PDA

View Full Version : Along The Defensive Line.........

WARHORSE
01-22-2008, 02:32 AM
Looking at the possibilities at Dline from this years draft, and knowing somewhat the mindset of the Broncos in what determines their choices in the draft, lets look at the Dline.

Who will Denver target for the Dline? Someone who they believe will come in and start. By that notion, lets look at what we got:

Defensive End Depth Chart:

Starters: Engleberger and Dumerville
Second string: Crowder, Moss
Third string: Birdine, Carrington

Although we had Ebenezer Ekuban, hes coming off a serious injury, and is a free agent.

Thoughts: Ekubans status is, hes in his 9th year and we dont know what the prognosis is right now. If we did resign him, what would we expect from him in terms of production? Since he is not someone we can say is going to come back and be the first string starter, we have to assume he will be in a backup role. Hence, the starters are still to be listed as Engleberger and Dumerville.
Moss and Crowder: No doubt Denver wants one of these guys to take over a starting spot. At defensive end, can these guys unseat Berger and Dumerville? I think one of them will take over for Berger, and it will probably be Crowder due to Moss injury. We really need Moss to recover well, and I think he will. Hopefully, he looking to add weight as he recuperates.

Will Denver draft a DE? Looking at this scene, unless they add someone in the off season, Denver could very well target another DE.

Defensive Tackle Depth Chart:

Starters: Alvin McKinney, Marcus Thomas
Second string: Kenney Peterson, Josh Mallard
Third string: S. Harris

Thoughts: Marcus is young, but gained valuable playing time. Is he picking things up mentally? McKinney is not starting material. Mallard is only 259 lbs, and Peterson is also not starting material. Would someone in the draft unseat either of the starters? At this point, yes. Mallard showed flashes of ability, but undoubtedly needs to add weight if he is to stay.

Will Denver look to add a DT in the draft? I would think they need to add at least two, unless they add someone in FAgency.

On a side note, Sedrick Ellis has been tearing it up at the senior bowl. They said he has been unblockable, spending all his time in the backfield on the offensive side of the ball.

dogfish
01-22-2008, 04:16 AM
my preference would be to bring in corey williams in free agency, and then draft another DT who can develop at his own pace instead of being forced into the starting lineup right away. . . i'd love a big hoss like red bryant or dre moore, but we'll see. . .

MHCBill
01-22-2008, 09:11 AM
See sig below...

mclark
01-22-2008, 12:37 PM

Starters: Engleberger and Dumerville
Third string: Birdine, Carrington

Although we had Ebenezer Ekuban, hes coming off a serious injury, and is a free agent.

Thoughts: Ekubans status is, hes in his 9th year and we dont know what the prognosis is right now. If we did resign him, what would we expect from him in terms of production?

Starters: Alvin McKinney, Marcus Thomas
Second string: Kenney Peterson, Josh Mallard
Third string: S. Harris

I'm counting on Ekuban coming back. Our doctors will know more about whether he'll be ready to contribute again. Here's how I see defensive end:

Starters: Ekuban and Dumerville/Crowder
Third string: Engelberger

If Ekuban isn't going to make it back with us, then we'll have to add someone. (If Engelberger starts, we've taken a step back.)

Defensive tackle: we need to add someone so that McKinney is a back-up. Sedrick Ellis would be wonderful, but he's a top-7 pick I'm afraid. But we'll need a quality DT in the first or second round (Balmer, Sims, or someone.)

Starters: Alvin McKinney/draft pick, Marcus Thomas
Second string: Kenney Peterson, Alvin McKinney
Third string: S. Harris, Josh Mallard

mclark
01-22-2008, 12:39 PM
See sig below...

MHCBill: which Johnson is that at wide receiver?

MHCBill
01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Bryant, depending on how the Walker scenario plays out.

But, if Clayton becomes available from Tampa I may lean towards him.

By the way, we need to get bigger on the Dline and starting Doom won't do it. Peterson has played DE before and he would be much more valuable there helping to stop the run than getting used as a back-up DT. IMO

Requiem / The Dagda
01-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Red Bryant? Pass. :(

G_Money
01-22-2008, 01:40 PM
I like Ellis, but I don't think he'll be there. The only two DTs I like in the 1st are Dorsey and Ellis, so I don't go with another one.

I think Dre Moore could do good things, but he's an inconsistent fool at times. If Balmer's there in the 2nd I'd take him, but I don't think he will be. Balmer's motor still concerns me.

I don't like Okam at the slot he'll likely go at, Pressley is interesting but fragile IIRC and not exactly a run-stopper, and Bryant...

I just hate the # of DTs who have the tag "inconsistent motor" attached to them. I know it's hard to go every play, but going once every set of downs like some of these guys do just irritates me.

IMO we're better off taking a kid like Harrison who might drop - if fully healthy he could be a force. From what I remember from last year he was a damn wall against the run, something even Ellis can't claim to be.

Other than that...see what the kids we drafted last year can do, and shore up the other positions on D. Crowder's high ankle sprain definitely limited his contributions for part of the year, MT was working his way back into playing after being off a year and playing in the wrong system besides, Moss broke his leg...

They all have plenty of room for improvement this season. I want some draftpicks in positions where I can't expect a lot of improvement (LB, S).

~G

mclark
01-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Bryant, depending on how the Walker scenario plays out.

But, if Clayton becomes available from Tampa I may lean towards him.

By the way, we need to get bigger on the Dline and starting Doom won't do it. Peterson has played DE before and he would be much more valuable there helping to stop the run than getting used as a back-up DT. IMO

I like your defensive lineup. I'm not sure Red Bryant is the best person in the middle BUT it's a step in the right direction. Phillips and Goff look nice pencilled in there. Rebuilding the middle of our defense is a priority.

MHCBill
01-22-2008, 02:39 PM
The only way I see this defense getting better is with youth, an aggressive scheme, and more talent.

As bad as the defense was last season I don't feel it can be fixed in one year. I've said it before and I'll say it again... 2009 is the season to be striving for. We need some more patience. Continue the recent trend of drafting well (signing rookie FA's) and bring in one or two free agents in value positions. (i.e. Oline, depth, ST's, etc.)

The defense starts with the front and we have to get bigger, stronger, and adjust to a penetrative scheme. Attack their QB, their offensive line, and their pass protection. Stop the run then bring heat with creative, well timed blitzes.

My sig below is best case scenario in my opinion. Our interior offensive line is not a weakness. Forget about bringing in a OG as a free agent. Not a huge need and very expensive. Not great depth on the free agent market for OT's where we do need some help. Gross would be my first choice to replace Pears, but he is not as productive at LT. We probably won't be able to sign him, but again he's my first choice. We could OT in the draft first round, but why did we draft Harris. I think we need to let him play next season and hope we made a good pick. We would love to have him develop for another year, but unfortunately that won't be able to happen.

Skill positions we're fine. We may need to bring in a WR free agent depending on Walker's issue, but I would be very happy with Bryant Johnson or Michael Clayton as our #2 WR. Stokely in the slot and either draft late a WR or sign a veteran for depth cheaply.

Hall and Young should stay on the squad and be looked at as our two-headed running back. Neither appears to be 30 carries a game backs, but I think they would both be great with 15-20 carries per game. Again, draft a running back late or sign a cheap veteran for depth.

Dline must get better. We need to add size and strength. Hopefully Slowick will add the right scheme. Penetrate and attack! Stop the run and in passing situations let Doom and Moss fly!

Peterson, Crowder, and Thomas are already on the roster so we must add depth through the draft. Mckinley is a back-up. Whatever DT we draft unfortunately will be thrown into the fire imeediately due to the lack of DT depth we have. However, if he is taught to attack a gap the learning curve should be easier. DO NOT sign a free agent DT for big money. In my opinion, waste of money. DT's are notorious for getting big paydays and then never showing up. Let's not make a mistake here. BTW, should have never gotten rid of Warren. He wasn't an All-Pro, but would make DT less of a problem right now.

Linebackers need a major overhaul. Let DJ go back to weak-side so he can utilize is athletic ability to make the defense more dynamic. Draft a big, physical MLB like Goff or Butler and let them learn on the job. Like I said, 2008 is not the end game... 2009 is the future.

Lastly, add a playmaker in the first round... Phillips. It's a position of need, their is good value with this pick at #12, and he's a playmaker. Lynch can stay or go, but whatever that turns out to be we need Phillips on the field from the get go. Lynch at SS and Phillips at FS or Abdullah at SS and Phillips at FS.

We have turned the offense in the right direction through the recent drafts... Cutler, Hall, Young, Marshall, Scheffler, Kuper, Myers, Harris it's now time to keep reworking the defense through the draft.

2009, not 2008!!!

mclark
01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
The only way I see this defense getting better is with youth, an aggressive scheme, and more talent.

As bad as the defense was last season I don't feel it can be fixed in one year. I've said it before and I'll say it again... 2009 is the season to be striving for. We need some more patience. Continue the recent trend of drafting well (signing rookie FA's) and bring in one or two free agents in value positions. (i.e. Oline, depth, ST's, etc.)

The defense starts with the front and we have to get bigger, stronger, and adjust to a penetrative scheme. Attack their QB, their offensive line, and their pass protection. Stop the run then bring heat with creative, well timed blitzes.

My sig below is best case scenario in my opinion. Our interior offensive line is not a weakness. Forget about bringing in a OG as a free agent. Not a huge need and very expensive. Not great depth on the free agent market for OT's where we do need some help. Gross would be my first choice to replace Pears, but he is not as productive at LT. We probably won't be able to sign him, but again he's my first choice. We could OT in the draft first round, but why did we draft Harris. I think we need to let him play next season and hope we made a good pick. We would love to have him develop for another year, but unfortunately that won't be able to happen.

Skill positions we're fine. We may need to bring in a WR free agent depending on Walker's issue, but I would be very happy with Bryant Johnson or Michael Clayton as our #2 WR. Stokely in the slot and either draft late a WR or sign a veteran for depth cheaply.

Hall and Young should stay on the squad and be looked at as our two-headed running back. Neither appears to be 30 carries a game backs, but I think they would both be great with 15-20 carries per game. Again, draft a running back late or sign a cheap veteran for depth.

Dline must get better. We need to add size and strength. Hopefully Slowick will add the right scheme. Penetrate and attack! Stop the run and in passing situations let Doom and Moss fly!

Peterson, Crowder, and Thomas are already on the roster so we must add depth through the draft. Mckinley is a back-up. Whatever DT we draft unfortunately will be thrown into the fire imeediately due to the lack of DT depth we have. However, if he is taught to attack a gap the learning curve should be easier. DO NOT sign a free agent DT for big money. In my opinion, waste of money. DT's are notorious for getting big paydays and then never showing up. Let's not make a mistake here. BTW, should have never gotten rid of Warren. He wasn't an All-Pro, but would make DT less of a problem right now.

Linebackers need a major overhaul. Let DJ go back to weak-side so he can utilize is athletic ability to make the defense more dynamic. Draft a big, physical MLB like Goff or Butler and let them learn on the job. Like I said, 2008 is not the end game... 2009 is the future.

Lastly, add a playmaker in the first round... Phillips. It's a position of need, their is good value with this pick at #12, and he's a playmaker. Lynch can stay or go, but whatever that turns out to be we need Phillips on the field from the get go. Lynch at SS and Phillips at FS or Abdullah at SS and Phillips at FS.

We have turned the offense in the right direction through the recent drafts... Cutler, Hall, Young, Marshall, Scheffler, Kuper, Myers, Harris it's now time to keep reworking the defense through the draft.

2009, not 2008!!!

I agree with almost all of this. I actually think our defense will be better next year because it will be more aggressive. Instead of sitting back and thinking: "Is that my gap; or is THAT my gap.." they'll be asked to penetrate and hit people.

The draft will be crucial to re-building the center of our defense.

We need help at OT. I'm not sure about Harris. I remember when Jeremy LeSeuer was going to be the answer in our secondary and Watts was going to be all-pro. I'm not from Missiour, but: SHOW ME!

Traveler
01-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Dumb question but would Jimmy Kennedy fit this new defense? Is he available?

dogfish
01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Red Bryant? Pass. :(

why?

WARHORSE
01-22-2008, 07:51 PM
I dont like Dumerville playing either, but he has made a good chunk of tackles. Im not sure we can find someone to start all along the defensive line except Thomas spot.

Best case, we get Ekuban back at 100% and then get a DT in the draft, or two................or three.

mclark
01-22-2008, 08:32 PM
I dont like Dumerville playing either, but he has made a good chunk of tackles. Im not sure we can find someone to start all along the defensive line except Thomas spot.

Best case, we get Ekuban back at 100% and then get a DT in the draft, or two................or three.

At least one who can play right away.

WARHORSE
01-22-2008, 08:47 PM
At least one who can play right away.

Yep.

:coffee:

Yep.

MHCBill
01-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Dumb question but would Jimmy Kennedy fit this new defense? Is he available?He was with the Bears at the end of the season.

Not sure he is really a penetrator along the dline, but if nothing else he has size, would come cheap, and could be a back-up. Three things we need along the dline if you ask me.

We need someone like him to rotate in on 1st and 2nd down to attack a gap and help stop the run.

Wouldn't be the worst pick-up as a back-up.

Dean
01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Jimmy Kennedy doesn't take plays off he takes the whole season off. The trite expression looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane fits him exactly.