PDA

View Full Version : Broncos admit to overconfidence

broncofaninfla
11-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Broncos admit to overconfidence

Posted by Mike Florio on November 22, 2009 8:50 AM ET
When the Denver Broncos won their sixth straight game to open the season, at San Diego on October 19, the football-watching world became convinced that they were a great team.

Unfortunately, the Denver Broncos became convinced of it, too.

Three losses later, they're scrambling to get things back on track.

"We got away from what we were doing, which was fundamental, complementary, team football," Broncos cornerback Andre' Goodman tells Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com. "We got off to this great start and started feeling that we were this great team all of a sudden. That wasn't how we got to 6-0. We were feeling ourselves too much. [Editor's note: Not that there's anything wrong with that.] We've got to get back to basics."

Without naming names, center Casey Wiegmann said that one or more of his teammates decided to abandon the concept of team. "We're not playing as a team more than anything," Wiegmann told Marvez. "Guys started doing individual-type stuff. We're trying to get that broken up and get back into the team philosophy."

Contributing to the problem was a bye week after the San Diego game, which gave the Broncos a chance to reflect on their accomplishments.

"We didn't come back with that same fire and attention to detail," Holliday said. "You hate to say it, but you know the old saying, 'You drink the Kool-Aid?' We got full of it."

As of October 19, the Broncos' only real accomplishment was to guarantee that their record for 2009 would be no worse than 6-10. The way they've been playing, that's exactly what it might be.

And that still will be better than what many expected from this team.

Northman
11-22-2009, 10:33 AM
No shit.

LRtagger
11-22-2009, 10:38 AM
No shit.

The worst part is it took 3 embarrassing losses before anyone said anything.

Poet
11-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Egos are always a great way to hurt or help a team. Today is the measuring stick, I guess.

gobroncsnv
11-22-2009, 10:45 AM
I can't picture a season by any team that has had so many measuring sticks in one season. Still fairly amazed at how well we're sitting in spite of the last 3 weeks. And still absolutely HATING last week.

claymore
11-22-2009, 10:47 AM
I can't picture a season by any team that has had so many measuring sticks in one season. Still fairly amazed at how well we're sitting in spite of the last 3 weeks. And still absolutely HATING last week.

I thought the first SD game was huge, but its nothing in comparison to this. We need tough wins at home to bring the magic back.

Northman
11-22-2009, 11:37 AM
I thought the first SD game was huge, but its nothing in comparison to this. We need tough wins at home to bring the magic back.

Yea, ive always been big on keeping home field advantage a must for any team. If you win your 8 games at home and win at least 2 on the road that puts you at 10-6 every year with a chance at the playoffs. Anything above that is bonus but winning at home is the most important part. So far we are doing well at home but the last outing vs Pitt was a disaster. I agree with you today is very important if Denver wants to regain any confidence this year with any plans at a postseason.

pnbronco
11-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Thank you so much for posting this BF. I say Good!!! I'm glad to hear this our of the guys mouths. Nothing can be fixed if they don't acknowledge it.

It's team work that got them the first 6 wins and team work that will get them back on track. I look forward to see them functioning as a team again.

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Well, and who's to say that SD isn't 'drinking a little kool-aid'? They saw this same movie unravel last year, right?

They're riding a 4game winning streak...

...BARELY squeaked by the faiduhs both times...

Honestly...I'm not gonna take the gloom side of this. I'm calling for a denver win. Which will generate some new blood into the players, and they'll continue on into a Thanksgiving win.

Damn....I DO love me this Hydrocodone........:elefant:

pnbronco
11-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Yea, ive always been big on keeping home field advantage a must for any team. If you win your 8 games at home and win at least 2 on the road that puts you at 10-6 every year with a chance at the playoffs. Anything above that is bonus but winning at home is the most important part. So far we are doing well at home but the last outing vs Pitt was a disaster. I agree with you today is very important if Denver wants to regain any confidence this year with any plans at a postseason.

North I do want home field advantage, but Pitts was a just strange. Before the game some there are fans on the field. It's usually family, people that know people ect... I have never been to a game where there are the other teams fans on their side. The whole east side of the field had Pitts fans. There were Bronco fans on the right side of the field and a few on the North end.

I always go early and walk down to the wall and high five guys, wish them good luck ect. Couldn't do that with Pitts game. I'm not kidding, I should of taken a picture but they were more Pitts fans waiting in line when we walked in than Bronco fans, like 2/3 Pitts.

It just didn't feel like our home field from the beginning of that game.

So I hope today it's back to Bronco Fans being front and center. Yelling their heads off and making Rivers life miserable.

honz
11-22-2009, 11:56 AM
I blame Marshall's fat head!

Superchop 7
11-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Ummm, not winning today.

QB problems.

Nomad
11-22-2009, 12:43 PM
North I do want home field advantage, but Pitts was a just strange. Before the game some there are fans on the field. It's usually family, people that know people ect... I have never been to a game where there are the other teams fans on their side. The whole east side of the field had Pitts fans. There were Bronco fans on the right side of the field and a few on the North end.

I always go early and walk down to the wall and high five guys, wish them good luck ect. Couldn't do that with Pitts game. I'm not kidding, I should of taken a picture but they were more Pitts fans waiting in line when we walked in than Bronco fans, like 2/3 Pitts.

So I hope today it's back to Bronco Fans being front and center. Yelling their heads off and making Rivers life miserable.

pn, wasn't there a Steelers convention in Denver that weekend?? There's no excuse for BRONCO fans not grabbing those seats or selling off their tickets but maybe that's why so many Steeler fans were there.

SD doesn't travel that well and they're having a hard time selling their own tickets:lol:

Northman
11-22-2009, 12:53 PM

Yea, i cant really explain why so many opponent fans can get tickets to opposing teams games but i do know that fans of Pitt, Oakland, and Dallas travel well. When i went to the Ravens/Oak game i couldnt believe how many Faid fans i saw in the stadium. To be honest, at the Denver game i saw quite a few Bronco fans as well so that really surprised me but also made me somewhat happy to know that we travel well as fans. But Bmore gets just as upset when they see half their stadium in Black and Gold for Steeler games so i know what your saying. Overall though, i think its very important for Denver to regain that home field advantage to where teams are scared to play here. I think overall home field has become somewhat a forgotten thing and maybe because of the fanbases being able to get into opposing stadiums so easy now its made it almost impossible to have a true home field advantage. But, at the end of the day its the teams that have to take the responsibility and pride to make sure that no opposing team comes in and wins on their field. I think back to that clip in "Rudy" where the coach says "Gentlemen, no one and i mean NO ONE comes into our house and pushes us around". If you can get a ballclub who thinks like that than you are in good shape. Maybe with free agency the whole loyal to one team thing just doesnt apply so who knows how a players thinking is when it comes to not allowing a opposing team to come in and win.

claymore
11-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Hell yeah. We It goes both ways. As fans we deserved to lose the Pit MNF game. I threw up in my because I couldnt believe how many Pit fans there were.