PDA

View Full Version : Passes of San Diego's Rivers flow freely against Denver Broncos

Lonestar
11-21-2009, 06:07 PM
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/21/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has tormented the Broncos, posting a 5-2 record against them that should be even better. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )There are few things that boil the blood of the Broncos' faithful as much as hearing "ticket price increase" or "Raiders win."

And then there is "Philip Rivers." In just a few short seasons, the Chargers quarterback may have become Mr. 212 degrees.

Perhaps it's that youthful face, or that hint of a smirk, or perhaps it's just all those touchdowns and victories Rivers has put on his side of the ledger as he goes about the business of making himself at home at Invesco Field at Mile High.

"I do enjoy going there," Rivers said this week. "It's a great atmosphere, a great place to play."

Rivers is 2-1 in starts at 5,280 feet above sea level, and he would be 3-0 if not for referee Ed Hochuli's missed call on a jay Cutler fumble last season. He's thrown for 289 yards per game here, to go with seven touchdowns and three interceptions overall. The Broncos have never sacked him more than once at Invesco.

"He's a big guy, and he gets rid of it," Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. "Unless we put a barricade around him, he's not going to take those sacks. That's what makes him good; he knows how to get rid of that ball, he knows when pressure's coming."

Last month in San Diego, it looked like more of the same as Rivers was 11-of-16 passing for 172 yards as the Chargers built a 20-17 lead by halftime. The Broncos sacked Rivers just once in that first half.

But at halftime, Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels said he decided it was time to "stir the pot," and the Broncos turned up the heat, sacking Rivers four times in the second half to go with a forced fumble by Elvis Dumervil in the third quarter of Denver's win.

The Broncos harassed Rivers by mixing things up. Though they still rushed four players the majority of the second half, they varied where those rushers were coming from in the formation.

Dumervil got two sacks from his usual spot at the rush end, but the Broncos also got one from cornerback Andre Goodman, one from inside linebacker D.J. Williams and one from defensive lineman/linebacker Darrell Reid.

"He's got that pocket presence — he knows when to get rid of the ball," Dumervil said. "He's not a big scrambler, but he knows where everybody is, he knows where you're coming from a lot of the time.

"Pocket guys, they don't try to do much, they just make the play."

Compounding the difficulty in getting to Rivers is his wide array of targets. He's content to dump the ball off to a back if need be. Even the Chargers' fullback — Mike Tolbert — has two receptions of at least 20 yards this season.

"So when he gets pressure, the back slips out and you've got everybody a little deeper because it's later in the play and the back has some space to work with," Bailey said. "That's kind of what they did to us the last time. And their backs catch well and know what to do once they have it. But we know we have to get to him. You can't let him just stand back there and look at what you're doing."

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13836859

Ziggy
11-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Personally, I hate playing against Rivers, but I'd take him as our QB in a heartbeat. Reminds me of Howie Long in the old days. The guy used to torture the Broncos and make big plays when he needed to. I hated playing against him, but would have loved him if he were a Bronco.

Superchop 7
11-22-2009, 12:19 AM
The number 1 priority is to rattle him, we did it last game and he looked human.

UnderArmour
11-22-2009, 12:50 AM
The number 1 priority is to rattle him, we did it last game and he looked human.

Wrong. The number 1 priority is to outscore the Chargers. Fun fact: The Broncos have won every single game in franchise history where they have outscored the opponent.

Iron Horse72
11-22-2009, 02:53 AM
I have grown to hate him but would take as our QB anytime.

I hope he gets hit a lot on Sunday.