PDA

View Full Version : Rice as Teacher.. & Misc. News

Calibroncogrl47
09-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Rice's presence helps Moss
By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 09/04/2007 11:36:06 PM MDT

Looking beyond the immediate impact Simeon Rice will have on the Broncos' defense as a pass rusher, John Lynch also sees a long-term benefit to the team: the development of first-round pick Jarvis Moss.

Like Rice, 33, entering his 12th season, Moss is a long-bodied pass rusher who excelled in college. The Broncos had Rice-like impact in mind when they took the Florida former star with the No. 17 overall pick in this year's draft.
Lynch, Rice's former teammate at Tampa Bay, thinks Rice's presence will expedite Moss' learning curve. Rice may start his Broncos career as early as Sunday's opener at Buffalo, pushing Moss back to a reserve role, although he'll get plenty of chances to get on the field.

"I think this is going to be a good thing for Jarvis Moss," Lynch said. "They have the same body type and they have similar styles. Jarvis will learn from Simeon and he'll help Jarvis out a lot. This is a great move in all aspects."
Moss said Monday he is eager to learn from Rice, who has 121 career sacks. Rice agreed to terms Monday on a one-year deal with the Broncos worth $3 million. In addition, he can earn up to $1 million in incentives based on sack totals.

To make room for Rice, Denver cut linebacker Wesly Mallard. Mallard was signed by the Broncos in July. Mallard's release and Rice's signing gives the Broncos five linebackers and 10 defensive linemen.
Learning on the job

**There is not a more unlikely player in the Broncos' locker room than practice squad offensive lineman Cliff Washburn. Washburn, 27, didn't play football until his senior year of college at The Citadel. He was a basketball player until then.
Since 2003, he has bounced from the NFL, NFL Europe and the CFL, trying to latch on.

Before training camp, the Broncos were impressed by Washburn's size and athleticism. Even though he is raw, the Broncos thought enough of him to put him on the practice squad.

"This is a good step for me," Washburn said. "Every day is important for me."

**Ernster on verge of a job

Former Broncos punter Paul Ernster worked out in Cleveland on Tuesday and has been told by the Browns that he will be brought back to Cleveland on Friday as a contingency plan. Browns punter Dave Zastudil was injured Monday and the team isn't sure if he will play in the Browns' opener. If Zastudil isn't ready, Ernster will be signed, his agent Brett Tessler said.
Ernster caught the Browns' eye Tuesday in a workout. Ernster lost the Broncos punting and kickoff duties to Todd Sauerbrun.

**Footnote
Broncos vice president of public relations Jim Saccomano will have book signings for "Game of My Life" on Sept. 15 at the Barnes & Noble at 9370 Sheridan Blvd., 1-3 p.m., and the Barnes & Noble at 8136 W. Bowles Ave., 5-7 p.m.

Saccomano's book is about the greatest games of 20 former Broncos.

dogfish
09-05-2007, 09:28 PM
something else i like about the acquisition of rice is that we really needed some leadership in the front seven after the loss of al wilson. . . having lynch, champ and dre is great, but it should really be beneficial to have another vocal vet up front. . .

TXBRONC
09-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I sure hope Rice can help this defense gel. Although his reputation is built on his pass rushing ability it is important the he eventually be able to play solidly against the run when he has gotten up to speed.