PDA

View Full Version : Why the heck did Orton continue to play?

CraigHwk
11-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Completely unnecessary and dangerous. There was ZERO reason to keep Orton in the game after the 3rd quarter. He was obviously hurting and you could see him limping around a bit, but he stayed in anyway. Inexcusable.

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Ugh.

So, Orton isn't hurt anymore. The "gamble" paid off.

P.S. Simms WAS really that bad.

slim
11-22-2009, 07:50 PM
I love how everyone is now in love with Orton.

Three months ago he was a hack.

Excuse me while I laugh my mother ******* ass off.

CraigHwk
11-22-2009, 07:51 PM
This has nothing to do with how well he was playing, but why the heck would you play an obviously injured player? Just doesn't seem right.

Chargersroll
11-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Not a troll, really. This thread topic was my biggest question during the game. In the 4th quarter i thought McD was risking the Broncos season by keeping him in. BTW, i know the score looks terrible, but the game was closer than the score indicates IMO. Also, i never saw it on our cable network (maybe you all did around Denver) but i never had an explanation for either of those unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. What was going on there?

Dreadnought
11-22-2009, 08:58 PM
I love how everyone is now in love with Orton.

Three months ago he was a hack.

Excuse me while I laugh my mother ******* ass off.

Orton remains a hack, just as he was three months ago. He is also far and away our best option at QB, and does the best he can with a limited skill set. He had no business being risked on that field today, because without him .500 may be out of reach.

The two aren't mutually exclusive

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Orton remains a hack, just as he was three months ago. He is also far and away our best option at QB, and does the best he can with a limited skill set. He had no business being risked on that field today, because without him .500 may be out of reach.

The two aren't mutually exclusive

Except for the fact that he isn't a hack...but its clear that the Orton haters are out tonight to blame this loss on him, because their boy Cutler is in Chicago.

Northman
11-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I would rather have a 85% Orton out there than any of the backups. Either way, its going to be a tough finish to the end of the season but im glad Orton played and tried to help the team out. Maybe if he had started the momentum may not have shifted so bad towards the Chargers.

Dreadnought
11-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Except for the fact that he isn't a hack...but its clear that the Orton haters are out tonight to blame this loss on him, because their boy Cutler is in Chicago.

Thats nonsense on stilts and you know it. Orton isn't to blame for this, and I haven't seen anyone claim it was. McDaniels? Yup - first and foremost. Simms? Yup - putrid. The defense? yup - soft and flabby. Orton did everything you could ask of him and then some. He just should have sat this one out; thats not his fault.

You don't get to make up other people's argument for them and then attempt to refute them. It doesn't work that way.

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Thats nonsense on stilts and you know it. Orton isn't to blame for this, and I haven't seen anyone claim it was. McDaniels? Yup - first and foremost. Simms? Yup - putrid. The defense? yup - soft and flabby. Orton did everything you could ask of him and then some. He just should have sat this one out; thats not his fault.

You don't get to make up other people's argument for them and then attempt to refute them. It doesn't work that way.

I've heard months and months of this argument, and now that he's playing shitty and we're losing, I get to hear this crap...and now all I hear is "you're making it up. My argument about Cutler doesn't exist."

It's quite comical.

KCL
11-22-2009, 09:12 PM
I watched the game and wondered the same thing about why Orton stayed in.When the game was clearly out of reach he should have been taken out.He threw some good passes but did look hurt.

The turnovers didn't help either....course that goes without saying and I think SD was very fired up for this game..that also goes without saying...but I said them anyway.

Chargersroll
11-22-2009, 09:21 PM
It was actually quite a day for the afc west in general. Every game that could have been won, was won by the afc west. The Raiders look like they might be a tougher game without Tubbo back under center. The Chiefs have been making good use of our boy Chambers, also.

KCL
11-22-2009, 09:29 PM
It was actually quite a day for the afc west in general. Every game that could have been won, was won by the afc west. The Raiders look like they might be a tougher game without Tubbo back under center. The Chiefs have been making good use of our boy Chambers, also.

Like I told sanluis Chambers was a much needed addition and a great pickup for the Chiefs...with Bowe out..he really helped today.

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 09:49 PM

But instead, this loss'll be pinned on Simms, since he started! Yea!!!!!

Retribution!!!!!!

If that fumble at the 1" line hadn't occurred, 13-7, it's an entirely different game. Instead, mayhem broke out.
I thought the onside kick was ill-timed. Maybe in a shoot-out, but not when your offense is struggling with a chance of giving up important field position.

But through it all, I think they come out Thursday night, and play the best game of the year.

Why do I say that? Because they're now battling for something....their pride!

The players that WANT to be on the team will be stepping up - and I hope it's Scheff/Hillis/Orton, and the entire Defense, specifically!
I also think Nolan needs to get out of the box and down on the field. Not sure why.....just grabbing at straws. lol

Call me an eternal optimist, but I see good coming out of this.

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 09:53 PM
I would rather have a 85% Orton out there than any of the backups. Either way, its going to be a tough finish to the end of the season but im glad Orton played and tried to help the team out. Maybe if he had started the momentum may not have shifted so bad towards the Chargers.

Well, if the Orton haters hadn't had to witness the futile, pitiful play of Simms, then we'd still be having to hear how he was better. Maybe now Woody will STHU, too. :elefant:

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Like I told sanluis Chambers was a much needed addition and a great pickup for the Chiefs...with Bowe out..he really helped today.

Wrong forum!

Shit teams >>>>> that-a-way!

Shazam!
11-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Brandstater needs to be moved up the depth chart ready or not. This much is certain. He certainly can't be much worse.

Ravage!!!
11-22-2009, 10:02 PM
I actually have a problem with the coaches on this. If Orton was good enough to come into the game after just two series.... why wasn't Orton starting?

Two things here. Biggest game of the year. If Orton is healthy enough to start.. then start. If he's not healthy enough to play, then there is NO reason to bring him in after the third series. You can't be healthy enough to bring into the game, and not be healthy enough to start.

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 10:06 PM
I actually have a problem with the coaches on this. If Orton was good enough to come into the game after just two series.... why wasn't Orton starting?

Two things here. Biggest game of the year. If Orton is healthy enough to start.. then start. If he's not healthy enough to play, then there is NO reason to bring him in after the third series. You can't be healthy enough to bring into the game, and not be healthy enough to start.

That, really, is the only point of contention anyone should have.

Medford Bronco
11-22-2009, 10:12 PM

Yeah he is really looking great today:lol:\

He is a bum and sucks

topscribe
11-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Completely unnecessary and dangerous. There was ZERO reason to keep Orton in the game after the 3rd quarter. He was obviously hurting and you could see him limping around a bit, but he stayed in anyway. Inexcusable.

When the Broncos got down 20-3, I wouldn't have minded, had they brought in
Brandstater. The game was lost at that point, anyway, so I agree that they
should not have kept playing Orton.

-----

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 10:16 PM
They brought in Orton when it was 13-3.

Had they brought in Brandstater at that point, neither of the backup quarterbacks could have played, by rule.

So let us get a grip...TIA

topscribe
11-22-2009, 10:17 PM

Mo, you are making utterly NO sense at all at this point.

You know how I have supported Orton.

But I don't see where much of anyone is talking about Cutler here . . .

-----

CraigHwk
11-22-2009, 10:25 PM
I guess my meaning of this post was lost somewhere. I didn't ask the question because of how he performed, or the final score, but out of concern for his injury. It looks like he needed another week or two of rest.

Oh well.

I do agree that if he was "good enough" to come in later in the game, he should have started. Just a weird decision in my opinion.

Shazam!
11-22-2009, 10:27 PM
When the Broncos got down 20-3, I wouldn't have minded, had they brought in
Brandstater. The game was lost at that point, anyway, so I agree that they
should not have kept playing Orton.

-----

I agree with this. He was brought in when the game wasn't out of reach. If Orton had been further injured it would've been really bad. No reason not to bring in Brandy for garbage time and see what he has.

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Orton was brought in when it was 13-3...

If that's out of reach...honestly, I'm petty sure that a bunch of people really don't have a clue what happened.

topscribe
11-22-2009, 10:31 PM

If that's out of reach...honestly, I'm petty sure that a bunch of people really don't have a clue what happened.

It was 13-0. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d814679a8/WK-11-Kyle-Orton-highlights

-----

Ravage!!!
11-22-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm guessing not very many people watch many of the NFL games this entire week. We saw teams 'look' like the game was out of reached, and they came back. LOTs of times. 13-0 is only out of reach for our offense.

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 10:32 PM
It was 13-0. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d814679a8/WK-11-Kyle-Orton-highlights

-----

Ah, you got one on me. Congrats. Now, just as a favor, try to read and pay attention from here on out.

TIA.

Shazam!
11-22-2009, 10:33 PM
MO what's the argument here? He was brought in when the game was still in reach. Did he stay too long? Probably. But to say he shouldn't have been brought in when he came in, makes no sense. At the time he gave them the best chance to win.

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 10:35 PM
MO what's the argument here? He was brought in when the game was still in reach. Did he stay too long? Probably. But to say he shouldn't have been brought in when he came in, makes no sense. At the time he gave them the best chance to win.

That's not the argument being made.

The argument is whether he should have played at all.

topscribe
11-22-2009, 10:36 PM

I think Mo just wants to hit somebody .. . anybody. :couch:

-----

Shazam!
11-22-2009, 10:37 PM
That's not the argument being made.

The argument is whether he should have played at all.

Gotcha.

Broncos4Ever24
11-22-2009, 10:38 PM
i was hoping to see Bradnstater get some reps there in the 4th. but id rather see an injured Orton than Chris Simms, I hope that guy never touches a field again

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 10:39 PM

-----

And I'm the one making it personal...

KCL
11-22-2009, 10:52 PM

-----

Maybe me...for being a troll...LMAO!

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 10:58 PM

Orton got them the 3pts....not Simms.

What was that about not having "a clue"? :D

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 11:02 PM
And I'm the one making it personal...

try to read and pay attention from here on out.

umm... :coffee: