PDA

View Full Version : Server outage was caused by network problem at datacenter

Tned-Mobile
11-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Over the last 90 minutes or so, BroncosForums.com has been unreachable. This was due to a network problem at the datacenter. I posted updates at status.broncosforums.com (http://status.broncosforums.com) as I received them, and you can always check there if you can't reach BroncosForums.com.

I am in contact with the datacenter trying to find out exactly what happened to their network.

Sorry for the downtime.

T

frauschieze
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the update, T.

Northman
11-30-2009, 06:02 PM
I thought i had been banned. lol

pnbronco
11-30-2009, 06:16 PM

:laugh: me too....thanks Tned for the update...

Tned
11-30-2009, 07:11 PM
You guys were banned for not showing Hillis the love he deserves.... ;)

pnbronco
11-30-2009, 07:25 PM
You guys were banned for not showing Hillis the love he deserves.... ;)

I figured it was something like that, thanks for the scare.....;)

elsid13
11-30-2009, 07:28 PM
This is all King and Buff fault for saying beer sucks. The Data Gods want them to repent.

Superchop 7
11-30-2009, 09:16 PM
I figured you had Simms at the helm.

TXBRONC
11-30-2009, 09:34 PM

Guilty conscience? :D

frauschieze
11-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Tned, am I imagining things or has this company been less reliable than the previous company?

Tned
11-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Tned, am I imagining things or has this company been less reliable than the previous company?

It's been about a year since we switched. At the end, the other one was much worse. That said, I am not happy with the outages this one has had. Most have been in the 10 minute range, with only a few in the last couple months that have been longer.

They are currently changing their infrastructure to bring on two new tier 1 providers (essentially, the providers that make up the internet backbone, of which there are a dozen or so).

They have said that the recent outages are related to the equipment changes they have made preparing for the new tier 1 providers, as well as at least one actual outage of a tier 1 provider.

I am definately not happy, but I don't want to overreact, because having read some of the horror stories from other dedicated server companies, things could be far worse.

Also, prior to today's outage, most of the other ones were regional, meaning some people couldn't access the site, but it was still accessible by others.

Here is a link to the monitoring stats:

http://www.hyperspin.com/publicreport/75451/31244

That site monitors BF from 12 different locations from around the globe, to eliminate false alarms or route specific outages.

Also, the "downtime since Jan '08" includes downtime when we moved servers, both from the old provider to the new, but also the new server early in the offseason (I usually forget to put the monitoring maint mode). It also includes some extended downtime before leaving the last provider around this time last year. Even with that, we are looking at about 1 day of downtime in two years, which like I said is way overstated.

All of that said, if things don't go back to near 100% stability, I will probably look for a new dedicated hosting company in the offseason. Overall, these guys have a great reputation, and these recent problems are considered very unusual, so I want to make sure it isn't a blip before reacting.

frauschieze
11-30-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't see a reason to react at all. I just didn't remember having as many problems before. But then, I, like most people, tend to glorify the past. :D

dogfish
12-01-2009, 12:06 AM
it could be worse-- the site could go down twelve times a month like the mane. . . .

BCJ
12-01-2009, 02:40 AM
I read that the servers went down after Jay Cutler's Cannon arm flung footballs at it to try to stop all the negative talk about him. The first 20 balls were missed but then he visioned the servers as safeties and CBs and started throwing off his back foot. Next 5 balls right on target and the Forum was down.