PDA

View Full Version : Have our linebackers played well?

Requiem / The Dagda
11-20-2009, 09:23 PM
It seems that the Denver Broncos linebacking corps have been making some big plays this year. Elvis Dumervil is leading the NFL in sacks, savvy veteran Andra Davis is having a banner year, perhaps the best since his sophomore effort all those years ago. DJ Williams is amongst the league leaders in tackles, and has some sacks and forced fumbles to go along with.

Additionally, Robert Ayers and Marrio Haggan each have seemed to contribute on occasion, with the biggest play being Ayers return for a touchdown several weeks ago. These are the big plays our linebacking corps have been lacking for quite some time.

Overall, how do you think our linebackers have played? Has their play decreased over the past few weeks? How are they doing in pass coverage?

I know that a lot of people were calling on the drafting of another ILB or LB next year pending the successes of Dumervil, Ayers and Davis -- but it seems like we have some quality, perhaps a little depth at the position. I think it is interesting to consider that we have some legitimate options. Then again, the statistics may not tell the whole story.

Keep in mind, they seem to be doing a decent job with a marginal defensive line filled with overachievers.

THOUGHTS!?

claymore
11-20-2009, 09:28 PM
It seems that the Denver Broncos linebacking corps have been making some big plays this year. Elvis Dumervil is leading the NFL in sacks, savvy veteran Andra Davis is having a banner year, perhaps the best since his sophomore effort all those years ago. DJ Williams is amongst the league leaders in tackles, and has some sacks and forced fumbles to go along with.

Additionally, Robert Ayers and Marrio Haggan each have seemed to contribute on occasion, with the biggest play being Ayers return for a touchdown several weeks ago. These are the big plays our linebacking corps have been lacking for quite some time.

Overall, how do you think our linebackers have played? Has their play decreased over the past few weeks? How are they doing in pass coverage?

I know that a lot of people were calling on the drafting of another ILB or LB next year pending the successes of Dumervil, Ayers and Davis -- but it seems like we have some quality, perhaps a little depth at the position. I think it is interesting to consider that we have some legitimate options. Then again, the statistics may not tell the whole story.

Keep in mind, they seem to be doing a decent job with a marginal defensive line filled with overachievers.

THOUGHTS!?
I think they are doing well. I would like more aggressiveness and more of a leader at LB from any spot.

I know Dawkins is the leader, and I like him, but he is old and we need drafted long term continuity.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Dawkins plays safety though, and we drafted Darcel McBath in the second round and David Bruton in the fourth.

oubronco
11-20-2009, 09:36 PM
I think they are playing well except for when the scheme leaves the middle of the field open I just don't get it why not leave a backer in there at all times

claymore
11-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Dawkins plays safety though, and we drafted Darcel McBath in the second round and David Bruton in the fourth.

I understand that. But I like my leadership roles to come from a LB'er spot. We ned a leader at LB'er not DB.

We have relied on DB leadership the past few years (Lynch, Dawkins) and it always breaks down.

We need a bad, young SOB in there Leading.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Do you think we should go after Spikes in the draft, Claymore? Who are some young linebacvkers you like?

claymore
11-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Do you think we should go after Spikes in the draft, Claymore? Who are some young linebacvkers you like?

To be honest I have no idea. I rely on you guys for that. I dont even know the #1 prospects until Jan feb time. No time for College football with kids Bro.

Peerless
11-20-2009, 09:50 PM
They've been playing great. They are putting pressure on the QB, and have also tackled well.

I just wish we could get some linebackers that could cause a few more turnovers. Forced fumbles are nice, but it is RARE to see a Broncos linebacker with a pick in the stat column.

claymore
11-20-2009, 09:52 PM
They've been playing great. They are putting pressure on the QB, and have also tackled well.

I just wish we could get some linebackers that could cause a few more turnovers. Forced fumbles are nice, but it is RARE to see a Broncos linebacker with a pick in the stat column.

There isnt a guy on our Defense I wouldnt replace.

gobroncsnv
11-20-2009, 10:39 PM
In addition to all of the guys mentioned by OP, I also still like Woodyard's game. He's had to step back a bit because of the #1's, but for a second teamer, he's not too bad.

rcsodak
11-20-2009, 11:05 PM

:tsk:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-20-2009, 11:18 PM

I am SO glad you'll never have a job in the Broncos' organization!

honz
11-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Except for Champ. :troll:

MOtorboat
11-21-2009, 12:43 AM

I blame Orton, personally.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Seriously, MO. I wanna hear what you think. You, JRWIZ and Topscribe, because I know JR was critical of Elvis for a long time and they both supported DJ for long time.

topscribe
11-21-2009, 12:53 AM
I think they are doing well. I would like more aggressiveness and more of a leader at LB from any spot.

I know Dawkins is the leader, and I like him, but he is old and we need drafted long term continuity.

That's what McBath and Bruton are for, and, from what I have heard and read,
they are doing well for rookies. And, after a relatively rough rookie season,
Barrett seems to be coming on as a good cover safety and special teams ace.
It would seem to me the Broncos are in pretty good shape at safety.

-----

dogfish
11-21-2009, 02:00 AM
sure they've played well. . . they've been flying to the ball, and putting pressure on the quarterback. . . unfortunately, their play seems to have tapered off the past few weeks-- i put part of the blame on decreased effectiveness from the D-line, but we've also seen some breakdowns in gap discipline and poor tackling. . . they need to tighten that shit up, pronto!

long term, i think we're in solid shape IF we can retain dumervil-- and obviously, ayers' development will be a major factor. . . andre davis is pretty much a short-term rental, but we do have some depth there-- woodyard is a strong nickel 'backer and rotational ILB, and i still think larsen can contribute on that side of the ball (let hillis handle fullback). . . also, haggan is capable of playing inside if ayers takes a starting spot at some point, and reid has been a pleasant surprise. . . overall we have a solid corps. . .

that doesn't mean i wouldn't happily add a stud 'backer in the draft though, if that's how the board plays out. . . we're in a nice position of not having to reach there to fill a gaping hole, but you can always upgrade. . . spikes is way high on my wish list for next year-- dude is a ****ing werewolf. . . always room for that type of guy on the :defense:. . .

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-21-2009, 03:21 AM
My favorite thing Nolan taught our guys this year is to all swarm even after the tackle. Playing as one.

Ziggy
11-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Brandon Spikes is a young Al Wilson clone. He's a leader, a beast, and he's all over the field making plays. If he's there in the first, and Cody is gone, he's a definite possibilty in the first round of the draft. That is, if the Broncos don't go after a QB.

elsid13
11-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Overall, I think they have played well. I would like Larson to get a shot in playing ILB for Davis, because I think he could bigger factor in stopping the running game, but that it. Hagan has been solid but hasn't stood out. I don't see them drafting OLB early with Ayers and Doom potential manning those slots full time next year but they do need to add a little more depth.

It far more important to find a play maker at the DE position to help then getting a 1st round backer.

Nomad
11-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Brandon Spikes is a young Al Wilson clone. He's a leader, a beast, and he's all over the field making plays. If he's there in the first, and Cody is gone, he's a definite possibilty in the first round of the draft. That is, if the Broncos don't go after a QB.

I agree! That's why the Bears need to do us a favor and keep LOSING!!:D

topscribe
11-21-2009, 09:36 AM

I just don't see the Broncos gambling on a QB in the high rounds, especially
with Orton playing so well when healthy and the line is producing for him. Which
brings up the line: In my opinion, the most urgent need on the team is at
offensive LG. There, I really like that kid from Iowa (name slips my feeble mind
at the moment). I understand, at about 330 lbs., he's quick and mobile for his
size. Imagine him beside the 325 lb. Clady . . .

-----

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-21-2009, 09:48 AM
with Orton playing so well when healthy and the line is producing for him. Which
offensive LG. There, I really like that kid from Iowa (name slips my feeble mind

-----

I think alot of guards will be available in FA in 2010. I want brandon spikes on our team.

topscribe
11-21-2009, 09:52 AM
I think alot of guards will be available in FA in 2010. I want brandon spikes on our team.

Fine. You can be the first to tell Xanders and McDaniels.

-----

Nomad
11-21-2009, 10:01 AM

-----

MUG has some good input about the oline prospects at BM!!

You're right though oline is a concern!

topscribe
11-21-2009, 10:03 AM
MUG has some good input about the oline prospects at BM!!

You're right though oline is a concern!

I just don't go over there very often anymore. Maybe Dream and Coach can
come up with something about them over here . . .

-----

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Fine. You can be the first to tell Xanders and McDaniels.

-----

I'm not denying the fact that Ben Hamilton and Casey Wiegman need to be replaced, but i think Mcd prefers his starters to be experienced.

Ravage!!!
11-21-2009, 10:40 AM
OL is a need, but you don't spend a first round pick on a guard. So that can be addressed later on.

MOtorboat
11-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Seriously, MO. I wanna hear what you think. You, JRWIZ and Topscribe, because I know JR was critical of Elvis for a long time and they both supported DJ for long time.

I think our linebacking corp has been the best unit defensively. So, we can start there. I think Elvis has really taken to the 3-4 OLB position, but we need some pressure from the other side now, because teams are starting to lock him down on the left side of the line. Hopefully Ayers can step up on the other side and take that starting spot from Haggan. I commended him for the fumble return for a touchdown, but that was a right place, right time play. I'd like to see him get some pressure over the right side of the line (McBean). Haggan is a stop-gap. A solid veteran backup who is holding a place for Ayers. So, neither of them have stepped up, and they really need to.

D.J. is a solid linebacker. We knew that going in. He's taken to the role of being able to just go make plays. His problem has always been vocal leadership, so he will always need a Brian Dawkins and/or Andra Davis back there to do that, so he can just focus on playing (We knew that when Wilson left).

I think they've been exposed a bit in coverage, and I think that the lack of front-line talent has hurt them against physical teams in the last three weeks. San Diego isn't as physical, so I would expect this unit to be able to get to the ball and make plays on Sunday. Our defensive line has played well at times this season, but seemed a little overwhelmed the last few weeks.

We've talked a lot about scheme and when talent takes over in a season for scheme, because teams have seen on film everything you can do. It's time that Denver has to step up and punch someone in the mouth, and they haven't done that yet. The scheming is what it is at this point and the players need to play better against San Diego.

Haggan/Ayers, McBean, Fields, Peterson and Dumvervil must play better from here on out, and I'm just not sure the front three are good enough to free up the linebackers to make plays.

Against San Diego look early to see if guards are getting to D.J. and Andra on running plays. If that's the case, then we aren't getting enough pressure at the snap of the ball and San Diego could have a field day on the ground, which then, of course, opens up the play action pass and could easily free up Antonio Gates.

All in all, it's still Orton's fault.

Superchop 7
11-21-2009, 12:18 PM
It's been night and day from last year to this year.

Lately, they are trying to hit the home run ball instead of filling their gaps.

I'm sure thats getting fixed.

As for the d-line ?

NE put 5 receivers in the game and the d-line couldn't do anything.

What we need is.

A guy like Spikes (serious leader)

Stud Nose tackle.

Left Guard

Our o-line will look "alot" better with an elite QB. (Can't be as aggressive on d)

Lonestar
11-21-2009, 04:12 PM
have not read the entire thread only a couple of the posts.. so I f I repeat someone ideas it is because they are RIGHT..

we have a shit pot full of LB's and I see NO reason to draft any..

I was/am surprised the Doom has done so well this year.. and think he has made one hell of a transition.. something I did not think he could do..

that said he was never really a DE in the NFL and regardless of the sacks he got he was really one dimensional..

Looks like he has found a home at OLB..

as for the other LBs' I think we have what we need and lots of backups in Woodyard and larsen I think they will be the long term players in the middle down the road.. both have a mean streak and while I like DJ I still do not see him as and MLB.. he may be getting tackles but again from what I have seen they are positive yard types and he is tackling from behind them.. I think Larsen is more of a true MLB mean SOB that takes no hostages..

Hagen really does nothing for me and I suspect that Ayers will be the man there when he finally "gets it"..

Linebackers are not the issue with this team.. it is still and foremost DL and more so NT

Poet
11-21-2009, 05:27 PM

Dumervil is one of the best defensive players in the NFL. The only players at LB that I would almost automatically replace anyone with are James Harrision and DeMarcus Ware.

Your LBs have played at a very high level this year, IMO. The only thing that I could knock them for is inconsistency in coverage. That's about it.

MOtorboat
11-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Dumervil is one of the best defensive players in the NFL. The only players at LB that I would almost automatically replace anyone with are James Harrision and DeMarcus Ware.

Your LBs have played at a very high level this year, IMO. The only thing that I could knock them for is inconsistency in coverage. That's about it.

I wouldn't replace Dumervil, Williams, Bailey and Dawkins.

Elevation inc
11-22-2009, 03:07 AM
LB corps-

Starters-

DJ- playing great and making plays, happy with his play this year. glad we have him for 5more...

Davis- resurrected since coming to denver, however has slowed down these past few games. perhaps age and teh 16 game grind is wearing....bring him back for 1 more year

Elvis- please give him the money ASAP, not only is his pass rushing elite he is doing better agaisnt the run this year

Haggan- solid depth player for inside/Outside

Back-ups-

Reid- Solid nickel player...not muc more

Woodyard- good player but will never hack a 16 game starting role at ILB, he just gets washed up to much because of his size. Should be a nickel LB from here on out

Larsen- verstaile, would like to see him get a shot a LB, but who knows...

Moss- great scout team practice player, but not much else

our best bet is to draft a stud in rds 1-3 to groom for replacing davis, woodyard and larsen dont seem to me to be the type of players we need next to DJ....i think rolando Mcclain, spikes, pawlek from baylor, or micah jonson from kentucky would be great here.
we cant just sit back and not draft a young guy here...woodyard cant hack a full time role, and larsen doesnt have the speed 2 be more than a 2 down thumper like davis...1 of those 4 i mnetioned could be a 3 down player with DJ.....and that helps alot.....we also need a anotehr nickel rush LB...ayers is coming along but we have to replace moss becasue he sucks a 4th or 5th rd developmental guy would work.

off topic...but going of C/G guys MCD would look at i think are top 3 Guards would be

1. Mike Ipuati-rd 2
2. Mike johnson- rd 2
3. Thomas Austin- rd 3

Centers

1. JD walton- rd 3
2. Matt Tenant- rd 3

as for the draft trade our first rd pick for a extra second and third rd pick, doing so could net us a legit ILB/DE/G/C/CB and we would be sitting nicely.....

2. G/ILB/DE
2. G/ILB/DE
3. G/C/ILB
3. G/C
4. CB/returner/WR