PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' McDaniels supports concussion rule

Lonestar
12-03-2009, 03:35 PM
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/03/2009 12:50:47 PM MST
Updated: 12/03/2009 12:53:00 PM MST

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels today said he supports a new rule instituted this week by the NFL that will keep players who leave a game or a practice with symptoms of a concussion from returning to the field.

The rule will be in effect for this week's games, which start tonight with a game between the Jets and the Bills, and comes after a slate of high-profile concussion issues this season. Last week alone, quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner were both unable to play because of the lingering affects of concussions suffered the week before.

"We don't want any of our players playing when they're suffering an injury that could be more severe," McDaniels said. "I think the ruling is geared at trying to make sure any player that has any sort of a head injury is safe before they go back there on the field, and we all agree with it."

The Broncos have not had any serious concussion issues this season, though McDaniels said the team has had several instances in which doctors, trainers, coaches and players have worked together to, "handle the situation appropriately," he said.

"Anything that the league can do, and we as coaches can do to help our players be safer on the football field, we're going to do it," McDaniels said.

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13918755?source=rss

KCL
12-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I was just reading about this on the KC Star site...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1607626.html

NFL teams now have new, stricter instructions for when players should be allowed to return to games or practices after head injuries, guidelines that go into effect this week.

In the latest step by the league to address a hot-button issue, commissioner Roger Goodell sent a memo to the 32 clubs Wednesday saying a player who gets a concussion should not return to action on the same day if he shows certain signs or symptoms. Those include an inability to remember assignments or plays, a gap in memory, persistent dizziness, and persistent headaches.

The old standard, established in 2007, said a player should not be allowed to return to the same game if he lost consciousness.

Wednesday’s memo also says players “are to be encouraged to be candid with team medical staffs and fully disclose any signs or symptoms that may be associated with a concussion.”

Nearly one-fifth of 160 NFL players surveyed by The Associated Press during Nov. 2-15 replied that they have hidden or played down the effects of a concussion.

The league said its concussion committee, team doctors, outside medical experts and the NFL Players Association developed the new standards.

NFLPA assistant executive director George Atallah said the union is “encouraged by this new policy.”

On Wednesday, Cleveland Browns running back Jamal Lewis was put on injured reserve because of post-concussion symptoms, ending his NFL career. Lewis had previously said he would retire at the end of the season.

Lewis, who turned 30 in August, announced after the Nov. 1 game against the Bears that this would be his final season. He ranks 21st on the NFL’s all-time rushing list with 10,607 career yards, just 37 yards out of 20th.

His teammate, starting safety Brodney Pool, also went on IR after getting at least his fourth known concussion last weekend.

They were among 11 players listed on Wednesday’s league-wide injury report with concussions. Another eight were listed with head injuries.

GEM
12-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Most probably wouldn't agree with me, but after seeing the brains of some of these players, I would go as far as saying they shouldn't just be kept off the field for that day, but the following week as well.

rationalfan
12-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Most probably wouldn't agree with me, but after seeing the brains of some of these players, I would go as far as saying they shouldn't just be kept off the field for that day, but the following week as well.

totally agree. it's easy to forget these players aren't commodities or avatars of our sports fascinations. they're people.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-03-2009, 06:13 PM

100% agree, anyone who doesn't think head injuries are a huge deal should definitely watch this video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv1aqmuyZE8

Dirk
12-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I am in total agreement as well. I think that the league is doing something that will actually be looking out for the PLAYER and not their pockets on this one.

Unlike the Brady rule which I think protects more the money side of the house than the player, this one looks out for the player.

Good job! :salute:

Dirk
12-03-2009, 06:15 PM
100% agree, anyone who doesn't think head injuries are a huge deal should definitely watch this video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv1aqmuyZE8

:tsk:

That's not a head injury. :lol:

That's just an excited young man that can't spit it out.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-03-2009, 06:58 PM
:tsk:

That's not a head injury. :lol:

That's just an excited young man that can't spit it out.

Like um, I don't think head injuries like um, should be joked about or might like um..light of.

UnderArmour
12-03-2009, 11:57 PM
I wonder when this is going to trickle down to college and high school football. The majority of football concussions obviously occur in high school football and not the NFL as there are far more high school players than the other two. These ruling changes may hit pretty close to home and hopefully with the new rule guidelines, players at lower levels won't feel as pressured to return to games.

Superchop 7
12-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Better helmets is a start.