PDA

View Full Version : We are who we thought we were?

honz
11-22-2009, 06:44 PM
So before the season started, even the most optimistic of Bronco fans thought we were a 9-7 team. After a hot start and much hype and excitement, it appears they were right. We are a mediocre team that may squeeze into the playoffs if we can play well the rest of the way and win the games we should win.

We have mediocre talent up front on defense and it is beginning to show. I still like Orton more than most, but we could use an upgrade at QB and I suspect McD will look at QB's closely in the upcoming draft. We can win with Orton and we could do a lot worse, but he will never be a "top tier" QB. Our interior line still can't get it done in short yardage/red zone situations...a problem we have had for many years. We need to beef up up front if we truly want to be a power running team.

I still like McD and I think he is going to take this franchise places, but every coach needs more than 1 year to get his players in there and to do what we have done with the amount of roster changes we had is pretty damn good. If you were told that we would be 6-4 after 10 games before the season, I think most of you would have taken that in a heartbeat. I know I would have.

Dzone
11-22-2009, 06:49 PM
You make a good point. We certainly have gotten more entertainment than we expected in August

Shazam!
11-22-2009, 06:49 PM
We'd all have taken 6-4, but not this kind of 6-4.

Denver may not win a game in the month of November.

Even a Wild Card spot is beginning to look out of reach.

I'd hoped this team could've finished 9-7. If they can I'll be happy. Not looking to good as of right now.

The rest of the schedule is tough with NY, Philly, Indy, and even KC isn't gimme-games at this point.

This team is in big trouble.

LRtagger
11-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Orton can be an adequate QB for us when everyone is firing on all cylinders. The problem is, Orton can't raise his game to make up for terrible play at other positions.

When everything is working right, I would be more than happy with Orton behind center...but when we fumble, defense sucks, ST sucks, Orton is not the kind of player than can make plays on his own to make up for that kind of stuff.

It's tough to find someone who can do that. I think we would be better off going with Orton for another year or two and trying to fix the rest of the team rather than trying to find a HOF QB that can carry a mediocre team to greatness. We build a solid team and then draft a QB and handhold him into the NFL (ala the Steelers and Ben).

Superchop 7
11-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Dear Superchop 7,

You are not as dumb as I thought you were,

Signed,

Superchop 7

dogfish
11-22-2009, 07:21 PM
you're right, honz. . . i think that age and a lack of talent have caught up with the defense-- you can only scheme so much. . . also, injuries have exposed our lack of depth-- simms was worse than useless when called on, and polumbus was overmatched against shaun philips today. . .

it's crushing to come apart like this after such a white-hot start, but i've at least seen enough to be optimistic about the future again. . . we have a lot of holes that are going to need filled, and our FO and head coach still have a lot to learn, but we do have some strong pieces in place if we can retain most of them. . .

and as much as it feels like it right now, this season isn't over just yet either. . . but even if we fall short of the playoffs, i still feel pretty good about our chances going forward with another year or two to reshape the roster to what mcdaniels wants. . .

MasterShake
11-22-2009, 07:28 PM
So before the season started, even the most optimistic of Bronco fans thought we were a 9-7 team. After a hot start and much hype and excitement, it appears they were right. We are a mediocre team that may squeeze into the playoffs if we can play well the rest of the way and win the games we should win.

We have mediocre talent up front on defense and it is beginning to show. I still like Orton more than most, but we could use an upgrade at QB and I suspect McD will look at QB's closely in the upcoming draft. We can win with Orton and we could do a lot worse, but he will never be a "top tier" QB. Our interior line still can't get it done in short yardage/red zone situations...a problem we have had for many years. We need to beef up up front if we truly want to be a power running team.

I still like McD and I think he is going to take this franchise places, but every coach needs more than 1 year to get his players in there and to do what we have done with the amount of roster changes we had is pretty damn good. If you were told that we would be 6-4 after 10 games before the season, I think most of you would have taken that in a heartbeat. I know I would have.

Good post. My biggest surprise is how fragile this team is. After the Simms fumble, they acted like they were already down 30. You won't win many games with that kind of attitude.

After Simms was pulled you could feel a spark from Orton, but that fumble in the endzone was pretty much the game for us.

Thank god for short weeks and cheap whiskey!

Congrats to the Chargers on a great win. I just hope we can eek out 4 wins in the next several weeks. Maybe this Giants game will be the one were we take that frustration and use it for good.

The most disappointing thing for me right now is that I went from the lowest of the low last season with the big loss at SD to end the season, then even lower when we lost Shanny and Cutler. Then there was the great 6 games to start the year and things looked good. Now things are shaping up pretty much how the experts, and honestly even myself thought they would.

That being said, there is a lot of football left. I don't "think" it could get much worse than today, and I sure as hell hope it gets better!

Northman
11-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Indeed, we are who we thought we were and more than some thought we were.

Reidman
11-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Dear Broncos Organization,

Thank you for a stellar first six games. Even if you don't win another game all season you've given us hope for the future. Please make sure Simm's car finds it's way into a ditch on the way home from the stadium...

Your friend-

Reid

Medford Bronco
11-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey Simms dont take the pink slip personally

and those who Say Garcia would not be better must not have watched the last 2 qts
against Wash and most of the first half today. He sucks badly. I thought he was okay, boy was I wrong.

and Moreno learn not to fumble that one killed us today

Superchop 7
I can guarantee you guys,

This team is not that far off.

Elite QB, Elite NT.

Quality DE

Quality L guard

Depth at Right Tackle

Punter

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

And we will be dominant.

Seriously.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Do

Dreadnought
Now things are shaping up pretty much how the experts, and honestly even myself thought they would.

I will admit, it usually chaps my Ass when football experts are right.

Medford Bronco
11-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Orton can be an adequate QB for us when everyone is firing on all cylinders. The problem is, Orton can't raise his game to make up for terrible play at other positions.

When everything is working right, I would be more than happy with Orton behind center...but when we fumble, defense sucks, ST sucks, Orton is not the kind of player than can make plays on his own to make up for that kind of stuff.

It's tough to find someone who can do that. I think we would be better off going with Orton for another year or two and trying to fix the rest of the team rather than trying to find a HOF QB that can carry a mediocre team to greatness. We build a solid team and then draft a QB and handhold him into the NFL (ala the Steelers and Ben).

We need to run the footblall and NOT FUMBLE

also stopping another team on 3rd down would be nice

Oh well:mad:

SoCoPoCo
11-22-2009, 07:39 PM
The same description was always made about Griese, FWIW. Can't blame the QB for the fumbles, penalties, or the defense getting gouged for almost 5 yards a pop but the point is well made.

*Atwater*
11-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Hey Simms dont take the pink slip personally

and those who Say Garcia would not be better must not have watched the last 2 qts
against Wash and most of the first half today. He sucks badly. I thought he was okay, boy was I wrong.

and Moreno learn not to fumble that one killed us today

Every time I saw Sims drop pack to pass I cringed.

Medford Bronco
11-22-2009, 07:41 PM
you're right, honz. . . i think that age and a lack of talent have caught up with the defense-- you can only scheme so much. . . also, injuries have exposed our lack of depth-- simms was worse than useless when called on, and polumbus was overmatched against shaun philips today. . .

it's crushing to come apart like this after such a white-hot start, but i've at least seen enough to be optimistic about the future again. . . we have a lot of holes that are going to need filled, and our FO and head coach still have a lot to learn, but we do have some strong pieces in place if we can retain most of them. . .

and as much as it feels like it right now, this season isn't over just yet either. . . but even if we fall short of the playoffs, i still feel pretty good about our chances going forward with another year or two to reshape the roster to what mcdaniels wants. . .

I still think we need to get a good amount of more talent here on both sides of the ball, including a long term solution at QB]

I like Orton but he is not a long term solution. and neither is the turnover machine in Chicago either (He will probably throw 5 tds tonight lol)

Timmy!
11-22-2009, 07:44 PM
The season is decided on Thanksgiving. Period.

smith49
11-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Good post. My biggest surprise is how fragile this team is. After the Simms fumble, they acted like they were already down 30. You won't win many games with that kind of attitude.

After Simms was pulled you could feel a spark from Orton, but that fumble in the endzone was pretty much the game for us.

Thank god for short weeks and cheap whiskey!

Congrats to the Chargers on a great win. I just hope we can eek out 4 wins in the next several weeks. Maybe this Giants game will be the one were we take that frustration and use it for good.

The most disappointing thing for me right now is that I went from the lowest of the low last season with the big loss at SD to end the season, then even lower when we lost Shanny and Cutler. Then there was the great 6 games to start the year and things looked good. Now things are shaping up pretty much how the experts, and honestly even myself thought they would.

That being said, there is a lot of football left. I don't "think" it could get much worse than today, and I sure as hell hope it gets better!

i do agree with just about everything you stated mastershake. however, while i agree that the fumble in the end zone hurt, i think it was the retarded on side kick, that we failed to recover that broke the camel's back. we were only down 10 at that point and we just gifted sd the ball on our 40yrd line. i hope mcd will check himself, and not follow in bellishits foot steps when it comes to calling arrogant, retarded plays like that in the future.

spikerman
11-22-2009, 07:54 PM
This is going to sound like a very "knee-jerk" post, but I've thought about it for a while. I wanted to post something similar last week, but I wanted to wait to see if things turned around. They didn't. So.......

After the Cutler trade I was thinking that I would be happy and surprised if the team won 5 games. After the draft, I changed it to 4 games. I was so happy to be wrong after the first 6 games. Unfortunately, this has now become the team that I was afraid it might be. It is simply not very good (and actually atrocious) on both sides of the ball. Tonight even when the Broncos knew the Chargers were going to run the ball the defense was helpless to stop them. The offense is, well, offensive. Maybe the most disappointing thing was that tonight I could actually see the Broncos quit on both sides of the ball.

What's really sad is that I'm not sure how bright the immediate future is for this team. McDaniels mortgaged quite a few draft picks for players that can't get on the field and signed a bunch of older veterans. At least if the team was playing this poorly with young players they could make the argument that while it's rough now the players will be better for it. Unfortunately, these young players aren't getting a lot of playing time. WHY was Orton in there beginning in the 4th quarter? You might as well let Brandstater play and see some live bullets.

In the Broncos, I see a team who is trending downward. These last 4 losses have not been squeakers. This team is getting manhandled on both sides of the ball. It's going to be very tough for this team to win from here on out. McDaniels did a good job the first 6 weeks, but for Denver to salvage what's left of the season it's going to take a better coaching job out of McDaniels than he's done so far.

MasterShake
11-22-2009, 07:55 PM
i do agree with just about everything you stated mastershake. however, while i agree that the fumble in the end zone hurt, i think it was the retarded on side kick, that we failed to recover that broke the camel's back. we were only down 10 at that point and we just gifted sd the ball on our 40yrd line. i hope mcd will check himself, and not follow in bellishits foot steps when it comes to calling arrogant, retarded plays like that in the future.

Oh, I had blocked that from my memory. He was playing waaay too desperate too early. Then again if it would have worked...

Depth is also an issue. When we have to bring a hobbled QB in to sub after 1 QUARTER you know you are in for a long day. It was cool to see that Orton got the troops fired up for a bit at least, that shows good leadership. Nothing was going our way today, and that needs to change fast! Penalties killed us too.

Day1BroncoFan
11-22-2009, 07:56 PM
At this point I don't see us going any more than 8-8 which is what I said at the beginning of the season. I had hopes of something better when we went into the bye at 6-0 but those hopes have been dashed by the last 4 games. I see hope for the future just not this year. We need a QB, may be Brandstater is the guy.

Simms is worthless, we need to cut him. Our offense has been inept all year but now the ball is not bouncing the right direction so we're losing instead of winning. I can't expect the defense to overcome an offense that not only can't score but gives the ball back by some form of TO.

What was the onside kick call? that was like the dagger in the heart unless you count the entire time Simms was at QB. I don't even want to talk about the Moreno fumble, that looked like a TD to me but I'm not an official and that was an example of the ball bouncing the wrong way.

spikerman
11-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Nothing was going our way today
To be honest nothing has gone Denver's way the past 4 weeks.

dogfish
11-22-2009, 08:04 PM

yea, i though that was a terrible call. . . not just in hindsight-- as soon as the ball went up i was screaming "WTF are you DOING?!" at my TV. . . of course everyone calls it a genius move if it works, but to me it looked more like desperation. . . your D stopped them to open the half, you just drove it down and put up some points to cut it to a manageable lead-- you've generated some momentum. . . just feels like exactly the wrong time to take such a low-percentage gamble. . . and, predictably, when we couldn't convert it the game was close to over. . .

i know the D hadn't been playing very well, but IMO under those circumstances you have to give them another fair shot to go out and handle their business. . . if you want to be aggressive, pin them back at their own 20 or 30 and start dialing up blitzes-- at least that way you leave yourself some margin for error by making them go the length of the field. . .

Dzone
11-22-2009, 08:10 PM
they need to put in brandstater and concede that the playoffs are not possible. Time to start looking to the 2011 season.

Simms and Orton are both very below average qbs. Neither has a future in this league. Simms looks like todd marinovich. Orton looks like Steve Tensi

Timmy!
11-22-2009, 08:12 PM
they need to put in brandstater and concede that the playoffs are not possible. Time to start looking to the 2011 season.

Simms and Orton are both very below average qbs. Neither has a future in this league. Simms looks like todd marinovich. Orton looks like Steve Tensi

:tsk:

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 08:14 PM

lol...

honz
11-22-2009, 08:19 PM

What do you think about Cleo Lemon?

Dreadnought
11-22-2009, 08:20 PM
What do you think about Cleo Lemon?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

BroncoBJ
11-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Before the season started I had us going 10-6.

I had us going 5-1 vs the AFC West.
2-2 vs the AFC South.
2-2 vs the NFC East
1-1 vs Colts/Pats.

Then we got off to 6-0 and I was thinking 12-4 or 13-3.

Now I'm just hoping that my 10-6 prediction holds up. Gotta beat the Giants and get back on track. :salute: