PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl

MOtorboat
01-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Senior Bowl week is underway.

Coaching Staffs: Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers (could they have picked any worse staffs? Although the 49ers is interesting because of Mike Singletary...I'm not sure if Martz is there.

www.seniorbowl.com hasn't listed rosters yet...according to the ESPN chat, I've got these players there so far:

Well we should have John David Booty, Colt Brennen, Andre Woodson, Matt Ryan, and Chad Henne among others.

Penn State's Dan Connor, and Michigan St. TE Kellen Davis

Xavier Adibi is here, along with a couple other Va. Tech guys.

Mike Hart is not there.

Shawn Crable

USC Players

Sam Baker, John David Booty, Fred Davis, Sedrick Ellis, Lawrence Jackson, Drew Radovich, Keith Rivers, Chauncey Washington

Charles Godfrey

And they are chatting with Chris Ellis, Virginia, right now.

BOSSHOGG30
01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I will be there! Can't wait... Leaving tomorrow morning! Great food in Mobile and awesome fans. Great chance to meet all the players as well and evaluate talent.

MOtorboat
01-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Chatting with Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska...

6-4, 328, 5.21 40

ESPN ranks him their eighth best tackle. What do you think Boss, early third round? maybe late second?

BOSSHOGG30
01-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Chatting with Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska...

6-4, 328, 5.21 40

ESPN ranks him their eighth best tackle. What do you think Boss, early third round? maybe late second?

He sucks... doesn't matter when he goes if you ask me

MOtorboat
01-21-2008, 01:30 PM
NFL Draft Countdown's Coverage

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/preview.html

'08 Senior Bowl Preview
Scott Wright
President, NFL Draft Countdown

By now you have probably heard all about how this is a weak draft and not a very good crop of seniors and while that might be the case to a certain degree there is still plenty of talent at this year's Senior Bowl. In fact, even with Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long and Matt Ryan all sitting out the game will still feature twelve prospects who are in the first round of my most recent mock draft and a handful more who are on the bubble. If recent history is any indication at least one third of the first round will be made up of players who took part in the Senior Bowl. Those numbers speak for themselves. As always there will be a lot of interesting storylines to follow but here are some that I will be watching closely.

In football it seems as though everything revolves around the quarterback position so why not start there. This will be the fourth year that I have traveled to Mobile to cover the Senior Bowl and I don't know if there is a player I have been more excited to see than Hawaii's Colt Brennan. It's not that he's the best prospect down here or even close to it but he might have more questions surrounding him than any player in this entire draft and this week is going to provide a terrific opportunity to finally get some answers. How he performs this week will go a long way towards determining whether Brennan is a 2nd round pick or a 4th rounder. Delaware's Joe Flacco has received a lot of hype lately and this week will be his chance to show he's the real deal and belongs with the big boys. Running back is one position where the talk about a weak senior class holds true but a guy to watch is East Carolina's Chris Johnson, whose pure speed and explosiveness should really set him apart from the rest of the pack in Mobile. At wide receiver Limas Sweed missed most of his senior season with a wrist injury but he has the physical tools of a Top 10 pick and with a strong showing this week he could approach that status. Last year L.S.U.'s Dwayne Bowe was arguably the star of the week and his former teammate Early Doucet will attempt to improve on his fringe first round status. At tight end USC's Fred Davis is coming off an outstanding senior campaign and if he can continue that momentum in Mobile not only might he solidify himself as the top player at his position but he could also make a serious push for a spot in round one. When it comes to offensive linemen the tackle position is widely recognized as one of the strongest in the draft and with good reason. Jeff Otah of Pittsburgh. Sam Baker of USC, Gosder Cherilus of Boston College, Chris Williams of Vanderbilt and Carl Nicks of Nebraska are all either first rounders or have a legitimate shot at round one and they will all be in Mobile this week. Needless to say this is a great chance for them to separate themselves from their competition. Keep an eye on U.T.E.P. OT/OG Oniel Cousins too because he has a lot of fans in the scouting community and if he can showcase his elite athleticism and have a strong showing he could continue his eteoric ascent up draft boards.

At defensive end the word of the week might be 'tweener and no less than five of the ten guys here are being looked at as potential outside linebackers at the next level. The headliner of the group is Quentin Groves of Auburn and he'll try to have the same type of week as Manny Lawson did a couple of years ago. The other guy to watch is Eastern Michigan's Jason Jones and if you don't know about him yet you will soon. Inside at tackle Sedrick Ellis is perhaps the best player in this game and a legit Top 10 pick but could he challenge Glenn Dorsey for the top spot at his position? Probably not. However Oakland is picking in the Top 5, they need a stud defensive tackle and they might get a real good look at Ellis this week... It will also be interesting to see if the light finally comes on for career underachievers such as Dre Moore of Maryland, DeMario Pressley of North Carolina St. and Andre Fluellen of Florida St. this week. At linebacker Keith Rivers and Dan Connor will continue their battle for the #1 ranking but Tavares Gooden of Miami (FL) and Beau Bell of UNLV are both great athletes with excellent physical tools and could shine in a setting like this. One of the early front-runners to be this weeks breakout star is cornerback Leodis McKelvin of Troy, who has all the physical tools you look for in a cover guy. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie of Tennessee St. is another small-school corner who will be attempting to prove he can get the job done against top competition while Patrick Lee of Auburn and Charles Godfrey of Iowa are both big and fast and coming off excellent senior campaigns. There isn't a 1st-round caliber safety among the seniors but California's Thomas DeCoud will be in Mobile and he is the top guy on most team's boards. Keep an eye on Craig Steltz of L.S.U., because I think he is underrated and he should showcase his better than advertised athleticism and playmaking skills this week. Last year the Senior Bowl invited Mason Crosby, Nick Folk, Daniel Sepulveda and Adam Podlesh and all four were drafted and are coming off excellent rookie season so it's going to be difficult to top that crop of kickers and punters. With that said Georgia's Brandon Coutu has all the tools to be a good kicker at the next level while Georgia Tech's Durant Brooks won the Ray Guy Award as the nation's top punter as a senior. North Dakota State's Mike Dragosavich is one of the top sleepers in the draft and he could emerge as one of the top punters too with a good showing this week.

That is just a small sampling of the storylines that I will be watching develop throughout the week but there are countless others and always a surprise or two mixed in as well. As usual the lineup of players at this year's game is pretty darn impressive and beyond just the potential #1 picks there are so many second and third rounders that this game truly is a draftnik's dream come true. I hope you are looking as forward to this week's coverage as I am and I promise to do my very best to update as many times as possible and give you a feel for what is taking place. As always this is all brought to you 100% FREE courtesy of NFL Draft Countdown, the most popular draft site in the world. With that let the coverage begin!

BOSSHOGG30
01-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Georgia's Brandon Coutu is awesome! but I am a Georgia fan, so I may be bias.

MOtorboat
01-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Now chatting with Oklahoma State WR Adarius Bowman.

ESPN:
6-3, 225, 4.48

Strengths: A late bloomer with an outstanding combination of height, bulk and straight-line speed. A massive target with long arms and big hands. Excels on vertical routes and is a big-play waiting to happen. He does a great job of using his body to shield defenders on slants, posts, etc. Also wins most jump ball battles. Is deceptively fast because he builds speed as he goes and will get over the top of DB's quicker than they think. Shows the ability to make the acrobatic catch and has strong hands to pluck the ball away from defenders in heavy traffic. Has proven consistently capable of catching the ball over his head. Not afraid to go over the middle. He's a tough runner after the catch. Very difficult for DB's to bring down one-on-one. Gives a good effort as a blocker. Is big and strong enough to dominate most CB's at the point of attack once locked on.

Weaknesses: Needs to show more consistent focus. Drops a few passes he shouldn't simply because he's looking upfield instead of securing it first. Lacks explosive initial burst and will need to improve his array of release moves to compensate in the NFL. Still too sloppy as a route runner. Rounds off too many of his routes and isn't crisp enough getting in and out of breaks  particularly on intermediate routes. Could have significantly more trouble separating in the NFL if he doesn't improve the crispness of his routes. He's not overly elusive after the catch and he lacks the initial burst to explode up the field right away  he needs a crease or to break a tackle in order to make big gains after the catch. Effort and size/strength are good as a stalk blocker but he must improve his technique and angles.

Overall: Bowman originally attended North Carolina where he played the 2003-'04 seasons. He transferred to Oklahoma State, sitting out 2005 in accordance with NCAA regulations before suiting up in 2006. Bowman has played in 31 games (15 starts, 13 in 2006) catching 88 passes for 1,691 yards (19.2 average) and 17 touchdowns during his career. After sitting out a year due to NCAA transfer rules, the former Tar Heel proved to be an instant impact player during his first season in Stillwater, OK. Bowman possesses an outstanding combination of size, speed and athletic ability. If he improves his route running and continues to put up similar type numbers versus more double-team attention as a senior, Bowman could be one of the top-five receivers selected in the 2008 draft.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-21-2008, 01:35 PM
You're going to Mobile Boss?

MOtorboat
01-21-2008, 01:39 PM

Boss is a draft nerd.

MOtorboat
01-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Carl Nicks from NFLdraftcountdown...

Strengths:
Has outstanding size and a huge frame...A terrific athlete with good quickness...Is very strong...Physical and aggressive...Gets a nice push in the run game...Light on his feet...Mobile and will get to the second level...Versatile...Still has major upside.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't have a ton of experience...Very raw and has a ways to go when it comes to technique...Has to play with better leverage...Shaky footwork & hand use...Not yet a finished product and he'll need to be developed...Has a questionable motor.

Notes:
Married with a three-year-old daughter...Began his college career as a defensive tackle at New Mexico State before transferring to Hartnell Junior College...Landed at Nebraska in 2006...Played right tackle as a junior and left tackle as a senior but was only a starter for about one season...Mammoth blocker with a lot of potential who still gets by mostly on sheer talent...Has the physical tools to be a great pro.

BOSSHOGG30
01-21-2008, 01:41 PM

Yep, try to go every year.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Boss is a draft nerd.

I was just curious if he was going as a fan or if he has media credentials like Scott does from NFLDC.

I know a little lady down in Mobile, and I looked at tickets over two months ago and they were still 600 bucks; way too much for me and I couldn't take off school and work to go and do this.

I'm figuring out a way to get there next year; either that or Indianapolis. I'd like to go to Mobile personally. Indianapolis might be more attainable because they are thinking about opening it up to the public (workouts) so getting a media pass wouldn't be a big deal.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Yep, try to go every year.

Do you get media pass?

BOSSHOGG30
01-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Do you get media pass?

kind of, don't know if it is really a media pass, but I do get an exclusive pass from the PSFCA

BOSSHOGG30
01-21-2008, 01:50 PM
I was just curious if he was going as a fan or if he has media credentials like Scott does from NFLDC.

I know a little lady down in Mobile, and I looked at tickets over two months ago and they were still 600 bucks; way too much for me and I couldn't take off school and work to go and do this.

I'm figuring out a way to get there next year; either that or Indianapolis. I'd like to go to Mobile personally. Indianapolis might be more attainable because they are thinking about opening it up to the public (workouts) so getting a media pass wouldn't be a big deal.

Mobile is totally worth it because it is easy to get around, the food is awesome, and even if you go as a fan it is easy to get around and meet and talk with players. Last year and this year I will be going with the PSFCA, but i've been there in the past as a fan and it was just as easy to get around.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Ah I see, I was just curious.

So do you get to be on the field for the workouts or do you go to the stands? I'm not even exactly how it all works. I contacted Scott and he said he'd help get me the info if I'm truly interested in coming down next year, but told me to wait on a response until after the week is done (understandable.)

That's cool you're going though.

Too tough to do it while I'm in school and have a job, but I'm hoping next year is the year. If not then, 2010 obviously - since I'll be done with undergraduate school.

BOSSHOGG30
01-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Ah I see, I was just curious.

So do you get to be on the field for the workouts or do you go to the stands? I'm not even exactly how it all works. I contacted Scott and he said he'd help get me the info if I'm truly interested in coming down next year, but told me to wait on a response until after the week is done (understandable.)

That's cool you're going though.

Too tough to do it while I'm in school and have a job, but I'm hoping next year is the year. If not then, 2010 obviously - since I'll be done with undergraduate school.

I don't get to go on the actual field. I can get really close to the field but I usually sit in the bleachers. I get to spend time with the coaching staff. This year it will be Oakland and the 49ers. They usually have a 1 hour get together with food and stuff... sort of like a banquet. It is cool because you get to ask the professionals questions. Last year I got to spend some time with Monte Kiffin and Gruden... I didn't like Gruden at all and Kiffin was sort of weird. Getting together with the coaches is the main focus of the PSFCA, but I love to see and meet all the seniors from the colleges I like.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-21-2008, 02:06 PM
That's awesome BOSS, have a safe trip and tell us anything you can get.

It's much appreciated.

BroncoAV06
01-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Are there any sites that put up clips of this week? My TV is out and it just happens to be the Senior Bowl week!

Requiem / The Dagda
01-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Are there any sites that put up clips of this week? My TV is out and it just happens to be the Senior Bowl week!

Some people put them on PUTFILE last year, and if I find it I'll be sure to post it here for ya'll!

MOtorboat
01-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, I just found out I can't watch the game...

Anyone have the rosters yet?

Requiem / The Dagda
01-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Andrew Mason said he's going to be covering the South practices; and not the North practices which NFL Network will be at.

It'll be interesting to see whose on the South's roster. I'd imagine Andrew traveled with our scouts who will be there, so yeah.

I posted in his blog to post the goods, so let's hope he does. :)

BroncoAV06
01-21-2008, 02:31 PM
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=731201 List of players that accepted invites to the Senior Bowl. Rosters have to be up soon.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Once again, us focusing on the South sort of shows our bias and affinity towards SEC players, etc. At least, I'd say so.

MOtorboat
01-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Obviously these are filtered questions, but Steve Muench from Scouts, Inc. on the chat:

Otto (CA): Hello Steve. How does John David Booty compare to Matt Leinart?

SportsNation Steve Muench : (2:07 PM ET ) I think Leinart's resume was more impressive and he's a little taller making it ewasier for him to scan the field. I also think that Leinart's arm is a little bit stronger than Booty's.

steve (va): Steve, do you think the ravens will step back a little bit from the brohm idea now that they cant see him at the senoir bowl?

SportsNation Steve Muench : (2:10 PM ET ) You are right for bringing it up and I think that the Ravens as well and the other teams that are interested in taking a QB are disappointed but I wouldn't make too much of a deal out of it. Scouts have seen enough of Brohm's game film to know what he can and can't do. If he interviews well and performs well during workouts it won't really matter. On the other hand, if he shows up this week and gets injured his stock could very well plummet.

Christian (High Point, NC): How much pressure is Colt Brennan under after the Sugar Bowl debacle?

SportsNation Steve Muench : (2:13 PM ET ) A lot in my opinion. The biggest question with him have always been can he produce like this workiong against a higher level of competition than what he saw in the WAC. His performance against Georgia only ampified those concerns.

SportsNation Steve Muench : (2:15 PM ET ) It's also worth pointing out that the defenses aren't allowed to blitz this week. That means Brennan is going to see plenty of vanilla coverages and scouts know it. As a result, he won't be able to completly erase the showing agaisnt Georgia from scouts' memories even with a strong showing here.

Steve (Charlotte, Nc): People keep saying Matt Ryan will be one of the top prospects in the draft. I think he has some good qualities that coaches want in a qb, but he lacks in awareness and accuracy and think anyone who would pick him in the first round would be wasting a pick, because it will take him at least a couple of years to be considered an alright qb. What do you think about Matt Ryan?

SportsNation Steve Muench : (2:19 PM ET ) Let's talk about the bad first. He threw too many picks and even thoguh it's not all his fault too man of those picks were returned for touchdowns. However, I think his awarness is one of his biggest strengths. Rememebr the Eagles' new scheme gives the quarterback far more responsibility and I think Ryan responded extremely well to carrying a heavier load. In fact, I think his ability to read the coverage and put the offense in the right play helped mask the fact that he didn;t have great receivers at Boston College. In addition, I like his size, he has decent arm strength and, in my opinion, his accuracy. He's capable of leading his receivers and dropping the ball in over coverage when he sets his feet.

Vince (Lexington, KY): How can Andre Woodson's decision making really be a problem if he throws so few interceptions?

SportsNation Steve Muench : (2:22 PM ET ) You are right, he doesn't throw a lot of interceptions and to be honest I think his decsion making has imporved over the past three seasons. That said, interceptions aren't the only way to measure a quarterback's decion making. The reason Woodson could still improve in this area is he holds onto the ball too long at times. He'll have to do a better job of locating the open man and getting the ball out of his hands quicker at the NFL level. It's also important to point out that unlike Ryan he had two targets in Keenan Burton and Jacob Tamme that did a great job oif fighting for the ball while it was in the air this year.

Bob (Columbus, OH - IO!): So, with all of the OSU juniors returning, do you think next years senior bowl will have the sub-plot of Ohio State vs. The World?

SportsNation Steve Muench : (2:25 PM ET ) It seems like its been Ohio State against the world ever since loing to Florida two years ago doesn't it? On a more serious note, there should be a heavy Ohio State presence at next year's Senior Bowl if all of the prospects show up. Guys like Jenkins and Laurinaits may not attend because they could go in the top ten making the risk of sustaining an injury too great.

David (Morgantown, WV): What are your impressions of Owen "Runaway Beer Truck" Schmitt?

SportsNation Steve Muench : (2:28 PM ET ) I have yet to hear that nickname but I tell you this much I would not want to get in his way. He is a physcial lead blocker that takes pride in his blocking. He's also an effective short-yardage runner and a decent receiver/ The problem is he isn't fast or agile enough to move to running back and fullbacks don't play as big a role as the once did so Schmitt probably won't get picked up until the second day of the draft.

Brandon (Chicago): Steve, what is your take on Joe Flacco? Do you think he can conceivably improve his draft stock to a late first rounder if he has a good week? The biggest knock on him has been the level of competition he faced at Delaware.

SportsNation Steve Muench : (2:31 PM ET ) Flacco has NFL size and arm strength making him one of the most intriguing prospects here. And you are right that the biggest knock on him is the level of competition he faced so his stock should shoot up if he plays well this week. However, Flacco doesn't have ideal mobility and he locks onto receivers too much so I think he could move into the seocnd round but don't see him movuing into the first.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-21-2008, 02:43 PM
According to a San Francisco lady beat writer, Brohm and Groves dropped out; and John Carlson is nowhere to be found; and was replaced by Rucker of Missouri.

She also said that Lawerence Jackson had an impressive build, and that the best body went to Keith Rivers, who was getting even more rave reviews than Thomas Clayton last year.

CoachChaz
01-21-2008, 02:47 PM
I believe Ryan backed out as well.

BOSSHOGG30
01-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Andre Woodson (Kentucky) and Brian Brohm (Louisville) are on his heels, but Matt Ryan of Boston College is considered the No. 1 quarterback prospect at this stage of the draft process. Let the debate begin. Ryan has opted out of the Senior Bowl, and we can thank agent Tom Condon for that. Condon, who also represents Brady Quinn and Matt Leinart, annually encourages his clients to skip pre-draft competition. NFL teams don't like this approach, so it shouldn't be a surprise if Ryan's stock falls as the draft process moves along.

Source:rotoworld.com

G_Money
01-21-2008, 03:33 PM
The Senior Bowl is really only for those players who need to up their draft stock.

Brohm and Ryan don't want to play - why hurt their standing? If teams are having trouble making up their mind whether to take Brohm or Ryan with their pick, then having one of them play and look bad gives the job to the other guy.

Players from smaller conferences love the Senior Bowl, because they get their chance (especially in practice) to show what they can do against the best seniors in the country, regardless of conference. It's where the small school guys can make a jump.

Big school guys, top-10 guys...they really don't have to play, and many of them don't. If it ain't gonna help you much but could hurt you a lot, why risk it?

~G

Scarface
01-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Mayock has Henne as his #2 QB in the draft according to todays practice.

Gosder Cherilus had a really good practice and looked like another solid OT to come out of Boston College.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Scott Wright reports Denver personnel talking to. . .

Jamar Adams
DeJuan Tribble
Chad Henne
Shawn Crable

MOtorboat
01-22-2008, 12:07 AM

Jamar Adams
DeJuan Tribble
Chad Henne
Shawn Crable

Chad Henne?

Requiem / The Dagda
01-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Yeah why not?

Dean
01-22-2008, 09:37 AM

Jamar Adams
DeJuan Tribble
Chad Henne
Shawn Crable

If Denver is indeed talking to them, then they don't stand a snowball's chance in he** of being drafted by us. Every year the Broncos draft pick comment on the fact that they were surprised to be taken by Denver because they had not had any contact from Denver.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
If Denver is indeed talking to them, then they don't stand a snowball's chance in he** of being drafted by us. Every year the Broncos draft pick comment on the fact that they were surprised to be taken by Denver because they had not had any contact from Denver.

This talk is overplayed. (We won't draft them because we talked to them.) Denver talks to prospects, but the fact is that the top recruits talk to almost every team. Some teams emphasize personal interviews and connections more than others; but I don't doubt the interest in these players. You can't expect players to be like, "Oh yeah, I talked to Denver all the time." -- when they have 31 other franchises looking at them too.

Are some people genuinely surprised? Sure, as are players from a lot of other teams.

Crable's the kind of linebacker that Slowik would want in a scheme like his because he can blitz like there is no tomorrow.

Of course, this was just observations from the North practice.

Wouldn't doubt their interest in getting a returner and CB depth (Tribble) and a safety like Adams.

BOSSHOGG30
01-22-2008, 11:06 AM
k, back at the hotel getting some lunch... Great day. Don't have long so I will rush through this:

Things I’ve gathered from today’s practices and interviews:

Chicago Bears absolutely in love with Delaware QB Joe Flacco. And Flacco is a huge dude!

Denver Broncos have been seen with Shawn Crable, Jamar Adams, Simeon Castille, and a brief interview with DeJaun Tribble. Jamar Adams is bigger than I thought he would be. Castille is the best defensive back I’ve seen here. The guy can play. I think he will be a FS in the NFL. Tribble is short, but has a decent build. Crable looks like a well built basketball player.

There are already rumors down here that the Dolphins and Philly are working a trade for McNabb.

Tashard Choice is the most impressive runningback so far, followed by Matt Forte. Chauncey Washington hasn’t been bad in his own right either.

Tavares Gooden is impressing me the most right now out of the linebacker position. Philip Wheeler is a close second…. Oh, and Wheeler is huge! Keith Rivers has to be on roids (joking), the guy looks like he should be in the WWF (seriously).

Limas Sweed looks impressive. I like his size and speed. He is also an aggressive blocker.
Gosder Cherilus is a stud! Guy already looks better than most of the offensive linemen did in all the practices last year. I shook his hand this morning and he has to have the biggest hands I’ve ever seen.

Colt Brennan is a bust… way too small. He doesn’t even look like a football player.
Mike Dragosavich has one hell of a leg.

Coutu also has a good leg and very accurate.

Rafeal Little has been the most impressive kick returner.

Barry Richardson is a very impressive offensive linemen as well. Very big and just about all muscle and little fat.

Kentwan Balmer and Ellis are the real deal, both are huge and look impossible to move. Balmer has shown a lot of athletic ability as well.

Chris Johnson is too small. I know everyone will like his speed, but you have to see him in person to know what I’m talking about. I also shook his hand and they are so small. Small hands on runningbacks usually lead to fumbles.

mclark
01-22-2008, 12:08 PM
2008 SENIOR BOWL ROSTER

Sorted by position and ranked according to NFLdraftscout.com with projected round.

(Updated Jan. 21)

QB Woodson, Andre (Kentucky) 1st, South

QB Henne, Chad (Michigan) 2nd-3rd, North

QB Booty, John David (Southern California) 2nd-3rd, North

QB Brennan, Colt (Hawaii) 3rd, South

QB Flacco, Joe (Delaware) 3rd, North

QB Ainge, Erik (Tennessee) 3rd-4th, South

RB Johnson, Chris (East Carolina) 1st-2nd, North

RB Choice, Tashard (Ga.Tech) 4th, South

RB Forte, Matt (Tulane) 4th-5th, South

RB Savage, Dantrell (Oklahoma State) 5th-6th, North

RB Little, Rafael (Kentucky) 6th-7th, South

RB Forsett, Justin (Cal) 7th-FA, North

RB Washington, Chauncey (Southern California) 7th-FA, North

FB Schmitt, Owen (West Virginia) 4th, North

FB Hillis, Peyton (Arkansas) 5th, South

FB Hester, Jacob (LSU) 5th-6th, South

WR Doucet, Early (LSU) 1st, South

WR Sweed, Limas (Texas) 1st-2nd, South

WR Caldwell, Andre (Florida) 2nd, South

WR Avery, Donnie (Houston) 2nd, South

WR Bowman, Adarius (Oklahoma State) 2nd-3rd, North

WR Hall, D.J. (Alabama) 3rd, South

WR Douglas, Harry (Louisville) 3rd-4th, South

WR Bryant, Dorien (Purdue) 3rd-4th, North

WR Hawkins, Lavelle (Cal) 4th, North

WR Royal, Eddie, (Va. Tech) 4th, North

WR Nelson, Jordy (Kansas State) 4th-5th, North

WR Smith, Marcus (New Mexico) 6th-7th, North

TE Davis, Fred (Southern California) 1st-2nd, North

TE Rucker, Martin (Missouri) 2nd, North

TE Tamme, Jacob (Kentucky) 3rd, South

TE Cottam, Brad (Tennessee) 4th-5th, South

TE Davis, Kellen (Michigan State) 5th, North

TE Bennett, Cole (Auburn) FA, South

OT Baker, Sam (Southern California) 1st, North

OT Williams, Chris (Vanderbilt) 1st, South

OT Nicks, Carl (Nebraska) 2nd, North

OT Cherilus, Gosder (Boston College) 2nd-3rd, North

OT Cousins, Oniel (UTEP) 2nd-3rd, South

OT Rinehart, Chad (Northern Iowa) 3rd-4th, North

OT McGlynn, Mike (Pitt) 4th, South

OT Radovich, Drew (Southern California) 5th, North

OT Barton, Kirk (Ohio State) 5th-6th, North

OT Richardson, Barry (Clemson) 6th, South

C Justice, Steve (Wake Forest) 2nd, South

C Pollak, Mike (Arizona State) 2nd-3rd, North

C Wallace, Cody (Texas A&M) 3rd, South

C Sullivan, John (Notre Dame) 4th-5th, North

C Lichtensteiger, Kory (Bowling Green) 5th, South

OG Schuening, Roy (Oregon State) 3rd, North

OG Felton, Robert (Arkansas) 3rd-4th, South

OG Benedict, Heath (Newberry) 4th, South

DE Jackson, Lawrence (Southern California) 1st-2nd, North

DE Ellis, Chris (Va. Tech) 2nd-3rd, North

DE Robertson, Darrell (Ga.Tech) 2nd-3rd, South

DE Avril, Cliff (Purdue) 3rd, North

DE Gilberry, Wallace (Alabama) 3rd-4th, South

DE Jones, Jason (Eastern Michigan) 3rd-4th, North

DE Brown, Titus (Mississippi State) 4th, South

DE Langford, Kendall (Hampton) 5th, South

DE Thompson, Jeremy (Wake Forest) 5th, South

DT Ellis, Sedrick (Southern California) 1st, North

DT Balmer, Kentwan (North Carolina) 1st-2nd, North

DT Moore, Dre (Maryland) 2nd-3rd, South

DT Bryant, Red (Texas A&M) 2nd-3rd, South

DT Laws, Trevor (Notre Dame) 3rd, North

DT Pressley, DeMario (N.C. State) 3rd-4th, North

DT Fluellen, Andre (Florida State) 4th, South

DT Harrison, Marcus (Arkansas) 5th-6th, South

OLB Rivers, Keith (Southern California) 1st, North

OLB Adibi, Xavier (Va. Tech) 1st, North

OLB Highsmith, Ali (LSU) 1st-2nd, South

OLB Davis, Bruce (UCLA) 2nd-3rd, North

OLB Crable, Shawn (Michigan) 2nd-3rd, North

OLB Dizon, Jordon (Colorado) 5th, North

ILB Connor, Dan (Penn State) 1st, North

ILB Bell, Beau (UNLV) 2nd, North

ILB Gooden, Tavares (Miami) 3rd, South

ILB Wheeler, Philip (Ga.Tech) 3rd-4th, South

ILB Moffitt, Ben (South Florida) 6th, South

CB Rodgers-Cromartie, Dominique (Tennessee State) 1st-2nd, South

CB McKelvin, Leodis (Troy) 2nd, South

CB Tribble, DeJuan (Boston College) 2nd, North

CB Thomas, Terell (Southern California) 2nd-3rd, North

CB Porter, Tracy (Indiana) 3rd, North

CB Godfrey, Charles (Iowa) 3rd-4th, North

CB Lee, Patrick (Auburn) 3rd-4th, South

CB Wheatley, Terrence (Colorado) 4th-5th, North

CB Jackson, Chevis (LSU) 4th-5th, South

FS Castille, Simeon (Alabama) 2nd-3rd, South

FS Demps, Quintin (UTEP) 2nd-3rd, South

FS Griffin, Marcus (Texas) 3rd-4th, South

FS DeCoud, Thomas (Cal) 4th-5th, North

SS Adams, Jamar (Michigan) 3rd, North

SS Zbikowski, Tom (Notre Dame) 3rd-4th, North

SS Woodyard, Wesley (Kentucky) 4th, South (He's listed for the game as a linebacker)

SS Wolfe, D.J. (Oklahoma) 4th-5th, South

K Serna, Alexis (Oregon State) 7th-FA, North

K Coutu, Brandon (Georgia) FA, South

P Brooks, Durant (Ga.Tech) 5th, South

P Dragosavich, Mike (North Dakota State) 6th, North

LS Sanborn, Garrison (Florida State) FA, South

LS Bugg, Tim (Indiana) FA, North

mclark
01-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Mayock has Henne as his #2 QB in the draft according to todays practice.

Gosder Cherilus had a really good practice and looked like another solid OT to come out of Boston College.

I think Henne is my favorite qb in the draft this year, even with some inconsistent play in college. He seems to have grown up quite a bit this season.

I'm not really too impressed with the qb's this year.

G_Money
01-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Tashard Choice is the most impressive runningback so far, followed by Matt Forte. Hey, my top two choices for RBs to pick for the Broncos should they fall at all. I like it. Glad for TC that he's healed enough to turn heads - I was afraid he might drop if he couldn't go full-speed. Well...afraid for him and hopeful for us, anyway.

And Gosder Cherilus I like better than Levi Brown from last year. He should be an anchor for any line, and a 1st rounder.

Trading back and taking Cherilus while getting another 2nd or 3rd rounder is a fond scenario of mine. Too bad we don't take 1st round OL - Clady and Cherilus I like a lot. Otah and Baker not as much, especially for us.

Thanks for the on-site reporting Boss.

~G

mclark
01-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Clady and Cherilus I like a lot. Otah and Baker not as much, especially for us.

~G

I agree.

mclark
01-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks for your reports, Boss. Very interesting reading. Sounds like you're having a great time.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks a lot BOSS.

Scout.com also confirmed the Adams stuff, and Roy Schuening was a guy they said we zeroed on on as well.

Didn't see the Castille bit, but makes sense, ya know?

G_Money
01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Castille's definitely a good conversion project. I doubt he makes it past the 3rd, but it's certainly possible. I don't like him as a pro corner, but as a safety? Yeah, that could work.

I'd want to do some interviewing with him, though. Getting declared academically ineligible for a bowl game and being arrested while a member of the team disciplinary council would seem to indicate someone without great judgment.

I wouldn't mind hearing his name called by us on the 2nd day though, not at all.

~G

BOSSHOGG30
01-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Some more quick tibits guys:

Lane Kiffin must think he is better than everyone else. I asked to talk with him and he laughed at me and walked away. I don't know if it was the Broncos Jacket I was wearing or what. But I didn't like how he just walked away from me.

Adarius Bowman dropped a lot of passes. He looks like He-man out there, but he needs to do a better job catching the football.

Shawn Crable stands out physically and looked impressive.

Sam Baker looked good in pass protection drills.

Roy Schuening is getting high praises from the scouts. He is very quick off the snap and shows good hands.

Jamar Adams is doing great… he is laying big hits on 7 on 7 drills.

Carl Nicks is doing very well, he isn’t letting opposing DE’s do much if anything at all. He is also playing very aggressively. Playing as he is out to prove something.

WR Andre Caldwell was probably the best receiver for the South. He even burnt Simeon Castille on one play for a long catch which probably would of went of a TD.

TE Brad Cottam was a huge surprise as well as a huge body. He looks like an offensive lineman but caught the ball well and moved around very well for a man his size. I will have to ask one of the scouts around here to find out how big that guy is.

Phillip Wheeler is laying people out and he is one mean dude. (even though they are told not to tackle) He just reacts quickly and gets to the ball carrier and pops them. He doesn’t need to tackle I guess…lol

Matt Forte is running hard and Tashard Choice is quick and powerful, still the stand out at runningback. (note) there wasn’t any tackling so we will see what happens when they have to avoid tackles.

Beau Bell was hurt I hope he is ok. He went back to the sidelines and then after talking with doctors they took him inside the complex. He was doing ok and showed good athletic ability, but looks like a 3-4 linebacker.

Rumor is that Broncos are talking with the Cowboys about a trade for DE Marcus Spears and LB Bobby Carpenter.

mclark
01-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Some more quick tibits guys:

Lane Kiffin must think he is better than everyone else. I asked to talk with him and he laughed at me and walked away. I don't know if it was the Broncos Jacket I was wearing or what. But I didn't like how he just walked away from me.

Rumor is that Broncos are talking with the Cowboys about a trade for DE Marcus Spears and LB Bobby Carpenter.

It probably was the jacket, Hogg. Or Kiffin is just an ass. Anything is possible.

Hope that rumor has legs.

CoachChaz
01-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Hopefully with the intent of making Spears a DT.

yardog
01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
What are we giving the Cowboys?

mclark
01-22-2008, 02:59 PM

"Future considerations."

BOSSHOGG30
01-22-2008, 03:07 PM

Don't know... one of the ESPN interns here said that he has learned that the Cowboys are looking to deal both guys and that the Broncos are one of the teams in talk with the Cowboys. He actually told me because I'm wearing my Broncos jacket and he thought I would like to know. Everyone is so friendly in the south... must be the awesome food.

yardog
01-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Maybe Gold, Walker and a pick.

BroncoAV06
01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Someone posted about this on BC. Something about them on the trading block in the Dallas papers, looks like a 4th rounder is the early speculation. I think Spears would be the main target, Carpenter is a ILB, but is very solid on speacial teams.

Trade rumors swirling about Carpenter, Spears
12:59 PM Tue, Jan 22, 2008 | Permalink
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Rumor has it that the Cowboys are shopping former first-round picks DE Marcus Spears and LB Bobby Carpenter at the Senior Bowl.

Carpenter simply isn't a fit in a 3-4 defense, which makes Bill Parcells' decision to pick him pretty puzzling. Carpenter couldn't get on the field in any of the Cowboys' defensive packages this season but was a solid special teams player. He wasn't considered a reach when the Cowboys drafted him 19th overall two years ago, so some 4-3 teams might be interested.

Spears isn't a bad player, but he hasn't lived up to his first-round billing. To use a Tuna term, he's J.A.G. If the Cowboys get rid of Spears, Jay Ratliff could take his job, with Jason Ferguson and Tank Johnson forming a good NT tandem.

G_Money
01-22-2008, 04:55 PM
The talent Spears possesses has never been in question.

I'm still not sure about his heart, and I like my DL with heart, but he's another up-the-field DT like Marcus Thomas, so I would find that interesting in and of itself, and for a 4th round pick that puts him in our price range.

He just never mastered the 3-4 end, so it's always possible that putting him back at his natural position gets us the DT we need without having to spend a 1st day pick on a guy who doesn't have any more talent than Spears does.

I'd be interested in that trade. Of course, I was interested to see what the Broncos were thinking when they brought in some of the buckets of slop this past season that they tried to pass off as DL talent. That didn't pan out too well.

But to put it another way: I much prefer the Broncos trade their picks for actual bodies than giving them away a la 2007 to move up unnecessarily and not getting anything useful for them. I prefer a trade for Spears that gives up a 4th rounder over a move up for Moss that winds up burning several picks in a cascade effect throughout the entire draft.

~G

Broncospsycho77
01-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Boss, how would you compare this class to others in the past, talent-wise? I've heard from all over that this draft class is extraordinarily weak in comparison to years' past.

G_Money
01-22-2008, 05:30 PM
At what position?

It's a weak QB class. Cutler is the no-contest #1 in this class, as is Leinart or Young. There wouldn't even be an argument.

It's a thin safety class, but most draft classes are thin at S - last year was an exception in that I thought there were 8 or 9 really quality prospects there, and that's rare. This year is gonna be more about S projects than true S talent.

OTOH it's a good CB class, and even with Maualuga and Laurinaitis going back to school it's still a decent LB class. It's a nice WR class and OT class.

DL is "eh" but it usually is. No better or worse than most classes in that regard.

And it's one of the best RB classes I can remember (and there are several good FBs, not a common thing).

So it all depends on what you're looking for. If CB, LB, OT, RB or WR, this is your class. If you need a great QB, S or C then that's not good, and the DL and OG slots are okay.

I wouldn't consider it a talent-strapped draft, though, by any means.

JMO.

~G

Broncospsycho77
01-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks ~G.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind picking up that fullback from Arkansas on the second day... we could use a solid blocker for our I-form/strong settings outside of Graham...

EMB6903
01-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Chris Williams out of Vandy has looked very impressive.

G_Money
01-22-2008, 06:19 PM

As I was blathering on about putting him back at his "natural" position of DT, I was thinking...

Has he ever played DT? He was a full-time DE at LSU wasn't he? So it might be a better fit for his talents but he's gonna have a learning curve for the position.

Hmmm...

~G

MHCBill
01-22-2008, 06:34 PM
So it all depends on what you're looking for. If CB, LB, OT, RB or WR, this is your class. If you need a great QB, S or C then that's not good, and the DL and OG slots are okay.

I wouldn't consider it a talent-strapped draft, though, by any means.

JMO.

~G
Good thing for us. One upside to being as bad as we were... lots of holes to fill.

tubby
01-22-2008, 07:02 PM
As I was blathering on about putting him back at his "natural" position of DT, I was thinking...

Has he ever played DT? He was a full-time DE at LSU wasn't he? So it might be a better fit for his talents but he's gonna have a learning curve for the position.

Hmmm...

~G

I was thinking he was a DT too. Maybe I got him confussed with that DT from LSU the Rams drafted a couple years ago? :confused:

mclark
01-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Defensive end in college.

WARHORSE
01-22-2008, 08:45 PM
The talent Spears possesses has never been in question.

I'm still not sure about his heart, and I like my DL with heart, but he's another up-the-field DT like Marcus Thomas, so I would find that interesting in and of itself, and for a 4th round pick that puts him in our price range.

He just never mastered the 3-4 end, so it's always possible that putting him back at his natural position gets us the DT we need without having to spend a 1st day pick on a guy who doesn't have any more talent than Spears does.

I'd be interested in that trade. Of course, I was interested to see what the Broncos were thinking when they brought in some of the buckets of slop this past season that they tried to pass off as DL talent. That didn't pan out too well.

But to put it another way: I much prefer the Broncos trade their picks for actual bodies than giving them away a la 2007 to move up unnecessarily and not getting anything useful for them. I prefer a trade for Spears that gives up a 4th rounder over a move up for Moss that winds up burning several picks in a cascade effect throughout the entire draft.

~G

Yeah G, but you also have to say it depends on whats available. Last year, we looked at every DT we could get. Looking back, the Broncos could have saved alot of money by doing NOTHING, and using the guys we had. Problem is, the fans would have skewered the whole organization, mostly Shanny. But we brought in what was available, which was pretty much nothing. Id rather be in an organization that wants to win bad enough to spend some kupe than to be with one who just sits there. Had any of the guys worked out, it would have been worth it.

As for the Moss, trade..........the article about their pick is in the draft talk forum under 'Anatomy of a Bronco draft ........'

If Moss pans out it was a great move....no?:beer:

But this is exactly one of the moves Im talkin about. If Spears comes for a fourth..........I love it. Carpenter as well..........depending on what we are giving up.

dogfish
01-23-2008, 01:20 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos;jsessionid=9CE4347E5BD8D743CB52A42D39260FAB ?videoId=09000d5d80627cae

brief clip from NFL network's senior bowl coverage, taken from NFL.com . . .

Stargazer
01-23-2008, 05:03 AM

If the Broncos pick him up I would hope he doesn't play DT. He belongs at DE.

Stargazer
01-23-2008, 05:09 AM
Everyone is so friendly in the south... must be the awesome food.

I'm sure if you've been in the south multiple times it's not the food. Southerners in general are friendly people compared to the rest of the nation.

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 07:54 AM
If the Broncos pick him up I would hope he doesn't play DT. He belongs at DE.

The man is every bit as big as Tank Johnson and really doesn't have much more than a bull rush routine. I think he could adapt to DT. Everyone is always saying they want to see Crowder move to DT...if he can do it...I think Spears could as well.

dogfish
01-23-2008, 08:05 AM
The man is every bit as big as Tank Johnson and really doesn't have much more than a bull rush routine. I think he could adapt to DT. Everyone is always saying they want to see Crowder move to DT...if he can do it...I think Spears could as well.

also, his potential versatility is something that makes him a bit more appealing. . . his skill set and body type make him a viable candidate at power end as well as DT, and it's always nice to have guys on the roster than can fill multiple roles if need be. . . he's no star, but he'd be a solid pickup if they'll take a 4th for him. . .

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 08:20 AM
also, his potential versatility is something that makes him a bit more appealing. . . his skill set and body type make him a viable candidate at power end as well as DT, and it's always nice to have guys on the roster than can fill multiple roles if need be. . . he's no star, but he'd be a solid pickup if they'll take a 4th for him. . .

Definately. If we can get him and Carpenter for Foxworth and a 4th...where do i sign up?

MHCBill
01-23-2008, 09:20 AM
I'd be more than happy to change my sig including Carpenter and Spears.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Marcus Spears is an underachiever who lacks motivation, and Carpenter was a questionable first round decision in the first place; who could only play special teams. He probably wasn't a choice for a 3-4; but adding these players is just acquiring more of the same. No thanks.

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Marcus Spears is an underachiever who lacks motivation, and Carpenter was a questionable first round decision in the first place; who could only play special teams. He probably wasn't a choice for a 3-4; but adding these players is just acquiring more of the same. No thanks.

I don't think ever upgrade can be for a Pro-Bowler. Is Spears an upgrade to the D-Line as it is now? I think he could be. Is Carpenter an upgrade over Gold? Hasn't had much of a chance to show it, but has a good motor and skills. He could also eventually allow us to move DJ to his natural spot. For the right price, I think we could benefit from these two.

BroncoAV06
01-23-2008, 01:59 PM
I just don't think that moving DJ again would be good. He did not do bad at all at MLB and Carpenter IMO would not be an upgrade. A 4th for Spears if that is what they are looking for would be fine with me, start to get to many players involved and I just don't like that scenario.

Senior Bowl, Hawkins and Bryant are making good showings as the top WR's so far from what I have read. I love Bryants return/recving ability.

G_Money
01-23-2008, 02:04 PM

I agree that Spears has underachieved, but so did Gerard Warren and everybody flipped out when we traded him because he was our best DL.

Spears has the same inconsistent motor that Okam has, and Moore has, and even Kentwan Balmer has.

But Spears has proven he can get on a field and contribute. It's not like he had a lot fewer tackles than the DL we were using.

Do I think he's a future Pro Bowler? No. But I don't think most of the DL in the draft will be future Pro Bowlers either. And unlike several of the guys in the draft I can be assured of a certain level of performance with Spears and still have a chance at more.

And we're not trading a 1st day pick for him. It frees us up to get the same level of performance we can reasonably expect from a non Dorsey/Ellis pick while spending the 1st day picks on a different position.

I'm okay with that.

I don't want Carpenter though - get a good LB in this draft. Getting a draft like Clady at OT and Wheeler/Connor at LB, plus adding Spears as a quality DT addition on the second day and then having 5 more picks to either move back to the 3rd round or draft more RB/FB/WR/OL to add to our talent level?

I'd feel pretty good if that happened. If a 4th or 5th rounder for Spears is the price of drafting great players at less-risky positions, then I'm more than willing to pay it.

~G

MHCBill
01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
If we can do Foxy and a fourth for Spears and Carpenter I would do it in a heartbeat.

Spears becomes a starter and fits the new scheme of bigger, stronger dlinemen.

Carpenter can play the middle or more likely strongside linebacker. We could move DJ to Will if we draft a MLB or leave DJ in the middle and add a weakside guy or let Winborn be a stop gap until next year.

This needs to happen.

fcspikeit
01-23-2008, 03:31 PM
I agree that Spears has underachieved, but so did Gerard Warren and everybody flipped out when we traded him because he was our best DL.

Spears has the same inconsistent motor that Okam has, and Moore has, and even Kentwan Balmer has.

But Spears has proven he can get on a field and contribute. It's not like he had a lot fewer tackles than the DL we were using.

Do I think he's a future Pro Bowler? No. But I don't think most of the DL in the draft will be future Pro Bowlers either. And unlike several of the guys in the draft I can be assured of a certain level of performance with Spears and still have a chance at more.

And we're not trading a 1st day pick for him. It frees us up to get the same level of performance we can reasonably expect from a non Dorsey/Ellis pick while spending the 1st day picks on a different position.

I'm okay with that.

I don't want Carpenter though - get a good LB in this draft. Getting a draft like Clady at OT and Wheeler/Connor at LB, plus adding Spears as a quality DT addition on the second day and then having 5 more picks to either move back to the 3rd round or draft more RB/FB/WR/OL to add to our talent level?

I'd feel pretty good if that happened. If a 4th or 5th rounder for Spears is the price of drafting great players at less-risky positions, then I'm more than willing to pay it.

~G

I agree for a 4th or 5th round pick we should grab him. Who is going to be there at that position that is better then him? Anything can happen but the odds are not very good we would get someone better.

However, I think even if we get him, if Ellis is there we grab him. Great DT's are hard to come by, Who knows when we will be picking this high again? He would be a good pickup in case Ellis is gone.

If both Ellis and Phillips are there and we have Spears we take Phillips. But I don't see both Ellis and Phillips beings there at 12.

We need help on the D-line anyways. There's a good chance we might go for Ellis in the 1st and still grab another DT/DE in the later rounds. If we got Spears we wouldn't have to reach for a DT. If we have the chance to grab a good one I still say we jump. But I don't want us reaching in the 1st for a DT. If we got Spears it would help take the pressure off our need on the D-line.

Besides that., he was a first rounder. Maybe he was a reach in the 1st? But would he have been a reach if taken in the 4th round?

Assuming Ellis is gone, would it be more of a reach to take Okam or Moore in the 2nd or Spears for a 4th/5th? I think the answer is pretty clear...

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 03:31 PM
When you can give up a spare part and a 2nd day pick and add two defensive starters that upgrade your squad...I think you have to do it. This deal alone opens ALOT of opportunities in the draft.

MHCBill
01-23-2008, 03:35 PM
When you can give up a spare part and a 2nd day pick and add two defensive starters that upgrade your squad...I think you have to do it. This deal alone opens ALOT of opportunities in the draft.
Freakin' exactly!!!

Requiem / The Dagda
01-23-2008, 05:15 PM

Well, I doubt a mid-rounder is going to get both of these guys.

G_Money
01-23-2008, 05:24 PM
I think Coach was referring to the persistent rumor of us trading Foxy.

4th rounder + Foxworth for the pair of Cowboys was the suggested trade.

~G

fcspikeit
01-23-2008, 06:07 PM
I think Coach was referring to the persistent rumor of us trading Foxy.

4th rounder + Foxworth for the pair of Cowboys was the suggested trade.

~G

Hence the, "a spare part and a 2nd day pick" :salute:

CoachChaz
01-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Nice to see some poeple read before passing judgement.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-23-2008, 07:52 PM
That trade would suck.

slim
01-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Don't know... one of the ESPN interns here said that he has learned that the Cowboys are looking to deal both guys and that the Broncos are one of the teams in talk with the Cowboys. He actually told me because I'm wearing my Broncos jacket and he thought I would like to know. Everyone is so friendly in the south... must be the awesome food.

Dude, you keep talking about the food....what gives? I need details, you can PM if you want. I mean it's not like you are in NO or something. :D

tubby
01-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Boss sure was quite yesterday. Must be getting cozy with Kiffin.

BOSSHOGG30
01-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Sorry guys... been busy down here.... Today has been crappy weather.

I guess I will list the guys who have really jumped out of the pack:

Dre Moore
Tracy Porter
Sedrick Ellis
Gosder Cherilus
Dan Conner
Philip Wheeler

These guys just just look incredible in practice.

I've tried watching the Broncos scouts when I get a chance, so here is the list of players I've seen them talk with and show interest in the past two days:

Jordan Dizon
Dan Conner: tuesday, wednesday, and today
Colt Brennan
Tracy Porter
Andre Fluellen
Dexter Jackson
Chauncey Washington
Oniel Cousins
Terrance Wheatley

Got to go grab something to eat no guys... let me know if you have any special request while I'm down here... maybe a guy you really like you want more info on or something.

BOSSHOGG30
01-24-2008, 03:58 PM
one more quick thing...

I know a lot of people are high on Kenny Philips, but I've talked with a lot of scouts and draft guru's down here and they say that Phillips isn't even the best safety in the draft... a lot of guys like DaJuan Morgan and they said don't be surprised if Morgan gets drafted before Phillips.

DallasChief
01-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Good reporting, Boss. I'll expect your article in my mailbox by 6:00 pm.

tia

tubby
01-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Does Lane Kiffin wear boxers or briefs?

MOtorboat
01-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks Boss...see if you can watch the Chiefs scouts a little and see who Carl is going to screw his pick up with...

Hey, is Carl there. You should meet him. I hear he's a real dick.

G_Money
01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Jordan Dizon - good, he'd be a great 2nd day addition. The next Keith Burns w/ more starting potential.
Dan Connor - I really like this kid, even though Chaz keeps warning me. I think Dan's gonna be a monster, and I'd love for him to be our pick.
Colt Brennan - Well, Jay does need a backup...but Colt?
Tracy Porter - Porter's a player, and a good returner IIRC, but what's with the CB thing? Maybe we want a Foxy replacement or are planning on moving Bly.
Andre Fluellen - Flu's a good up-the-field player, but he's not exactly stout against the run. We'll see what the Broncos are planning for their DT woes.
Dexter Jackson - Dexter can flat-out play. He'll make somebody an excellent slot receiver.
Chauncey Washington - This should make some folks happy. Not my guy, but I can see the interest.
Oniel Cousins - I've been all over this kid's nuts since November. I love his potential, and he'd make a great 2nd day mauler with potential to grow into a star.
Terrance Wheatley - I like Terrance, but I watched him get beat too many times in his career I guess. I'm not high on Talib either though.

Good stuff Boss, thanks. Stay dry down there.

~G

BroncoAV06
01-24-2008, 04:25 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18909
Todays Senior Bowl Chat, still going on; also has links to view the chats from previous days.

Can we look into the players that the Broncos are talking to? 1st rounders always are surprised that Denver grabbed them. I guess a few could be targets in the later rounds. Word out of the earlier practices T-Wheat was standing out as one of the top corners at the Senior Bowl.

fcspikeit
01-24-2008, 09:05 PM

Dre Moore
Tracy Porter
Sedrick Ellis
Gosder Cherilus
Dan Conner
Philip Wheeler

I've tried watching the Broncos scouts when I get a chance, so here is the list of players I've seen them talk with and show interest in the past two days:

Jordan Dizon
Colt Brennan
Tracy Porter
Andre Fluellen
Dexter Jackson
Chauncey Washington
Oniel Cousins
Terrance Wheatley

Got to go grab something to eat no guys... let me know if you have any special request while I'm down here... maybe a guy you really like you want more info on or something.

What are your thoughts on Trevor Laws? From what they showed of the DT's he looked great! In the scrimmages he could have killed the QB a couple times.

I don't know what his weigh in was? Scout.com has him listed at 6'0.5" 280.

He looked bigger then that. The way he was driving the blocker to the QB I would have thought he was over 300. I also seen him get in the backfield and stop the RB a couple times.

Colt seems to small to play QB. But I thought he looked the smoothest when the QB's were working with Marts, running through the drops, your thoughts?

dogfish
01-24-2008, 09:43 PM

Dre Moore
Tracy Porter
Sedrick Ellis
Gosder Cherilus
Dan Conner
Philip Wheeler

Jordan Dizon
Colt Brennan
Tracy Porter
Andre Fluellen
Dexter Jackson
Chauncey Washington
Oniel Cousins
Terrance Wheatley

good stuff, thanks for posting it. . . . :beer:

the more info on OTs and DTs the better, and keep an eye on wheeler for us. . .

BOSSHOGG30
01-25-2008, 12:18 PM
What are your thoughts on Trevor Laws? From what they showed of the DT's he looked great! In the scrimmages he could have killed the QB a couple times.

I don't know what his weigh in was? Scout.com has him listed at 6'0.5" 280.

He looked bigger then that. The way he was driving the blocker to the QB I would have thought he was over 300. I also seen him get in the backfield and stop the RB a couple times.

Colt seems to small to play QB. But I thought he looked the smoothest when the QB's were working with Marts, running through the drops, your thoughts?

He is actually closer to 300 lbs maybe a little over. He is doing very good too. I think it has more to do with the talent surrounding him and the fact that I'm not too impressed with most of the offensive line talent at the Senior Bowl.

BOSSHOGG30
01-25-2008, 12:23 PM
good stuff, thanks for posting it. . . . :beer:

the more info on OTs and DTs the better, and keep an eye on wheeler for us. . .

Most of the OT are doing a decent job... I've been really disappointed with the talent and fundamentals at the gaurd positions. Maybe the DT talent is just that good... I don't know, but the gaurds are getting blown up. I will try to get a better report for you on OT and DT in general.

As for Philip Wheeler.. he is one of the top 5 players at the entire Senior Bowl. He plays hard, runs well, and he will knock your socks off. I've seen at least two hits where he had sent the runningback's helmet flying off. I don't think you will find one person who is watching the Senior Bowl say that Wheeler isn't doing a great job. He might of helped his stock climb to the later or mid 1st round... that is how good he is doing.

BigDaddyBronco
01-25-2008, 12:33 PM
How about Red Bryant. Heard he was looking good. We do need a NT.

tubby
01-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Anything on Marcus Harrison?

BOSSHOGG30
01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Found out the Franchise and transition numbers... Not sure if someone already reported them. Sorry If someone already did.

These are the franchise numbers:
Cornerbacks $9.465 million
defensive ends $8.879 million
defensive tackle $6.363 million
linebacker $8.065 million
offensive line $7.455 million
kickers $2.541 million
quarterbacks $10.73 million
running backs $6.538 million
safeties $4.396 million
tight end $4.522 million
wide receivers $7.848 million

These are the transition numbers:
cornerbacks $7.659 million
defensive end $7.679 million
defensive tackle $5.654 million
linebacker $7.335 million
offensive line $6.895 million
kicker $2.245 million
quarterback $9.5 million
running back $5.699 million
safety $3.893 million
tight end $3.733 million
wide receiver $6.872 million

dogfish
01-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Most of the OT are doing a decent job... I've been really disappointed with the talent and fundamentals at the gaurd positions. Maybe the DT talent is just that good... I don't know, but the gaurds are getting blown up. I will try to get a better report for you on OT and DT in general.

As for Philip Wheeler.. he is one of the top 5 players at the entire Senior Bowl. He plays hard, runs well, and he will knock your socks off. I've seen at least two hits where he had sent the runningback's helmet flying off. I don't think you will find one person who is watching the Senior Bowl say that Wheeler isn't doing a great job. He might of helped his stock climb to the later or mid 1st round... that is how good he is doing.

thanks!

i almost hate to see him climbing like that, though-- with the picks we currently have, it makes it less likely that we'll get him. . . has he been playing MIKE?

BroncoAV06
01-25-2008, 03:00 PM
They chatted with Harrision today:

Buzzmaster: (2:05 PM ET ) Marcus Harrison from DT Arkansas is next!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe Meridian, MS: lovin these SEC guys!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
James (SF)`: How's you week been?

Marcus Harrison: (2:07 PM ET ) Good. We have basically been going out and competing with the best players down here.

Jeff (Michigan): Marcus, how was it defeating LSU in overtime AT LSU?

Marcus Harrison: (2:07 PM ET ) It felt great, being able to get the boot back since that is our rivalry.

mike (az): Marcus,are you suited to play a 3-4 or are you talents more 4-3 oriented?

Marcus Harrison: (2:08 PM ET ) I would feel more comfortable in a 4-3, because I am better there as far as pressuring the QB and collapsing the pocket.

Christian (High Point, NC): How was Houston Nutt as a coach?

Marcus Harrison: (2:09 PM ET ) He was a great coach. It was a unfortunate mistake with how Arkansas handled the situation. I think the fans were in control of what was going on there. They lost a good coach.

Thomas (STL): Marcus, do you feel that you are more effective as a pass rusher, or run stopping DT, and why?

Marcus Harrison: (2:10 PM ET ) Pretty much I am a run stopper. I love chadsing the ball, and running from sideline to sideline. I think once I egt better techinique I will be able to develop my pass rushing game.

Ryan (Ohio): Marcus, if I was a gm, what sticks out about you that would make me want you on my team?

Marcus Harrison: (2:10 PM ET ) I chase the ball from sideline to sideline. I give my best effort every play, tired or not.

Jeff (Michigan): What is the biggest hit you've laid on somebody?

Marcus Harrison: (2:11 PM ET ) It would probably be against Miss. St. and their QB. I got a nice picture there. I think it was a sack.

Jerad (Texas): What is your favorite pass rush move?

Marcus Harrison: (2:12 PM ET ) I pretty much like to bull rush, using my power and strength in my arm. After that I like using an inside move.

Ryan (San Antonio): Who was the best offensive lineman you faced in college, and who do you look forward going against in the pros?

Marcus Harrison: (2:14 PM ET ) The best guy I went up against would have to be Max Gene-Jean. And as far as the pros, everyone will be a challenege.

Corey (Philadelphia): Just how fast is the SEC?

Marcus Harrison: (2:15 PM ET ) Super fast. We have guys like McFadden, Felix Jones, Percy Harin, Halliday. There are guys on each team who are very fast, no matter who you play.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18910
Others-Ali Highsmith, Robert Felton, Andre Caldwell, Tim Bugg, Xavier Adibi, so far.

BOSSHOGG30
01-25-2008, 03:00 PM
How about Red Bryant. Heard he was looking good. We do need a NT.

I haven't seen him do that much. He is a hard guy to move but I haven't seen him pressure the QB much or make plays in the backfield. He is a big boy though. Looks very strong and plays aggressive. He actually got in a fight the other day with one of the other players. They started pushing eachother and throwing punches.

BOSSHOGG30
01-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Anything on Marcus Harrison?

I haven't noticed him at all... I really haven't been watching for him when the DT line up. I'll have to watch him and let you know something... I will also ask some of the scouts how he is doing since I've missed most of his workouts.

BOSSHOGG30
01-25-2008, 03:20 PM
It maybe hard to find a scout to talk to today though... most of the scouts left yesterday but I did see a few around here before I left for the hotel.

CoachChaz
01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
I haven't seen him do that much. He is a hard guy to move but I haven't seen him pressure the QB much or make plays in the backfield. He is a big boy though. Looks very strong and plays aggressive. He actually got in a fight the other day with one of the other players. They started pushing eachother and throwing punches.

I actually saw some of the footage of Bryant. He looked better than I expected, but he's not a pass rusher type. He definately tied up a few linemen though

Requiem / The Dagda
01-25-2008, 05:18 PM
If Red Bryant was here he'd be a 1-technique guy and wouldn't have to get after the passer. His job would be to tie up blockers and stop the run.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-26-2008, 10:51 PM
I think it's safe to say we don't even get a sniff of Sedrick Ellis...but now I'm interested in trading UP for him. Dude put on the necessary weight and is still blowing thigs up.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-26-2008, 11:08 PM
I was left w/ similar impressions after today's game that Boss stated earlier. The Guards looked awful. All the DTs were having field days...especially Ellis. The DT from Notre Dame looked solid too, but he's still sub 300lbs and was obviously facing weak guards. Cherilus looked very good at OT and Marcus Harriosn, DT, of Arkansas looked good too. The one DE that stood out I believe was from Wake Forest, but he was being discussed as a tweener. Dan Connor didn't miss any tackles and contributed quite a bit, but alos looked out of position a few times...but w/ 1 week of practice...

None of the RBs made me forget about who we already have. The kid from Tulane ran tough, but I don't think he's an upgrade for us.

Oh...and call me a homer all ya want, but Ainge looked very solid at QB. Had they passed more in his other 2 possessions, he'd easily have been over 200 yards...

...which leads to this. I'd like to order 1 Harry Douglas please. He's gonna be a nice slot receiver and would be a great complement to the Brandons. He's a bit small, but very fast and hard to tackle in open space. Also appears to have good hands and makes tough catches.

Anyway...that's what I saw today.

BOSSHOGG30
01-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Cherilus looked good didn't he... I know he was played at RT, but he practiced at both and he did good at both... the guy is athletic.

If Sedrick Ellis, Dan Conner, or Glenn Dorsey aren't available at 12, I really do hope Denver trades back and picks up another 1st day pick. I would love to see them add guys like Cherilus, Wheeler, and Cromartie or something like that instead of reaching for a guy at 12.

BOSSHOGG30
01-27-2008, 07:45 AM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/Zbikowski.jpg
Zbikowski
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/TracyPorter.jpg
Tracy Porter
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/Nolan.jpg
Nolan
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/Kiffin.jpg
Kiffin
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/MarcusHarrisonRedBryant.jpg
Marcus Harrison & Red Bryant

BOSSHOGG30
01-27-2008, 07:48 AM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/KeithRivers.jpg
Keith Rivers & Bruce Davis
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/Henne.jpg
Henne
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/Gosder.jpg
Cherilus
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/Flacco.jpg
Flacco
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/ErikAinge.jpg
Erik Ainge

BOSSHOGG30
01-27-2008, 07:50 AM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/DJHall.jpg
DJ Hall
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/DempsandCastille.jpg
Demps & Castille
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/DeMarioPressley.jpg
Pressley
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/ColtBrennan.jpg
Brennan
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/BeauBellShawnCrable.jpg
Beau Bell & Shawn Crable

BOSSHOGG30
01-27-2008, 07:51 AM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/BeauBell.jpg
Beau Bell
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/Abidi.jpg
Abidi

MOtorboat
01-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Great pics boss...

I know we don't need a quarterback, but I'm just curious about Flacco. 6-6, 230 is big...can he move at all, does he have the arm?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-27-2008, 01:40 PM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o5/bosshogg30/ErikAinge.jpg
Erik Ainge

It's like he's looking right at me...Thanx Boss

SmilinAssasSin27
01-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Did beau Bell even play? cuz I don't remember his name being called.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Awesome picks BOSS!

Skinny
01-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Beau Bell looks HUGE ...

Thanks for the pics ...

dogfish
01-27-2008, 03:44 PM
great pics!

lane kiffin looks like he's about to cry. . . . :lol:

SmilinAssasSin27
01-27-2008, 04:28 PM
great pics!

lane kiffin looks like he's about to cry. . . . :lol:

He knows he may be done in Oakland...those are tears of joy.

Scarface
01-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Great pics boss...

I know we don't need a quarterback, but I'm just curious about Flacco. 6-6, 230 is big...can he move at all, does he have the arm?

He's got a lot of arm. Probably the biggest arm in the draft.

fcspikeit
01-27-2008, 06:28 PM
He's got a lot of arm. Probably the biggest arm in the draft.

He does seems to have a great arm. But out of all the QB's I seen there, he missed the most passes. He needs to work on his accuracy...

SmilinAssasSin27
01-27-2008, 06:41 PM
He doesn't have the feet. We'll never hear his name again.

fcspikeit
01-28-2008, 07:18 PM
He doesn't have the feet. We'll never hear his name again.

Who Flacco?

I disagree, He has his problems that's for sure but in this QB class he is rising. He has the biggest arm in the draft and I see him going 3rd or 4th round. A lot will depend on the combine..

fcspikeit
01-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I watched the game last night.. After watching it a couple things became clear... There is no way in hell Ellis falls to us at 12. NO WAY! He might get taken before Dorsey. I would give my left arm to get him here. He is outstanding. Maybe we will trade up to get a crack at him... I normaly don't like the idea of trading up, but for him to be playing as hard as he was with so little to prove, really says something about him.

I also really liked Trevor Laws, Maybe we could get him in the second round if we go S or OL in the first? He has a great motor.. Did you see that spin move when he got the fumble recovery? That was awesome! For a big guy to move like that with as much power as he has is simply incredible. He had to jump a couple rounds in the draft by the week he had.

Colt Brennan might go undrafted. Most the QB's looked like crap but he has an even weaker arm then I thought. He wound up and threw that deep ball as hard as he could and it only went 35 yards. Flacco is supposed to have the best arm, when he threw the int off the beep throw it only went about 50 yards. What is the deal? I can throw the ball 65 on a bad day. I would bet I could out throw Brennan's deep ball on a rope. I can throw the ball 40 yards and it never clear 8 feet. Are these guys weaker then normal or do I just expect to much out of these kids?

I don't know, but I can't see any of these guys ever being elite passers in the NFL.

BroncoAV06
01-28-2008, 09:40 PM
I agree with the elite passer comment. That is why Flacco could actually end up in the 2nd if a team such as CHI starts to really like him. You don't see a lot of upside in Ryan, Woodson has reallly struggled overall, Ainge/Henne have been solid but you still don't see huge upside there, and Brohm is the one that is boom or bust in my mind. Should be interesting to see who starts to stand out heading to April.