PDA

View Full Version : Field Goal Block Question

BroncoWave
11-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I was having this discussion with some friends a few weeks ago and wasn't sure of the answer to this question:

Let's say someone is attempting a long FG and you have someone in the back of the endzone to return a short kick. If the kick gets right to the crossbar and the player is able to jump up and block it before it goes over, is that allowed? I realize it's a situation that would probably never occur but if you put a really tall player back there with a good vertical leap, it would be something interesting to try.

I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed but it's something that I've never considered before.

Bronco4ever
11-27-2009, 06:32 PM
I can't answer your question, but it would be pretty sick to see someone block a field goal like that!

MOtorboat
11-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Is there goaltending in the NFL?

Dr Velcro
11-27-2009, 07:13 PM
It's allowed....as long as the player isn't touching the bar?

It would be interesting to see, but one would think it's all fair.

spikerman
11-27-2009, 07:45 PM
I found a 2006 NFL rulebook and surprisingly enough it's called "goal tending". From the rulebook, "Goal-tending by a defensive player leaping up to deflect a kick as it passes above the crossbar of a goalpost is prohibited. The Referee could award three points for a palpably unfair act (12-3-3)". http://blogmedia.thenewstribune.com/media/2006%20NFL%20RULEBOOK.pdf

Sorry, I couldn't find anything more recent than that.

Overtime
11-28-2009, 04:17 AM
Might look in here. I looked but didn't find anything on it.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook

Shazam!
11-29-2009, 12:05 AM
I don't think that's allowed. A player blocking a kick like that isn't allowed other than at the Line. They're not even allowed to jump on another player to attempt to block it.

Shane Dronett (I think it was him) tried that and was penalized.

shank
11-29-2009, 12:26 AM
yeah, i remember commentators at some point during this season talk about how players aren't allowed to block kicks at the goal post, only at the LOS..