PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' McDaniels praises ousted Weis

Lonestar
12-02-2009, 04:53 PM
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/01/2009 07:21:23 PM MST
Updated: 12/01/2009 07:29:15 PM MST

For four seasons early this decade back in New England, a young Josh McDaniels learned how to coach offense and call plays from Charlie Weis.

On Tuesday, McDaniels praised Weis, a man he called a "great friend" and mentor, after Weis was fired from his job as head coach at Notre Dame.

Weis coached the Fighting Irish for five seasons. When Weis left Bill Belichick's staff for South Bend, McDaniels got his first chance to call plays, and eventually became New England's offensive coordinator.

"I know Charlie is a strong-willed person, and he's going to land somewhere," McDaniels said. "He's a really good football coach, that's what I know."

McDaniels said he was "happy with his staff right now," when asked if he might consider hiring Weis in Denver.

Two current Broncos played for Weis at Notre Dame - right tackle Ryan Harris and rookie safety David Bruton. Harris said he and other players from his era at Notre Dame owe much of their success to Weis. Harris, who graduated in 2007, played for Weis for two years, and those teams went to two BCS bowl games.

"He'll land on his feet. He's a good coach," Harris said. "We all have a lot of respect for Charlie Weis, because he did so much for us, you really just hope for the best for him and his staff."

The other major college football story Tuesday was the retirement of longtime Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, a move that surprised and saddened the only former Seminole on Denver's roster, practice squad cornerback Tony Carter.

"You think he would have the right to make his own decision whether he wanted to stay or not," said Carter, a rookie who started 50 games for Bowden between 2005-2008. "He's definitely an icon and will be one of the greatest coaches to ever live. I was just glad to be a part of it."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13903683?source=pop

claymore
12-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Can anyone say that they actually like our Offensive Coordinator?

Lonestar
12-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Can anyone say that they actually like our Offensive Coordinator?without looking what is his name?

claymore
12-02-2009, 05:09 PM
without looking what is his name?

Exactly. I had to look it up a couple weeks ago, and I already forgot it.

dogfish
12-02-2009, 06:53 PM

i like JMFMCD just fine. . . .

rcsodak
12-02-2009, 07:52 PM
i like JMFMCD just fine. . . .

Doesn't McD call the plays? I thought McCoy just laid out the gameplane with him, during the week?

dogfish
12-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I thought McCoy just laid out the gameplane with him, during the week?

really? and here i thought all he did was fetch josh's coffee. . .

who knew?

MadMax
12-02-2009, 08:43 PM
I really don't want us to tread any further down the path of becoming the patriot's west coast expansion team. Honestly though I don't know anything about his pro football abilities. I do know that as a college coach he really grated on my nerves the way he implied that his abilities were somehow "above" college football and no one understood his "real" genius there.

Superchop 7
12-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Well, I hope he doesn't land on me.

Just sayin..

wbmustang
12-03-2009, 01:38 AM

Can I be happy about JMFMCD but not at the same time. I think he abandons the run kind of early and will try use those screens as an "extended handoff". Like against the Giants we have an ok run get three yards, 2nd down we throw a screen pass the Moreno who drops the rock, now we are in 3rd in long. I might have got the specific example not spot on and rambling but bottom line I think we should pound the rock. Also I have really been impressed with Buckhalter this year I always liked him with the eagles.

JDL
12-03-2009, 02:47 AM
Supposedly Weis and Fox in Carolina are best friends, just incredibly tight and Weis is going to be the Panthers next OC.

jlarsiii
12-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I really don't want us to tread any further down the path of becoming the patriot's west coast expansion team. Honestly though I don't know anything about his pro football abilities. I do know that as a college coach he really grated on my nerves the way he implied that his abilities were somehow "above" college football and no one understood his "real" genius there.

If we could replicate their success in the past decade without cheating I would not mind turning into patriots west at all. Still, with that said I do not want to add weis to our staff. We already have one egomaniacal coach calling the plays. We do not need to add another one.

weazel
12-03-2009, 12:24 PM
without looking what is his name?

Waldo?

claymore
12-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Its Mike McCoy. But I still want to know what he does. I want a prodigy. Not a yes man.

Ravage!!!
12-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Supposedly Weis and Fox in Carolina are best friends, just incredibly tight and Weis is going to be the Panthers next OC.

No way.. because Fox will be fired after the season's end and Cowher will be the new HC. Weis better look for another opportunity.

weazel
12-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Its Mike McCoy. But I still want to know what he does. I want a prodigy. Not a yes man.

yes,sir!

NightTrainLayne
12-03-2009, 01:11 PM

I must say that I really liked his offense in Carolina last year. I'd say that he's our best hope of establishing a running game each week. Hopefully, McD will loosen his reigns a little bit.

slim
12-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Yeah, I'm sure he drools on himself.

Lonestar
12-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I must say that I really liked his offense in Carolina last year. I'd say that he's our best hope of establishing a running game each week. Hopefully, McD will loosen his reigns a little bit.

I think I like the we are going to attack the weaknesses of an opponent style, making for a new offensive game plan each week..

opposed to run run run and hope it works..

NightTrainLayne
12-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I think I like the we are going to attack the weaknesses of an opponent style, making for a new offensive game plan each week..

opposed to run run run and hope it works..

Well sure, but you can use the run game to attack the other team's weaknesses against the run. I'm a firm believer that this is the way to go as far as game-planning. . .it's just really, really labor intensive.

I think too much gets made out of McD's game-planning for each opponent. Yes, he takes it to a high level, but so did Shanny. It's nothing new for the Broncos. The rest of the league doesn't do this to the same degree, but as Bronco fans we should be used to it because Shanahan was one of the best at this.

That's one thing Plummer never liked. He didn't like having to be ready for a whole new game-plan with 50+ new pass plays implemented each week for the upcoming opponent.

claymore
12-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I'm sure he drools on himself.

If thats the case I dont know. Hopefully he is a genius.

JDL
12-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Well sure, but you can use the run game to attack the other team's weaknesses against the run. I'm a firm believer that this is the way to go as far as game-planning. . .it's just really, really labor intensive.

I think too much gets made out of McD's game-planning for each opponent. Yes, he takes it to a high level, but so did Shanny. It's nothing new for the Broncos. The rest of the league doesn't do this to the same degree, but as Bronco fans we should be used to it because Shanahan was one of the best at this.

That's one thing Plummer never liked. He didn't like having to be ready for a whole new game-plan with 50+ new pass plays implemented each week for the upcoming opponent.

Right now I wish we had more of Shanahan, because our offense stinks early on, which means our game planning over the week stinks. We do a solid job of adjusting to what we see out of the D, but in the first quarter we should be dictating to the D what we are going to do and keep them on their heels and out of their gameplan.

JDL
12-03-2009, 02:48 PM
No way.. because Fox will be fired after the season's end and Cowher will be the new HC. Weis better look for another opportunity.

It is questionable. I doubt in the end though that they can him when he's taken them to 2 division championships in the last 4 years and 3 in the last 6 plus the Super Bowl. That doesn't buy a coach forever though. A strong finish to the season probably keeps him safe and a total collapse gets him his walking papers.

As for Cowher, that is not highly likely. Jerry Richardson is not one of the more wealthy owners in the league. His money is made through cheap food franchises and the down economy has not helped his business interests. The Panthers are not a big market team. He is passionate and creative, but I do not see how he will come up with the near 10mil/year to lure Cowher to Carolina. Maybe Cowher would take a discount to work and live there, but it is doubtful that it would be THAT much of a discount. Big difference between 50mil guaranteed and 25mil guaranteed.

Fox is a defensive-minded coach and they are solid defensively in yards allowed (hurt tremendously in points by the offenses turnovers.) No doubt there will be changes, but am not sure I see wholesale turnover. If they could raise the money the job certainly would interest Mike Shanahan though as his wife would prefer to be closer to Florida.

Lonestar
12-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Right now I wish we had more of Shanahan, because our offense stinks early on, which means our game planning over the week stinks. We do a solid job of adjusting to what we see out of the D, but in the first quarter we should be dictating to the D what we are going to do and keep them on their heels and out of their gameplan.

AS all the players buy into KNOWING the scheme to the point we are not thinking about the play and just doing it.. That means all 11 on the field that will make a huge difference.. Marshall seems to have got there over the past few games, Orton I think is still getting it, he not only needs to know his job but he also needs to know where EACH of his WR and TE are on the field at anyone given time ..

we should be getting better with less and less mental mistakes as the season winds down..

everyone seems to forget the only two persons on the O that knew the scheme are Josh and Gaffney starting the season.. even the OC and all the coaches are learning it..

rome was not built in a day..

HORSEPOWER 56
12-03-2009, 03:46 PM
I could really see Weis landing in Cleveland as the OC next year. He and Quinn know each other and it would probably be good for him. NTM the Weis - Mangina connection from NE.

Ravage!!!
12-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I could really see Weis landing in Cleveland as the OC next year. He and Quinn know each other and it would probably be good for him. NTM the Weis - Mangina connection from NE.

I don't know, man. I wouldn't be shocked, if he comes back into the NFL as an OC, to see him end up in NE again. Why wouldn't he? They haven't won a Super Bowl since he left, he would get to coach with a very good coach and coach a top 2 QB in the NFL. Cleveland you end up with... mangini and quinn? who very well may end up out of Cleveland anyway.

dogfish
12-03-2009, 05:39 PM

JMFMCD is supposed to be the prodigy, and you can't have two on one team-- it violates the laws of nature, dove valley might implode or something. . . and josh is for all intents and purposes our OC-- he said right when he was hired that he was going to call the plays. . . you can love it or hate it, it's what you're going to get. . . he's shown exactly NO signs of having even the slightest interest in bringing in somebody else to be anything more than a yes-man in the OC position-- and really, if he's going to be the playcaller himself, why would he?

why pay big bucks for a gopher? and who'd want the job anyway? IMO, JMFMCD resembles shanahan in that he's a bit of a control freak who isn't looking to delegate too much on his side of the ball, or in the personnel department. . . BUT, he already did what shenanigans refused to do, and brought in a bigtime DC to fix the defense. . .

and while i don't think anyone's all that thrilled with the offense, ya gotta give the guy some time to put it all together, especially since he's a young coach who's learning on the fly. . . even tom brady says it takes years to really master the system. . . but given that we're well over .500 and in control of our own destiny for the playoffs in december, i'm plenty content with what JMFMCD has accomplished so far. . . i'm less afraid to watch games than i was at this point last year, when i KNEW we were in full-on collapse mode. . . give josh time to take his lumps, learn the ropes, establish his scheme and finish retooling the roster, and i fully expect good results. . .

WTE
12-03-2009, 07:36 PM
If we could replicate their success in the past decade without cheating I would not mind turning into patriots west at all. Still, with that said I do not want to add weis to our staff. We already have one egomaniacal coach calling the plays. We do not need to add another one.

You cheated in the 90's so what's the difference?

oobehr
12-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I think weis goes to Cleveland to be best buds with Mangenius and the Brady Wonder.

Ravage!!!
12-03-2009, 10:41 PM
It is questionable. I doubt in the end though that they can him when he's taken them to 2 division championships in the last 4 years and 3 in the last 6 plus the Super Bowl. That doesn't buy a coach forever though. A strong finish to the season probably keeps him safe and a total collapse gets him his walking papers.
Division championships mean SQUAT. Honestly. No team SHOULD be proud of division championships. Fox has been a very mediocre/average coach at best. 11 wins to 7.. 11 wins to 8... now 12 wins to a 4-7 record, and they aren't getting better or winning out. With any average team, 8 years is a long time to hold your tenure in the NFL. I don't see how they can justify keeping Fox... not to their season ticket holders or their fans.

As for Cowher, that is not highly likely. Jerry Richardson is not one of the more wealthy owners in the league. His money is made through cheap food franchises and the down economy has not helped his business interests. The Panthers are not a big market team. He is passionate and creative, but I do not see how he will come up with the near 10mil/year to lure Cowher to Carolina. Maybe Cowher would take a discount to work and live there, but it is doubtful that it would be THAT much of a discount. Big difference between 50mil guaranteed and 25mil guaranteed.
I think its very likely. Cowher is known to be interested in the Carolina job. He wants to coach, but, wants to stay close to his family. His daughter is going to college at NC.
He didn't accept a coaching job this last season, and many people (in the know) believe its because he's waiting for the Carolina job. Considering they are 4-7, and looking bad, there isn't any real reason to believe the owner would wish to keep Fox over the chance to get Bill.

I'm not familiar with coaches getting a signing bonus, and not sure where you get the 25 or 50 million guaranteed??? But I would bet in a minute that Fox is fired from Carolina. That team is a mess, and is going downhill. Cowher's name alone brings legitimacy to the organization, and will boost season ticket sales for the next three years immediately by hiring him.

I think Fox is not only on teh bubble, but his bubble has burst.

slim
12-03-2009, 10:44 PM
You cheated in the 90's so what's the difference?

Cheat or not, we still own your sorry ass team.

Ravage!!!
12-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Didn't Shanahan bring in Ray Rhodes and Slowik... two 'bigtime' DCs?

Peerless
12-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Why wouldn't he praise Weis?

Bro's before hoes folks... Bro's before hoes.

Timmy!
12-03-2009, 11:21 PM
No way in hell Weis lands in Denver. McD is just backing an old friend, which is fine by me (ND bias aside).

I have a love/hate relationship with our offensive play calling this year. Hopefully, we have figured out that running ZBS out of an I formation>>>>pulling guards out of the effing shotgun. I hope.

dogfish
12-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Didn't Shanahan bring in Ray Rhodes and Slowik... two 'bigtime' DCs?

are you being sarcastic?

rcsodak
12-04-2009, 08:52 PM

Interesting about Jake. Happen to remember when he said this?

rcsodak
12-04-2009, 08:55 PM

That's funny, because many on the boards despised Shanny for NOT adjusting as the game progressed. They'd point out, to the contrary, how after his first 15+ scripted plays, he wouldn't make any adjustments.

I'd say over the last years of his reign, I'd have to agree with them.

rcsodak
12-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Division championships mean SQUAT. Honestly. No team SHOULD be proud of division championships. Fox has been a very mediocre/average coach at best. 11 wins to 7.. 11 wins to 8... now 12 wins to a 4-7 record, and they aren't getting better or winning out. With any average team, 8 years is a long time to hold your tenure in the NFL. I don't see how they can justify keeping Fox... not to their season ticket holders or their fans.

I think its very likely. Cowher is known to be interested in the Carolina job. He wants to coach, but, wants to stay close to his family. His daughter is going to college at NC.
He didn't accept a coaching job this last season, and many people (in the know) believe its because he's waiting for the Carolina job. Considering they are 4-7, and looking bad, there isn't any real reason to believe the owner would wish to keep Fox over the chance to get Bill.

I'm not familiar with coaches getting a signing bonus, and not sure where you get the 25 or 50 million guaranteed??? But I would bet in a minute that Fox is fired from Carolina. That team is a mess, and is going downhill. Cowher's name alone brings legitimacy to the organization, and will boost season ticket sales for the next three years immediately by hiring him.

I think Fox is not only on teh bubble, but his bubble has burst.

Fox=Schottenheimer

:coffee:

HORSEPOWER 56
12-04-2009, 09:39 PM
JMFMCD is supposed to be the prodigy, and you can't have two on one team-- it violates the laws of nature, dove valley might implode or something. . . and josh is for all intents and purposes our OC-- he said right when he was hired that he was going to call the plays. . . you can love it or hate it, it's what you're going to get. . . he's shown exactly NO signs of having even the slightest interest in bringing in somebody else to be anything more than a yes-man in the OC position-- and really, if he's going to be the playcaller himself, why would he?

why pay big bucks for a gopher? and who'd want the job anyway? IMO, JMFMCD resembles shanahan in that he's a bit of a control freak who isn't looking to delegate too much on his side of the ball, or in the personnel department. . . BUT, he already did what shenanigans refused to do, and brought in a bigtime DC to fix the defense. . .

and while i don't think anyone's all that thrilled with the offense, ya gotta give the guy some time to put it all together, especially since he's a young coach who's learning on the fly. . . even tom brady says it takes years to really master the system. . . but given that we're well over .500 and in control of our own destiny for the playoffs in december, i'm plenty content with what JMFMCD has accomplished so far. . . i'm less afraid to watch games than i was at this point last year, when i KNEW we were in full-on collapse mode. . . give josh time to take his lumps, learn the ropes, establish his scheme and finish retooling the roster, and i fully expect good results. . .

Ohhh, Ohhh, Ohhhh!!! Me, Me, Me! :target: I'd take the job in a heartbeat! Let Mcd do all the work while I make 10X what I make now? No problem being a nobody figurehead OC, here dog!