected. It was Willis who had 170+ tackles. DJ only got 141 but was still 2nd in the whole league. Not exactly like when Al Wilson had 199 tackles that one year but it ain't too shabby.

al wilson never had 199 tackles.

tubby
04-01-2008, 04:05 PM
For our next exercise I think we need to break down how many of those 141 tackles happened at or near the line of scrimmage. And how many occurred 5 yards or more down field.

Holy Diver, break out the reel to reel. I want a report by the end of the week.

Nature Boy
04-01-2008, 04:08 PM
al wilson never had 199 tackles.

I stand corrected again. All these numbers I have stored in my mental CPU is a bite disorganized this morning.

shank
04-01-2008, 04:11 PM
For our next exercise I think we need to break down how many of those 141 tackles happened at or near the line of scrimmage. And how many occurred 5 yards or more down field.

Holy Diver, break out the reel to reel. I want a report by the end of the week.

while you're at it, figure out how often it was because dj messed up, and how often it was because our line is pitiful making it hard on all of our linebackers to make plays because they were getting blocked right off the snap and our d line had 0 penetration.

Nature Boy
04-01-2008, 04:19 PM
We could have got Jonathan Vilma but he went to the Saints 5 weeks ago. The Saints will give the Jets a conditional draft pick in 2009. Looks like Niko will be the guy at Mike LB.

Lonestar
04-01-2008, 04:25 PM
we faced 501 runs.

(this comparison is for comparison sake only, not an actual correlation, as there are lots of factors)

urlacher faced 454 and had 123 tackles 27%
totupu faced 422 and had 109 tackles 25.8%

in 2004 we faced only 396 run plays and wilson had 104 tackles. that relationship is 26.3% (104 of 396).

in 2007 we faced 501 run plays and dj had 141 tackles, a relationship percentage of 28.1%.

you can say that dj's stats were inflated because we faced more rushes, but the % of tackles to run plays faced shows that dj's is higher than wilson in his prime and 2 pro bowl mlbs in 2007... again, it's just a very loose correlation and i'm not using this as a defining fact in any way.

Just think of how many tackles wilson could have had if he would wrapped up consistently.. I'd guess that 25% or more were knock down and not real tackles..

shank
04-01-2008, 04:30 PM
the more that i look at the comparison between runs faced and total tackles, the more i see that it's not that loose of a correlation... it shows pretty clearly that dj's high tackle number is in fact NOT a direct result of how often our opponent's ran the ball. especially when you take into account his very limited role in pass defense and his #1 priority of stopping the run in last year's schemes.

Stargazer
04-02-2008, 01:12 AM
I just voted! I predict DJ will play Will this upcoming season!

TXBRONC
04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
He will probably move back to the weakside unless Keith Rivers falls to number 12 and we draft him.