PDA

View Full Version : If the season ended today & almost EVERY what if scenario for the Broncos in the postseason

RunYouOver
12-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Rather than simply doing one of those “If the season ended today” threads that I’ve made the past few years, I thought I’d REALLY expand it this year and provide the answers to many, if not all the “what ifs” everyone has, myself included.

So here’s how this will work: First, the traditional If the season ended today playoff scenarios, with match ups down through the rest of the postseason. Second, a list of our remaining schedule (with some stats) followed by San Diego’s remaining schedule (with some stats). Finally, I’ll play the “what if” game, and run out a bunch of scenarios and let you know how we would wind up.

If the season ended TODAY (After Week 12):
AFC:
1. Indy (11-0, clinched AFC South)
2. Cincinnati (8-3, first in the AFC North)
3. San Diego (8-3, first in the AFC West)
4. New England (7-4, first in the AFC East)
5. Denver (7-4, higher seeded WC)
6. Jacksonville (6-5, lower seeded WC)
In the hunt:
7. Baltimore (6-5)
8. Pittsburgh (6-5)

Explanations:

--Cincinnati is currently seeded above San Diego because of a better record in common games, but this tiebreaker will be pointless after these teams meet in Week 15

--For the three 6-5 teams, Pittsburgh would be eliminated because Baltimore currently has the head to head advantage over them (1-0), and Jacksonville beats out Baltimore because of a better AFC record (5-2 compared with 6-4)

NFC:
1. New Orleans (11-0)
2. Minnesota (10-1)
3. Dallas (8-3)
4. Arizona (7-4)
5. Philly (7-4)
6. Green Bay (7-4)

In the hunt:
7. New York (6-5)
8. Atlanta (6-5)

Explanations:

--Philadelphia has a better conference record (6-2 compared with 6-3) than Green Bay

Post season match ups:
--Indy, Cincinnati, New Orleans and Minnesota have first round byes.
--Jax @ SD, Den @ NE, GB @ DAL, PHI @ ARI
--If we won, we would likely play Indy in round 2, in Indianapolis.

Remaining Schedules:
DEN: @ KC, @ IND, vs. OAK, @ PHI, vs. KC
SD: @ CLE, @ DAL, vs. CIN, @ TEN, vs. WAS

--We each have 2 home games left, 3 away games left

--Denver has three very winnable games, one difficult game, and one very
difficult game

--San Diego has 2 very winnable games and three difficult games

--We probably lucked out that SD has to travel to Tennessee in Week 16...If TEN has any shot of making the playoffs, or even if they don’t, they’ve been playing much better as of late and will be a challenging road game for the Chargers

--The Bengals, a good team anyway, will be playing the Chargers hard as well, knowing that it could be for a first round bye

--Dallas needs every game in the very competitive NFC East, so SD traveling to Dallas will be a challenge

--KC is always a tough place to play in December, so this next game, while winnable, is no guarantee at all

--Indy may be relaxed a bit playing us, with homefield advantage an almost certainty if they can win this week

--Philly is in the same spot we’re in, and it is always tough playing there, too…that will be a tough one

--Comparing these schedules, it is very possible SD goes 3-2 and we go 4-1, which would put us both at 11-5…then what, you ask?

What if scenarios:
If Denver ONLY loses to INDY, and SD loses to Cincy and Dallas:

We split the head to head, we would both be 5-1 in the division, so you go to the common games record, where the common opponents are the AFC North and NFC East: Denver is 5-3 in those games while San Diego would be 4-4 with those two losses. We’d both be 8-4 in conference record, which wouldn’t matter here. In this scenario, we win the division and would be the third seed most likely, as Cincy would be primed to finish 12-4 if they beat SD.

If Denver ONLY loses to INDY, and SD loses to TEN and Dallas:

Here is where it gets real, real tricky: Tied head to head, tied division record, tied common opponents, tied conference, so the next tie breaker here would be strength of victory. Since it’s too tricky and kind of pointless to determine how all of the teams we play will finish, I’ll show you where we stand as of now to give you an idea: Denver has beaten CIN, CLE, OAK, DAL, NE, SD, NYG, who have a combined record of 41-36. SD has beaten Oakland (x2) Denver, KC (x2), Miami, Philly and NYG, who have a combined record of 37-40. Our current strength of victory is 0.532, SD’s is .481, so we would win here.
In this scenario, Cincy would likely finish 11-5, tying with us. Because of our head to head victory, we would be the #2 seed and have a first round bye

If Denver ONLY loses to INDY and SD loses to Cincy and Ten:
We would have a better common opponents record and would win the division.

If Denver ONLY loses to Philly and SD loses to Cincy and Dallas:

In this scenario, the common opponents would be tied at 4-4, but our conference record would be better (9-3) than San Diego’s (8-4), so we would win. We would probably be the third or fourth seed in this scenario.

If Denver ONLY loses to Philly and SD loses to TEN and Dallas:

San Diego would have a better common opponents record than us and would win the division. We would be the fifth seed.

If Denver ONLY loses to Philly and SD loses to Ten and CIN:

We would have a tied common opponents record, but a better conference record, and would win the division.

If Denver loses to Philly AND Indy, and SD loses to Cincy, TEN and DAL:

Common opponents record would be tied, but our conference record would be better than SD’s (8-4 to 7-5).

If we lose ANY division game:

We would need to finish with a better record than SD, or they would win the division with a better divisional record.

If we win out and SD loses to Cin:

We would have a tied common opponents record, but a better conference record (9-3 to 8-4), so we would win the division.

If we win out and SD loses to DAL:
Tied opponents record, tied conference record but better strength of victory, so we would win the division.

If we win out and SD loses to TEN:

San Diego would have a better common opponents record (6-2 to 5-3) and they would win the division.

Key things to keep in mind in case of any ties:

--We have the tie breaker over Cincy and New England, and if Indy loses out, then we would have it over Indy too.

--Baltimore and Pittsburgh have tiebreakers over us, BUT, it is my understanding of rule No. 1 of the tiebreaking procedure for 3+ clubs of the wildcard, that if the three of us were tied at the end of the season with the same record for the 5th and 6th seeds, only the higher seeded divisional winner would get a spot, and we would get the 6th spot. Judge for yourself, but that is how I interpreted it:
“Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.”

--If we can win 4 out of our last 5 though, we are in regardless as Pit and Baltimore still have one head-to-head meeting, and Jacksonville’s schedule looks far too difficult to win out (vs Miami, Indy, @New England).

Any questions, let me know.

Lonestar
12-01-2009, 10:54 PM
except on Tuesday if someone is wearing brown socks and has green EYES..

great job :salute: I expect another one next week..

RunYouOver
12-01-2009, 10:56 PM
except on Tuesday if someone is wearing brown socks and has green EYES..

great job :salute: I expect another one next week..

Every week, time permitting :salute:

Tned
12-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Every week, time permitting :salute:

Nice work. :salute:

slim
12-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Lots of words there...dogfish will be proud.

LordTrychon
12-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Didn't read it.

:coffee:

slim
12-01-2009, 11:12 PM
I would have read it, but life is short.

Italianmobstr7
12-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Good work. Things look good for us making the playoffs. Pats missed at 11-5 last year, hope that doesn't happen to us this year!

TXBRONC
12-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Great job RYO.

TXBRONC
12-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Good work. Things look good for us making the playoffs. Pats missed at 11-5 last year, hope that doesn't happen to us this year!

In most years 11-5 will get you into the playoffs.

slim
12-01-2009, 11:33 PM
In most years 11-5 will get you into the playoffs.

In most years 10-6 will.

Buff
12-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Nice work...

At this point I've almost conceded the division to the Chargers. You just can't ignore the blowout at home. I think we'll end up with 9-10 wins and they'll have 11. I think the top 4 seeds are set--Jax & Pitt will fade down the stretch, Ravens & Broncos take the 5 and 6 seeds.

KCL
12-02-2009, 01:14 AM
I would have read it, but life is short.

and LT can't read...:lol:

I didn't read it either but looks like there was alot of thinking put into
all those..what if's.

rcsodak
12-02-2009, 01:17 AM
If Denver ONLY loses to INDY, and SD loses to TEN and Dallas:

Here is where it gets real, real tricky: Tied head to head, tied division record, tied common opponents, tied conference, so the next tie breaker here would be strength of victory. Since it’s too tricky and kind of pointless to determine how all of the teams we play will finish, I’ll show you where we stand as of now to give you an idea: Denver has beaten CIN, CLE, OAK, DAL, NE, SD, NYG, who have a combined record of 41-36. SD has beaten Oakland (x2) Denver, KC (x2), Miami, Philly and NYG, who have a combined record of 37-40. Our current strength of victory is 0.532, SD’s is .481, so we would win here.
In this scenario, Cincy would likely finish 11-5, tying with us. Because of our head to head victory, we would be the #2 seed and have a first round bye

Since Denver BEAT Dallas, and you show SD LOSING to them, wouldn't that make your whole paragraph futile, and give the Divison to Denver? :confused:

BroncoWave
12-02-2009, 02:09 AM
Honestly, I'm not too worried about the wildcard assuming we can finish 3-2. Granted there's alot of football to be played but I like our chances. As for the 3 teams with a realistic shot (Pitt, Jax, Bal (I'm eliminating the 5-6 teams)) Pit is the only one who concerns me. Jax is about to hit a freefall. If you look at their schedule they are terrible. All of their wins have been over terrible teams (except Houston) and they have all been by less than 7 points. They have lost to every decent team they have played and they have a brutal schedule coming up.

Baltimore is similar. They've beaten a bunch of crappy teams other than us and Pitt. And the Pitt game was still pathetic because they were very depleted. Their win over us is really their only really impressive win all season. I don't think they will win at GB or at Pitt and that alone will be enough to knock them out if we can finish 3-2.

I would honestly be shocked if Denver and Pitt aren't the two wildcards this year. Now this could all change if we lay an egg at KC this weekend but assuming we don't, I think we will be just fine. 10-6 will almost certainly get us in IMO.

Dirk
12-02-2009, 06:35 AM
:eek:

That's a lot of scenarios! Good job! I wouldn't have put that much effort into that like you did. So a :salute: to you!

RunYouOver
12-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Since Denver BEAT Dallas, and you show SD LOSING to them, wouldn't that make your whole paragraph futile, and give the Divison to Denver? :confused:

As of right now, we've lost 3 of the 8 common opponent games, and San Diego has only lost 2. Losing to Dallas would mean they've lose 3 of 8 as well. Losing to Dallas and Cincy would mean they'd have lost 4 of 8.

:salute:

Nomad
12-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Nice work...

At this point I've almost conceded the division to the Chargers. You just can't ignore the blowout at home. I think we'll end up with 9-10 wins and they'll have 11. I think the top 4 seeds are set--Jax & Pitt will fade down the stretch, Ravens & Broncos take the 5 and 6 seeds.

Yeah unless the Chargers do a "BRONCOS" (choke away the season), I don't see them losing the division!!

Good work as always RYO!!

Requiem / The Dagda
12-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Good thing Denver is winning out! :salute: Thanks buddie.

nevcraw
12-02-2009, 07:08 PM
one week at a time..

T.K.O.
12-02-2009, 07:30 PM
one week at a time..

one " WIN " at a time :beer:

NorthernLights
12-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I posted this earlier, but it works here too.

Based upon this site, they are saying the Broncos have the following:

6% chance of #2 seed
11% chance of #3 seed
3% chance of #4 seed
25% chance of #5 seed
24% chance of #6 seed and
31% chance of missing the playoffs

I thought it was cool.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/afcstandings.html

Timmy!
12-02-2009, 07:48 PM
The Chiefs and Raiders have a greater than 99% chance of missing the playoffs. Astounding.

rcsodak
12-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I posted this earlier, but it works here too.

Based upon this site, they are saying the Broncos have the following:

6% chance of #2 seed
11% chance of #3 seed
3% chance of #4 seed
25% chance of #5 seed
24% chance of #6 seed and
31% chance of missing the playoffs

I thought it was cool.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/afcstandings.html

69% probablility of making the playoffs! Wow.

Cool. Can it start next week? :coffee:

RunYouOver
12-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Another thing to consider, WHO TO ROOT FOR TODAY:

Today, as Broncos fans, we are rooting for DENVER first and foremost, then Detroit, Indy, Houston, Miami, Oakland and Cleveland. Tomorrow we are rooting for Green Bay.

In order of importance:

1)Denver
2)Cleveland
3)Green Bay/Oakland
5)Houston
6)Detroit
7)Indy
8)Miami

:beer:

broncophan
12-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Great work putting that together....

I would feel better if we would have won against Baltimore and/or Pittsburgh....as far as tiebreaker situations go......but woulda,coulda,shoulda I guess....

TXBRONC
12-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Another thing to consider, WHO TO ROOT FOR TODAY:

Today, as Broncos fans, we are rooting for DENVER first and foremost, then Detroit, Indy, Houston, Miami, Oakland and Cleveland. Tomorrow we are rooting for Green Bay.

In order of importance:

1)Denver
2)Cleveland
3)Green Bay/Oakland
5)Houston
6)Detroit
7)Indy
8)Miami

:beer:

Oakland and Miami have delivered now if Cleveland can deliver that would be the icing on the cake.

BroncoBJ
12-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Oakland and Miami have delivered now if Cleveland can deliver that would be the icing on the cake.

Lets hope Quinn can lead a comeback for the ages and win 28-27 :elefant:

God the Browns piss me off. They got in the redzone like 3 times in the 1st half and only 1 TD. :fight:

Oh well. hopefully the Cowboys beat them next week.

Nomad
12-06-2009, 06:17 PM

No chance! SD up by 3 or 4 scores but it would be nice!! To give SD props, they're an excellent second half of the season team !!

JDL
12-06-2009, 11:51 PM
I really don't see any problem with Pittsburgh running the table on their final 4 opponents. They looked a bit rusty today. Expect them to destroy Cleveland next week.

Big game tomorrow night... Need Green Bay to win because that reduces the race down to Jax. and the winner of the Balt/Pit game and us. We still lose to BOTH those teams if we tie.

Jax still has a tough schedule with NE and Indy following Miami next week, but don't discount them. They are well coached and don't turn the ball over. Very tough to beat teams like that.

All the game today really means is that we have a good chance at going 10-6. 11-5 can be done with upsets over either Indy or Phil ... both games on the road. Wouldn't just count on us winning either of those games.

We will definitely see what this team is made of the next 4 weeks, as they played really really poorly today. KC just killed themselves, horrible dropped passes and countless missed opportunities... we have got to stop turning the ball over and making dumb mistakes (and Berger STILL gets the ball away WAY too slowly.) It is one of the most amazing things I've seen that we won that game by that margin. Speaks to just how badly KC is playing right now... but I'll take it and I am sure every Broncos fan everywhere will.

Reidman
12-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Great work RYO...I like seeing how different scenarios will play out.

T.K.O.
12-07-2009, 01:59 PM
and to think we had a 96% chance of winning the division after week 6......and now we have a 31% chance of missing the playoffs....booooooo
on a brighter note we won 6 in a row to start the year and we are 4 games away from finishing with a 6-0 run !!!!!!:beer::D:salute:

BroncoWave
12-07-2009, 02:01 PM
and to think we had a 96% chance of winning the division after week 6......and now we have a 31% chance of missing the playoffs....booooooo
on a brighter note we won 6 in a row to start the year and we are 4 games away from finishing with a 6-0 run !!!!!!:beer::D:salute:

We actually have an 87% chance of making the playoffs now according to this site: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NFL.html

The 69% was calculated before this week's games.

NorthernLights
12-07-2009, 02:40 PM
We actually have an 87% chance of making the playoffs now according to this site: http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NFL.html

The 69% was calculated before this week's games.

That is an interesting site. It shows that if the Broncos beat the Colts, the percentage to make the playoffs goes up to 97.6%, but if they lose, it goes down to 82.9%.

Buff
12-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I wonder what the odds were when we were 3 games up with 3 to play last year.

NorthernLights
12-07-2009, 02:48 PM
i wonder what the odds were when we were 3 games up with 3 to play last year.

93.68%