NightTrainLayne
12-03-2009, 01:37 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13914208

Matchmaking puts Bailey on defensive
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/03/2009 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 12/03/2009 06:23:39 AM MST

A little Tom Brady here, a little Philip Rivers there, toss in some Tony Romo, Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco, and it's clear opposing quarterbacks are taking more shots at Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey.

And that is exactly the way the Broncos want it.

"We put him in a lot of situations that if somebody wants to feed the ball to their best guy, whether it's San Diego with (Vincent) Jackson, they're going to try to feed the ball to Jackson, whether Champ's covering him or you're covering him," Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan said. "(Bailey) is going to win some of those, and he's going to lose a couple.

"But I'll tell you what, I'll put my money on Champ. We don't make his job light, we don't try to protect him. He's somebody who's got to hold up for us."

So, instead of waiting for the action to come to the eight-time Pro Bowl selection, Nolan tries to put Bailey where the Broncos want the action to go. That is a departure from past years, when Bailey could spend entire games without two passes directed toward him.

Figures compiled by The Denver Post show opposing quarterbacks have thrown at Bailey 69 times this season through 11 games, compared to 28 times in nine games in 2008, or roughly half as many times as the current pace. Bailey missed seven games because of injuries in 2008. Stats Inc., one of the NFL's statistical services, has Bailey being targeted 64 times this season, as compared with 21 times in 2008.

"I have been matched up a lot this year, more than I have been in recent years," Bailey said. "But when you're matched up on their best player, you're going to get more balls. We didn't match up a lot before; I played who came my way."

By moving around the pieces in coverage, the Broncos can influence where the ball is thrown. Quarterbacks are trained to throw away from spots where the number of defensive players outnumber the receivers. Bailey is moved around to match up one-on- one, which is where most offenses like to throw the ball, no matter who is on defense.

"By the way our defense is, there's always a spot as far as coverage, where the quarterback is going to think the weak spot is because of what he sees," Bailey said. "If it seems to him like I'm the weak spot because I'm by myself, then that's OK.

"It's a lot about how we scheme things, it's about where we want the ball to go. Obviously it works, we're playing a lot better than we have in the past."

Bailey has not surrendered a touchdown in single coverage this season, but has allowed more plays than usual, because of the extra attention on his side.

"Is he 100 percent? No, but no one is," Nolan said. "But he's one of the guys

that you count on, to say 'Look, I need you to do this at this time,' and you can count on that. Whether his play is going noticed or unnoticed, whether he's made a play or not, he may have been very important in what we were able to do just in what he was taking away from the opponent for us."

Bailey is still looking for more impact plays to go with his high-traffic work. He has one interception, which would be a career low if he doesn't get another.

"I get way more action in this defense, and it's been great for me," Bailey said. "In general, though, if you're not talking about turnovers, I give myself about a B. If you're talking making plays, it seems like I'm making good tackles, I make a breakup when I have to, tackle a guy in front of the third-down marker if I have to, but as far as making plays, I give myself a C.

"I'm hard on myself. There are some plays out there I could have made — some picks, a big breakup, things that could change a game — and I haven't been able to make them yet. That's what's missing, and that's where I want to get."

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Where the action is

Champ Bailey is seeing quarterbacks firing more passes his way this season, which he says is a product of the Broncos' defensive plan.

Times Per
Season Games targeted game 2009 11 64 5.8
2008 9 21 2.3

Source: Stats Inc.

December thaw?

The Chiefs had won 36 of their previous 40 December home games heading into 2006, but have since lost their final- month dominance. A look at their last 10 December home games:

Year Opponent Result

2004 Broncos W, 45-17
2004 Raiders W, 31-30
2005 Broncos W, 31-27
2005 Chargers W, 20-7
2006 Ravens L, 20-10
2006 Jaguars W, 35-30
2007 Chargers L, 24-10
2007 Titans L, 26-17
2008 Chargers L, 22-21
2008 Dolphins L, 38-31

Lonestar
12-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey I want Champ on their best guy, bar none he is the best we have and should be one on one with anyone.... sometimes he will win sometimes he will lose there has to be stats ons something like that..

But I'd bet BIG bucks that having their best man on the other corners would be a higher LOSS factor..

getagrip
12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
It's amazing how good he is. It's also nice to see a player of that quality not get his name in the news for bad stuff.. Wish he was on the chargers but.....

He is one STUD.... that is for sure..

GEM
12-03-2009, 02:42 PM
It would have been nice if Shanny and CO. had done this with Champ in years past. I mean he isn't getting any younger.

dogfish
12-03-2009, 06:15 PM
It would have been nice if Shanny and CO. had done this with Champ in years past. I mean he isn't getting any younger.

seriously. . . :tsk:

why WOULDN'T you want to use your all-world corner against the other team's best receiver as much as possible? shanahan was so freakin' clueless when it came to defense, and most of the dopes he brought in were disasters besides coyer, who i thought was at least decent if far from inspired. . . most of those stiffs were just hopeless. . .

LoyalSoldier
12-04-2009, 07:18 PM
seriously. . . :tsk:

why WOULDN'T you want to use your all-world corner against the other team's best receiver as much as possible? shanahan was so freakin' clueless when it came to defense, and most of the dopes he brought in were disasters besides coyer, who i thought was at least decent if far from inspired. . . most of those stiffs were just hopeless. . .
For as much as I didn't like coyer when he was here, he did know how to use Champ. Champ has his best seasons INT wise when Coyer was here.