PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Offseason Storylines

dogfish
01-23-2008, 07:16 AM
i'm obviously a fan of the broncos specifically, but i'm also a fan of the NFL and the game of football in general, and as such i always enjoy watching the drama unfold over the offseason. . . i like watching the movement of players and coaches almost as much as the games themselves-- the activity is a few concentrated bursts separated by long, slow periods when you yearn for some football, but honestly with the amount of coverage and discussion now available, i enjoy the offseason almost as much as the regular season. . . and i try to keep up with what every franchise is doing-- in today's age of parity, almost every year at least one team goes from doormat to contender over the course of the offseason. . . with that in mind, here are some of the storylines i'll be paying close attention to over the next few months (in no particular order)-- some of them may be resolved quite soon, and others may linger through training camp. . . i did avoid a few regarding coaching vacancies and a few top names still on the market, because those may be settled by this time tomorrow. . . i considered some others, but these are the ones i settled on-- feel free to chime in and remind me what i missed, or speculate as to how any or all of these may play out. . .

1. WILL THE EAGLES TRADE DONOVAN MCNABB?

they've obviously been through some ups and downs with him, but the ups have really been higher than the downs have. . . some of the drama has been needless crap manufactured or blown out of proportion by the media-- a lot of the TO junk, a few minor racial remarks, speculation about his future after the drafting of kolb, etc etc. . . injuries have been the real problem, but even with those taken into account mcnabb's tenure in philly has been very successful as a whole, and he's done it with odds and ends at receiver-- they haven't been able to land that elusive championship, but four straight trips to the conference championship game with a super bowl appearance is still nothing to sneeze at. . . there are an awful lot of franchises that would take that in a heartbeat, and with mcnabb at the helm the team has achieved a remarkable level of consistency-- they're competitive every year, and they dominated that division until recently. . .

if they deal him, all of that potentially changes-- they've played relatively well when he's been hurt, and there's more to that organization than D-Mac, but a 2nd year QB with no pro experience isn't exactly the same situation as bringing in a veteran pro bowler like jeff garcia. . . mcnabb has been the leader and the face of this team for a decade, and when he's healthy he is still one of the league's best quarterbacks. . . on the flip side he is not getting any younger, he has ended something like three of the past five years on IR, and he has a massive salary. . . he has also become a bit of a polarizing figure over the past year or so, though i blame that more on the media than on mcnabb himself. . . i wouldn't do it, but it does make some sense for them to possibly trade him while he still has some value-- given the scarcity of good, proven quarterbacks, there will unquestionably be a strong market for mcnabb, injury concerns and salary notwithstanding. . . if teams will take guys like trent green, and even vinny testaverde, you can bet your ass mcnabb would be in serious demand! think what he could do for a team like chicago, baltimore or minnesota. . . :shocked: if he is traded, it could potentially affect the balance of power in that division, or even across the league. . .

2. WILL THE PATRIOTS RE-SIGN RANDY MOSS?

last year the fade practically gave moss away because he looked very much like a washed up malcontent, and despite his fantastic history of production teams weren't exactly lining up to pay big and take a risk on him-- this year, things will be a different story! moss showed beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is still a gamebreaking talent when he wants to be-- and although that caveat may prevent some teams from pursuing him, he will quite clearly be one of the top names on the free agent market if they let him get that far. . .

it's going to be interesting to see how new england handles it, as they have a history of being unwilling to pay top dollar to aging names-- in the past they have been content to let other clubs take their aging stars while they themselves build through the draft and selective free agent signings. . . but moss made a drastic impact and took their offense to a different level, and early reports are that the team is intent on re-signing him. . . it's possible that he may give them a bit of a discount to play for a winner, but moss has been pretty self-centered in the past-- how will they handle it if he asks for the moon? this is another player who can make a potentially huge impact if he changes teams, so keep a close eye on how this one plays out. . . i suspect they end up compromising and he stays there, but you never know. . .

3. WILL THE BEARS OR RAVENS FIND SOME OFFENSE?

this one is a recurring theme-- a broken record in the ravens' case-- but it's still a question worth asking, because if either of them actually did they could be a menace. . . everyone knows that these teams have perennially strong defenses that are loaded with talent, but neither ever has an offense that a respectable college program would be happy with. . .

the "offensive genius" brian billick finally ran out of rope in baltimore, so we'll see whether he just sucked, or the franchise is cursed to always be one of the worst O's in the league. . . we'll also see how much longer lovie can get by without making some attempt to find a legitimate starter instead of retreads like griese and retards like grossman. . . both teams are desperate for a quarterback that can actually move the ball and put some points on the board-- if one of them happens to find that guy, the rest of the pieces could be in place for a deep playoff run. . . although they both need more help on that side of the ball than just a signalcaller, don't forget that the ravens went 13-3 just last year, while the bears were in the super bowl. . . the vultures do have some decent (not great) skill position players to work with, and some solid young offensive linemen to build around-- the bears have jack squat, but devin hester by himself can change the course of games. . . of course this isn't a question that can be fully answered until well into the season, but the moves made over the offseason should give us some indication, as well as setting the groundwork for the actual storyline to play out. . .

4. WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD FOR MARVIN HARRISON AND SHAUN ALEXANDER?

these guys have been league icons, among the best and most consistent producers at their respective positions year after year-- guys who could be counted on for 1,200+ yards and double digit TDs every season, as inevitable as death and taxes. . . their teams have easily been the class of their divisions recently, and both players have had a huge hand in that success. . . harrison has been on a pace to challenge all of rice's records, and alexander has been the smoothest scoring machine since wilt chamberlain :heh: . . . .

the truth is, both franchises are potentially in position to proceed without these star players, but it would be wrong to assume that either can just march on without losing a beat. . . although the colts offense was beset by injuries and was missing more than just harrison, it's clear that they were a different unit without him. . . reggie wayne was able to take his place as the go-to guy, but that left a huge drop-off in production from the #2 spot, and wayne isn't quite the same big play threat that harrison has been over the years. . . dallas clarke will help take up some of the slack, and anthony gonzalez will develop into a fine WR in their system with manning throwing him the ball-- still, you don't replace a hall of famer just like that, and the chemistry between manning and harrison will be difficult to replicate anytime soon if harrison's balky knee forces him into retirement. . . everyone assumed that indy would end up facing new england in the AFC championship game, but their loss to san diego raises the question of whether they should be viewed as quite the same powerhouse without one of their top stars-- i personally think they're the type of organization that can meet that challenge, but there's no doubt that having harrison come back strong next year would be the best scenario for them. . .

alexander isn't facing the same health problems as harrison, but he has been slowed badly by nagging injuries the past two years, and he is reaching the age where most RBs start to go downhill fast. . . add his lack of production to a monstrous salary, and you're looking at a very likely cap casualty unless he takes a serious pay cut. . . the seahawks are still the class of the NFC weak, but the other teams are stock-piling young talent and threatening to close the gap in a hurry. . . the hawks showed this year that they can win with a pass-heavy offense directed by matt hasselbeck, but their O was clearly at it's most potent when they were running a balanced attack with alexander racking up TDs-- they haven't been quite the same since stupidly letting hutchinson go, and losing mack strong doesn't help either. . . if they lose alexander they lose by far their best red zone weapon. . . also, without a proven veteran in the backfield, holmgren is even more likely to abandon the running game and let their offense become completely one dimensional. . . the squawks are in luck, though-- this year's draft class is loaded with RB talent, and with a very solid roster they don't have a ton of particularly pressing needs-- i think there's a very good chance we could see a back like felix jones or maybe jamaal charles go to seattle with their top selection. . .

dogfish
01-23-2008, 07:25 AM
5. WHERE WILL LANCE BRIGGS END UP?

the bears would obviously love to keep one of the impact defenders on their dominant unit, but they promised not to franchise him again this year, and he is going to be awfully expensive to keep. . . they could certainly use that money to add some talent on the other side of the ball, and they have enough playmakers on defense to survive the loss of briggs-- i've heard some rumors that they feel they can replace most of his production with a young player at a fraction of the cost, and if that's the case they may decide to let him walk and spend that money elsewhere (try finding an NFL quarterback you idiots!). . .

briggs may end up being the top free agent on the market, and he is in position to land an immense deal wherever he goes. . . there has been some talk that his production is inflated by the talent around him, and that he may not be as successful in another scheme, but he is going to get paid huge dollars. . . washington is VERY interested in him (they tried to trade for him last year, and chicago stupidly refused a deal that would have landed them the #6 overall pick—I hope they’re happy with greg olsen when they could have had adrian all day peterson!!), and we all know daniel snyder's penchant for throwing money at name players. . . the 'skins don't necessarily need briggs if marcus washington and rocky macintosh can come back healthy, but that's never stopped them before, and there has been talk that briggs could possibly switch to MIKE, his college position. . .

i think a dark horse candidate could be tampa bay-- WR will be their top need in FA, and they can always find cover-2 'backers that most teams don't want later in the draft, but bringing in the league's premier cover-2 WILL to replace the aging derrick brooks would have to be a temptation. . . i'm not sure what their cap situation is, but making an impact signing would be a great way to reinvigorate the fan base after a disappointing playoff flop to end a rebound season. . . teams like philadelphia, cincy, and the new york giants could also be possible landing spots. . . he brings serious range and playmaking ability, and some defense is going to be very happy to get him if da bears don't lock him up. . .

6. CAN THE TITANS AND VIKINGS FIND REAL NFL RECEIVERS?

they need 'em-- BAD! both teams have tough defenses, quality running games, O-lines that can mash. . . and no receivers. . . both also have embattled young QBs that have taken a ton of heat, but these teams may want to get their young guns some competent receiving threats before they throw the babies out with the bathwater. . . tennesse hasn't had a decent wideout since derrick mason left, and the vikes got killed trying to replace randy moss with troy "look ma, no hands" williamson. . . neither has anything even slightly resembling a #1 WR, unless you count eric moulds, who was one about five years ago-- at this point, i'd say it's pushing it to even call any of their guys legitimate 2's. . . these squads both have the pieces in place to be dangerous, but they aren't likely to get over the hump without adding some juice to their passing games, some weapons on the outside that can make big plays and open the field for the rest of their guys. . . young and jackson don't look likely to morph into elite passers next year, but either of them would probably put up much more respectable stats with even halfway decent WRs. . .

unfortunately, this year's draft class seems to be lacking real star power at WR, even though there's good depth with lots of potential contributors. . . but for a team looking for an immediate big impact, pickings might be pretty slim-- and the free agent group isn't much more promising. . . again, there are a decent number of competent players available, with the likes of bryant johnson, bernard berrian and d.j. hackett, but no real difference makers unless randy moss hits the market. . . these teams should be chomping at the bit to see if the bengals are really interested in trading chad johnson, and one of them might be well advised to take a gamble on javon walker's knee, because if they're left relying on rookies or more #2/#3 types, they might be left on the outside looking in again next year when the best teams are playing late into january or beyond. . . still, almost anything would be an improvement over what they've got-- just how much of an improvement they can make could determine whether these teams become serious factors next year or not. . .

7. WILL THE BROWNS TRADE DEREK ANDERSON?

first they said they'd put him on the market, them more recently they said they wouldn't-- personally, i'm not inclined to believe ANYTHING a general manager says this time of year. . . i won't be completely convinced that he's staying until the season starts and he's still on their roster. . . it would be a risk for them to move him after the improvements they made on offense this year, and the numbers he put up-- on the other hand, some feel that his production was a result of the talent around him, and that 1st rounder brady quinn could be just as effective or even more so. . . the browns invested a lot in quinn, and trading the restricted free agent anderson would certainly be a lot more cost-effective than paying him a high one-year tender. . . also, solid starting QBs are always at a premium, especially young ones-- anderson could fetch them a hefty return, and his value may never be higher. . .

it's a tough choice for the team, and someone's career could be ruined if they botch it. . . if anderson does go on the block, there will be a lot of interest, and it will be intriguing to see who's willing to cough up the most. . .

8. WILL KANSAS CITY GET A QUARTERBACK?

the rest of the clubs in the AFC west are feeling pretty good about their young signalcallers right about now. . . some (starting with me) question whether phillip rivers is a product of their system and their impressive skill position players, but by and large the production has been there-- if he continues to improve his consistency, he's good enough to win with as long as LT stays at his current level. . . jay cutler showed a ton of promise this year despite some shaky line play and a parade of injuries around him. . . jamarcus russell clearly hasn't proven anything, but naturally the fade has to be excited about the potential of a #1 overall pick. . .

the chefs, on the other hand, are in limbo with brodie croyle-- he has some potential, but he was more bad than good this year, and is extremely fragile to boot. . . they need a LOT of help on offense, but at least they FINALLY found a quality receiver, after a seemingly endless search. . . larry johnson probably has another few solid years in him, and they should try to take advantage before they run him completely into the ground. . . even if they still think croyle can be the answer (i hope they do! :lol: ), they would be smart to protect themselves with another viable option. . .

they do have some choices, and conventional wisdom would dictate that they spent the #5 overall pick on the top QB available-- of course, "conventional wisdom" is sometimes conceived by idiots, and in a year when the QB class is considered shaky at best, their safest move is to spend that pick on a monster offensive tackle. . . they'll still have a shot at a solid QB prospect at the start of the 2nd round, or they could opt to go through a trade or free agency. . . one of the reasons this particular situation is of interest to me (besides keeping an eye on a division rival in the arms race) is the trickle-down effect it could have on the draft in general, and denver's #12 pick in particular-- i'd love to see them draft a QB and keep one more top tackle on the board. . .

9. WHAT WILL MIAMI DO WITH THE TOP PICK IN THE DRAFT?

this is always a fun one, and this year is no different-- like most teams bad enough to "earn" this dubious distinction, the putrid 'phins have way, way more needs than they can fill with just one pick. . . the dilemma starts before they're even on the clock-- do they spend the pick, or do they look to trade down? and if they want to trade down, is there a team that's willing to give up what it takes to move into the top spot? my guess is that glen dorsey is the only player in this year's draft that could prompt a team to make that kind of move-- darren mcfadden may also project as that type of impact player, but the astonishing depth and talent of this year's RB class probably makes a move to #1 to grab mcfadden unlikely. . .

the addition of bill parcells to run this underachieving team adds to the intrigue-- parcells is a pretty savvy personnel guy, and you can bet he won't do something moronic like taking ted ginn with a top-10 pick! :lol: i'm betting he'd love to trade the pick, but i doubt he finds a partner this year. . . if they're stuck with it, the next question is whether they take a QB-- the team has a crying need there, but they did spend a 2nd on john beck just last year. . . beck failed to impress in limited action this season, but can they really give up on a high 2nd that quickly? of course they would have options if they take a guy like matt ryan and then beck develops into a quality starter (see previous discussion about cleveland), but players like dorsey, mcfadden, and michigan OT jake long are projected by a lot of scouts as much better prospects at their respective positions than ryan, the generally (though not universally) accepted top QB of this class. . . the enormous salary of a #1 pick makes the stakes extremely high, and failure can be a tremendous setback to the franchise. . .

10. WILL BRETT FAVRE RETURN FOR ANOTHER SEASON?

aaaand, last but not least, the annual brett favre retirement saga! honestly, i'm as sick of hearing about it as the rest of you, but it's still a situation that bears watching. . . regardless of the over-dramatization by ESPiN and others, this is a topic that does indeed have a lot of relevance to the NFL-- especially coming off a year where the pack returned to contention. . . not only is favre one of the faces of the league, and one of the best quarterbacks to ever play, but he also re-emerged this year as the engine of one of the league's premier offenses. . . that team is a great mix of young talent like greg jennings, aj hawk, ryan grant, cullen jenkins and nick barnett with veteran performers like chad clifton, mark tauscher, al harris, charles woodson and donald driver-- if #4 comes back, there's no reason to think that they won't be in the mix for the NFC's top spot again next year. . . with that in mind, favre's decision could drastically alter the balance of power in the league's weaker conference. . .

and, as irritating as this yearly drama has grown to be, i've got to admit that as a football fan i still love watching the guy play. . . favre's ego has been fed shamelessly over the years, and he's had a penchant for turning the ball over far too much for a QB of his standing, but there's a reason that he has almost every major passing record and is a surefire 1st ballot hall of famer. . . he still has the skills to get it done, and the game is always better for having top players who bring favre's toughness and competitive fire-- i wish a lot of today's stars had a quarter of his intensity and true passion for the sport. . .

well, there you have it-- just a few of the scenarios i'll be keeping my eyes on in the coming months. . . what will you be watching for?

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 09:04 AM
In my dreams I have a solid answer to #5.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-23-2008, 09:22 AM
I think at this point, Marvin Harrison and Shaun Alexander are worlds apart. Harrison had 1 injury...during 1 season. Alexander's production has been slipping ala Eddie George ever since he broke the TD record. Marv will be a productive Colt for at least 2-3 more years. SA may be a backup in 2008.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-23-2008, 09:23 AM
BTW...nice read. Thanx

mclark
01-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Love you bringing those Florida State girls back, Assassin. A lot of fond memories on this board looking at them.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Love you bringing those Florida State girls back, Assassin. A lot of fond memories on this board looking at them.

Had to be done...was cleaning out my photobucket account and came across em. It's what I remember most about the Freak.

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Definately one of the first things I remember about my first day or so on there. Almost seems like yesterday.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-23-2008, 03:43 PM
They still make me tingly...3 years later

mclark
01-23-2008, 04:04 PM
They still make me tingly...3 years later

Nirvana.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-23-2008, 04:12 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/27atwater/fsupit.jpg