PDA

View Full Version : My blog

BaiLeY324
01-27-2008, 02:59 AM
http://how-high-is-a-mile-high.blogspot.com/

Got the report card up. Don't be shy, hit that up. Comments and criticism appreciated :rockon:

omac
01-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Nice blog, man! :cheers:

Some comments ....

His inability to read a defense before the snap is concerning, he depends on his arm way too much, fumbles more than the average QB, his release is a bit slow, and he really hasn't shown the leadership that you expect from your starting QB yet in his career.

When rating the QB, you didn't pay much attention to his situation, though; first off, his offensive line did not give him a lot of pass protection. Couple that with the fact that 2 of the dependable starters were out with injuries, and 1 hadn't fully recovered from one, and that makes it much worse. With this line, he could've easily looked like Brodie Croyle or Alex Smith, but he didn't ... far from it.

Also, right now, Shanahan's been limiting Jay's decision making, to protect him, so there isn't a lot much he can do to change the plays. He does go through his reads when he can, but the protection from the line doesn't afford him much time to take a 5 step drop, let alone go through his reads. I'm not too sure if he has a slow release; I do know he gets rid of the ball pretty fast, faster than most, and there was a Pittsburgh article pertaining to this after the Steelers loss to us.

Finally, he's worked all pre-season getting his timing with Javon. Then Javon gets injured ... still, he's able to connect with a multitude of receivers. He goes to Marshall, Stokley, Scheffler, Graham, Young, Henry, Sapp, even Martinez if he could catch on to a pass. Some good QBs know how to pass to their main guy, like Delhomme to Smith; what Cutler is able to do, despite weak passing protection, is spread the ball around similar to Brady himself, although far from that good yet, yet without Brady's great offensive line.

Philip Rivers has an excellent offensive line, a HOF rb, and a HOF te, while Cutler's had his main rb and wr injured, and 3 of his 5 starting offensive linemen injured too. Despite that, Cutler's played well above Rivers this season.

I disagree that he hasn't shown leadership you expect from QBs; he's no Peyton or Brady, but he's done pretty okay, specially with late game winning or game tie-ing drives.

omac
01-27-2008, 11:54 PM
I disagree with the C+ rating you gave the tight ends.

Daniel Graham has been an excellent blocker, and a dependable receiver when called upon. They just haven't been calling his number much, but notice they do when it's a crucial down.

Scheffler come back great after sitting through the first few games due to his injury. The way he makes plays, impossible catches, always clutch.

Our combined TE group is maybe better than any in the league right now. Also, our TE's, like our WR's, know how to block, and that was very evident in the Colts game when we had 3(?) TE sets all run-blocking.

Our TE's at the very least deserve a B+.

omac
01-27-2008, 11:56 PM
I agree with you that our OL and DL were pretty bad, but I think the DL was worse than the OL. Cutler wasn't the most sacked QB, but our run defense was one of the league's worst.