PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Phillips?

bmarsh15
01-20-2008, 08:47 PM
If Kenny Phillips is available when we pick at the 12th pick would you take him if Sedrick Ellis is gone?

claymore
01-20-2008, 08:48 PM
If Kenny Phillips is available when we pick at the 12th pick would you take him if Sedrick Ellis is gone?Geez, good Question.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Phillips is a player I can stomach at #12 because the value elsewhere for a decent safety is just really bad. If you want Reggie Smith to play safety, he's another first round guy, but I'm not so sure he plays it in the NFL. If Lynch decides to hang them up, Phillips would be an excellent selection at #12. It's a good selection either way, but I'd prefer for us to trade down.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-20-2008, 08:58 PM
I dunno. Did ya read the other 55 draft threads?

Skinny
01-20-2008, 09:09 PM
In a heartbeat ...

WARHORSE
01-21-2008, 02:59 AM
If Ellis, Dorsey, Long, Long and the top notch scrappers are gone, heck yes.

Phillips is a very good safety that we all will love imo. He brings the wood, has range, hands and tackles well.

I would take him in a heartbeat.

Stargazer
01-21-2008, 04:58 AM
We'll see. As of now, I think Phillips would be a great addition to the Broncos. The NFL season isn't over yet, and a lot can happen now & the draft in late April.

Scarface
01-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I've been wanting a stud safety for the last 3-4+ yrs. I'd take Phillips even though he's not my favorite safety prospect to come out lately.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-21-2008, 08:26 PM
I did like Landry better, but that's about it lately.

dogfish
01-22-2008, 01:18 AM
no.

mclark
01-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Yes. We need to re-build the middle of our defense -- and Ellis will be gone.

Lancane
01-22-2008, 09:07 PM
No...this is a very weak defensive class, unless you need a good defensive end...lol. And I do not see us taking another this year, even the linebacker positions are overall a bit weak this year. I think we go offense in the top of the draft, maybe go defense in the 2nd round, but I would not be surprised if our three first picks secure the offense and then we try to get some latter round steals defensively.

Next year will be a terrific year for defensive talent, with safeties such as Mays, Ellison, Rolle, Harris and Pegues who will all likely be taken before the 2nd round, defensive tackles are just as deep with Granger, Woods, Maola, Pryor, Taylor, Bolden, Marks and Miller...and look at the linebackers in next years draft...Cushing, Lee, Laurinaitis, Maualuga, Spikes, Sharpton, Beckwith and Carter. Halfbacks will not be as good give maybe James, Davis, Moreno and Wells. The only likely first round receivers next year will be Crabtree, Harvin, Hayward-Bey and possibly LaFell.

With all that, I think it would be better to fix the offense this draft, try as I said for latter round defensive steals, what we do not fix this year on defense, with all the talent next year? No problem, but if we move to fix the defense this year, then next year when we need to fix the offense, it will be just as hard!

SmilinAssasSin27
01-22-2008, 09:10 PM
How are the linebackers weak? Not saying they won't be good next year too, but this is one of the deepest LB drafts in recent memory. Connor, Mayo, Lofton, Goff, Vince Hall, Beau Bell, Adibi, Highsmith, Rivers, Wheeler, Gooden, geno Hayes...etc...etc... Most, if not all of those names will go in the first 2 rounds.

We must see things completly different, cuz I see the Safeties and DTs as a pile of crap. I count 2.5 who will be locks...cuz Balmer will be a project. Otherwise I see a bunch of pigs w/ no heart that get pushed around the field after quarter #2. After KP, and MAYBE the Sooner who may likely end up a CB (Smith), there is NOONE else worth a day 1 pick. They're either too slow, too short or not productive enough for their measurements.

And the O doesn't need "fixed". The line needs to be healthy, but the O was hardly the problem. I would like a RB fairly early on, but the D IS the issue and needs addressed sooner than later.

Zweems56
01-22-2008, 09:12 PM
How are the linebackers weak? Not saying they won't be good next year too, but this is one of the deepest LB drafts in recent memory. Connor, Mayo, Lofton, Goff, Vince Hall, Beau Bell, Adibi, Highsmith, Rivers, Wheeler, Gooden, geno Hayes...etc...etc... Most, if not all of those names will go in the first 2 rounds.

Agreed. I'd hardly call this linebacking class weak.

Lancane
01-22-2008, 09:17 PM

Those I mentioned all look to be first rounders...Rivers and Connors are the best this year and may be the only two taken in round one, not saying that we could not find a steal in maybe Crabel or Bell...Adibi is one of the meanest linebackers in the draft, fact is that next year would be a good year to go defensively. I believe next year Webster and Winborn are both free agents after this year, if we signed Bailey or another linebacker this, we would be set for one year...next year we could basically steal the draft defensively when it is so much easier, that is the problem with need, and unless you have a great pick, which we do and unfortunatley the chances of us getting Phillips or Ellis are 1/10, you usually can not fill needs with those who fill the needs so thin.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Boss Bailey is AWFUL! Garbage. Not an upgrade. Actually a downgrade. He is THAT BAD! STAY AWAY!!!!!

SmilinAssasSin27
01-22-2008, 09:19 PM
I still think we should send Foxxy to Big D for Bobby carpenter. He's solid, but just doesn't fit the 3-4.

Slick
01-22-2008, 09:22 PM
I still think we should send Foxxy to Big D for Bobby carpenter. He's solid, but just doesn't fit the 3-4.

I read somewhere else Dallas was going to shop him and Spears. I'd hope we'd at least make a call to them.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
There was talk of that trade during the season when the Dallas CBs were banged up. I thought it was a great idea, but I think Shanny got greedy and wanted pix as well.

Lancane
01-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Boss Bailey is AWFUL! Garbage. Not an upgrade. Actually a downgrade. He is THAT BAD! STAY AWAY!!!!!

Look all I am saying is that while this linebacker class...I would say has some talent and is deep, next year their will be some elite linebacker talent. Same with defensive tackles and safety, I really would not mind not signing a free agent linebacker and adding one in the draft, it could be a wise move to skip defensive tackle and safety though till next year and then draft another high caliber linebacker...

I really would not mind if we drafted HB/LB/WR/OT/S this year and then next year when it is real deep with talent going DT/S/LB...it makes more sense.

Stargazer
01-23-2008, 04:31 AM
I read somewhere else Dallas was going to shop him and Spears. I'd hope we'd at least make a call to them.

Carpenter hasn't worked out in Dallas. And I was surprised Dallas drafted Spears. Depending on the input, I wonder how much the big tuna had say on draft day in Dallas and the personnel decisions in building the team? Maybe this is part of the reason he has taken the job in Miami.

Stargazer
01-23-2008, 04:38 AM
if we signed Bailey or another linebacker this, we would be set for one year..

Why even bother? I thought Shanahan wants to build a championship team. Bailey isn't & never will be part of the equation or the answer to one of Denver's LB positions.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Why even bother? I thought Shanahan wants to build a championship team. Bailey isn't & never will be part of the equation or the answer to one of Denver's LB positions.

Although I think he sux, he may still be part of the equation at some point...given the family ties.

lex
01-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Pass on Phillips. Id rather find a stop gap free agent then draft someone to groom in the mid/late rounds this year OR wait for a year when there isnt such a dearth of safety talent in the first 2 rounds. I was actually for taking a safety last year.

broncofanatic1987
01-27-2008, 07:32 PM
If Kenny Phillips is available when we pick at the 12th pick would you take him if Sedrick Ellis is gone?

No, I would take Keith Rivers.

Fix the front seven Shanahan! Please! If not, then fix the offensive line with Ryan Clady or Sam Baker.:pray2: