PDA

View Full Version : Poll on current state of Message Board - Read message before voting

Tned
01-25-2008, 08:20 AM
This is a poll to guage people's feeling on the general state of the message board.

No decisions will be made from this poll, but it will be used to guage what further discussions (split forums, rules changes {more or less restrictive}, etc.) is needed in Town Hall.

Jody
01-25-2008, 08:21 AM
This is a poll to guage people's feeling on the general state of the message board.

No decisions will be made from this poll, but it will be used to guage what further discussions (split forums, rules changes {more or less restrictive}, etc.) is needed in Town Hall.

Okay...where's the poll. Is this an Admin joke? :lol:

SR
01-25-2008, 08:23 AM
He's probably typing it up. The thread posts before the poll because he has to type up all the poll options.

Jody
01-25-2008, 08:26 AM
He's probably typing it up. The thread posts before the poll because he has to type up all the poll options.

I'll have to take the poll later then, as I'm off to work.
Good to see you SR...coming home soon...make sure to make it known. ;)
We can't have SR running loose on our streets and not be forwarned.:D

SR
01-25-2008, 08:35 AM
FYI, you can choose multiple options on the poll.

CoachChaz
01-25-2008, 08:42 AM
FYI, you can choose multiple options on the poll.

Teah...you may want to add that info at the top of the poll, tned

MOtorboat
01-25-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm fine with people expressing their sexuality. No where has it crossed the line that I can see. Certainly none of it has been a personal attack.

Fewer words should be censored.

I've made up my own opinion on the PG-13/R Forum, and I don't think it's a good idea. The board as a whole, imo, should be PG-13, because as far as I can tell, there's no one under 13 years old here.

CoachChaz
01-25-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm fine with people expressing their sexuality. No where has it crossed the line that I can see. Certainly none of it has been a personal attack.

Fewer words should be censored.

I've made up my own opinion on the PG-13/R Forum, and I don't think it's a good idea. The board as a whole, imo, should be PG-13, because as far as I can tell, there's no one under 13 years old here.

I'll agree with you MO in the sense that PG-13 is completely up for interpretation. A few hidden curse words is one thing...then you have the stuff that me, Beef, Frau, etc. have fun joking about. I think if you created our own little slum in this village, the Bible thumpers wouldn't have to cross the tracks on our side of town and could continue to live in 1950

BigDaddyBronco
01-25-2008, 09:43 AM
I'll agree with you MO in the sense that PG-13 is completely up for interpretation. A few hidden curse words is one thing...then you have the stuff that me, Beef, Frau, etc. have fun joking about. I think if you created our own little slum in this village, the Bible thumpers wouldn't have to cross the tracks on our side of town and could continue to live in 1950

I agree. I obviously don't have a problem with any of it, but if you have threads about classic cars or tennis it probably shouldn't turn into a discussion about Coaches hoes or beef's sexual tendencies, etc. That way if someone isn't interested in that sort of back and forth banter they don't have to read through 30 posts to find the ones about cars.
Just my honest opinion. Not that I'm not guilty of hijacking threads or anything. :D

CoachChaz
01-25-2008, 09:48 AM
I agree. I obviously don't have a problem with any of it, but if you have threads about classic cars or tennis it probably shouldn't turn into a discussion about Coaches hoes or beef's sexual tendencies, etc. That way if someone isn't interested in that sort of back and forth banter they don't have to read through 30 posts to find the ones about cars.
Just my honest opinion. Not that I'm not guilty of hijacking threads or anything. :D

I won't disagree with you at all. I am very guilty of throwing out an innuendo here and there. However...I don't think I "force" the people involved to continue the banter as long as it goes on.

Buff
01-25-2008, 09:53 AM
More freedom=

I'm ok with the current level of sexually oriented comments, I think fewer words should be censored, I'm in favor of a PG-13/R section, although I'd prefer that sort of thing allowed everywhere.

CoachChaz
01-25-2008, 09:58 AM
More freedom=

I'm ok with the current level of sexually oriented comments, I think fewer words should be censored, I'm in favor of a PG-13/R section, although I'd prefer that sort of thing allowed everywhere.

Many of us would...but if getting one thread to be ourselves is where it starts...I'm happy with that for now.

Ya know...the most interesting thing to me about all this is typically...women are more offended by this talk than anyone...and yet, the women here engage in this type of conversation and the men are the uptight ones.

BigDaddyBronco
01-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Many of us would...but if getting one thread to be ourselves is where it starts...I'm happy with that for now.

Ya know...the most interesting thing to me about all this is typically...women are more offended by this talk than anyone...and yet, the women here engage in this type of conversation and the men are the uptight ones.
Yea that is a little strange. Maybe the women who come to a predominately male message board (about a sports team) are more likely to hang out with the guys and enjoy the banter that most male friends have. Maybe? I don't know. :confused:

CoachChaz
01-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Yea that is a little strange. Maybe the women who come to a predominately male message board (about a sports team) are more likely to hang out with the guys and enjoy the banter that most male friends have. Maybe? I don't know. :confused:

I'm not going to try to analyze it...I'll just enjoy it.

Dreadnought
01-25-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't know. It seems to me that some threads need more freedom, others not so much. I can't freely express my feelings about Phillip Rivers or the Raiders without getting a bit, shall we say, blunt. Duck Before Entering ought to be almost a "free Fire" zone. Same w/ most threads like whats on your mind or I'm drunk and bored... P+R pretty much the same. The Serious Football side of the House should be pretty much clear of anything but serious football talk - once next Season actually starts I'm not going to want to wade through a load of unrelated stuff there.

It ought to be pretty self evident what goes where I guess.

CoachChaz
01-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Based on the current numbers, it looks like an Adult Thread may be what's needed.

Tned
01-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Teah...you may want to add that info at the top of the poll, tned

I modified the question to add choose all that apply. I thought that would be be self explanatory due to the check boxes rather than radio button.

If many people didn't realize that and only chose one option, let me know, because I will need to reset the poll.

Bronco9798
01-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Change is good, but too many changes can be bad. I would say leave everything as it is today, including without Jwalk. This is a fine board here, don't blow it.......

SR
01-26-2008, 08:22 AM
I would say leave everything as it is today, including without Jwalk.

I concur.

One thing I would change though is centering the banner on the top of the page and maybe creating a cutoff so that when you scroll down the Broncos Forums banner stays at the top. Just a suggestion.

Jody
01-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Change is good, but too many changes can be bad. I would say leave everything as it is today, including without Jwalk. This is a fine board here, don't blow it.......

I was nervous about 4 am. Tned was changing everything. Some changes were a little scary (on the edge). An artistic maniac drinking wine.;)

SeeingRed....I won! Ha.:D

SR
01-26-2008, 08:59 AM

You didn't win anything. You're fired.

Tned
01-26-2008, 10:16 AM
I was nervous about 4 am. Tned was changing everything. Some changes were a little scary (on the edge). An artistic maniac drinking wine.;)

You didn't win anything. You're fired.

How are you guys up? SR, I get the other time zone, but wasn't Jody up at the same time as me? One of my dogs woke me up, I'm going back to bed in 5.

As to banner, how about we leave it as is (after a big :salute: to read) and then maybe tomorrow I will center it and then try and get a feel what people like better.

Tned
01-26-2008, 10:30 AM

Yes, I tend to agree. Then again, people that come on today are being greated to a new home page, new banner and updated/modified color scheme :D

All of these over night changes can be reverted, if we find most people don't like them.

Anyway, on to the real change you are talking about. I tend to agree, that change in general should be slow and steady, and that we are as sure as possible.

I would like to get another 50 or so people to respond to the poll, which should give us a pretty good representation of our highly active people (active as in logging in every day).

Right now, I am leaning towards Coach's idea of a beta on the seperate room. We have a significant enough percentage that don't like the current state of the language/sexual language that exists, and a majority that wants a seperate room. I think something will need to be done there.

After I go back to bed and get some more sleep, I am going to revisit the rules, and see if I can shorten and clarify them substantially, going with the through process that people are breaking them because a. they don't understand them, b. they are two long to read in one sitting.

Bronco9798
01-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Thew new scheme is dandy!! You do great work Tred. If we were gay, I would marry you and let you design the bedroom.

slim
01-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Based on the current numbers, it looks like an Adult Thread may be what's needed.

:confused:

I would read the numbers differently. If you look at just the first two items, the vast majority are comfortable with the way things are now. A total of 46 people have voted on those first two items and ~72% are fine with the way things are.

frauschieze
01-26-2008, 01:45 PM

I would read the numbers differently. If you look at just the first two items, the vast majority are comfortable with the way things are now. A total of 46 people have voted on those first two items and ~72% are fine with the way things are.

Ever think that maybe the numbers have changed since his post?

Silly accountant.

slim
01-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Ever think that maybe the numbers have changed since his post?

Silly accountant.

They have been roughly the same (percentage) since the poll was put up. :elefant:

frauschieze
01-26-2008, 01:51 PM
They have been roughly the same (percentage) since the poll was put up. :elefant:

:coffee: Coach just wants his playground.

slim
01-26-2008, 01:53 PM
:coffee: Coach just wants his playground.

I know...but I like busting his chops :elefant:

shank
01-26-2008, 02:05 PM
i am completely comfortable with the current level of language allowed, as i am not an easy cat to offend... i said that i feel we should have less words censored, if only so i don't have to see **** vermeil ever again. i wouldn't be against editing posts that use words in ways that ARE offensive at you mod's discretion.

i would be in favor of a thread aimed more at risque banter as it is definitely fun to many of us to talk about socially unacceptable stuff (i know me and my friends always do haha). maybe you could call the thread 'Faux Pas' lol

just like the P & R thread, it would be good to have a place that people can either go to or avoid for these kind of juvenile exchanges:salute:

p.s. the fact that this is a poll is freaking amazing to me. tned we bow to you:beer:

Rex
01-26-2008, 03:09 PM
tned, your forum is great.

slim
01-26-2008, 03:11 PM
tned, your forum is great.

I second that....

Tned
01-26-2008, 03:57 PM

It's a tough call. nearly a third of the users not being comfortable with the current level of language, especially considering a lot of that third is probably the older members (pre invasion of Dec 2006 ;)), that number can't be shaken off too quickly.

Also, last time I checked (have the post window open now, so am not looking at the numbers), over half thought we should have an adult forum to confine the stuff to.

i am completely comfortable with the current level of language allowed, as i am not an easy cat to offend... i said that i feel we should have less words censored, if only so i don't have to see **** vermeil ever again. i wouldn't be against editing posts that use words in ways that ARE offensive at you mod's discretion.

I thought the Dick Vermeil thing was fixed about a week or two ago, I will see when this is posted whether or not that is the case. If Dick was **** out, then I will remove it from the filter, but I think we did that at least a week ago, and reverted to having the mods remove it if it was being used other than as a persons name (Dick Morris, Dick Vermiel).

p.s. the fact that this is a poll is freaking amazing to me. tned we bow to you:beer:

Just to be clear, this is a poll to guage where people think things stand. As I have said before, I don't believe in making a decision just based on a poll, because you have to look at the lesser of two evils.

If 30% feel there is too much explicit language, there is a good chancet hat 30% is very offended by it.

Where as the 70% that say it is fine, will be irritated if they are forced to reign things in or confine it to a single thread/forum, but the level of discomfort they will feel will likely be far less than those that oppose it.

That's why the poll is simply a guage, and you guys need to help me spread the word, as I would like to have at least 100 votes in this boll, as we have around 160+ people log in every day.

slim
01-26-2008, 04:01 PM
It's a tough call. nearly a third of the users not being comfortable with the current level of language, especially considering a lot of that third is probably the older members (pre invasion of Dec 2006 ;)), that number can't be shaken off too quickly.

Also, last time I checked (have the post window open now, so am not looking at the numbers), over half thought we should have an adult forum to confine the stuff to.

I thought the Dick Vermeil thing was fixed about a week or two ago, I will see when this is posted whether or not that is the case. If Dick was **** out, then I will remove it from the filter, but I think we did that at least a week ago, and reverted to having the mods remove it if it was being used other than as a persons name (Dick Morris, Dick Vermiel).

Just to be clear, this is a poll to guage where people think things stand. As I have said before, I don't believe in making a decision just based on a poll, because you have to look at the lesser of two evils.

If 30% feel there is too much explicit language, there is a good chancet hat 30% is very offended by it.

Where as the 70% that say it is fine, will be irritated if they are forced to reign things in or confine it to a single thread/forum, but the level of discomfort they will feel will likely be far less than those that oppose it.

That's why the poll is simply a guage, and you guys need to help me spread the word, as I would like to have at least 100 votes in this boll, as we have around 160+ people log in every day.

You forgot Dick Trickle (that's my all-time favorite name) ;)

shank
01-26-2008, 04:10 PM
sorry, didn't know that got changed :lol:

and yes, dick trickle is a shining example of parents who hate babies...

Ricky
01-26-2008, 06:18 PM
I love the new front page and that banner is nice. Who gets created for it?

Bronco9798
01-26-2008, 06:44 PM
I love the new front page and that banner is nice. Who gets created for it?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tned
01-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Based on the responses and the poll results, this is what I think I am going to do in the short term. I still would like to see at least 20 new votes, and will let things run for a little longer.

Changes being considered:

Remove a few words from the censor that are regularly used on network TV, like b!tch, wh@re, b@stard and $lut. The moderators would be responsible for making sure they weren't used in violation of forum rules.

Ask the moderators to strictly enforce the circumvention of language filter, such as when people type f*** or sh!t, or any other tricks to circumvent the language filter.

Either designate threads or create a forum (still weighing pros and cons), where jokes and other dialog of a more risque nature can take place. This would still not allow nudity, and would only be extended to what dialog might be allowed in PG-13 or possibly R movies. A better way to look at it is the main forum would only allow what you see/here on primetime network TV, while the new forum would allow what you see on cable (HBO, Showtime, etc.). So, instead of Two and a half men and desperate housewives as the benchmark for being allowed, it would be Sopranos, Oz, Californication and shows of that nature.

Require, and Ask the moderators to enforce, members to keep the other forums, outside of the newly created one, G/PG and keep the sexual jokes or other things that people might not want their kids, spouses or coworkers seeing on a screen if they were sitting next to them.

Nothing is final, but that is what I am considering. Any feedback on the above proposal is welcome.

CoachChaz
01-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Question. The first option in the poll reads "I like/am comfortable with the level of sexually oriented comments currently being used"

Does that mean currently based on the way things have been going with some of us perverts or should it really read "I like/am comfortable with the level of sexually oriented comments currently being allowed"

Maybe the question is a bit vague...maybe it's just me

Tned
01-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Question. The first option in the poll reads "I like/am comfortable with the level of sexually oriented comments currently being used"

Does that mean currently based on the way things have been going with some of us perverts or should it really read "I like/am comfortable with the level of sexually oriented comments currently being allowed"

Maybe the question is a bit vague...maybe it's just me

It is meant to ask whether or not people are comfortable with what is being posted, some of which is very questionable as to whether or not it falls within the rules.

CoachChaz
01-28-2008, 08:08 AM
It is meant to ask whether or not people are comfortable with what is being posted, some of which is very questionable as to whether or not it falls within the rules.

That's the way I took it, but based on the number of complaints on my posts alone, have to think that alot of people are assuming this refers to being comfortable with what is allowed right now. Maybe not, but it seems weird.

Like I sai, I would beta test and adult thread and see how it goes. If it entertains the people taking in part in it and cuts down on the amount of people that are insulted outside of it, then to me...it serves it's purpose.

broncosfanscott
01-28-2008, 09:46 PM
I am pretty satisfied with what has been allowed and have never really had any complaints about posts regarding anything sexually. However, I agree that a PG-13/R thread/forum would eliminate any concerns over this topic.

OB
01-29-2008, 01:24 AM
tned - i say screw em all and just do what i tell you to :D

Seriously - you cant please all the people all the time - youre doing a great job :2thumbs:

OB
01-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Based on the responses and the poll results, this is what I think I am going to do in the short term. I still would like to see at least 20 new votes, and will let things run for a little longer.

Remove a few words from the censor that are regularly used on network TV, like b!tch, wh@re, b@stard and $lut. The moderators would be responsible for making sure they weren't used in violation of forum rules.

Ask the moderators to strictly enforce the circumvention of language filter, such as when people type f*** or sh!t, or any other tricks to circumvent the language filter.

Either designate threads or create a forum (still weighing pros and cons), where jokes and other dialog of a more risque nature can take place. This would still not allow nudity, and would only be extended to what dialog might be allowed in PG-13 or possibly R movies. A better way to look at it is the main forum would only allow what you see/here on primetime network TV, while the new forum would allow what you see on cable (HBO, Showtime, etc.). So, instead of Two and a half men and desperate housewives as the benchmark for being allowed, it would be Sopranos, Oz, Californication and shows of that nature.

Require, and Ask the moderators to enforce, members to keep the other forums, outside of the newly created one, G/PG and keep the sexual jokes or other things that people might not want their kids, spouses or coworkers seeing on a screen if they were sitting next to them.

Nothing is final, but that is what I am considering. Any feedback on the above proposal is welcome.

1. Yes

2. :whistle:

3. :woot:

4. Yes

dogfish
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM

that pretty much sounds excellent. . . .

Jody
01-29-2008, 09:44 PM
It will be good to have this resolved.

And then I will try to think of something else to complain about ASAP.

It's my duty. ;)

Watchthemiddle
01-29-2008, 09:45 PM
It will be good to have this resolved.

And then I will try to think of something else to complain about ASAP.

It's my duty. ;)

Women..:rolleyes:

Jody
01-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Women..:rolleyes:

I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

Tned
02-01-2008, 08:39 AM
http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=122564&posted=1#post122564