PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Class for the Hall

tbone
11-28-2009, 02:03 PM
We need to make sure our guys get in; TD and Shannon Sharpe

Denver Native (Carol)
11-28-2009, 02:30 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9623

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- On Saturday, the Pro Football Hall of Fame announced the 25 players, coaches and contributors who make up the modern-era semifinalist nominees for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2010.

Former Broncos Terrell Davis and Shannon Sharpe are among the names on the list.

The remaining 23 candidates are Emmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Andre Reed, Cris Carter, Cliff Branch, Ray Guy, Dermontti Dawson, Russ Grimm, Roger Craig, Richard Dent, Chris Doleman, Charles Haley, Cortez Kennedy, John Randle, Kevin Greene, Rickey Jackson, Lester Hayes, Aeneas Williams, Steve Tasker, Art Modell, Paul Tagliabue and Don Coryell.

Former Broncos Steve Atwater, Karl Mecklenburg, Michael Dean Perry, Dan Reeves and Louis Wright were part of the initial list of nominees, though they did not make the list of semifinalists.

The 25 modern-era semifinalists list will be reduced by a mail ballot to 15 modern-era finalists that will be announced on Jan. 7. The final list of nominees that will be considered for election will consist of the 15 modern-era finalists and the two previously announced senior nominees: former Detroit Lions cornerback Dick LeBeau and former Bronco Floyd Little.

LeBeau and Little were selected this past August by the Hall of Fame's Senior Selection Committee as automatic finalists for next year's class of Hall of Famers.

Little, who led the team in rushing for seven consecutive seasons from 1967-73, finished his Broncos career ranked No. 1 on the franchise's all-time list for rushing attempts, rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. One of the team's four original Ring of Fame members, Little played in the Pro Bowl in 1970, 1971 and 1973, and participated in the AFL All-Star Game in 1968 and '69.

Davis, the 1998 NFL MVP and Super Bowl XXXII MVP, owns franchise records for rushing yards (7,607) and touchdowns (60). The three-time Pro Bowler is one of five players ever to rush for 2,000 yards in a season. A Broncos Ring of Famer, Davis notched at least 100 yards rushing in seven of eight playoff games with the team.

Sharpe, who was named to the Pro Bowl seven times as a Bronco and helped the club to two Super Bowl victories, was elected as the 22nd member of the Broncos' Ring of Fame in late May. He finished his career by becoming the NFL's all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns by a tight end. In 172 career regular-season games with Denver, Sharpe registered the second-most receptions (675), receiving yards (8,439) and receiving touchdowns (55) by a player in club annals, trailing only wide receiver Rod Smith.

Final voting will be conducted at the Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee's annual meeting, which will be held on Saturday, Feb. 6, 2010 in South Florida the day before Super Bowl XLIV. The election results will be announced immediately afterwards. While there is no set number for any class of enshrines, the selection process by-laws provide that between four and seven new members will be selected.

SR
11-28-2009, 02:33 PM
I think the only Bronco that has even a remote chance of making the Hall this year with that list of names is Shannon Sharpe. That's a pretty stacked list.

dogfish
11-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I think the only Bronco that has even a remote chance of making the Hall this year with that list of names is Shannon Sharpe. That's a pretty stacked list.

seriously, that competition is just brutal. . . emmitt and jerry rice are stone cold locks, and probably dick le beau also with the stealers winning two super bowls over the past few years. . . plus tim brown, kevin greene, john randle, chris carter, dent and doleman. . . not that our guys aren't every bit as deserving, but broncos fans should just know how it goes by now when it comes to the HOF. . . i think people may as well steel themselves for disappointment, but you know that won't happen-- if no broncos make it, this place will be a shitstorm of bitterness. . .

i will say, it makes me hopeful that TD has made semi-finalist status two years in a row now. . . it's better than i expected for him this soon, and it makes me feel like he's going to have a legit chance-- probably in a few years now when some of the immediate crush of surefire first ballot guys like smith and rice have gone through. . .

studbucket
11-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Don't forget Floyd Little. He doesn't have to compete with the other guys, all he needs is 80% of the voters to approve his induction as he's a senior candidate.

Which reminds me: If you watched Floyd play, please let me know, we on the "Denver Broncos HoF Committee" are interested in utilizing your knowledge. See more here: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45171

NameUsedBefore
11-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Shannon Sharpe is the only one who has a chance to get in. And he should get in considering he retired unarguably as one of the all-time greats at his position.

BroncoWave
11-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Shannon Sharpe is the only one who has a chance to get in. And he should get in considering he retired unarguably as one of the all-time greats at his position.

Agreed. The fact that he retired with every major TE receiving record, won 3 Super Bowls, and still didn't get in on the first ballot is ridiculous. I'm not sure what more he could have done.

MOtorboat
11-28-2009, 03:38 PM
http://www.fanschoice.com/

FanInAZ
11-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Emmitt Smith & Jerry Rice: I hope the selection committee doesn't die laughing at the notion that there needs to be discussion about these two. Two of the all-time no-brainers.

Ray Guy: He was selected as the punter on the NFL's 75th Anniversary all-time team, but he's not yet in the HOF? How did that happen?

Paul Tagliabue: Will get in based solely on him holding the title of NFL Commissioner, not on the job he did as the Commissioner. If I had a vote, this guy would never get in.

Floyd Little, Terrell Davis and Shannon Sharpe: Sorry guys, but we've already given away 4 slots with out a defensive play. We have to have at least one or two, so good luck next year. I'm not saying I agree with this, but it is what the selection committee will be thinking.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Sharpe should have been a lock in 09. He'll be in in 2010, along with Rice, Emmitt, LeBeau...and I believe Little.

Others competing for the last spots...Tim Brown (but this is Rice's time. No other WRs allowed), Tagliabue and Dawson. The rest will have to wait.

FanInAZ
11-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Sharpe should have been a lock in 09. He'll be in in 2010, along with Rice, Emmitt, LeBeau...and I believe Little.

Others competing for the last spots...Tim Brown (but this is Rice's time. No other WRs allowed), Tagliabue and Dawson. The rest will have to wait.

Like I said, Tagliabue will get in because of the title he held regardless of his actual job performance.

SmilinAssasSin27
11-28-2009, 05:21 PM
But that can happen any year...doesn't have to be this year.

dogfish
11-28-2009, 05:24 PM

TWO broncos in one year? no way-- the very foundations of the hall would crumble. . . .

TXBRONC
11-28-2009, 05:46 PM
If any former Bronco gets in this year it will be Floyd Little.

TXBRONC
11-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Emmitt Smith & Jerry Rice: I hope the selection committee doesn't die laughing at the notion that there needs to be discussion about these two. Two of the all-time no-brainers.

Ray Guy: He was selected as the punter on the NFL's 75th Anniversary all-time team, but he's not yet in the HOF? How did that happen?

Paul Tagliabue: Will get in based solely on him holding the title of NFL Commissioner, not on the job he did as the Commissioner. If I had a vote, this guy would never get in.

Floyd Little, Terrell Davis and Shannon Sharpe: Sorry guys, but we've already given away 4 slots with out a defensive play. We have to have at least one or two, so good luck next year. I'm not saying I agree with this, but it is what the selection committee will be thinking.

No, Little has a very good chance of getting in. The hurddles he has to get over are not exactly same as that of Sharpe or Davis.

studbucket
11-28-2009, 06:12 PM
No, Little has a very good chance of getting in. The hurddles he has to get over are not exactly same as that of Sharpe or Davis.

Yep, he is not directly competing for votes, all he needs is 80% of the voters to say "yes". It's difficult, but he's only measured against himself and his accomplishments, not LeBeau or anyone else.

BCJ
11-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Don't forget Floyd Little. He doesn't have to compete with the other guys, all he needs is 80% of the voters to approve his induction as he's a senior candidate.

Which reminds me: If you watched Floyd play, please let me know, we on the "Denver Broncos HoF Committee" are interested in utilizing your knowledge. See more here: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45171

First real broncos great and I am the only one to give a hi five. Before Sharpe and TD make it, Little needs to get in. It is amazing how good he was in his day and lesser players make it ahead of him. Sharpe and Davis can wait (even though the voting is different than the case for Little). Little has been waiting far too long. It would be a nice day to have actually 2 Broncos get in on the same day. Hell, we barely get one in the Hall to begin with so is it wishful thinking to get at least one in this coming year?

MileHighWrath
11-29-2009, 09:59 PM
This field of nominees smells way too silver n bleak

Lonestar
11-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Dog nailed it no way 2 broncos get in in the same year almost thinking the way the voters are stacked on the East coast might be haed to get one each decade

Sharpe did not get in last year because TG broke all his records the year previously. AND HE IS A BRONCO.

I thiught with him playing for the crows and helping them get a Ring that he would have been a lock.

Sharpe maybe but TD not this year.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

GEM
11-30-2009, 03:35 PM
First real broncos great and I am the only one to give a hi five. Before Sharpe and TD make it, Little needs to get in. It is amazing how good he was in his day and lesser players make it ahead of him. Sharpe and Davis can wait (even though the voting is different than the case for Little). Little has been waiting far too long. It would be a nice day to have actually 2 Broncos get in on the same day. Hell, we barely get one in the Hall to begin with so is it wishful thinking to get at least one in this coming year?

I completely agree here. As much as I want Sharpe and TD in, Little deserves to be there now as he has way before now.

Ravage!!!
11-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Sharpe didn't get in simply because NO TE has ever made it in his first year eligible. There are a LOT of voters that feel if there has never been one, then there shouldn't be one. Same as you see in the baseball voting. They will vote against him simply because they don't feel any should get a unanimous vote.

Devilspawn
11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
This field of nominees smells way too silver n bleak
You mean a lot of Raider greats.

KCL
12-01-2009, 01:34 AM
I didn't know anything about Little til I looked him up and read all he had accomplished...he is 67 years old now...I am surprised he has been overlooked all these years and I'll be honest...he should have gotten in way before Derrick Thomas did..although I think that DT
does belong in the HOF.

studbucket
12-01-2009, 01:41 AM
I didn't know anything about Little til I looked him up and read all he had accomplished...he is 67 years old now...I am surprised he has been overlooked all these years and I'll be honest...he should have gotten in way before Derrick Thomas did..although I think that DT
does belong in the HOF.

It makes me happy to hear that from you...most people dismiss him offhand. We're trying hard to see if he gets in, especially because he saved the franchise.

LoyalSoldier
12-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Agreed. The fact that he retired with every major TE receiving record, won 3 Super Bowls, and still didn't get in on the first ballot is ridiculous. I'm not sure what more he could have done.

Play for Dallas

KCL
12-01-2009, 01:46 AM
It makes me happy to hear that from you...most people dismiss him offhand. We're trying hard to see if he gets in, especially because he saved the franchise.

Well I was reading how he led the league in rushing for 6 years...it's a shame really to be as old as he is and not in there yet.

studbucket
12-01-2009, 02:10 AM
Well I was reading how he led the league in rushing for 6 years...it's a shame really to be as old as he is and not in there yet.

Technically he lead the league over a 6-year period, not each year for 6 years, if that makes sense.

From this article: http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/44-reasons-to-elect-no-44/

7 - During a 6-year period, 1968-73, Little led the NFL in Rushing
(By comparison, from 1958-63, Jim Brown led the NFL; from 1978-83, Earl Campbell led in rushing)

It's still impressive, just want to make sure everyone understands the stat correctly :)

Also, that article is amazing, everyone please read it.

weazel
12-01-2009, 02:06 PM
if Shannon, TD and Little were Cowboys, they would have been inducted first ballot...

just sayin'

Lonestar
12-01-2009, 10:51 PM
if Shannon, TD and Little were Cowboys, they would have been inducted first ballot...

just sayin'

actually before the first ballot..:salute:

Dirk
12-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Little and Sharpe should definately be in the HOF. TD was doing amazing things during his short career int he NFL. But, I am not sure if he is deserving of the HOF.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT him in the HOF because watching him play he would have been one of if not the best RB of all time if he hadn't gottin' the injury. I'm just saying that they will probably look at in the sense of he just didn't play long enough.

studbucket
12-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Little and Sharpe should definately be in the HOF. TD was doing amazing things during his short career int he NFL. But, I am not sure if he is deserving of the HOF.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT him in the HOF because watching him play he would have been one of if not the best RB of all time if he hadn't gottin' the injury. I'm just saying that they will probably look at in the sense of he just didn't play long enough.

From the articles I've read and the conversations I've had with HoF voters, you're about right. Shannon has a 100% chance of making it in (someday), Floyd is at about 50-70%, but TD will have a really tough time because of the length of his career.

weazel
12-02-2009, 12:15 PM
From the articles I've read and the conversations I've had with HoF voters, you're about right. Shannon has a 100% chance of making it in (someday), Floyd is at about 50-70%, but TD will have a really tough time because of the length of his career.

than Sayers should get thrown out of it...