PDA

View Full Version : Heath Ledger Dead at age 28

Kapaibro
01-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Heath Ledger dead (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324696,00.html)

NEW YORK — Actor Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday at his downtown Manhattan residence, according to the NYPD. He was 28.

NYPD spokeswoman Stephanie Jaramillo told FOXNews.com that Ledger was discovered by his housekeeper at his apartment on Broome Street in the Soho section of New York City and was pronounced dead at 3:35 p.m. EST.

Jaramillo declined to comment on the cause of death, saying only that "the investigation is still ongoing."

But The New York Post reported that Ledger died of a possible drug overdose and his apartment was strewn with pills.

Ledger had an appointment for a massage at his Manhattan apartment, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne told The Associated Press. The housekeeper went to let Ledger know the masseuse had arrived and found him dead, according to Browne.

The Australian-born actor was nominated for an Oscar for "Brokeback Mountain," where he met his wife, actress Michelle Williams, in 2005. Ledger and Williams had lived in Brooklyn and had a daughter, Matilda, until they split up last year.

Ledger's roles include the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in "Monster's Ball" and had starring roles in "A Knight's Tale" and "The Patriot." He was to appear as the Joker this year in "The Dark Night," a sequel to 2005's "Batman Begins."

RIP Heath. A great actor. Sad that his little girl won't get to know her daddy.

Please do not use this thread to express your opinions on people who commit suicide, or do drugs. This thread is for those who wish to remember a talented young man.

Snapping Turtle
01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Totally my fave actor!

schnooks1
01-22-2008, 06:10 PM
He was so great in the Patriot! This goes to show you that money and fame does not give you what you really need! So many die so young!

Cleveland Rocks
01-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Yea, OMG, Heath Ledger is dead.

I can't believe it. I really liked the guy.

I remember way back from 10 Things I Hate About You, The Patriot, A Knight's Tale. Good movies - very good actor. I didn't even know he had a drug problem.

RIP

G_Money
01-22-2008, 06:45 PM
This ******* sucks.

Heath was an actor of incredible range - both the breadth and the depth of his portrayals were startling, and only got more so as he grew into himself.

I admire any actor who refuses to cover old ground and therefore passes up the chance for more money. Every Tom Cruise movie has Tom Cruise in it, whatever the character's name might be.

Heath Ledger, OTOH, was harder to get a grip on, because his assured portrayals of so many different people made his real self more of a chameleon. He was charming and funny, but also reserved and deeply private.

And there was a lot of anger in there. Resentment.

I don't know what happened - accidental overdose, bad reaction from washing down sleeping pills w/ beer, successful suicide attempt - but I know that I feel badly for his friends, his family, and especially his daughter, who now will know him only from his movies. And who will have to piece together the real man from those unerring portrayals of fictional characters.

Ledger was well on his way to being the most accomplished actor of his generation.

He'll have left us at least one final performance to show us why that was. I'm glad I was able to see so many of his works of art. I just re-watched Lords of Dogtown last night, actually, but right now I'm thinking of his fine work in Candy, a romantically painful portrayal of the destruction of heroin addiction and the attempt to survive it for the sake of a child and a relationship, and some of the shattering aspects of that movie are now played out in real life.

I hate it when life imitates art in that fashion - we are all the poorer for it. For all that I expected Robert Downey Jr to end up dead in a car somewhere as his character did in Less Than Zero, I did not expect Heath to go out this way. Both men apparently have defied my expectations.

I will miss his work. There are so few actors whose work and talent I respect - and now there's one fewer, I guess.

RIP, Mr. Ledger. Thanks for your work, and your commitment to it. I wish you'd have stayed a bit longer, though.

~G

MHCBill
01-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Say no to drugs and this doesn't happen!

Skinny
01-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Wow! Shocked to say the least. Waaaaay to young ...

G_Money
01-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Say no to drugs and this doesn't happen!

Ledger reportedly kicked his habit last year.

But those things have a way of coming back at you.

That's sorta why it's an addiction. It also looks like this could be a suicide instead of a straight OD - I'm waiting to see on that.

Because if it's a suicide, then I think it's awfully callous of Heath to do it in Mary-Kate Olsen's house while she's at Sundance.

Sorta makes it hard for her to live there any more, wouldn't you think?

~G

claymore
01-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Ledger reportedly kicked his habit last year.

But those things have a way of coming back at you.

That's sorta why it's an addiction. It also looks like this could be a suicide instead of a straight OD - I'm waiting to see on that.

Because if it's a suicide, then I think it's awfully callous of Heath to do it in Mary-Kate Olsen's house while she's at Sundance.

Sorta makes it hard for her to live there any more, wouldn't you think?

~G
If thats the case, what a drama queen. Loser.

Cleveland Rocks
01-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Ledger broke up with his wife a few months ago. Also, on the Browns board I'm on they linked to an interview he (supposedly) recently gave that was somewhat "eery" in what he said. Here's the interview:

Interview (http://www.tmz.com/tmz_main_video?titleid=1387524799)

broncogirl7
01-22-2008, 07:09 PM
I feel so sorry for the family. Heath was an awesome actor, full of depth and range and could play any role. He was a beautiful man and I will miss his smile and voice.
Mary-Kate will have to sell her home as there will be no way she could live there now.

broncogirl7
01-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Ledger broke up with his wife a few months ago. Also, on the Browns board I'm on they linked to an interview he (supposedly) recently gave that was somewhat "eery" in what he said. Here's the interview:

Interview (http://www.tmz.com/tmz_main_video?titleid=1387524799)

That was definately sad and suspicious under the circumstances. He looked pretty strung out on that interview, but maybe he had been on the set all day...I don't know, I am just sad.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Great actor. It's too bad when talent goes so soon...whatever the reason.

Stargazer
01-23-2008, 05:24 AM
Ledger was well on his way to being the most accomplished actor of his generation.

I will miss his work. There are so few actors whose work and talent I respect

Agree. He was good.:tsk:

Kapaibro
01-23-2008, 06:06 AM
More than losing a great actor, or the issue with his struggle with drugs, I am sad for a family who has lost a son, and a daughter who will not know her father.

G_Money
01-23-2008, 10:45 AM
TMZ says he had pneumonia, the Police spokesman now says he was wrong about it being in the (more) bizarre Olsen's apartment...

And his father says it was definitely accidental.

"We, Heath's family can confirm the very tragic, untimely and accidental passing of our dearly loved son, brother and doting father of Matilda," his father said.

"He was found peacefully asleep in his New York apartment by his housekeeper. He was down to earth, generous, kind-hearted, life-loving, unselfish, individual (and) extremely inspirational to many."

"We would like to thank our friends and everyone around the world for their well wishes and kind thoughts at this time," Mr Ledger said.

"Heath has touched so many people on so many different levels during his short life but few had the pleasure of truly knowing him."

Celebrity news website TMZ.com has reported Ledger was sick with pneumonia when he died.

"This is the first I'm hearing that," Lieutenant John Grimpal, from the New York Police Department, told Macquarie Radio.

"The medical examiner, once he or she conducts an autopsy, will determine exactly the cause of death."

*Why* he died doesn't make it any better *that* he died - but I've lost friends to both drugs and natural causes and at least with the natural kind you're not left forever wondering if there is more that you could have done to help.

So for the sake of his loved ones, I hope the latest round of rumors contain more truth than the first round.

~G

Reidman
01-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Drug problem or not, he was still a human being who had great talent. Definitely taken way too young....

RIP...

Kapaibro
01-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Preliminary autopsy inconclusive.

The first news reports had a lot of incorrect information. It wasn't the Olsen sisters home. And I don't know about you, but, if you found me dead in my bedroom, you'd find prescription pills, and over the counter medications all around me too.

MOtorboat
01-24-2008, 02:08 AM

Kapaibro
01-24-2008, 02:56 AM
Who cares?

400 soldiers have died this month.

This thread is for those who do care. If you don't, you have right not to post in here.

Stargazer
01-24-2008, 05:48 AM
Glad he finished Batman atleast .Drugs did him in.

Kapaibro
01-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Glad he finished Batman atleast .Drugs did him in.

The autopsy did not say what did him in. Those tests have yet to be confirmed.

eessydo
01-24-2008, 09:04 AM
If thats the case, what a drama queen. Loser.

If this was suicide or doctor hopping for multiple perscriptions, then I couldn't agree with you more Claymore.

What dumbass is taking 6 perscription medications without consulting a doctor or being monitored by a Primary Physician constantly?

These people are crazy.......this dumbass had it all but Common Sense.

Sorry to you boo hooooers, and I apologize to his family and my sympathies go out to them, but what an idiot this guy is......errr, I mean was

Devilspawn
01-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Suicide or accidental overdose, it's an unnessesary tragedy.

Kapaibro
01-24-2008, 09:45 AM
If this was suicide or doctor hopping for multiple perscriptions, then I couldn't agree with you more Claymore.

What dumbass is taking 6 perscription medications without consulting a doctor or being monitored by a Primary Physician constantly?

These people are crazy.......this dumbass had it all but Common Sense.

Sorry to you boo hooooers, and I apologize to his family and my sympathies go out to them, but what an idiot this guy is......errr, I mean was

What doctor prescribes anything without asking what else a person is taking?

Can we keep the nasty comments to a minimum until it is decided whether or not he actually DID commit suicide.

Until that time this is an accidental death, and no one is to blame.

MOtorboat
01-24-2008, 10:22 AM
These sick ****s are at it again:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22813570/

Church plans to protest Ledger’s memorial

The radical Baptist church known for picketing the funerals of American soldiers who lost their lives in Iraq has announced that they intend to protest Heath Ledger’s stateside memorial service because he played a gay character in “Brokeback Mountain.”

“You cannot live in defiance of God. He (Ledger) got on that big screen with a big, fat message: God is a liar and it's OK to be gay,” said Shirley Phelps in a statement sent out by the Topeka, Kan.-based Westboro Baptist Church.

The only compelling reason to ignore Westboro Baptist’s reprehensible intentions is that highlighting the vast inappropriateness of their thoughts and actions only brings the church more publicity. However, if the members of Westboro Baptist get to speak their minds, every individual who feels that this is an affront to most basic standards of human ethics should be able to as well.

If you don't know who the Westboro Baptist Church is, it's a group of "religious" (And I say that loosely) zealots in Topeka, Kan., that believe that America is going to hell for being open about homosexuality, which they see as, apparently the ultimate sin. Strangely enough, they don't want to leave the country and lose their right to free speech.

Kapaibro
01-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Westboro are the worst examples of 'humanity' and 'christianity' EVAH.

G_Money
01-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Who cares?

400 soldiers have died this month.

Then post about that in the, "Here are the names of the 400 people who died in action that you've never seen, met, felt, or had impact you in any way, but they died for the idea of freedom so they deserve a thread" thread.

I'd post in that too.

I live in Colorado Springs, so every time my friends get back from the front, we get together and toast all their friends who died.

That's what this is - a toast.

So stop being the drunk ******* at the funeral who throws up in the casket.

I don't care if you don't care about him, all I'm asking for is a little class. I know, in the modern internet it's a tough thing to find - just try.

~G

G_Money
01-24-2008, 12:42 PM
P.S.

This is to everyone who feels a need to come into a thread about the fact that someone lost his life and say basically "well **** that guy, he's obviously a dumbass and I didn't like him anyway."

This isn't a flame thread. This isn't a thread in Politics, or Religion.

This is a thread dedicated to the memory of a 28 year old man, the father of a little girl, who didn't make it. We didn't know him, but we wish the best to those who did. We knew his work, and we'll miss it.

That's all.

Please try to keep your self-righteous hard-ons in your pants, or wave them around in some other thread or forum. Yes, you lived and he died. You're the winners. Now be polite and let the rest of us attempt to remember him in some way that doesn't shame us all as human beings.

TIA,

~G

Italianmobstr7
01-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Sad, sad stuff. R.I.P. Heath.

Rex
01-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Sorry G. Terrible thing that he died.

However, if this is another pampered celebrity who OD'd on illegal or legal drugs because they are "so miserable", I dont have any sympathy.
But, it WOULD be nice to wait to hear the results first.....therefore, I am guilty of jumping the gun on judging the guy.
But, with all of the world being force fed constant information on "news" outlets and seeing the self destructive behavior these people participate in at such a sickening level, it is hard not to judge.
Know what I mean g?

broncogirl7
01-24-2008, 02:17 PM
P.S.

This is to everyone who feels a need to come into a thread about the fact that someone lost his life and say basically "well **** that guy, he's obviously a dumbass and I didn't like him anyway."

This isn't a flame thread. This isn't a thread in Politics, or Religion.

This is a thread dedicated to the memory of a 28 year old man, the father of a little girl, who didn't make it. We didn't know him, but we wish the best to those who did. We knew his work, and we'll miss it.

That's all.

Please try to keep your self-righteous hard-ons in your pants, or wave them around in some other thread or forum. Yes, you lived and he died. You're the winners. Now be polite and let the rest of us attempt to remember him in some way that doesn't shame us all as human beings.

TIA,

~G

Well said GMoney! He was a beautiful man, incredible actor, loving father, friend, brother, son. No matter what the cause of his death ends up being...he touched many lives in a positive way and I will pray for his family.

Kapaibro
01-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Sorry G. Terrible thing that he died.

However, if this is another pampered celebrity who OD'd on illegal or legal drugs because they are "so miserable", I dont have any sympathy.
But, it WOULD be nice to wait to hear the results first.....therefore, I am guilty of jumping the gun on judging the guy.
But, with all of the world being force fed constant information on "news" outlets and seeing the self destructive behavior these people participate in at such a sickening level, it is hard not to judge.
Know what I mean g?

One thing is for sure, Ledger was not a pampered celebrity.

He was a hard working actor, who refused to buy into his so-called celebrity status. He sold his property in Sydney because he was tired of the paparazzi. He spent his holidays in his hometown because people there treated him with decency and respect. They respected his right to privacy.

Rex
01-24-2008, 02:24 PM
One thing is for sure, Ledger was not a pampered celebrity.

He was a hard working actor, who refused to buy into his so-called celebrity status. He sold his property in Sydney because he was tired of the paparazzi. He spent his holidays in his hometown because people there treated him with decency and respect. They respected his right to privacy.

I am sure a $24,000/month apartment in SoHo was rough.

Anyway, I am not going to trash him.

Kapaibro
01-24-2008, 02:29 PM
I am sure a $24,000/month apartment in SoHo was rough.

Anyway, I am not going to trash him.

Uh, he earned that money, he is entitled to have somewhere nice to live. Plenty of people do that everyday.

I think of celebrities and especially pampered ones being people like Pairs Hilton, and Nicole Richie. Famous for nothing they actually did, but for the money their family has.
They do nothing, and contribute nothing.

BigDaddyBronco
01-24-2008, 02:33 PM
The one thing I'm really sick and tired of is the media jumping to conclusions about the celebrities and athletes deaths or their legal issues. Everyone is in such a rush to be first with the breaking information that they will speculate and tarnish people's names and images. If they are wrong then the damage is already done and even a simple retraction can't undue the damage.

Randy Moss is a woman beater. - Really? How do we know.
Sean Taylor was killed for his past. - Turned out to be BS.
the examples go on and on

Please can't anyone (mostly the media and talking heads) just wait for the medical examiner to come out with a cause of death before making a damn comment.

broncogirl7
01-24-2008, 02:34 PM
It sounds like there is alot of jealousy because he was a man that made alot of money doing something he loved. Good for him, good for us (we benefited from his acting).

Rex
01-24-2008, 02:39 PM
It sounds like there is alot of jealousy because he was a man that made alot of money doing something he loved. Good for him, good for us (we benefited from his acting).

OK. He really changed the world! Right up there with people curing disease.=

I will say, that it is unfair to jump to conclusions about his drug use. The problem is the media reports it and we are conditioned to these people dying from illegal drug use. With that said, I will reserve judgment on him until they figure it out.

Bronco4ever
01-24-2008, 02:57 PM
These sick ****s are at it again:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22813570/

If you don't know who the Westboro Baptist Church is, it's a group of "religious" (And I say that loosely) zealots in Topeka, Kan., that believe that America is going to hell for being open about homosexuality, which they see as, apparently the ultimate sin. Strangely enough, they don't want to leave the country and lose their right to free speech.

That just makes me sick. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Heath and his death, nobody deserves that treatment. I wonder if anyone like the Patriot Riders will show up to the funeral and protect the sanctity of his funeral.

G_Money
01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
OK. He really changed the world! Right up there with people curing disease.=

I will say, that it is unfair to jump to conclusions about his drug use. The problem is the media reports it and we are conditioned to these people dying from illegal drug use. With that said, I will reserve judgment on him until they figure it out.

I'm with you, I get really tired of the "All Britney, All The Time" extravaganzas that I'm sure will be prying dirt from under her fingernails once she's dead. The papparazzi nature of our whole society now is obnoxious, and it is hard to keep an open mind about a profession that obviously is filled with that many self-centered, self-destructive people.

But the art world has always been full of self-centered, self-destructive people. Most artists are broken people. Whole people rarely reach the top in a profession designed to weed out the healthy and good-natured and promote the back-stabbing and crazy.

And most any genius, in any profession, is cracked. See Bobby Fischer. Being a genius at chess didn't make him a great human being.

But I don't think it's really any less sad to lose a 28 year old millionaire actor than it is to lose a 28 year old bricklayer.

Both are someone's husband/father/son/brother/friend.

Both have careers, and are hopefully having an impact through their work. The bricklayer builds houses and sidewalks while the actor entertains people for money, but it's not the actor's fault that someone is paying him a lot more to do what he does.

I don't know if he suicided or not - nobody does. I don't know what drugs they had him on with those prescriptions nor what the combination would do.

I did have a friend kill himself because the idiot doctor gave him the wrong drug for his brain chemistry and it took him from depressed to suicidal, so I try not to make those calls before-hand.

Most good actors are crazy, at least a little bit. You have to be, to play someone who isn't you convincingly enough to be believed without reservation.

They don't make drugs for that kind of crazy, and if they did actors still couldn't take them because it would kill their ability to perform their job.

Some actors make it through.

Some actors quit the business, or move to directing or writing to get a break from it.

Some actors die.

Some bricklayers die too, and I don't spit on their graves and call them spoiled brats for taking the easy way out.

If the only difference between the actor and the bricklayer is that your respect for them and their memory is based entirely on how much they're paid for their job, then I can accept that.

I just don't choose to use that particular lens to view the quality or worth of a life.

~G

Kapaibro
02-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Toxicology rules Ledger's death accidental
7:39AM Thursday February 07, 2008

NEW YORK - Actor Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of six prescription drugs, with a combination of painkillers, tranquilizers and sleeping aids found in his system, officials said on Wednesday.

"We have concluded that the manner of death is accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications," the New York City Medical Examiner's Office said in a statement.

"Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine," the statement said.

Australian-born Ledger, 28, renowned for his role as a conflicted gay cowboy in the 2005 movie "Brokeback Mountain," was found dead in his Manhattan apartment on January 22, naked and with several prescription drugs nearby.

His death shocked film fans and fellow actors around the world and added his name to the list of movie stars who died young, like Marilyn Monroe and James Dean.

Kim Ledger, the actor's father, said the family was humbled by the outpouring of support from fans around the world and asked to be allowed to grieve privately.

"While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy."

SIX PRESCRIPTION DRUGS

The painkillers oxycodone and hydrocodone are opiates, which are dangerous when combined with anti-anxiety medicines like diazepam, alprazolam and temazepam. According to a Drug Enforcement Administration website, oxycodone is often abused and an acute overdose can cause respiratory arrest and death.

Diazepam is sold under the brand name Valium and alprazolam is sold under the name Xanax. Temazepam is also used as a sleep aid and sold under the name Restoril. Doxylamine, a sleep aid and antihistamine, is an active ingredient in a number of over-the-counter medications, including NyQuil.

Ledger had said in recent interviews he was having trouble sleeping during the filming of the latest Batman film "The Dark Knight" in which he plays The Joker, a homicidal maniac. The film is due out in July.

Andrew Kolodny, a psychiatrist at Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn, said, "If someone has an overdose death with that kind of toxicology report, it's usually an indication that they were either doctor-shopping or purchasing medications either on the street or on the internet."

The handsome star had been romantically linked with a number of actresses and models, periodically spotted in fancy clubs and night spots around New York.

He recently had been in a committed relationship with actress Michelle Williams, the mother of their 2-year-old daughter, Matilda, but the couple split in September. Some reports said Ledger was having difficulty with the breakup.

The couple met during the filming of "Brokeback Mountain," for which Ledger received an Oscar nomination.

Other film credits included "The Patriot" in 2000, "Monster's Ball" in 2001 and "I'm Not There" in 2007.

I'm sure it will be a great relief to his friends, family and fans to know that he did not deliberately take his life.

Cleveland Rocks
02-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Good to hear. I figured as much. Hopefully now people will stop mocking him and such. Yea, I know wishful thinking.

Bronco9798
02-06-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm sure it will be a great relief to his friends, family and fans to know that he did not deliberately take his life.

I find this amusing. He abused the drugs. So yeah, he deliberately took his own life by deliberating taking these drugs. Good grief.

Rex
02-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Good to hear. I figured as much. Hopefully now people will stop mocking him and such. Yea, I know wishful thinking.

"Good to hear". Good to hear that a man that many hold in such high esteem was a drug addict that abused prescription drugs to the point that he killed himself?

I dont get it. If he was not a Hollywood icon, nobody would give 2 shits about him. He would probably be on the streets or heading that way. THIS is what we want our young people of the world to hear about.....a guy that millions of kids probably look up to is just another drug abuser.:rolleyes:

Cleveland Rocks
02-06-2008, 07:40 PM
"Good to hear". Good to hear that a man that many hold in such high esteem was a drug addict that abused prescription drugs to the point that he killed himself?

I dont get it. If he was not a Hollywood icon, nobody would give 2 shits about him. He would probably be on the streets or heading that way. THIS is what we want our young people of the world to hear about.....a guy that millions of kids probably look up to is just another drug abuser.:rolleyes:

He didn't abuse them. It was an accidental concoction. He was ill and he accidentally overdosed on the pills. There was a chemical reaction in combining them that proved lethal. That is what killed him. He didn't take all the pills in an attempt at suicide. Read the reports. It is good to hear that he did not commit suicide and was not after a "high". It was unintentional.

Rex
02-06-2008, 07:47 PM
He didn't abuse them. It was an accidental concoction. He was ill and he accidentally overdosed on the pills. There was a chemical reaction in combining them that proved lethal. That is what killed him. He didn't take all the pills in an attempt at suicide. Read the reports. It is good to hear that he did not commit suicide and was not after a "high". It was unintentional.

He didnt abuse them? He was taking OXYCONTIN!! The most highly controlled pain medication in the world besides morphine....that is reserved for people who have severe pain. Not only that...he added HYDROCODONE and DIAZEPAM (Valium)....AND 3 other anxiety/sleeping medications. If that is not abuse, then I am not a white male.

I have seen many many people in my career who abuse pain medications....but I doubt that I have EVER seen anyone that abuses this quantity of controlled substances (although legal prescription drugs). Whatever quack doctor was prescribing them for him should be in jail.
Accidental......of course. Abuse.....definately.

Cleveland Rocks
02-06-2008, 07:52 PM
He didnt abuse them? He was taking OXYCONTIN!! The most highly controlled pain medication in the world besides morphine....that is reserved for people who have severe pain. Not only that...he added HYDROCODONE and DIAZEPAM (Valium)....AND 3 other anxiety/sleeping medications. If that is not abuse, then I am not a white male.

I have seen many many people in my career who abuse pain medications....but I doubt that I have EVER seen anyone that abuses this quantity of controlled substances (although legal prescription drugs). Whatever quack doctor was prescribing them for him should be in jail.
Accidental......of course. Abuse.....definately.

He was sick (flu). Had a sleeping disorder. Had been in a nervous state due to the lack of sleep as well as the long hours he was working. I don't think it is a reach at all to see that the drugs he was taking to calm himself, to sleep, and to deal with his illness. I think it is rather blatant that it was an accidental concuction and he did not intend whatsoever in dying. He intended on dealing with his issues that he had (sleep disorder, nervousness, flu). He took the pills that were meant to help him but the mix of them all proved to be lethal something that somebody outside the medical field would not be aware of.

Rex
02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
He was sick (flu). Had a sleeping disorder. Had been in a nervous state due to the lack of sleep as well as the long hours he was working. I don't think it is a reach at all to see that the drugs he was taking to calm himself, to sleep, and to deal with his illness. I think it is rather blatant that it was an accidental concuction and he did not intend whatsoever in dying. He intended on dealing with his issues that he had (sleep disorder, nervousness, flu). He took the pills that were meant to help him but the mix of them all proved to be lethal something that somebody outside the medical field would not be aware of.

Sir,
Oxycontin and Hydrocodone are not prescribed for flu, anxiety, insomnia, or any of the above. They are prescription, narcotic pain medications used for people in severe pain.....that are often abused and widely sought after by drug abusers.

Cleveland Rocks
02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Sir,
Oxycontin and Hydrocodone are not prescribed for flu, anxiety, insomnia, or any of the above. They are prescription, narcotic pain medications used for people in severe pain.....that are often abused and widely sought after by drug abusers.

I'm sure there was a valid reason other than "Drug Abuse" for them to have been in his system. They are prescription drugs as you stated and as we know he went to Europe for filming and recieved some drugs there.

Benetto
02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Anyone else think he commited suicide?

Cleveland Rocks
02-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Anyone else think he commited suicide?

He did not commit suicide. He did not leave a note. Not everyone would know that their drugs would have such a reaction unless they did deep research on their drugs. Most people when they are prescribed drugs they do not ask questions and just take them because their doctor prescribed them. Unless the person has some knowledge of the drug industry they would not know there would be complications. Also, Ledger as previously stated recieved prescription drugs in both the United States and while filming in Europe.

Benetto
02-06-2008, 08:03 PM
He did not commit suicide. He did not leave a note. Not everyone would know that their drugs would have such a reaction unless they did deep research on their drugs. Most people when they are prescribed drugs they do not ask questions and just take them because their doctor prescribed them. Unless the person has some knowledge of the drug industry they would not know there would be complications. Also, Ledger as previously stated recieved prescription drugs in both the United States and while filming in Europe.

Wasn't he binging on anti-depressants?

Not all suicidals leave notes or show signs of suicide.

broncogirl7
02-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Suicidal people don't take a pill of each drug to commit suicide, they take handfuls of the drugs. It was an accidental overdose by someone who was not educated on the dangers of mixing drugs. Wake-up call for all to always disclose every drug you take to every doctor you go to. It is our responsibility to question drug interaction because we aren't necessarily going to get that info upfront unless you ask the doctor and then do follow-up question to the pharmacist. *You should also include any over-the-counter drugs you take...* JMO.

Benetto
02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Suicidal people don't take a pill of each drug to commit suicide, they take handfuls of the drugs. It was an accidental overdose by someone who was not educated on the dangers of mixing drugs. Wake-up call for all to always disclose every drug you take to every doctor you go to. It is our responsibility to question drug interaction because we aren't necessarily going to get that info upfront unless you ask the doctor and then do follow-up question to the pharmacist. *You should also include any over-the-counter drugs you take...* JMO.

I agree with that.

Rex
02-06-2008, 08:23 PM

Agreed.

Now go tell any doctor of legitimate credentials that you are taking 3 sleeping medications, valium, oxycontin,and hydrocodone. See what reaction you get.

Bronco9798
02-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I had to laugh at some of these posts. Next time I get the flu, I'm taking 6 types of medications...LMAO....Some people on here friggin amaze me....I'm in tears over here.

Rex
02-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I had to laugh at some of these posts. Next time I get the flu, I'm taking 6 types of medications...LMAO....Some people on here friggin amaze me....I'm in tears over here.

Would you slap on a Ben Gay patch?:D

Bronco9798
02-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Would you slap on a Ben Gay patch?:D

Yeah with all them other concoctions. I'm sure my back pain would be gone, along with my life....

Watchthemiddle
02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm sure there was a valid reason other than "Drug Abuse" for them to have been in his system. They are prescription drugs as you stated and as we know he went to Europe for filming and recieved some drugs there.

If it weren't for "drug abuse" what other reason is there to have that much in your system?

This is Hollywood. These people OD everyday. They are addicted to everything.

broncogirl7
02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Agreed.

Now go tell any doctor of legitimate credentials that you are taking 3 sleeping medications, valium, oxycontin,and hydrocodone. See what reaction you get.

Legitimate doctors would tell you...hopefully, that they should not be mixed.
With multiple sclerosis, you are given many drugs and I will tell you from experience that they never tell you drug interaction unless you ask and then Ialways talk to the pharmacist. I also have to take oxycontin and hydrocodone, as well as a sleep med and was never told not to mix. *I don't have to do pain meds all the time, I only take when it's so bad that I am unable to walk or see.* Fortunately, I have many fellow sufferers that told me not to mix and then I followed that up with the pharmacist who was pretty pissed that the doctor didn't cover that info. Again, it will boil down to accountability. You are your best advocate, so question, question, question. Unfortunately many people hold their doctors on pedestals and will just do what the doctor says instead of questioning why? If the doctor doesn't like your questions...change doctors.

MOtorboat
02-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Legitimate doctors would tell you...hopefully, that they should not be mixed.
With multiple sclerosis, you are given many drugs and I will tell you from experience that they never tell you drug interaction unless you ask and then Ialways talk to the pharmacist. I also have to take oxycontin and hydrocodone, as well as a sleep med and was never told not to mix. *I don't have to do pain meds all the time, I only take when it's so bad that I am unable to walk or see.* Fortunately, I have many fellow sufferers that told me not to mix and then I followed that up with the pharmacist who was pretty pissed that the doctor didn't cover that info. Again, it will boil down to accountability. You are your best advocate, so question, question, question. Unfortunately many people hold their doctors on pedestals and will just do what the doctor says instead of questioning why? If the doctor doesn't like your questions...change doctors.

You have a 100 percent legitimate reason for having these drugs. From everything I'm gathering, and from what cswil has divulged about these specific drugs, Heath Ledger did not.

Bronco9798
02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
You have a 100 percent legitimate reason for having these drugs. From everything I'm gathering, and from what cswil has divulged about these specific drugs, Heath Ledger did not.

You think? lol....:D

slim
02-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Good Lord...you people are so immature.

broncogirl7
02-06-2008, 09:22 PM

Thanks MB. I will reserve judgement about the pain meds as I don't know why he was taking them and you certainly wouldn't take them for the flu. I don't know, maybe he had an injury or something that hasn't been disclosed.

slim
02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks MB. I will reserve judgement about the pain meds as I don't know why he was taking them and you certainly wouldn't take them for the flu. I don't know, maybe he had an injury or something that hasn't been disclosed.

Or maybe he was addicted.

MOtorboat

You take advil for back pain, not that type of shit. You're right, if there was some sort of long-term injury that hasn't been divulged, sure, maybe...but I doubt it.

Bronco9798
Good Lord...you people are so immature.

HaHa,,Nice avy btw...

Rex
02-06-2008, 09:25 PM
BG...this is no indictment on people that take Oxycontin, etc for legit reasons. Regardless, I have a hard time believing you would take all 3, let alone 6 together.

broncogirl7
02-06-2008, 09:29 PM
BG...this is no indictment on people that take Oxycontin, etc for legit reasons. Regardless, I have a hard time believing you would take all 3, let alone 6 together.

Speaking strictly for myself...when the pain is unbearable, I could make a mistake. You just don't think clearly when it gets that bad. I have some safety nets in place if it's that bad and they taught us color-coding of the vials and to not store them in the same area. Kind of stupid stuff, but I believe it probably has saved my life on numerous occassions.

BeefStew25
02-06-2008, 09:50 PM
As a gay man, he meant little to me because he faked his gayness.

OB
02-06-2008, 10:39 PM
If you truly have a problem - youre doctor would be aware of any current medications you are on and would tell you what to take and what not to take

He was self medicating - ie addicted - we all self medicate in ways - some are just more harmful than others

To me he is not less of a person for being an addict but he also not more of a person because he was famous

NameUsedBefore
02-07-2008, 12:57 AM
If you truly have a problem - youre doctor would be aware of any current medications you are on and would tell you what to take and what not to take

He was self medicating - ie addicted - we all self medicate in ways - some are just more harmful than others

To me he is not less of a person for being an addict but he also not more of a person because he was famous

But he was still a person either way.

BeefStew25
02-07-2008, 01:05 AM
But he was still a person either way.

Flip through the newspaper. Plenty of better people have died from more noble and anonymous causes than this jackass.

sneakers
02-07-2008, 01:45 AM
Speaking strictly for myself...when the pain is unbearable, I could make a mistake. You just don't think clearly when it gets that bad. I have some safety nets in place if it's that bad and they taught us color-coding of the vials and to not store them in the same area. Kind of stupid stuff, but I believe it probably has saved my life on numerous occassions.

I don't know how you could have so much pain that would make you take more than 1 of those guys.....I was passing a kidney stone, and one of those guys was enough to kill the pain and make me happy...and sleepy.

Kapaibro
02-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Please do not use this thread to bash Heath. This is for those who want to remember an actor who they enjoyed watching.

Kapaibro
02-07-2008, 02:37 AM
Flip through the newspaper. Plenty of better people have died from more noble and anonymous causes than this jackass.

So get out of here, and go start a thread for them.

This thread is dedicated to Heath.

You don't like him? Fine. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to post in here.

sneakers
02-07-2008, 04:32 AM

You don't like him? Fine. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to post in here.

I haven't seen Kap so mad since the whole CP brothel thing...:shocked:

broncogirl7
02-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't know how you could have so much pain that would make you take more than 1 of those guys.....I was passing a kidney stone, and one of those guys was enough to kill the pain and make me happy...and sleepy.

Passing a stone is hopefully a one-time deal. MS pain is chronic, every day pain. Some days are worse than others. There are many MS sufferers who actually commnt suicide because there is no cure and the pain controls their life. Depending on the day, it's not unusual to take more than one of "those" pills.
Again, we don't know what Heath was taking those pain pills for and I believe it was legitimate. They have chosen not to disclose that information and that is the families right. I do honor Heath, as well as many others who have died. The reason why we care about Heath is that he has indeed been in the limelite and we have been able to enjoy his ability and growth as an actor.
R.I.P. Heath...you will always be my Patriot.

BeefStew25
02-07-2008, 11:24 AM

Can I start a "Young Actor Sacrifices Life and Family to Deal With Pain of Playing Pretend" thread? And then maybe we all can do some 'hero' worshiping?

MHCBill
02-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Poor Heath Ledger... not.

Let's feel real pain for the poor families that have lost true heroes that serve in the armed forces.

Cleveland Rocks
02-07-2008, 11:50 AM
You people want to bash him?

Go make your own thread. Don't go into somebody else's thread and ruin it.

Rex
02-07-2008, 11:51 AM

Kind of like morphing GW Bush and Hitler in the other thread....ehh DB?

Cleveland Rocks
02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Kind of like morphing GW Bush and Hitler in the other thread....ehh DB?

That's another thread where you can MORPH people. If people don't like who people MORPH they have a problem. If you don't like that type of thing don't go into that place. Opt out of it. I think you are too insecure for the adult portion of this board.

BigDaddyBronco
02-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Here is to Heath Ledger.

:beer:

RIP.

Good job going out like Hendrix, Joplin, etc. Now you'll be remembered longer than your movies.

Ricky
02-07-2008, 12:11 PM
That's another thread where you can MORPH people. If people don't like who people MORPH they have a problem. If you don't like that type of thing don't go into that place. Opt out of it. I think you are too insecure for the adult portion of this board.

Is arguing helping either side get their point across? There are too many people that want to argue their point instead of talking about it. It is a shame Heath died. But it seems he may have lived a questionable lifestyle that may have contributed to his untimely demise. The world is not a better place with him gone. But there will be many who will not mourn his loss either.

Broncolingus
02-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I wonder if the overdose was really accidental or "accidental."

Seems like most people are split 50/50 on whether it was a mistake or on purpose...

Regardless, sad to see anyone that age go...28's just so friggin young and with a beautiful kid too...

MHCBill
02-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I wonder if the overdose was really accidental or "accidental."

Seems like most people are split 50/50 on whether it was a mistake or on purpose...

Regardless, sad to see anyone that age go...28's just so friggin young and with a beautiful kid too...

Screw Heath Ledger's kid!

Heath Ledger didn't care enough about his freakin' kid to not commit suicide or OD on drugs then why should I?

I feel bad for the kids who's Dads died today in Iraq.

**** Heath Ledger!

BeefStew25
02-07-2008, 12:20 PM

Ah, the whole 'I disagree with your view, so take it elsewhere' riff?

Sad he died. Not really for him though. For his daughter, sure. Pick up the newspaper, CR. Plenty of tradgedies everyday.

BeefStew25
02-07-2008, 12:21 PM
The world is not a better place with him gone.

It is if he was going to bring more kids into the world before he kicked the bucket.

frauschieze
02-07-2008, 12:52 PM

Heath Ledger didn't care enough about his freakin' kid to not commit suicide or OD on drugs then why should I?

**** Heath Ledger!

Have some compassion. Kids don't choose their parents. I don't care one way or another about Heath Ledger. But his child should not be held in less regard just because her daddy was a douche.

BigDaddyBronco
02-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Have some compassion. Kids don't choose their parents. I don't care one way or another about Heath Ledger. But his child should not be held in less regard just because her daddy was a douche.
I would hate for my kids to be judged by my life. Let them be judged when it's their turn.

MHCBill
02-07-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm not judging his kid.

There's no way in hell I should feel anything for that kid just because her father CHOSE to die.

frauschieze
02-07-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm not judging his kid.

There's no way in hell I should feel anything for that kid just because her father CHOSE to die.

She still gets to grow up without a dad by no fault of her own.

NameUsedBefore
02-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I really don't understand all this negative sentiment for Ledger. I don't follow the "celebrity news" much, did he do something bad?

BigDaddyBronco
02-07-2008, 03:05 PM
I really don't understand all this negative sentiment for Ledger. I don't follow the "celebrity news" much, did he do something bad?
Some people have a hard time crying for someone who made some pretty bad life choices and ended up ODing.

It's the whole celebrity worship thing rubbing some the wrong way.

OB
02-07-2008, 03:06 PM

**** Heath Ledger!

I feel bad for ANY kid whos dad was taken from them - due to no fault of their own (if there ever is any, except maybe the Mendez bros) but seriously - thats just plain out n out cruel dude - He may not have cared - doesnt mean we shouldnt :beer:

OB
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM

See my av - why should people care more about his OD than the parent who OD's down the street and left three kids, a widow and NO money -

All of a sudden its boo freakin whoo cause its someone famous- screw that - I feel bad for those he left behind - i do not feel any more remorse on his behalf than I do any other ****nut who does the same thing

schnooks1
02-07-2008, 03:14 PM
They said it was an accidental overdose and I know it can happen. After I had back surgery 7 years ago, I got pnemonia. I remember (sort of) waking up from a pain pill induced sleep, on antibiotics, steriods (for breathing) anti inflamatories and trying to take more pain pills because my cough was so painful due to my back surgery. If my husband had not been on top of things I probably would have overdosed myself. Had I been alone and recovering, well...

I don't know about Heath Ledger, or his past addictions, but he had an appointment to have a massage, and I just can't imagine anyone taking their life before the massage. :confused:What would the point be to that one??

It sounds to me like a very bad accident, someone that couldn't sleep well, sick, and in pain for some reason trying to get rest. He was alone, and maybe he just forgot which pill he took when??!! Whatever the reason it does not sound like he killed himself to me. Just my opinion!:coffee:

G_Money

**** Heath Ledger!

So as one of the tens of thousands of people who die each year due to prescription drug reactions, Heath Ledger deserves your scorn and you can piss all over his family. I take it this is because he didn't become a US citizen, join the military, and have the decency to die someplace far away from shrapnel wounds?

Well, it's a free country, thanks to those men in uniform who have died defending your right to be a self-righteous *****.

I still wish one of the grieving mothers of any young dead person could make you understand that death is death, and nothing about being shot in a desert makes it more palatable than a car accident, or a bad drug cocktail, or a hospital infection, or a stroke, or a heart attack.

Every loss is just that - a loss. I'll bet money I've been to more soldiers' funerals than you have, but their being sacrificed on the altar of freedom doesn't make it better.

They're still gone.

~G

Kapaibro
I'm not judging his kid.

He did not CHOSE to die. It was an accidental overdose, not suicide.

OB
02-07-2008, 03:21 PM
He did not CHOSE to die. It was an accidental overdose, not suicide.

Kap - now no one knows that to be a fact - seriously - do you KNOW that to be a certain fact

Ive stated many times - most people who have any "dealings" with Rx meds KNOWS you dont mix xanax and hydrocodone - even in the slightest form - i find it very hard to believe someone of his stature didnt know that - and like I said earlier - if ONE doctor had prescribed his meds he would have warned him NEVER to mix them - therefore, if he was getting meds from different docs, it was prolly cause his one doc wouldnt prescribe him what he wanted

Do you know how easy it is to doctor shop here - in any town in any city if you go to enough docs with the right "symptoms" they will prescribe you what you were looking for - and you dont even have to be rich or famous - imagine what a doc would do for you if you were both

I knew a lady who was PRESCRIBED hydrocodone during her pregnancy - COME ON - spare me - she went around telling everyone it was safe -

Her child came out with lazy eyes and hearing problems - and thats just the beginning since he is barely 3 mths old

Kapaibro
02-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Kap - now no one knows that to be a fact - seriously - do you KNOW that to be a certain fact

Ive stated many times - most people who have any "dealings" with Rx meds KNOWS you dont mix xanax and hydrocodone - even in the slightest form - i find it very hard to believe someone of his stature didnt know that - and like I said earlier - if ONE doctor had prescribed his meds he would have warned him NEVER to mix them - therefore, if he was getting meds from different docs, it was prolly cause his one doc wouldnt prescribe him what he wanted

Do you know how easy it is to doctor shop here - in any town in any city if you go to enough docs with the right "symptoms" they will prescribe you what you were looking for - and you dont even have to be rich or famous - imagine what a doc would do for you if you were both

I knew a lady who was PRESCRIBED hydrocodone during her pregnancy - COME ON - spare me - she went around telling everyone it was safe -

Her child came out with lazy eyes and hearing problems - and thats just the beginning since he is barely 3 mths old

Well no one knows for a FACT that he committed suicide, and diddn't give a**** about his kid, but that doesn't stop the obnoxious ****s coming in here and bashing him now, does it?

NO!

The official autopsy says it's an accident, and as you say, NONE of us have anything to refute that apart from being arseholes.

So I'll say it again, get out if all you're going to do is bash!

topscribe
02-08-2008, 02:27 AM
At the thread-starter's request, I have reopened this thread.

Now, we've heard all about what kind of jerk Ledger was and everything. Let's
see if we can get some intelligent posting out of this.

-----

BeefStew25
02-08-2008, 07:47 AM
So as one of the tens of thousands of people who die each year due to prescription drug reactions, Heath Ledger deserves your scorn and you can piss all over his family. I take it this is because he didn't become a US citizen, join the military, and have the decency to die someplace far away from shrapnel wounds?

Well, it's a free country, thanks to those men in uniform who have died defending your right to be a self-righteous *****.

I still wish one of the grieving mothers of any young dead person could make you understand that death is death, and nothing about being shot in a desert makes it more palatable than a car accident, or a bad drug cocktail, or a hospital infection, or a stroke, or a heart attack.

Every loss is just that - a loss. I'll bet money I've been to more soldiers' funerals than you have, but their being sacrificed on the altar of freedom doesn't make it better.

They're still gone.

~G

I guess none of those other deaths are reported by the media. Yeah it sucks, but it doesn't anymore than if he wasn't famous. That is my point.

Unless you want me to post each and every obit of anyone that died before their time, you guys come across as hypocrites.

Mike
02-08-2008, 09:00 AM
This is what is in Kapaibro's first post in this thread...

Please do not use this thread to express your opinions on people who commit suicide, or do drugs. This thread is for those who wish to remember a talented young man.

We understand people have strong feelings about the situation. However, as stated in the original post, this is not the thread to demean/degrade the life and death of Ledger.

If you wish to start a thread discussing people who commit suicide/OD then do so. But we would appreciate it if you would be respectful enough to do as Kapaibro has asked.

broncogirl7
02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
This is what is in Kapaibro's first post in this thread...

We understand people have strong feelings about the situation. However, as stated in the original post, this is not the thread to demean/degrade the life and death of Ledger.

If you wish to start a thread discussing people who commit suicide/OD then do so. But we would appreciate it if you would be respectful enough to do as Kapaibro has asked.

Thank you Mike.

G_Money
02-08-2008, 11:43 AM
I guess none of those other deaths are reported by the media. Yeah it sucks, but it doesn't anymore than if he wasn't famous. That is my point.

Unless you want me to post each and every obit of anyone that died before their time, you guys come across as hypocrites.

Why? Do you cry every time a homeless person dies of a heart attack, or is it just when Uncle Nick kicks over from one? Those of us trying to keep this thread respectful do so because we all shared some sort of common ground in our appreciation of Ledger's gifts, much as many of us would if a Bronco passed tomorrow.

Is it disrespectful to nameless heart attack victims and victims of gang violence to mourn the passing of D-Will and Nash and to share stories of our memories of them? Or is that normal and respectful behavior, to give a few moments in remembrance to someone who entertained you with his life's pursuit?

I enjoyed Heath Ledger's work. I have several hours of it on my shelf. Because I know and appreciate his work I feel more regret about his death than about the death of someone who has never impacted my life in any way.

I've had soldiers I know die in combat, and friends of the soldiers I know. I lost my best friend to a heart attack at 25. I've had relatives die, and friends commit suicide. I've had patients and co-workers pass.

Heath isn't in that category. He's not somebody I knew, not somebody I shared anything with. But I did share his movies with friends, and created memories and conversations based off of his work.

He's far less than a friend, but still more than a random person. It's not really much different than Jim Henson or Stevie Ray Vaughn. Someone whose work I appreciated is gone.

So you toast them, and wish their families well, because there are memories that I will have forever that are linked to their work.

That's not hypocritical - that's life. Hypocritical would be people who bring up soldiers dying whenever it suits their message, but have never donated to a wounded soldiers fund, or worked rehab with the boys who make it back alive but broken, or lit candles and grieved with the family members who did lose a hero. I'm not putting anyone in this thread in that category, but I do get that a lot - the using of soldiers' deaths to support a message, but without any of the actions that should follow if their deaths mean that much to you.

I guess I just hate it when celebrity somehow makes someone's life less meaningful or important, just as you hate it when celebrity singles them out amongst the crowd of similar tragedies.

And if you don't understand, that's totally fine - just try to not understand in a way that's less evocative of talk radio, the Jerry Springer show, and Fred-Phelpsian rhetoric.

Respect and courtesy is so very lacking these days - all I'm asking for is a little of both in this thread.

Thanks,

~G

BeefStew25
02-08-2008, 11:50 AM
I guess I just don't have a connection with performers. Maybe it is the fake drama. The Sean Penn 'My life is tortured' crap.

MHCBill
02-08-2008, 11:53 AM

They're still gone.

~G
Sorry G, but you're wrong.

They deserve so much more than anything Heath Ledger has been given.

G_Money
02-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I can understand that. Fake drama annoys the bajeezus outta me.

Still, I connect with broken people - and most artists are broken people.

A lot of the time they annoy the hell outta me, because if they'd just shut up and work on their lives they could be much happier, better people - but I still identify with them.

Those of us who have been broken are never really made whole again, so we always identify with the fractures in others.

Former drug users are normally the first to give current drug users the benefit of the doubt. "Well I made it out, so it can be done, and if that guy would just put down the crack pipe his life could be amazing."

We psychos have the same POV about other psychos. "Man, if that dude would just get away from his crowd and stay alive he could be amazing."

Some of us just don't make it.

~G

BeefStew25
02-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I can understand that. Fake drama annoys the bajeezus outta me.

Still, I connect with broken people - and most artists are broken people.

A lot of the time they annoy the hell outta me, because if they'd just shut up and work on their lives they could be much happier, better people - but I still identify with them.

Those of us who have been broken are never really made whole again, so we always identify with the fractures in others.

Former drug users are normally the first to give current drug users the benefit of the doubt. "Well I made it out, so it can be done, and if that guy would just put down the crack pipe his life could be amazing."

We psychos have the same POV about other psychos. "Man, if that dude would just get away from his crowd and stay alive he could be amazing."

Some of us just don't make it.

~G

He had every resource to make himself whole. He had a 2 year old reason.

That is why, in maybe my flawed internal judgement, he is below vets, soldiers, homeless, etc.

I guess it also proves just because you might think someone may have everything, they likely don't.

I've never shared this with anyone here, but I only have one testicle.

topscribe
02-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Why? Do you cry every time a homeless person dies of a heart attack, or is it just when Uncle Nick kicks over from one? Those of us trying to keep this thread respectful do so because we all shared some sort of common ground in our appreciation of Ledger's gifts, much as many of us would if a Bronco passed tomorrow.

Is it disrespectful to nameless heart attack victims and victims of gang violence to mourn the passing of D-Will and Nash and to share stories of our memories of them? Or is that normal and respectful behavior, to give a few moments in remembrance to someone who entertained you with his life's pursuit?

I enjoyed Heath Ledger's work. I have several hours of it on my shelf. Because I know and appreciate his work I feel more regret about his death than about the death of someone who has never impacted my life in any way.

I've had soldiers I know die in combat, and friends of the soldiers I know. I lost my best friend to a heart attack at 25. I've had relatives die, and friends commit suicide. I've had patients and co-workers pass.

Heath isn't in that category. He's not somebody I knew, not somebody I shared anything with. But I did share his movies with friends, and created memories and conversations based off of his work.

He's far less than a friend, but still more than a random person. It's not really much different than Jim Henson or Stevie Ray Vaughn. Someone whose work I appreciated is gone.

So you toast them, and wish their families well, because there are memories that I will have forever that are linked to their work.

That's not hypocritical - that's life. Hypocritical would be people who bring up soldiers dying whenever it suits their message, but have never donated to a wounded soldiers fund, or worked rehab with the boys who make it back alive but broken, or lit candles and grieved with the family members who did lose a hero. I'm not putting anyone in this thread in that category, but I do get that a lot - the using of soldiers' deaths to support a message, but without any of the actions that should follow if their deaths mean that much to you.

I guess I just hate it when celebrity somehow makes someone's life less meaningful or important, just as you hate it when celebrity singles them out amongst the crowd of similar tragedies.

And if you don't understand, that's totally fine - just try to not understand in a way that's less evocative of talk radio, the Jerry Springer show, and Fred-Phelpsian rhetoric.

Respect and courtesy is so very lacking these days - all I'm asking for is a little of both in this thread.

Thanks,

~G

^^^ This is required reading in this thread. Your prerequisite to going any further here.

-----