PDA

View Full Version : The Beat: Off-Season and Draft Outlook

Requiem / The Dagda
01-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Hey guys, I finally have my mega update done for the Beat.
(http://broncosdraft.wordpress.com/)
There are some surprises in there, but I put over 5 hours into it today (5,000 words of analysis, etc!) in order to get it up before the weekend.

I worked really hard on it, so I'd enjoy all comments and critiques. (Please though, "IT SUCKS!" doesn't count!)

Hope you all enjoy it.

Thanks for reading, and thanks to all you guys who send PM's and e-mails. :) (Mosting OM and Mania guys!)

http://broncosdraft.wordpress.com/

shank
01-27-2008, 05:46 PM
finally! :salute:

just got done reading... first thing to stick out to me;

you mention picking up choice and a choice-young backfield... what do you think we are going to do with henry? from what you wrote, i would assume you have him being cut? i guess the same could be asked about javon. your draft implies that you don't expect walker to be around either.

aha: 2nd question: any UDFA considerations?

(great read though, thank you for doing it)

underrated29
01-27-2008, 06:16 PM
nice! If we were to draft like that i would be thrilled.

lex
01-27-2008, 06:27 PM
This is what I would do in the scenario:
20) Chris Williams, LT
44) Shawn Crable/Erin Henderson, OLB (both)
52) Trevor Laws, DT
108) Jordy Nelson, WR
114) Mike McGlynn, G/T
117) Owen Schmitt, FB
132) Jamie Silva, S
140) Dexter Jackson, WR
204) Yvenson Bernard, RB
212) Brian Witherspoon, CB

Im really more in favor of picking up a RB early but if we're going with the theme of OLine and defense, this is how I would go.

Lonestar
01-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Just a favor to ask many of us are not gurus at which position which players play..

When posting names or a list of names can you include the position they play?

lex
01-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Just a favor to ask many of us are not gurus at which position which players play..

When posting names or a list of names can you include the position they play?
I fixed mine. Sorry.

Here is a link where you can read a little more about them:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=ILB&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Lonestar
01-27-2008, 06:55 PM
I fixed mine. Sorry.

Here is a link where you can read a little more about them:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=ILB&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Thanks for the change/info, after a time we will all be brought up to speed..

But many of us do not have time to follow college ball but for a team or two..

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 07:01 PM
This is what I would do in the scenario:
20) Chris Williams, LT
44) Shawn Crable/Erin Henderson, OLB (both)
52) Trevor Laws, DT
108) Jordy Nelson, WR
114) Mike McGlynn, G/T
117) Owen Schmitt, FB
132) Jamie Silva, S
140) Dexter Jackson, WR
204) Yvenson Bernard, RB
212) Brian Witherspoon, CB

Im really more in favor of picking up a RB early but if we're going with the theme of OLine and defense, this is how I would go.

I was unaware that we had that many picks this year. Is that correct?

Lonestar
01-27-2008, 07:04 PM
I was unaware that we had that many picks this year. Is that correct?

he is following dreams senario of a trade down from 12 to 20..

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 07:06 PM
he is following dreams senario of a trade down from 12 to 20..

Oh, guess I should have read Dreams thread...:laugh:

Lonestar
01-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Oh, guess I should have read Dreams thread...:laugh:

:listen: well do not let it happen again.. :laugh: ;)

Watchthemiddle
01-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Good read Dream.

I am like JR in that I am not up to par on all the college players like you guru's are but I enjoy reading articles about who the Broncos are looking at and potential picks and scenarios.

All you draft guys do a good job with the work you guys put in. :beer:

Requiem / The Dagda
01-27-2008, 07:17 PM
finally! :salute:

just got done reading... first thing to stick out to me;

you mention picking up choice and a choice-young backfield... what do you think we are going to do with henry? from what you wrote, i would assume you have him being cut? i guess the same could be asked about javon. your draft implies that you don't expect walker to be around either.

aha: 2nd question: any UDFA considerations?

(great read though, thank you for doing it)

I think Henry is going to be cut and Walker as well. I'm probably wrong though.

I'm not sure who is going to be an UDFA; but a guy like Amir Pinnix, RB (Minnesota) would be one guy to look at. There are probably a ton more. Just too many prospects to guess!

dogfish
01-28-2008, 12:37 AM
I worked really hard on it, so I'd enjoy all comments and critiques. (Please though, "IT SUCKS!" doesn't count!)

pfft! what's that leave me with??

good stuff man, you know i always enjoy hearing your thoughts on the draft in particular. . .

if we make any serious ventures into free agency this year, i absolutely think we should prioritize corey williams-- i actually think he's pretty solid against the run, and he's the kind of active two-way DT we need. . . i recently read a scouting report on him by nolan nawrocki, PFW's director of scouting, and he thinks williams is a pretty stout run defender. . . i'd love to see us get some immediate help at the position, which would free us to take advantage of the depth in this year's draft at OT, RB, and possibly LB. . .

i've said before that i would love to see us bring in a veteran safety instead of trying to draft one in a very weak class. . . wilson would be my first choice, but if the money's not there guys like eric coleman and madieu williams would also be possibilities-- they're not world-beaters, but either would probably be an upgrade over nick ferguson, or hamza abdullah at this point (i still want to see what he can do with more experience, but we need to protect ourselves with another option, especially as lynch is old as dirt and suffered through several injuries this past season). . . i wouldn't mind taking silva on the 2nd day-- he's not a dynamic player with great range or quickness, but he plays tough and has the instincts you want at safety. . . at worst i think he should develop into a solid special teamer. . .

depending on how everything else plays out, i'm not sure that we're going to have much money to spend at WR-- with plenty of other teams in SERIOUS need of help, i think berrian will get paid way more than he's worth. . . dj hackett might be the most cost-effective option, and he would have an easy transition since he's already familiar with the west coast offense, and played his college ball at CU. . . if we need to look for an emergency stop gap, drew carter is a guy who should come cheap-- he still has some upside, and his vertical speed would be a nice complement to marshall and stokley. . . . if walker persists with his bad attitude, IMO we should just write off our losses and ship him off for whatever we can get-- in a market that won't have a single #1 WR available if the pansies retain moss, maybe we can get a team like minnesota or tennessee to take a chance on him and give us a 4th or a 5th. . . otherwise, i'd probably cut his ass and get that big salary off the books before he can infect the air marshall with his pissiness. . .

i would love it if we could trade down in the 1st, as OTs like chris williams and possibly otah should still be available in the 15-18 or so range-- or maybe a guy like mendenhall. . . an extra 1st day selection could really be beneficial, as there are plenty of nice prospects at positions like DT, RB and LB who project in the 2nd and 3rd. . . i would be freakin' ecstatic if we could get wheeler in the 2nd-- sites like draft countdown and draftscout have him projected between the 2nd and 3rd, but it seems that his stock is going to rise after the senior bowl. . . especially because he weighed in at 240, which makes him look like a legitimate MIKE prospect in a class that saw both lauranaitis and maualuga return for their senior years. . . if he has a good combine, how high do you think he can rise?

mclark
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Good job, Dream. We agree pretty much about where we are and what we need.

broncohead
02-04-2008, 06:10 PM
If we release Henry we'll most likely draft a RB in the first. I think we should keep him though. One less possition of need.

omac
02-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Wow, great article Dream! :salute:

lex
02-07-2008, 11:01 AM
If we release Henry we'll most likely draft a RB in the first. I think we should keep him though. One less possition of need.

With his problems though you cant bank on him being focused and healthy...or even there. He is on hot piss test away from being gone for the season.

turftoad
02-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Good work Dream. Nice, very nice !