PDA

View Full Version : Williams Turning Heads at Senior Bowl

Skinny
01-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Interesting Prospect ...
All-SEC performer prepares for the NFL Draft.

Jan. 23, 2008

MOBILE, Ala. - Nearly an hour after the initial Senior Bowl practice concluded, former Vanderbilt offensive tackle Chris Williams was still dressed, spending time getting to know several National Football League general managers, pro scouts and draft insiders.

Every player invited to the prestigious Senior Bowl, slated this Saturday at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, longs for the one-on-one, post-practice opportunities. From the players' prospective, it's a rare chance to impress and build relationships with key NFL Draft decision makers. If team officials are wanting to talk, it's a clear sign of interest.

Williams, a graduate of Catholic High School in Baton Rouge, La., who came to Vanderbilt as an unsung prospect five years ago, is creating plenty of interest.

Williams, an All-Southeastern Conference performer this season, has been one of the Senior Bowl's most watched prospects since measuring in at a shade over 6'6" and 320 pounds. Generating interest much as former Commodore quarterback Jay Cutler did at practices leading to the 2006 Senior Bowl, Williams has helped himself immensely in the eyes of most keen draft observers.

Reached by telephone Tuesday, well-known ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said Williams has helped himself at the practices, displaying excellent abilities and techniques to go with ideal NFL offensive line size.

"He's done nothing to hurt himself, and probably even strengthened his status," Kiper said. "I've got Chris going 19th to the Eagles (in updated draft projection) and I can see him moving up from there."

One draft-oriented website, ProFootballWeekly.com, profiled Williams as its featured player in Wednesday editions. Another well-respected observer, Frank Coyle of www.draftinsiders.com, has been impressed. In a front-page column, Coyle offered the following praise after Tuesday's practice: "Chris Williams of Vanderbilt had a fine practice. He is a massive athlete with footwork, technique and great power. He comes off the ball with a strong punch and fine functional strength to get a consistently good push at the line of scrimmage." ESPN.com's insider site devoted to Senior Bowl coverage called Williams "probably the top offensive line prospect on this (South) squad. Williams had a very good practice, however, and stays square to his target with excellent lateral agility. He has the light feet and natural knee bend to adjust and recover when beaten."

Williams is hoping to become the second Vanderbilt player in the last two years chosen in the first round of the NFL draft, following Cutler's No. 11 selection by Denver in 2006. Cutler just completed his first full year as a starter at quarterback for the Broncos, finishing as the AFC's fifth-ranked passer.

If Williams continues to impress the rest of this week and at the upcoming NFL Combine, he could also become just the second Vanderbilt offensive lineman ever selected in the opening round. Will Wolford, a 1986 graduate, was selected 20th overall by Buffalo, and went on to a distinguished 12-year career with the Bills, Indianapolis Colts and Pittsburgh Steelers.

Vanderbilt OLT Chris Williams
Ht: 6-6 1/8; Wt: 320; 40-time: 5.1 (est.)
Arms: 32 7/8 in.; Hands: 9 7/8 in.

Upside: Very naturally athletic mover. Plays with great balance and is rarely on the ground. Shows the ability to recover when he gets out of position. Can slide, mirror and shadow defenders in pass protection. Shows the agility to cut off the wide rush and adjust to sudden, inside counter moves. Shows solid anchor strength to hold his ground and the agility to run pass rushers wide of the pocket. Matched up very favorably with Florida DE Derrick Harvey and showed he could handle edge speed. Good pass sets. Shows spurts of aggressiveness. Very smart. Voted team captain.

Downside: Wish he played with more vinegar. Can be late off the ball and does not look to drive defenders into the ground. Uses too much finesse. Takes some questionable angles. Not a great finisher — too often stops working before the whistle. Does not play with power. Average arm length. Too often carries his hands low and lacks pop in his punch. Gets out to the second level too quickly and will overrun his target. Plays down to the level of competition and needs to be challenged. Not self-motivated.

The way we see it: A much better pass protector than run blocker, Williams has all the athletic ability needed to protect the blind side. He has quick feet, agility and balance and could start 10 years in the league at left tackle. However, he can be frustrating to watch in the run game. Technique (hands, punch, footwork) will need some refinement, but he should be able to step into a starting lineup readily. Stock will ascend as the draft draws nearer and NFL coaches see his raw tools.

http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012308aab.html

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Senior+Bowl/2007/rock012308.htm

dogfish
01-25-2008, 03:54 PM
i think williams has orlando pace type potential. . . i was really hoping he might fall to us in the 2nd, but that's sounding less and less likely. . . with him and cherilus seeming to improve their stock, i'm wondering if otah may fall a little. . . i'd say baker is definitely losing some ground, but he's not high on my wish list anyways. . .

BOSSHOGG30
01-25-2008, 04:00 PM
If I had to rank the Tackles at the Senior Bowl... Williams wouldn't even be a top 5. JMO

dogfish
01-25-2008, 04:05 PM
If I had to rank the Tackles at the Senior Bowl... Williams wouldn't even be a top 5. JMO

based on performance, or potential? and who do you have ahead of him?

BOSSHOGG30
01-25-2008, 04:14 PM
based on performance, or potential? and who do you have ahead of him?

Based on performance. I think he has potential and I don't think he is bad, but there are some good offensive tackles in this draft. I can't say enough about the way the top 3 guys on my list are playing right now.

1) Gosder Cherilus is my #1... he is tearing it up.

2) Carl Nicks... I wasn't high on him in college, but he is tearing it up against good compitition.

3) Heath Benedict

4) Sam Baker

5) Oniel Cousins

6) Barry Richardson

7) Chris Williams

CoachChaz
01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Based on performance. I think he has potential and I don't think he is bad, but there are some good offensive tackles in this draft. I can't say enough about the way the top 3 guys on my list are playing right now.

1) Gosder Cherilus is my #1... he is tearing it up.

2) Carl Nicks... I wasn't high on him in college, but he is tearing it up against good compitition.

3) Heath Benedict

4) Sam Baker

5) Oniel Cousins

6) Barry Richardson

7) Chris Williams

Interesting. Any insiders I know have pretty much all said that Benedict hasn't shown anything. Just talked to a friend of mine that scouts for the Giants today and he backed that up.

dogfish
01-25-2008, 04:24 PM
i'd heard that cousins was playing some tackle there, although he was initially projected as a guard-- it'll be interesting to see where he ends up in the pros. . . love what i've been hearing about nicks and cherilus. . . which side do they have nicks playing on?

ultimately, i'm just happy to see so much talent at a position that i myself think is possibly our biggest need (it's a dead heat with DT, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes we'll go after corey williams, freeing us up to go OT and RB/LB if we keep our current two 1st day picks). . . with OT being such an important position, i'm sure we'll see these guys flying off the board on draft day, but with this much talent it's almost inevitable that a good prospect or two is going to slip through the cracks a little-- all the better for us, and it seems to me that we might be able to trade down a ways in the 1st (if we get any offers) and still grab a quality OT. . .

BOSSHOGG30
01-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Interesting. Any insiders I know have pretty much all said that Benedict hasn't shown anything. Just talked to a friend of mine that scouts for the Giants today and he backed that up.

I'm far from being a professional scout... you guys would know better than me... these are just my personal opinions. Benedict is a huge man. I am very impressed with his speed for such a big guy, he has pretty quick feet too. The only thing that concerned me was his technique, but that can be learned and taught. He does need some coaching. But you can't teach speed, strength, and a mean streak.

Skinny
01-25-2008, 05:17 PM
I prefer Gosder because i think he is better in 'run' and does'nt give up much ground to Williams in 'Pass Protection'.

It will be interesting to see where these two stand after the Combine and see just how far they raise their stock... if they rise ...

dogfish
01-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I prefer Gosder because i think he is better in 'run' and does'nt give up much ground to Williams in 'Pass Protection'.

It will be interesting to see where these two stand after the Combine and see just how far they raise their stock... if they rise ...

i would pretty much agree with that-- the only thing i like better about williams is that he projects as a left tackle. . . not that i would at all mind getting a bad ass mauler at ORT-- i think we need serious help at both spots-- but it would be nice to take care of the most important position on the line while we're actually picking in the top half of each round for a change. . . i have to admit, i feel extremely uneasy about the prospect of harris protecting cutler's blind side, and with his injury history i hate the thought of relying on him too much-- back problems can be a real issue for guys that size, and i don't want to be like the G-Men with luke petigout, where he misses half of every season and leaves you with a scrub backup protecting your franchise player's blind side. . .

of course, having a rookie over there is also a calculated risk-- i wish lepsis would have taken a pay cut and come back for one more year just to give us a veteran option at the position, but oh well. . . . i feel better with pears at ORT for another year than harris at OLT, but it is what it is. . .

at this point i'd take cherilus over williams, but ultimately i'll be pretty pleased with almost any of the top tackle prospects-- at least it would give us some legitimate talent to work with at one of the spots that needs an upgrade the most. . .

Requiem / The Dagda
01-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Well, Gosder is a RT, he should be better run blocking whereas Williams is a LT; and should be much better as a pass protector.

Gosder will be an awesome RT; I don't think he plays LT in the NFL.

dogfish
01-28-2008, 09:56 PM
here's a brief highlight of cherilus from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=E15815A86EBDB9DFA20622CDA75D7245 ?videoId=09000d5d80627724