PDA

View Full Version : Teen catches a break when Marshall becomes his guardian

Denver Native (Carol)
11-26-2009, 10:21 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13871084

It was just a quick "smoke" route, a short pass to the wide receiver wearing jersey No. 15 on the first play after halftime.

The receiver caught the ball and cut to the far sideline, streaking through, then past, the defense. By the time he reached the goal line, 61 yards later, all the opponent could see was that big No. 15 on his back.

Touchdown, Rayshon Williams.

"I don't think I've ever seen him run that fast," said Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall, laughing, from where he sat watching the game on cold metal bleachers. "He better not be faster than me."

The touchdown was one of four that Williams, a 17-year-old junior, scored last Friday for Mullen High School in a Class 5A state quarter-final playoff game. After each one, Marshall, the original No. 15, clapped his approval.

Marshall and Williams are first cousins. About 18 months ago, Marshall became Williams' guardian, moving the teen from a troubled life in a dangerous Pittsburgh neighborhood to Denver.

"Where we come from, the neighborhood, the percentage of guys that make it is slim to none," Marshall said. "I left Pittsburgh and went down to Florida and was in a great environment, sort of similar to this. I got a chance to go to college, to graduate from college, get my degree and make it to the NFL, and my way of giving back to him is giving him an opportunity."

The relationship between Marshall and Williams reveals a side of Marshall few Broncos fans have seen — a responsible adult who shows as much interest in his cousin's report card as his own statistics.

"I think it has helped ground Brandon a bit, in that he knows he is responsible for Ray. And even though he's 25, he's got a junior in high school that is his responsibility," said Mullen coach Dave Logan, also the Broncos' radio play-by-play announcer on KOA 850 AM. "He's done a really good job in mentoring him and trying to establish with Ray what is important. Football is important, but your education and how you conduct yourself is more important."

Marshall has stumbled at times in recent years, personally and professionally, and he said he's determined to make sure Williams doesn't make similar missteps.

"I can honestly say I'd be in deep trouble if I hadn't learned from that stuff. I don't know what road I'd be on now," Marshall said. "Now I'm on a good road, a positive road, and it's all because of the things I've been through, good and bad."

Playing and acting like a pro

After the third quarter of Friday's game, Mullen had a big lead and Logan had pulled his starters, including Williams, so Marshall headed to his black SUV in the Mullen parking lot. He cranked the heater up to 90 degrees, turned on the in-dash DVD player and popped in a burned DVD of his 2008 season, when he made his first Pro Bowl after catching 104 passes.

"I'm watching these to get my confidence back," he said.

Few things have come easily for Marshall this season, starting with surgery last spring to repair a nagging hip injury, then missing the Broncos' offseason workouts because of rehabilitation and a boycott of one mandatory minicamp. He asked for a new contract, or a trade, and got neither, and later threw a temper tantrum at practice during training camp. New Denver coach Josh McDaniels had enough and suspended him for the final nine days of the preseason.

Marshall returned to the Broncos determined to behave like a professional and show he deserved a new contract.

"I learned it's OK to feel the things that you feel and want the things that you want, but you have to go about it in a more professional way," Marshall said.

Marshall is making $2.198 million this season, the final year of his first NFL contract, and will become a restricted free agent after the season, giving the Broncos the right to match any other offer he might receive.

"My contract is over in a month and a half, so I'll be able to accomplish the things I want to accomplish," Marshall said. "There will be a team out there willing to trade for anybody, I mean anybody, who has accomplished the things that I've accomplished."

McDaniels won't discuss Marshall's long-term future with the Broncos, but said he has grown to love his playmaking potential and passionate personality, even if Marshall at times has trouble harnessing his emotions, such as Sunday, when he berated rookie tailback Know-shon Moreno on the sideline after a fumble.

"I'm proud of where we've gone, from what he did to get through and get past," McDaniels said. "Boy, how he's handled it has been impressive to me, to be in that situation, and then be where he is now."

"Future is very, very bright"

Marshall gladly found himself in Williams' shadow Friday. Wearing a black ballcap and a gray, hooded sweat shirt, Marshall stayed back as Williams received hugs and congratulations after Mullen's 41-7 rout of ThunderRidge.

Williams, who at 6-feet-1 and 175 pounds is significantly smaller than Marshall, already is attracting interest from Division I football teams. He has received his first scholarship offer, from the University of Minnesota, which is coached by former Broncos assistant Tim Brewster.

"His future is very, very bright," Logan said. "The important thing for him is to continue to improve, work in the classroom, and if that continues, he'll be able to go wherever he wants to go."

Marshall and Williams work out together in the offseason — "I kill him," Marshall said — but Marshall said he is most demanding of Williams about his work in the classroom. Unhappy with Williams' report card last spring, Marshall sent Williams home to Pittsburgh for the summer.

"I told him, you've been here for a year; you've been in Pittsburgh your whole life. When you go home, it's going to feel totally different. You're going to realize it's not a good place for you to be," Marshall said. "He had a chance to experience home after being in an environment like this, and I think it kind of shook him up."

The trip home worked. Williams returned to Denver in time for the start of the school year, and Marshall and Logan say Williams is doing better in the classroom.

"I appreciate it more because I saw the environment at home differently," Williams said. "I've taken more advantage of it."

As the Mullen players and their families began to leave Friday night, Williams said his goodbyes and climbed into the back of Marshall's SUV to head home.

"I can understand my mom and her feelings now," Marshall said. "She's my biggest fan, and sometimes I have to be like, 'Mom, take these pictures down,' because she is football, football, football. But I can see where that excitement and that joy comes from, because when I see Ray succeed in the classroom and on the football field, it's just like I'm a proud parent."

GEM
11-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Great story...except for the part about 1.5 mos left on his contract and any team being willing to trade for him. Maybe he'll stay, but it doesn't sound like he cares either way where he ends up.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Brandon Marshall is my hero, always will be.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Great story...except for the part about 1.5 mos left on his contract and any team being willing to trade for him. Maybe he'll stay, but it doesn't sound like he cares either way where he ends up.

I can assure you he's staying 100%.

GEM
11-26-2009, 10:42 AM

I hope so!

As much as he has been a pain in the ass, I think we are all witnessing the maturing of The Beast. I hope to watch him for many years to come. He's a likeable guy who is fantastic on the field.

SR
11-26-2009, 12:00 PM

That's a pretty false assurance. I'd say his chances of staying aren't greater than 60/40 in favor of staying.

Either way, the jury is still out on Marshall. We've heard the same song and dance from him for three years now. When he can show for more than a couple-few months that he's matured and isn't a fool anymore, I'll believe him.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-26-2009, 01:20 PM
That's a pretty false assurance. I'd say his chances of staying aren't greater than 60/40 in favor of staying.

Either way, the jury is still out on Marshall. We've heard the same song and dance from him for three years now. When he can show for more than a couple-few months that he's matured and isn't a fool anymore, I'll believe him.

I don't give a damn, as a guy who has made alot of mistakes in my life, I can't help but rooting for him to an almost irrational extent. And I'll never believe that he hit rashita watley.

weazel
11-26-2009, 01:21 PM
was this part of a community service he was served with?

Gamechanger
11-26-2009, 01:29 PM
this is something I like to see, some positive praises for Marshall

not for nothing, when he's got his head on straight, I like B-Marsh

he'll get paid handsomely when his contract expires at the rate he's going

SR
11-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't give a damn, as a guy who has made alot of mistakes in my life, I can't help but rooting for him to an almost irrational extent. And I'll never believe that he hit rashita watley.

We all make mistakes. How we rebound and learn from said mistakes is a different story. When he gets his shit together for more than a couple of months, I'll be a believer. Until then, shit like when he kicked the football during the game and got a personal foul, gets in confrontations with his team mates on the sidelines is what sticks out in my mind. He's got a long way to go before he becomes a "class act" in my book. This is a step in the right direction though.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-26-2009, 01:58 PM
A great article, and the Broncos would be absolute morons not to try and lock this guy up long term. Even with a pretty solid draft class, I do not know if what we'd get in compensation would be worth the risk for picks. Marshall is an established top receiver in the league, is young and has a lot to offer. He has been taught by some of the best receivers, Cris Carter and Rod Smith and is learning to be a professional in many aspects.

I think he can be tagged in multiple manners too, but we have some other players to consider as well. All and all, I hope he stays. We are a better team with him than without him. He can be a difference maker. We've see than this year. We've seen it before.

Go Broncos.

weazel
11-26-2009, 02:08 PM
maybe it's his kid? maybe he's the one that got rid of the kids parents? hmm, who knows?

shit, maybe its one of Travis Henry's kids?

Denver Native (Carol)
11-26-2009, 02:28 PM
was this part of a community service he was served with?

Definitely not - he called in one day to speak with DMac & Alfred, and stated that in the off season, there was a family meeting to see what should be done with his cousin, and it was decided he would come and stay with Brandon. Brandon was cute when he explained the day he called in that his cousin is assigned chores to do, Brandon monitors his school/homework, etc.

Here is the call - the first thing talked about is Brandon's cousin. Very good listen.

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?id=1162282

weazel
11-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Definitely not - he called in one day to speak with DMac & Alfred, and stated that in the off season, there was a family meeting to see what should be done with his cousin, and it was decided he would come and stay with Brandon. Brandon was cute when he explained the day he called in that his cousin is assigned chores to do, Brandon monitors his school/homework, etc.

Here is the call - the first thing talked about is Brandon's cousin. Very good listen.

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?id=1162282

I think he got in a fight with an old girlfirend, killed her and then had to take care of the kid. After he took care of the body, that is. :eek:
;)