PDA

View Full Version : Moreno flexed his muscles against Giants

Denver Native (Carol)
11-28-2009, 09:28 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13882577

There is occasional clamoring among fans to see Peyton Hillis, which is understandable.

The Broncos running back is a likeable, folksy kid from Arkansas who had surprising success as a seventh-round rookie last season thanks to a refreshing, bow-the-neck running style. But if brute strength is what people want, did they see how Broncos rookie Knowshon Moreno ran Thursday night against the New York Giants? Moreno ran with authority.

On several of his runs, Giants defenders gave him the ole treatment rather than take him head on.

"It was a tough, physical game against a really good team and we had some success running," Moreno said, his left wrist wrapped in a bandage afterward. "The offensive line did a great job all night opening holes. We were just out there running, having fun."

Moreno has averaged 88.3 yards rushing in the Broncos' last three games, on 5.6 yards per carry. His 688 rushing yards are nearly 200 more than the next-best rookie, Arizona's Beanie Wells.

Against the Giants, Moreno not only ran aggressively, he ran with two hands on the ball, a reaction to losing his fourth fumble Sunday against San Diego.

Doesn't running with two hands on the ball crimp his fluidity?

"Oh, no," he said. "That's the main thing, ball protection. I put an extra emphasis."

Bang for the buck.

Some players are drafted into money. Elvis Dumervil will soon enough get his money the old-fashioned way — he will have earned it.

As he stands now, in the upright outside linebacker position, Dumervil may be the league's most underpaid player, with a fourth-year minimum salary of $535,000 and NFL-best 14 sacks.

Compare Dumervil's production value to Dwight Freeney, who has 9 1/2 sacks and a $31 million guarantee and Broncos rookie Robert Ayers, who has no sacks and a $9.7 million guarantee.

For all the big-dollar decisions confronting the Broncos in the offseason — quarterback Kyle Orton, receiver Brandon Marshall and guard Chris Kuper will join Dumervil as restricted free agents — don't be surprised if the NFL's top pass rusher becomes the team's No. 1 priority.

The Broncos will not address any contract situation until season's end.

Dawkins backs it up.

Brian Dawkins can talk the talk and walk the walk.

Dawkins, 36, led a players- only meeting earlier in the week, then led all players on both sides Thursday with eight solo tackles. He also forced a fumble, recovered a fumble, had two pass deflections and was credited with a quarterback hit. That's the kind of line that can win a guy a defensive player-of- the-week honor.

"He's been playing like he's 25 all year," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "His spirit, I've said it a number of times already, I don't think I'll ever be around another player that has the spirit that Brian Dawkins has."

Footnotes.

Matt Prater's five touchbacks Thursday were one off the team record. Micah Knorr had six in the 2004 season opener at Invesco Field at Mile High. . . . For a few reasons, the Broncos will have interest in the Chargers-Chiefs game Sunday in San Diego. The 7-4 Broncos are a half-game behind the Chargers for the AFC West lead and the 3-7 Chiefs will host the Broncos next week.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I remember someone saying something about the Broncos having one of those "players only" meetings - well it looks like it happened last week and was effective. Good on Dawkins and the defense getting the ship righted this week.

Moreno is getting better and better. I can't wait to see this kid once he reaches his full potential and really starts to "get it". Gonna be fun to watch! :salute:

gobroncsnv
11-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Especially if Moreno can run behind an even more effective line... We did look good against the Giants, but this needs to be something we can count on every week. We have been stretching the field lately, and that has opened things up some. Looked like getting Hamilton out of there was the right thing to do. He was stinking it up, and we've been better since making that move.
I agree, Moreno DEFINITELY has the burden of "great potential" hung around his neck, but I think he'll be able to shoulder that load just fine.

Bozo Jr.
11-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Plain and Simple.....he's not a bust!

Ya, he's fumbled 4 times, but I can also name a "so called" franchise QB who has fumbled more times this year than KnoMo. As a matter of fact he has fumbled 7 times, luckily losing only one......but also has 18 INT's to make up for 'em!

:salute:

Peerless
11-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Moreno was straight bossin'.

If it wasn't for a couple of ticky-tacky holds called on Daniel Graham (especially the second hold), he would have been well over 100 yards.

Bozo Jr.
11-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Moreno was straight bossin'.

If it wasn't for a couple of ticky-tacky holds called on Daniel Graham (especially the second hold), he would have been well over 100 yards.

Ur Damn Straight he would've!!!

Iron Horse72
11-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Especially if Moreno can run behind an even more effective line... We did look good against the Giants, but this needs to be something we can count on every week. We have been stretching the field lately, and that has opened things up some. Looked like getting Hamilton out of there was the right thing to do. He was stinking it up, and we've been better since making that move.
I agree, Moreno DEFINITELY has the burden of "great potential" hung around his neck, but I think he'll be able to shoulder that load just fine.

And we get Harris back that's a plus.