PDA

View Full Version : Would San Fran trade w/ us?

SmilinAssasSin27
01-19-2008, 10:56 PM
San Fransisco has a very late round 1 pick (likely #30) via a trade w/ Indy and a pretty early second rounder (I believe #38 overall). Those 2 spots are valued at 1140 per the draft chart and our #12 overall is worth 1200. Sounds pretty close to me. I'm thinking that pending on who is gone, it'd be interesting to see if Shanny has trade discussions w/ San Fran. It would allow them to jump up for an impact player since the screwed the pooch on the NE trade last year and would allow us to take advantage of this draft's depth.

Now I am intrigued by Antwan Balmer, DT, of North Carolina, but not at 12. I dunno where he'll end up going, but I would have no issues w/ taking him at #30 if he'd be there. Reggie Smith, S, of Oklahoma could also be an intriguing option here as he can project to a Safety in the NFL. Heck, some sites even have Dan Connor going late in the first. I am biased, but if a Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee was there at #30, I'd love to plug him in the middle and put DJ back in his rightful position outside. If we did either of these, we'd still have 2 of the next 15 picks to fill other holes. Names likely to be avialable here include: Marcus Harrison, DT, Arkansas; Philip Wheeler, OLB, Georgia Tech; Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College; Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson; DaJuan Morgan, S, NC State; and Tavares Gooden, OLB, Miami (FL).

For those who like the idea of us taking a RB early, this would allow us to do so as we'd gain a pick and still have tradable commodities like Foxxy and Ian. Mendenhall, Felix Jones and/or Jon Stewart could be avialable at #30 given the number of juniors who have declared.

I know San Fran has more than 1 hole to fill, but they also need impact players and did spend a lot in Free Agency heading into last season. They had some injury problems in key spots and with health and a legit difference maker at #12, the playoff push they were hoping for this year may just be possible. Who know...they may want to climb up for a crack at one of the 3 top QBs.

Requiem / The Dagda
01-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Denver traded with San Francisco in 2006, where we got #37 and #68 for one of our two first round selections. So, why not? If they wanted to do something as such, it could happen. It doesn't seem like we're shy about making deals with them. Deals can be made, it's just a matter of what the Broncos want to do.

Simple Jaded
01-20-2008, 12:42 AM
I still have a hard time understanding why Broncos fans, with Shanahan's draft record, have any interest in trading quality for quantity.

You want to add a 2nd round pick?

Here is Shanahan's 2nd round picks for his time in Denver:

Tory James 1996......
I think the second round pick in 97 went for Tony Jones......
Eric Brown 1998......
Montae Reagor and Lennie Freakin Friedman in 1999......
Ian Gold and Kenoy Kennedy in 2000......
Paul Toviessi in 2001 (Sweet!)......
Clinton Poorti$ in 2002......
Terry "4.9 40yard dash" Pierce in 2003......
Tatum Bell and Darius Watts in 2004......
Darrent Williams in 2005......
Tony Scheffler (And Javon Walker) in 2006......
Tim Crowder in 2007......

Most of these guy's should be the core of this team, yet Scheffler, Crowder, Bailey and Bly are the all that's left to prove that Denver has even had a No2 pick the last 12 years.

I'd take my chances with the 12th pick......

broncogirl7
01-20-2008, 01:37 AM
I definately don't want to see us take a running back earlier. We need people for the linebacker, defensive tackles, and an offensive lineman positions. We can always pick up a running back later.

Skinny
01-20-2008, 02:18 PM
The more and more and more and more i think about it, i'ma just hope for Philips at #12 ...

But yeah, if San Fran has'nt found a trade partner by the time #12 comes up, i could see Nolan wanting to make a deal ...

SoCoPoCo
01-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Amazing, SA - I was looking at the draft board and was just wondering the same thing. SF does have a lot of needs and I think they would love to move Alex Smith if they had a taker.

Problem with moving that far down is that we pass on 18 selections of potential impact players coming in. The only way I can see Denver going to #30 is if MS is intent on picking up the best available RB - JMO.

What I would really like to see is for us to move down and pick up someone's #1 next year that will hopefully be pretty high - get Daniel Snyder on the phone.

claymore
01-22-2008, 06:53 AM
If this year has taught me one thing, It is to not count on well ateam will or will not do the next season. Especially when we dont know what we can, and will do.

If we trade picks, it needs to be for this years picks so we dont lose value. #12 spot could be a money maker for us depending on suprise picks on 1-11, and team needs for the remainder of the teams picking after us.

MOtorboat
01-22-2008, 08:32 AM
If this year has taught me one thing, It is to not count on well ateam will or will not do the next season. Especially when we dont know what we can, and will do.

If we trade picks, it needs to be for this years picks so we dont lose value. #12 spot could be a money maker for us depending on suprise picks on 1-11, and team needs for the remainder of the teams picking after us.

I'm not sure there are a lot of impact guys in this draft that people will want to move up to get...

cpr940
01-22-2008, 09:36 AM
San Fransisco has a very late round 1 pick (likely #30) via a trade w/ Indy and a pretty early second rounder (I believe #38 overall). Those 2 spots are valued at 1140 per the draft chart and our #12 overall is worth 1200. Sounds pretty close to me. I'm thinking that pending on who is gone, it'd be interesting to see if Shanny has trade discussions w/ San Fran. It would allow them to jump up for an impact player since the screwed the pooch on the NE trade last year and would allow us to take advantage of this draft's depth.

Now I am intrigued by Antwan Balmer, DT, of North Carolina, but not at 12. I dunno where he'll end up going, but I would have no issues w/ taking him at #30 if he'd be there. Reggie Smith, S, of Oklahoma could also be an intriguing option here as he can project to a Safety in the NFL. Heck, some sites even have Dan Connor going late in the first. I am biased, but if a Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee was there at #30, I'd love to plug him in the middle and put DJ back in his rightful position outside. If we did either of these, we'd still have 2 of the next 15 picks to fill other holes. Names likely to be avialable here include: Marcus Harrison, DT, Arkansas; Philip Wheeler, OLB, Georgia Tech; Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College; Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson; DaJuan Morgan, S, NC State; and Tavares Gooden, OLB, Miami (FL).

For those who like the idea of us taking a RB early, this would allow us to do so as we'd gain a pick and still have tradable commodities like Foxxy and Ian. Mendenhall, Felix Jones and/or Jon Stewart could be avialable at #30 given the number of juniors who have declared.

I know San Fran has more than 1 hole to fill, but they also need impact players and did spend a lot in Free Agency heading into last season. They had some injury problems in key spots and with health and a legit difference maker at #12, the playoff push they were hoping for this year may just be possible. Who know...they may want to climb up for a crack at one of the 3 top QBs.

Anything is possible. But last year the 49ers has 8 picks in the first 4 rounds and used them all. It seems that they believe in building through the draft. So, while it certainly looks feasible, it may not necessarily fall in line with their philosophy...which appears to be to get the maximum # of draft picks possible when trading players. Giving them up would seem to need a no-brainer type of trade.

mclark
01-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Now I am intrigued by Antwan Balmer, DT, of North Carolina, but not at 12. I dunno where he'll end up going, but I would have no issues w/ taking him at #30 if he'd be there. Reggie Smith, S, of Oklahoma could also be an intriguing option here as he can project to a Safety in the NFL. Heck, some sites even have Dan Connor going late in the first. .

If we could get Balmer and Connor in the first -- if Phillips is gone -- I'd be smiling. Or Balmer and Reggie Smith; and then maybe Philip Wheeler in the second.

WARHORSE
01-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Or Clady and Bahlmer.
Or one of those two and a top RB..............:coffee: