PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl XXXII: 10 years later

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2008, 01:15 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_8070868

When Tyrone Braxton looks at the New York Giants, he sees another team from another time and another town. A team that, despite all the odds stacked against it, and despite all the playoff road trips seemingly headed nowhere, found a way to win a Super Bowl.

"We got that confidence going on the road, just like the Giants have right now," Braxton said. "All we heard was, 'How can they stop that potent Green Bay offense? How can they stop that big defensive line?' But we knew we were going to win. We could smell it. I hate to say it because it's a cliche, but it was destiny. We were destined to win that game."

And, though Terrell Davis got to see only bits and pieces of it, they did. Ten years ago today, the Broncos beat the Packers in Super Bowl XXXII for their first championship. Then, just to show it was no accident, they won it again the next year.

But that was no match for Jan. 25, 1998, the day when all the sorrow drowned in laughter. That's when the quarterback who couldn't win the big one and the franchise not worthy of having a player elected to the Hall of Fame sent the pro football world spinning off its axis.

"When I look back, that was a special team," Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said. "There was a certain perseverance about that team. We won three games in a row on the road (in the playoffs). Not that Super Bowl XXXIII wasn't special, but we were expected to win in XXXIII. We weren't expected to win XXXII."

Said ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth, the '97 Broncos' starting left guard: "I remember how much freer and easier that Super Bowl seemed than any of the other ones I played in. We were seven-point favorites the next year. When that one was over, there was more a sense of relief. But when we won that first one, it was complete euphoria. It was the best feeling of my sports career."

There was a sense of apprehension, if not imminent doom, polluting the mile-high air in the days preceding the game. Understandably so. The Broncos had, after all, been blown out in three Super Bowls from 1986-89. And the Packers, coming off their victory over New England in Super Bowl XXXI, were 12-point favorites.

The Broncos had been underdogs almost a month earlier at Kansas City, but ground out a 14-10 victory that ended the Chiefs' season. And they were underdogs a week later in the AFC championship game at Pittsburgh.

Hey, stuff happens when you're desperately seeking redemption after the most embarrassing playoff loss in franchise history, the likes of which the Broncos experienced a year earlier against Jacksonville.

"It was absolutely devastating," former Broncos wide receiver Ed McCaffrey said. "One of my most vivid memories is the day after the game, when everyone reported to the facility. Half the players on the team were lifting weights in the weight room. It was almost as if they didn't know what else to do. That's the kind of determination that team had. We didn't feel sorry for ourselves. We regrouped and got ready for the next season."

Said Braxton: "Everybody tells me, 'You'd have won three in a row if you hadn't lost to Jacksonville.' I tell them, 'Shoot, that's the reason we won two in a row, because we lost to Jacksonville.' After that game, we were determined not to let anything stop us."

The back-to-back playoff victories at Kansas City and Pittsburgh came in cities where the Broncos had lost a few weeks earlier. After winning those games, the prospect of facing the Packers and three-time MVP Brett Favre in San Diego was anything but daunting.

"It's exactly what the Giants are going through now," said Schlereth. "We had a certain toughness, a certain calloused feeling. We were battle-tested, man. After winning at Kansas City and Pittsburgh, we were like, 'Throw it at us, bring it on.' We weren't going to be intimidated by anyone."

Proving everybody wrong

Behind closed doors and during the Broncos' practices, a groundswell of confidence was growing by the minute a decade ago.

"We knew if we went out there and patted (the Packers) on the back, everybody would buy into it," said former Broncos fullback Howard Griffith. " 'The Packers are the greatest thing since sliced bread. They have an unbelievable defensive line. There's no way Tony Jones is going to be able to handle Reggie White.' That's what made it so sweet, when we proved everybody wrong."

Bowlen remembers going to practice early in the week at the San Diego Chargers' facility. He planned to mill around and shout out encouragement to his players, but left after a few minutes.

"The attitude of the players was unbelievable," Bowlen said. "There was such a camaraderie. I remember thinking, 'I don't need to be out here.' So I went inside and worked out."

Camaraderie. Perseverance. Attitude. The '97 Broncos were a special mix, an eclectic bunch of savvy veterans and wide-eyed kids who came together for a common cause. For one magical year, all the stars and all the all-stars were aligned in Denver.

Seems the only trait that team didn't have was ego. In the players' parking lot, there were considerably more Harleys and pickups than Mercedes. In the locker room, Davis, who overcame a migraine and blurred vision to win the Super Bowl MVP award, often could be spotted wearing frayed boxer shorts. Even John Elway, the consummate superstar, didn't wear his stature on his sleeve. If anything, he had been humbled, having felt the sting of all three Super Bowl blowouts.

Elway gains redemption

It was hardly a surprise that the most famous play from Super Bowl XXXII turned out to be Elway's "helicopter" run, in which he was hit high, low and all points in between by three Packers defenders, only to hold on to the ball for a key third-down conversion. A tough play by a tough guy playing for a tough team.

Afterward, after John Mobley had knocked down Favre's desperation pass to seal the 31-24 victory, Bowlen stood on sacred ground, the podium reserved for the winning team, and proclaimed, "This one's for John!"

Bowlen had fretted all week over what to say if, as he suspected, the Broncos would pull off the upset.

"You always prepare yourself," he said. "As the owner, what do you say? I thought to myself, You know what? This team is different. I don't have to say much. This one's for John! Four words. That's all."

Not that it was really for John. Not in the Broncos' locker room anyway. In there, the players won it for each other.

For Elway, who passed the torch to Davis during the season, saying, "It's Terrell's team now." For Gary Zimmerman, the gritty left tackle who came out of retirement in September and played through pain that often forced him into bed at 5 p.m. For coach Mike Shanahan, who pushed all the right buttons. For Alfred Williams, who played in the Super Bowl despite two torn triceps.

For all of them, and for all the others. From the Pro Bowlers to the special teamers. From A (Allen Aldridge) through Z (Zimmerman). That's who the '97 Broncos played for.

"There wasn't anybody in the locker room saying 'This one's for John,' " said Williams. "That was Mr. Bowlen. There was no 'Rah, rah, let's get this thing done for John.' John wouldn't have wanted it that way, either. We were happy to win for each other."

BigDaddyBronco
01-25-2008, 01:22 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_8070868

Said ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth, the '97 Broncos' starting left guard: "I remember how much freer and easier that Super Bowl seemed than any of the other ones I played in. We were seven-point favorites the next year. When that one was over, there was more a sense of relief. But when we won that first one, it was complete euphoria. It was the best feeling of my sports career."

Mark, it was the best feeling of my sports life, to date. My wife says the only other time I have looked so happy is when my kids were born and when we were married.

C'mon, Broncos, let's do it again!

Cowboy
01-25-2008, 01:51 PM
it still brings a tear to my eyes

sneakers
01-26-2008, 08:50 AM
*sigh* The happiest day of my life was 10 years ago.

Bronco Bible
01-26-2008, 09:33 AM
I wished my father were alive to see it:first::bncry:

NightTrainLayne
01-26-2008, 12:05 PM
I had myself fully prepared for us to lose that day. After 4 SB losses, and the heart-wrenching loss to Jax the year before, I made sure I was ready for another tear-jerker.

I didn't let myself start to believe that we could win the game until the end of the 3rd quarter. I can remember turning to a buddy of mine who was watching the game with me and saying, "You know, I think we might be able to win this thing."

I was on cloud 9 for a month after that win. At the time I was in college, and one of my professors was a huge Raiturds fan. I wore broncos gear to class all the time, but after the win I made sure to bring the Broncos up every chance I got. . .luckily I still got an A in the class.

broncosfanscott
01-27-2008, 02:49 AM
I still remember the moment Mobley knocked down the final pass like it was yesterday.

tripleoption
01-27-2008, 10:17 AM
I was like some in that I was prepared for another loss. After the Packers scored their first touchdown, I was thinking here we go again. Then the Broncos went right down the field and Davis was running well, and I began to think maybe we had a chance. Then when Elway did his helicopter, I started yelling and I told the friend I was watching the game with that Elway wanted this game bad and that there was no way the Broncos were going to lose now. I still get pumped watching reruns of that game.

Watchthemiddle
01-28-2008, 01:28 AM
One of the best days of my life. :salute:

atwater27
01-28-2008, 02:50 AM
I had no idea I was capable of doing a backflip. Until Mobley knocked down that pass.

Psychotron
01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
That was a great day. The Giants do have a certain air of destiny about them...however, they are sure running their mouths. NFL Network showed Super Bowl XXXII a few weeks ago. I'm glad I recorded it...

NameUsedBefore
01-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Watched the special on it the other day (ESPN something). Favre imitating Elway's awkward gait was very amusing. And, of course, my favorite parts of those clips, "They aren't even good!" and Elway's helicopter dive.

mclark
01-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Watched the game last night on ESPN. Great to see again. What a game.

Cowboy
01-28-2008, 08:15 PM
*sigh* The happiest day of my life was 10 years ago.

Me too and then after the game got lucky for the first time in my life.

Hobe
01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
I haven't hooked up the VHS drive to the new HDTV, yet. It old technology, right? But now there you guys have gone on with your reminiscing and Cowboy and Sneakers sign all the place. Now I'm going to have hook the old VHS up, so I can watch that old Super Bowl XXXII tape again. And all you guys fault!

:rant:

Cowboy
01-28-2008, 10:44 PM
it was on espn 2 last night as one of the greatest games in history of the NFL

tubby
01-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Me too and then after the game got lucky for the first time in my life.

He finally said yes, huh?

:beer: