PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Josh McDaniels tells his side of the story

Italianmobstr7
11-29-2009, 01:10 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4697154

McDaniels says Phillips partly to blame
By Chris Mortensen and Ed Werder
ESPN
Apologetic for two recently publicized incidents, Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels nevertheless wants to set the record straight -- he's not a trash-talking renegade.

Specifically, McDaniels clarified an alleged incident with San Diego Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips during last Sunday's pregame warm-ups in which Phillips claimed the Broncos coach boasted, "We own you" before the Chargers delivered a 32-3 lashing of their AFC West rival in Denver.

"I was two or three steps out of the tunnel when Shaun Phillips raced up to me with his helmet off and said, 'I'll kick your [expletive] ass, too,' " explained McDaniels. "I'm not saying I felt physically threatened but that's exactly the way it went down. It surprised me in a way but we played them a lot when I was in New England and he's always been that kind of guy.

"I wasn't out there trash-talking their players, going through their drills. This guy has been doing this since I've been in the league and, because they won, he takes the liberty of telling his side of the story. I didn't swear at him or threaten him. What I actually said was, 'I've heard the same thing from you for four or five years now, and when I was in New England, we owned you.'"

The Broncos coach added, "Now, I'll apologize for that but it was nothing like [Phillips] portrayed."

McDaniels indicated the Broncos have asked the league to investigate the incident that preceded the Chargers' decisive victory on Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello previously had said the league was not reviewing the event.

"I don't think [Chargers coach] Norv Turner knows what happened and I know he wouldn't approve of it," said McDaniels. "If one of my players ever did that, I'd be livid. I think any coach would be."

Chargers spokesman Bill Johnston said the team was unaware of the allegation that Phillips charged McDaniels in a confrontational manner.

"We've moved on and we're not going to lower ourselves by responding," said Johnston.

McDaniels said he was reluctant to issue an immediate detailed public response to Phillips' version in part because the Broncos had a short week to prepare for Thursday night's win over the New York Giants. During that NFL Network Thanksgiving national telecast, McDaniels was seen and heard cussing at his team in the bench area in what turned out to be an in-game taped segment.

"I'm not going to apologize for coaching the game but I apologize that people had to hear that," McDaniels said.

"These two things happened four days apart and people have asked me about it. I'm hearing that I'm being called a renegade coach and that I'm always trying to stir things up and [media] are asking questions based on erroneous information. I even read where [Steelers safety] Ryan Clark wanted the commissioner to do something about a coach taunting players. I have a lot of respect for Ryan Clark and that bothers me.

"I'm not trying to exacerbate the situation by talking about it but if somebody is going to make a judgment about me, I'd appreciate it if they had all the facts and properly report it."

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN. Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.

shank
11-29-2009, 01:15 AM
:unsurprised:

topscribe
11-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Chargers spokesman Bill Johnston: "We've moved on and we're not going to lower ourselves by responding."

Good move. I don't know how that organization could get any lower, outside of becoming the Raiders, of course . . .

-----

Shazam!
11-29-2009, 01:49 AM
I like it that he curses at the players. Reminds me of me cursing at the players through my TV.

Timmy!
11-29-2009, 02:02 AM
I really REALLY hope we get a 3rd game with those little bitches in January.

Shazam!
11-29-2009, 02:27 AM
I said that in 1993 against the Raiders... sigh

GEM
11-29-2009, 10:21 AM
For Shaun "big mouth" Phillips to say that, then go into the media and hype it that McDaniels just out of nowhere scream "We Own You" just shows the type of man that guy is. I mean, I've heard of useless ******** and he resides at about the top of that list now. Asking why a coach would do something like that....well, the better question is...why would a player go over and threaten a coach? Seriously, what is McD 5'11 150 soaking wet? Hard to tell weight with the hoodies. :lol: Of course San Diego wants to push it under the rug and move on...they better put a leash on that bitch first.

GEM
11-29-2009, 10:23 AM
To finish it....I don't wish injury on anyone, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if that guy took a huge hit to the mouth. Swell that big mouth shut.

Stay classy, SD. :salute:

rcsodak
11-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Rivers and Phillips sitting in a tree......

:coffee:

Superchop 7
11-29-2009, 11:38 AM
San Diego has been carrying themselves "this way" for awhile now.

Why the league allows them to act like morons is beyond me.

IMO, the guy needs to sit for a game.

What he told the media was a complete spin job.

Keep your soap opera crap to yourself, moron.

By the end of the week, McDaniels "will" own you on this one.

I'm here to watch football, go way moron.

camdisco24
11-29-2009, 11:47 AM
:ihatethechargers:

I should've guessed there was more to this story...
Oh well, back to Football!

Northman
11-29-2009, 11:56 AM
No surprise here, Phillips was a major instigator in the Cutler fiasco which im fine with. Players talk trash all the time but if Phillips is somehow trying to say that McD is the instigator im going to say nay. Ive seen and read enough on Phillips to know what he is all about.

Poet
11-29-2009, 05:08 PM
McDaniels still should have ignored it, but I've seen McDaniels handle a lot of bigger issues than this under the face of duress just fine. Phillips constantly pops off at the mouth and the San Diego swagger is tiresome. Tomlinson is one of the best RBs the game has seen and the only shots he ever took were at the cheating Patriots. I wish SD had more guys like him.

Northman
11-29-2009, 05:33 PM
McDaniels still should have ignored it, but I've seen McDaniels handle a lot of bigger issues than this under the face of duress just fine. Phillips constantly pops off at the mouth and the San Diego swagger is tiresome. Tomlinson is one of the best RBs the game has seen and the only shots he ever took were at the cheating Patriots. I wish SD had more guys like him.

Unfortuantely even LT should of kept his mouth shut. Either that or tell his own boyz to shut the hell up so that the other team doesnt have writing board material to use against them. The chokejob that the Dolts did against the Pats in which LT was miffed at the end was a direct result of Phillips and company spouting off at the mouth.

threefolddead
11-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Imagine a world where people thought about BOTH sides of the story before freakin out and pointing fingers! Man wouldn't that be grand.

Poet
11-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Unfortuantely even LT should of kept his mouth shut. Either that or tell his own boyz to shut the hell up so that the other team doesnt have writing board material to use against them. The chokejob that the Dolts did against the Pats in which LT was miffed at the end was a direct result of Phillips and company spouting off at the mouth.

Yeah but LT didn't have anything to say to them, he just walked away. They literally (the Patriots) ran up to him and surronded him and mocked him and then they put out their hands after some of them had done the stupid Light's Out dance. I can point to any team, including the Colts and show you a few guys who popped off at the mouth. What kills me about the Chargers is that they haven't done anything. I know what you're saying, if LT could somehow get Merriman to stop being a douche, get Phillips and Castillo to shutup and get his quarterback to stop mocking fans it'd be great.

The ironic thing is that LT is a much greater RB than Castillo, Phillips or Merriman are or ever will be at LBs. The same thing goes for Gates as a TE and those guys. The Chargers were never a great team, they were a great amalgamation of talented players.

That's why I won't root for them.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Chargers spokesman Bill Johnston: "We've moved on and we're not going to lower ourselves by responding."

Good move. I don't know how that organization could get any lower, outside of becoming the Raiders, of course . . .

-----

Exactly my thoughts - the reason they are not going to lower themselves by responding, is because they are as low as they can get -

weazel
11-29-2009, 11:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4697154

McDaniels says Phillips partly to blame
By Chris Mortensen and Ed Werder
ESPN
Apologetic for two recently publicized incidents, Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels nevertheless wants to set the record straight -- he's not a trash-talking renegade.

Specifically, McDaniels clarified an alleged incident with San Diego Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips during last Sunday's pregame warm-ups in which Phillips claimed the Broncos coach boasted, "We own you" before the Chargers delivered a 32-3 lashing of their AFC West rival in Denver.

"I was two or three steps out of the tunnel when Shaun Phillips raced up to me with his helmet off and said, 'I'll kick your [expletive] ass, too,' " explained McDaniels. "I'm not saying I felt physically threatened but that's exactly the way it went down. It surprised me in a way but we played them a lot when I was in New England and he's always been that kind of guy.

"I wasn't out there trash-talking their players, going through their drills. This guy has been doing this since I've been in the league and, because they won, he takes the liberty of telling his side of the story. I didn't swear at him or threaten him. What I actually said was, 'I've heard the same thing from you for four or five years now, and when I was in New England, we owned you.'"

The Broncos coach added, "Now, I'll apologize for that but it was nothing like [Phillips] portrayed."

McDaniels indicated the Broncos have asked the league to investigate the incident that preceded the Chargers' decisive victory on Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello previously had said the league was not reviewing the event.

"I don't think [Chargers coach] Norv Turner knows what happened and I know he wouldn't approve of it," said McDaniels. "If one of my players ever did that, I'd be livid. I think any coach would be."

Chargers spokesman Bill Johnston said the team was unaware of the allegation that Phillips charged McDaniels in a confrontational manner.

"We've moved on and we're not going to lower ourselves by responding," said Johnston.

McDaniels said he was reluctant to issue an immediate detailed public response to Phillips' version in part because the Broncos had a short week to prepare for Thursday night's win over the New York Giants. During that NFL Network Thanksgiving national telecast, McDaniels was seen and heard cussing at his team in the bench area in what turned out to be an in-game taped segment.

"I'm not going to apologize for coaching the game but I apologize that people had to hear that," McDaniels said.

"These two things happened four days apart and people have asked me about it. I'm hearing that I'm being called a renegade coach and that I'm always trying to stir things up and [media] are asking questions based on erroneous information. I even read where [Steelers safety] Ryan Clark wanted the commissioner to do something about a coach taunting players. I have a lot of respect for Ryan Clark and that bothers me.

"I'm not trying to exacerbate the situation by talking about it but if somebody is going to make a judgment about me, I'd appreciate it if they had all the facts and properly report it."

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN. Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.

LOL... I stand by my remarks in the other thread about this. This league is full of scumbags, McD just took one out to the trash.

rcsodak
11-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Imagine a world where people thought about BOTH sides of the story before freakin out and pointing fingers! Man wouldn't that be grand.

I agree.

Might have to go back to the original thread, and see how many here chided McD after hearing only the story that Phillips laid out. :lol:

KCL
11-30-2009, 12:41 AM
The Charger will be one and done in the playoffs anyway...great team throughout the season and they choke when playoff time comes.

I hope I don't have to eat my words.....:lol:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-30-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm so sick of the ******* chargers!! I wish they would go to the NFC and we could get ARZ over here or something.

JKcatch724
11-30-2009, 06:05 AM
:joshwouldkickhisass:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Next time we play the Dolts we'll have to march BMarsh out in front of Josh. He'll get em.

GEM
11-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Next time we play the Dolts we'll have to march BMarsh out in front of Josh. He'll get em.

Eff that...put Dawkins next to Josh. A real man who knows where to let the mouth fly...on the field.

topscribe
11-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Eff that...put Dawkins next to Josh. A real man who knows where to let the mouth fly...on the field.

If B-Dawk gets hold of him on the field, the dude will be on the other side of the field, looking for his mouth. :nod:

-----

broncofaninfla
11-30-2009, 01:16 PM
I would love to face the Chargers again in the playoffs. We got spanked recently but we have and can beat this team. I would LOVE to be the team that eliminates the dolts.