PDA

View Full Version : Possible UFL Additions

JDL
11-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Championship Game is Friday (Las Vegas v. Florida)

Just some players to consider if the team is looking to make a change.

P Danny Baugher Las Vegas (UofA) - Ex-Pat and actually an Ex-Bronco (I don't remember him at all!) I watched about a dozen of his punts and every single one has great height and travels 44-48yds with a few 50s mixed in there. Very effective and led the UFL by quite a margin. 43.5yd avg (by far the best) and 8 punts out of 22 inside the 20 only 3 TBs. Analysis: Would certainly be an upgrade, imo, over Berger.

QB Brooks Bollinger Florida (Wisconsin) - League MVP (or will be). I had a negative view of him from what I thought I remembered in the NFL, but he's had a few very good NFL games, actually. Positives: Throws the slant route VERY well. I don't mean just the one coming over the middle either (which he does as well), but the far outside slant in, throws it on a rope, impressed. Solid mobility. Excellent play action and looks off defenses. Also gets rid of ball quickly and seems to recognize quickly when screen passes are busted and adjusts. Negatives: Short at 6'1 and has issues with batted down balls and his arm strength on deep throws is similar to Orton, yes he can get it out there, but loses much of his accuracy. But, can make them if the WR is wide open. Analysis: Not advocating him as a starter, but if the team is looking to upgrade over Simms without bringing in a guy like Garcia who might be a threat to Orton and cause turmoil, Bollinger might be the guy. From what I saw, he can be an effective backup in a short passing system that emphasizes slant routes.

WR Tay Biddle Florida (Mississippi) - Guy definitely has a place in the NFL. Has size, speed and good hands (never seems to double clutch or fight passes.) Went undrafted and got injured in 2008 before training camp, ended up eventually making his way onto the Giants active roster mid-season and then back to practice squad. Was signed to future contract but was not able to crack an obviously deep Giants WR corp. Positives: Seems to run solid routes, nice hands, good size/speed ratio. Just made a ton of plays. Negatives: I really don't know that I saw any real weaknesses with his game, he maybe didn't seem as fast as what they talked about (former track athlete though) but he didn't seem slow at all either. Analysis: I like Brandon Lloyd but this would be a nice positive move for the good of future teams. Let him come in and learn the system and maybe next year he can become a surprise player on the team. Never have enough good players even though we are pretty well stocked at WR (for now.)

Willie Andrews PR/KR/DB Florida (Baylor) - Ex-Patriot. Guy is quick as lightning and slams it through blockers go north and south, no dancing. Positives: Equally dangerous on punts and kickoffs. Negatives: Well, he was kicked off the Pats (2008) essentially after being arrested for holding a gun to his girlfriends head, also caught with a half-pound of marijuana prior to that. Analysis: There is absolutely no questioning his return ability, he would be an instant spark to field position. Denver ranks 25th in Kick Return Avg. despite Royal's long return TD. He's definitely a better PR and he could probably use a break more often and we really have nobody else doing anything. Downside - pretty obvious he seems to be a thug, not sure that is a guy you want in the locker room but just putting it out there - question is do you believe in 2nd chances?

Michael Pittman RB Florida - Just a quick blurb about him. He still is an effective runner and seems to have the same burst he had last year. I mention him because I think the Jordan experiment needs to end, he can't stay healthy (he got injured again.) Pittman knows Turner, he knows the team, he is experienced, a good pass blocker, receiver and effective in short yardage and he is clearly healthy after last years injury. Also, a good locker room presence.

Rob Petitti OT Florida - Has protected Bollinger's blind side all year and is considered the best OT in UFL. 6'6 327LBs and might be an option to look at over Polumbus who has been atrocious in place of Ryan Harris. Started all 16 games as a rookie for Dallas, but bounced around after that.

Some more bad boys

Claude Wroten DT 6'4 300lbs - rights are still held by St. Louis but he is on continued suspension apparently (if you believe Wiki) for repeated drug abuse issues. May have his life together but was considered the best DL in UFL. Don't know what happens if NFL reinstates him as St. Louis would have to make a move with him.

Chris Cooper DL 6'5 280lbs - former Raider as I am sure you recall. Was certainly a consistent presence in the games I saw. Not always for good reasons though... thrown out of 1 game and got into a fight the next game. I have a real problem with onfield tempers and control, personally. But, some of the coaching holdovers probably recall him and know a thing or two about him. Former doper too.

Again, not advocating mass overhauls with UFL stars... lol. Just throwing out some names that will be available, I presume, after Friday. There are a few others, but defensive players are hard to evaluate. I can tell you Losman in any league is total garbage. He has zero accuracy and Las Vegas is going to get stomped imo on Friday.

For me, I would definitely look at Baugher, but then again I am a UofA alum, but he really looks good. (Btw, Kern has not really looked that great in Tenn recently, at least from the punts I've seen.)

I would also really go after Biddle, as it is clear that Stokely is not in McDaniel's longterm plans, Marshall is always 1 step away and Gaffney will only continue to get older. He might add some youth and vertical speed to the offense (but I doubt he'd sign with Denver... I could very very well see Indianapolis picking him up with Gonzalez continued injury struggles and them not really having a strong reliable 2nd WR Garcon is still way too inconsistent and drops a lot of passes and Collie is just sort of what he is. More of WR3 and WR4's) But that is beside the point lol.

BTW - the videos of the games are up on the website and it is pretty quick to skip ahead to see the players you want to see and focus on them.

CrazyHorse
11-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Just say no to drugs... and Brooks Bollinger. I've seen what he did on the Vikings.

titan
11-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Good list. I agree I'd rather have Pittman than Jordan.

How did Tatum Bell do in the UFL? I was surprised Bell didn't find a place in the NFL this year (he was one of the few bright spots in the broncos season ending loss to the chargers last year)

weazel
11-24-2009, 11:54 AM

How did Tatum Bell do in the UFL? I was surprised Bell didn't find a place in the NFL this year (he was one of the few bright spots in the broncos season ending loss to the chargers last year)

he did well, he got himself two new sets of luggage!!!

rcsodak
11-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I wish McD would have kept MBell around a little longer.....

weazel
11-24-2009, 12:12 PM
I wish McD would have kept MBell around a little longer.....

but then he could have used the 1st pick on something we needed!

topscribe
11-24-2009, 12:22 PM
I like the idea of giving Baugher a look see. Very consistent and accurate with
his placements, he was one of the nation's best college punters back in
school.

I also like Petitti for his size. The Broncos have to get bigger on both sides of
the ball. For this reason, I viewed your list with a bit of disappointment in not
seeing an OG in there, which is the most urgent need.

I'm not sure I would give any of the rest more than a passing look . . .

-----

weazel
11-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Pittman is a step up on Jordan in my opinion. The problem of getting him is that Jordan is already signed. It would be just another dead cap hit.

MileHighCrew
11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Cory Ross has been great in the UFL and De De Dorsey. Both runningbacks have been more effective than Pittman

BCJ
11-24-2009, 03:40 PM
The punter is an EX Pat? Once the season is over, he is signed. EX PAT.....BRING HIM IN!

JDL
11-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Cory Ross has been great in the UFL and De De Dorsey. Both runningbacks have been more effective than Pittman

I thought about Ross... but not Dorsey, Dorsey cannot pass block AT ALL and will not likely make the NFL because of it. Ross, ehh, Tatum Bell honestly looked more impressive... definitely tough evals... but Pittman is simply a known veteran quantity which is why I suggested him. I suspect we can find any number of unknown RBs who could be productive. I was just thinking in terms of why Jordan was brought in and what McDaniels thinking was in that regard (veteran backup and short yardage back.) I don't think anyone can say Pittman did not play well for us last year.

The Glue Factory
11-24-2009, 06:27 PM
My biggest concern is that these are NFL castoffs or players not ready for prime time. Sure they look great against each other but going against the best in the NFL may make them look like pop warner rejects. I'm aware that there's going to be exceptions like Rod Smith but for the most part they'd best be passed by.

JDL
11-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I like the idea of giving Baugher a look see. Very consistent and accurate with
his placements, he was one of the nation's best college punters back in
school.

I also like Petitti for his size. The Broncos have to get bigger on both sides of
the ball. For this reason, I viewed your list with a bit of disappointment in not
seeing an OG in there, which is the most urgent need.

I'm not sure I would give any of the rest more than a passing look . . .

-----

It is hard to really evaluate these players and know how well they will translate. I put Petitti on there because one of the last games he was identified as the best OT in the league. Is there a good OG? I don't know, but honestly - we just drafted an OG Seth Olsen... and traded for one... Hochstein. I have no problem with Kuper personally and LG ... ehh... I think that was the point of drafting Olsen who is in a better position to help if necessary. Polumbus has been terrible and we really don't seem to have anyone who can play OT well other than Harris and Clady.

JDL
11-24-2009, 06:30 PM

Bell looked superior to all RBs in the league (not so much in production because he split carries with Pittman but in explosiveness), but Bell was always all speed and poor block recognition. The guy couldn't find the hole with garman hooked up to his helmet.

sneakers
11-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Brooks Bollinger!!! Go Badgers!

sneakers
11-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Just say no to drugs... and Brooks Bollinger. I've seen what he did on the Vikings.

You shut your dirty whore mouth CrazyHorse!!! You speak nothing but slander of Wisconsin's most successful NFL quarterback ever!

rcsodak
11-24-2009, 06:46 PM
My biggest concern is that these are NFL castoffs or players not ready for prime time. Sure they look great against each other but going against the best in the NFL may make them look like pop warner rejects. I'm aware that there's going to be exceptions like Rod Smith but for the most part they'd best be passed by.

Isn't that why they started the league? As a development for players? With the max number of players being as it is, and the possibility of them adding more games down the road, teams will HAVE to start carrying more players, and having somewhere that they can draw from as the season progresses. Hopefully, the UFL lasts and becomes an asset.

The Glue Factory
11-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Isn't that why they started the league? As a development for players? With the max number of players being as it is, and the possibility of them adding more games down the road, teams will HAVE to start carrying more players, and having somewhere that they can draw from as the season progresses. Hopefully, the UFL lasts and becomes an asset.

Not sure I'd go that far. I found this on Wikipedia (not that I hold Wiki up as an authority on the subject, but a repository of relavent info on the subject.)

Comparison with the NFL
The league primarily consists of players that have at one time or another played for a National Football League team. While the league has no connection with the NFL, and does not intend to have such a relationship in the future,[44] some have speculated that it could become a minor or "developmental" league for the NFL,[45] Other reports said the league described it as a "competitor" to the NFL,[46] though they have backed off this characterization in recent months, instead describing as a "complement" to NFL football. It has been speculated in the press that the UFL's long-term business plan is to be present if or when the NFL and its players' union reach the end of their contract in 2011, giving players that would be locked-out or striking an opportunity to play somewhere else.[47] The NFLPA has advised any NFL player cut in training camp to consider the UFL as an employment opportunity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Football_League_(2009)

JDL
11-25-2009, 03:38 AM
If you look at some of the moves transpiring this week, it is apparent teams need a source of players ready to step in and play mid-season.

Jon Runyan signed by Chargers (he couldn't get ANY team to sign him earlier in the season)

Kendall Simmons signed by the Bills

Josh Bell (ex Bronco) signed with Packers

Cletis Gordon signed with the Cowboys

Blake Schlueter (Broncos 7th rd) signed to the Falcons PS

Lot's of vets who can't find jobs at the beginning of the year (Mitch Berger) and out of work young guys looking for a 2nd or 3rd shot.

To me, I like the league (wish it ended sooner), but I would rather sign Berger after 6 or so games in the UFL than having him work out the rust on the field with us.

You are not going to find future stars very often, it is more for depth and emergency fill ins. But if you are desperate to fill a hole...these are players that are game shape ready versus say signing Josh Bell off the street and expecting him to be game ready.

CrazyHorse
11-25-2009, 08:35 PM
You shut your dirty whore mouth CrazyHorse!!! You speak nothing but slander of Wisconsin's most successful NFL quarterback ever!

Jim Sorgi?