PDA

View Full Version : Harris’ imminent return should shore up protection for Orton

TXBRONC
12-01-2009, 07:34 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/11/27/harris-imminent-return-should-shore-up-protection

Harris’ imminent return should shore up protection for Orton
Posted Nov. 27, 2009 @ 6:13 p.m.
By Dan Parr

Broncos ORT Ryan Harris missed his fourth straight game in Denver's Week 12 win due to dislocated toes on his right foot, but we hear he will likely be back for the team's next game. He might have even played in Week 12 if the team hadn't faced the abbreviated week of preparation that came with playing on Thanksgiving, sources say. His replacement, second-year OT Tyler Polumbus, has struggled to fill the void. Observers say the offensive line's performance has spiraled downward since Harris sustained his injury. The Broncos have allowed 10 sacks in the four-plus games they have played without Harris after having given up 10 in the first six-plus contests they played with a healthy Harris. QB Kyle Orton, who is already playing on a bad ankle, is at his best when he can sit back in the pocket with time to make his reads, and Harris' return will be welcomed.

BroncoHusker
12-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Great news!

Grover
12-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Good news that Harris is back, but I didn't think that Polumbus did all that poorly. Expecially in the Giants game, I thought he did quite well.

Tned
12-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I sure hope he makes it back. Getting him back to anchor the right side will be big, both in pass protection and the run game.

shank
12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Good news that Harris is back, but I didn't think that Polumbus did all that poorly. Expecially in the Giants game, I thought he did quite well.

i agree, polumbus did admirably, especially after getting settled in, but i'll still be very glad to get harris back. hopefully polumbus played well enough that harris isn't rushing back and will be 100%

getlynched47
12-01-2009, 08:53 PM

I totally agree. Polumbus was decent as a pass-blocker, but absolutely devastating in run-blocking. I saw the guy make some very nice blocks. Just look back at the Chargers and Giants game. They ran a lot to Polumbus' side and he paved a lane for Knowshon Moreno. Hell even Moreno's biggest run vs. Washington was sprung by a great block by Polumbus.

gobroncsnv
12-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Wasn't crazy about the losses we went through, but glad Polumbus got to see what it was all about for a bit. Will just help him to know what to work on. Will be interesting to see what our line looks with Harris back, Hochstein in for Hamster, and Moreno starting to feel it. This could be cool.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Polumbus was terrible, and Harris is the second best player on our line outside Ryan Clady, who unfortunately has allowed two sacks this year. (He is still awesome!) Our rushing attack will be better with Ryan in there and our pass protection as well. I don't mind Tyler getting experience though, we need a backup tackle god forbid anything happened to Clady and Ryan would have to slide over. Here is to one of my favorite Broncos kickin' ass and takin' names.

MasterShake
12-01-2009, 10:27 PM
This is great news. I was already pumped about our run to the playoffs, now it just got that much easier. I think the next few weeks are gonna be really fun. Can't overlook KC though, there is no reason for us not to be at LEAST a 10 win team. An upset in Philly (which is likely) or Indy (not so much) would just be icing on a much better than expected season.

Lonestar
12-01-2009, 10:44 PM
I totally agree. Polumbus was decent as a pass-blocker, but absolutely devastating in run-blocking. I saw the guy make some very nice blocks. Just look back at the Chargers and Giants game. They ran a lot to Polumbus' side and he paved a lane for Knowshon Moreno. Hell even Moreno's biggest run vs. Washington was sprung by a great block by Polumbus.

that was how I saw it a road grader in the run game.. they were getting HUGE runs to the right side.. not so sure as Pass blocking but Harris is good and with Tyler getting the reps it will not hurt him for down the road...

wonder how Tyler would play as a ORG or OLG.. that would get us about 15 more pounds IIRC on the OLINE..

TXBRONC
12-01-2009, 11:12 PM
i agree, polumbus did admirably, especially after getting settled in, but i'll still be very glad to get harris back. hopefully polumbus played well enough that harris isn't rushing back and will be 100%

Same here, I thought Polumbus did a good job I'll be glad to get Harris back in there when he's ready to go.

dogfish
12-01-2009, 11:27 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/11/27/harris-imminent-return-should-shore-up-protection

Harris’ imminent return should shore up protection for Orton
Posted Nov. 27, 2009 @ 6:13 p.m.
By Dan Parr

Broncos ORT Ryan Harris missed his fourth straight game in Denver's Week 12 win due to dislocated toes on his right foot, but we hear he will likely be back for the team's next game. He might have even played in Week 12 if the team hadn't faced the abbreviated week of preparation that came with playing on Thanksgiving, sources say. His replacement, second-year OT Tyler Polumbus, has struggled to fill the void. Observers say the offensive line's performance has spiraled downward since Harris sustained his injury. The Broncos have allowed 10 sacks in the four-plus games they have played without Harris after having given up 10 in the first six-plus contests they played with a healthy Harris. QB Kyle Orton, who is already playing on a bad ankle, is at his best when he can sit back in the pocket with time to make his reads, and Harris' return will be welcomed.

^^ i approve of this post ^^

dogfish
12-01-2009, 11:29 PM
that was how I saw it a road grader in the run game.. they were getting HUGE runs to the right side.. not so sure as Pass blocking but Harris is good and with Tyler getting the reps it will not hurt him for down the road...

wonder how Tyler would play as a ORG or OLG.. that would get us about 15 more pounds IIRC on the OLINE..

whoa, whoa, WHOA there buddy! OLG maybe, but we've got a damn good ORG as it is! :tsk:

i don't care if polumbus weighs 500 pounds, no way he replaces kupes!

Lonestar
12-01-2009, 11:52 PM
whoa, whoa, WHOA there buddy! OLG maybe, but we've got a damn good ORG as it is! :tsk:

i don't care if polumbus weighs 500 pounds, no way he replaces kupes!

I was thinking Kupes could switch over to OLG and make that side beyond belief.. depending on which way Tyler plays best we know that Kupes can do almost anything on the OLINE..

dogfish
12-01-2009, 11:58 PM
I was thinking Kupes could switch over to OLG and make that side beyond belief.. depending on which way Tyler plays best we know that Kupes can do almost anything on the OLINE..

okay, fair enough. . . . :D

i gotta look out for my adoptee. . . .

Lonestar
12-02-2009, 12:03 AM
okay, fair enough. . . . :D

i gotta look out for my adoptee. . . .

I have a dream, of a day that all of our OLINE guys are bigger, stronger, faster and are atleast 305+ for center and 315-330 for each OG and 330+ for the OT's.. a day that will allow us to actually consistently score in the red zone running the ball.. thus opening up the passing lanes..

I have a Dream..

JDL
12-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Polombus was HORRIBLE. I know it is difficult for people to iso OL, but he struggled badly (his quintessential play being that sack on Simms that killed us in the San Diego game.) Running plays? I saw him numerous times be asked to pull and get out in space and not know what to do and he literally STOOD THERE watching the guy he should have been blocking tackle our RB. I was so frustrated with his play. This news is GREAT! He couldn't do anything more than straight ahead block. I hope we address our OT depth in the offseason because we clearly do not have any.

rcsodak
12-02-2009, 01:25 AM

Well, let's not forget that the 'roadgrader' of a TE, Daniel, was flagged 2x for holding. I know the 2nd one was as he was helping out Polumbus. Not sure of the 1st.