PDA

View Full Version : 46 years later the Broncos play a thanksgiving home game

titan
11-24-2009, 11:40 AM
New post on my sports blog:

http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/2009/11/46-years-later-broncos-play-home-game.html

copy below

=============

This week the Broncos host the New York Giants at Invesco field. While Denver has played on Thanksgiving a few times over the years, this is their first Thanksgiving home game since 1963. The Broncos lost to the Oakland Raiders on that Thanksgiving Day (November 28, 1963) 26-10.

That game is more than just a statistic for me. It was my first Bronco game ever! I was 7 years old at the time. John F Kennedy had been assassinated the Friday before and the nation was in mourning. A friend of my Dad's gave him 3 50 yard line seats in the West Stands, and he took my brother and me to the game.

I don't remember much of the game, other than the Broncos having a running back with an unusual name ("Billy Joe"). A long time Bronco nemesis, Al Davis, was coaching the Raiders that day.

I have attended hundreds of Broncos home games since Thanksgiving Day 1963, but to this day those were the BEST seats I've ever had at a Bronco game. I was too young to appreciate the 50 yard line location!

As for this year's team, I've had fun comparing them to the 1977 Broncos. The last 4 weeks of losses have shown this is not a 77 rerun. Maybe my post before the Cincinnati game will turn out to be more accurate (I said if the Broncos defeated the Bengals they'd start out 4-0 and finish 8-8).

What concerns me about the 09 Broncos in recent weeks is how the defense has been dominated in the 4th quarter, unable to stop the run. This is not a good recipe for success against a power running team like the Giants.

Still I think the Broncos always have a chance of winning at home (forgetting for a minute last week's 32-3 debacle against the Chargers). The Giants have already complained about traveling cross country in a short week, and New York had lost four in a row this season, too, before winning last week against the Falcons.

Here's hoping the Broncos make their all time Thanksgiving home game record 1 win and 1 loss with a victory against the Giants!

UnderArmour
11-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Our 6-0 streak started only because we played until the final second of the game, with Stokely coming up with a miracle 82 yard grab. We rode that momentum to 6 wins and then we hit a bye week. But, I think this team will finally wake up. Well, we started 6-0 and I think this team can finish 6-0. This time, the offense will carry the team and light up the scoreboard, something that hasn't happened yet, even against the inferior teams and it will be the defense that comes up with the big play. The offense has been sleeping all year and it has yet to wake up, not even for one game.

red98
11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Our 6-0 streak started only because we played until the final second of the game, with Stokely coming up with a miracle 82 yard grab. We rode that momentum to 6 wins and then we hit a bye week. But, I think this team will finally wake up. Well, we started 6-0 and I think this team can finish 6-0. This time, the offense will carry the team and light up the scoreboard, something that hasn't happened yet, even against the inferior teams and it will be the defense that comes up with the big play. The offense has been sleeping all year and it has yet to wake up, not even for one game.

I don't know if we'll finish 6-0 but the race isn't over yet, a win on Turkey Day puts us right back in it. They won the first 6 so it's not too hard to envision. The media has written off the Broncos a little too soon this time.