TXBRONC
09-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Just thought I would pass this information along from the Sporting News.com

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=268321

Broncos Team Report

Posted: September 5, 2007
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

Unselfishness is needed to play defensive tackle in the Broncos' new scheme, since it's all about consuming blockers and allowing others to flow to the ball. In releasing Jimmy Kennedy on the heels of trading Gerard Warren, there aren't many egos to feed. The question is whether there's enough talent to do that job effectively on a regular basis outside of Sam Adams, whose snaps may be limited given his age. Amon Gordon, Marcus Thomas and Antwon Burton have virtually no experience. Alvin McKinley has been a functional if unspectacular contributor throughout his career. Denver will know quickly if its experiment is working, with the Bills, Jaguars and Colts on the schedule in the first month. ...

Elvis Dumervil has augmented his already impressive quick first step with a more varied array of pass-rush moves. And it appears 10 sacks are well within reach. But his biggest challenge will come against the run now that it appears he'll be a starting defensive end. Dumervil combats his lack of bulk with long arms to keep tackles off him. But he can get blown off the ball when he can't get under linemen's pads. And he'll certainly be tested often. The Broncos may be better served with rookie Tim Crowder on early downs. An ankle injury sidelined Crowder late in camp but he fits the mold physically better than Dumervil.

SCOUTING REPORT: Past knee problems wrecked Nate Webster's early career and have robbed him of some of his lateral speed. But Webster still moves around well enough to cover ground and make plays. And he finally appears healthy. Webster's a high-energy player whose intensity rubs off on teammates and he will deliver a wallop in the run game, which produces a similar effect. As the Broncos' new starting strongside linebacker, he'll have to prove he can stay with tight ends in the passing game. But Denver likely will sub safety Curome Cox often in long-yardage situations to avert matchup problems. Webster's value extends to the fact he also can play middle linebacker.

Lee Rasizer covers the Broncos for the Rocky Mountain News.

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Good find it kinda bolsters my thought process about the game being won/lost on the LOS. I fear for the DT and DL not being up to the task this year.

TXBRONC
09-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Although Bates isn't the one that gets out onto the field to play I think he'll find way to make it work. Time will tell.

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Although Bates isn't the one that gets out onto the field to play I think he'll find way to make it work. Time will tell.

I hope so the DL has me concerned. He worked magic in MIA and did well in GB.. So here is hoping that this unit will come together sooner rather than later.

TXBRONC
09-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I hope so the DL has me concerned. He worked magic in MIA and did well in GB.. So here is hoping that this unit will come together sooner rather than later.

I hear ya, again time will tell if Bates has all the right parts, hopefully he does.

Skinny
09-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks TX.

On Nate Webster
As the Broncos' new starting strongside linebacker, he'll have to prove he can stay with tight ends in the passing game. But Denver likely will sub safety Curome Cox often in long-yardage situations to avert matchup problems.Cox played well last season and did a great job of playing tight on receivers. However matching him up with the likes of Gates and Gonzalez while subing for Webster concerns be a bit.

I've really liked the way Abdullah has played this pre-season and him showing his ability to hit and tackle with authority. Personally, i would feel alot better about that situation with him in the line up in that role. But of course Bates knows what he's doing.

IMO, it's not just about speed when covering TEs with a CB or Safety such as Cox, but strength. Those guys are hard to bring down!

Interesting none the less.

TXBRONC
09-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks TX.

On Nate WebsterCox played well last season and did a great job of playing tight on receivers. However matching him up with the likes of Gates and Gonzalez while subing for Webster concerns be a bit.

I've really liked the way Abdullah has played this pre-season and him showing his ability to hit and tackle with authority. Personally, i would feel alot better about that situation with him in the line up in that role. But of course Bates knows what he's doing.

IMO, it's not just about speed when covering TEs with a CB or Safety such as Cox, but strength. Those guys are hard to bring down!

Interesting none the less.

If I'm reading it right it would be just in long yardage situations.

Me too I've liked the way Abdullah has played, hopefully that carries over into the regular season. :beer:

Lonestar
09-05-2007, 01:24 PM
If reading it right it would be just in long yardage situations.

Me too I've liked the way Abdullah has played, hopefully that carries over into the regular season. :beer:

Unless something changes I'd guess that Champ will line up against both of them. You put your best guy on their best receiver do you not?

As it stands right now they have no credible threat at WR.

TXBRONC
09-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Unless something changes I'd guess that Champ will line up against both of them. You put your best guy on their best receiver do you not?

As it stands right now they have no credible threat at WR.

True since Champ came to the Broncos he has lined up against Gonzales, but I thinks situational. rather than every pass play.

I can't remember Champ lining up against Gates over the past could years that doesn't mean he hasn't from time to time.