PDA

View Full Version : By the numbers, Broncos chasing only Chargers

Lonestar
12-01-2009, 06:32 PM
By The Denver Post
Posted: 12/01/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Chargers coach Norv Turner (Denver Post file photo)Five weeks remain in the NFL's regular season, but for Broncos fans, there are two schedules worth monitoring.

With the Kansas City Chiefs and Oakland Raiders out of the AFC West title picture, Denver can focus on overcoming a single team en route to an automatic playoff berth: the San Diego Chargers.

The Broncos stayed close in the AFC West race by defeating the New York Giants 26-6 in Denver on Thanksgiving. But the Chargers remained a game ahead in the division by routing Kansas City 43-14 on Sunday.

The Chargers, though, have a slight edge in the strength of remaining schedules. Their opponents are a combined 25-30 (.455 winning percentage). The Broncos' opponents are 27-28 (.491).

This weekend, the Broncos and Chargers play struggling teams on the road. San Diego travels to Cleveland to play the Browns (1-10). The Broncos go to Kansas City to play the Chiefs (3-8). The Chiefs usually provide a tough road game for Denver.

Denver and San Diego have tough road games in Week 14. The Chargers play the Dallas Cowboys (8-3), and the Broncos meet the Indianapolis Colts (11-0).

Week 15 is perhaps the Broncos' best chance at gaining ground on San Diego. That's when they host the Raiders (3-8), the same week San Diego plays the surging Cincinnati Bengals (8-3).

AFC WEST STANDINGS
With remaining schedule:

Team ... W ... L ... PF ... PA

SAN DIEGO ... 8 ... 3 ... 312 ... 219
Schedule: at Cleveland (1-10), at Dallas (8-3), Cincinnati (8-3), at Tennessee (5-6), Washington (3-8)
Remaining opponents' record: 25-30 (.455)

DENVER ... 7 ... 4 ... 196 ... 189
Schedule: at Kansas City (3-8), at Indianapolis (11-0), Oakland (3-8), at Philadelphia (7-4), Kansas City (3-8)
Remaining opponents' record: 27-28 (.491)

KANSAS CITY ... 3 ... 8 ... 183 ... 282

OAKLAND ... 3 ... 8 ... 115 ... 258

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13895575

pumpdoc
12-01-2009, 06:40 PM
I see us (the Chargers) beating Cinci at home I'm more worried about the Titans, but then again we are 9-0 under Turner in December.

Lonestar
12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I see us (the Chargers) beating Cinci at home I'm more worried about the Titans, but then again we are 9-0 under Turner in December.

norv is that old wild card sure enough..

underrated29
12-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I think we both go 3-2. Bolts should handle titans and lose to stripped cats.

But i wouldnt be surprised to see tenn pull the upset. But with that comes the annual faiders or chefs upset on us.

SD looks to have division yet again. But we should meet in playoffs--i hope.

sanluis
12-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I think we both go 3-2. Bolts should handle titans and lose to stripped cats.

But i wouldnt be surprised to see tenn pull the upset. But with that comes the annual faiders or chefs upset on us.

SD looks to have division yet again. But we should meet in playoffs--i hope.

3-2 is very real possibility for both of us. I think Denver will have trouble with the Colts and the Eagles. We will have trouble with the boys and the Bangles. The Titans look really good too. So the Division could come down to your KC game in kc and our game against Tenn.

Should be fun !! :beer:

weazel
12-02-2009, 12:35 PM
has anyone ever done a paint by numbers?

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Denver goes 5-0 while the chargers fall apart putting up a dismal 0-5, you heard it here first, folks.

:ridiculoushomer:

broncofaninfla
12-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm almost toying with the idea that we would be a more motivated team if we we able to win a wildcard slot over a division title. But with that being said, I'd still rather earn the AFC West title first.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
12-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I want us to win this division just to rub it in the Chargers' face, but honestly I think we'd do better without the bye. We've all seen what happens after our Broncos get a week off.

rcsodak
12-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I want us to win this division just to rub it in the Chargers' face, but honestly I think we'd do better without the bye. We've all seen what happens after our Broncos get a week off.

I think the lesson has been learned.

Plus, a midseason bye is WAY different than a bye leading into the playoffs.

BCJ
12-03-2009, 02:34 PM
If you look at the playoff standings as of today, Broncos are now #1 team for wild card. Last week, we were outside looking in but all other teams lost as we won. Looking just at the Chargers to get into the playoffs is not true. We do lose a tie breaker vs Ravens and Steelers. Sure, go after the division for the automatic berth, but if we keep winning and go at least 3-2 to end the year, I think that will get us into the playoffs.