PDA

View Full Version : Alphonso Smith who?

Requiem / The Dagda
11-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Maybe McDaniels should have considered Byrd (http://www.nfl.com/players/jairusbyrd/profile?id=BYR449897). He was a boss with the Ducks and is doing amazing things with the Bills. We gave up a lot for Smith and he's getting outplayed by this guy who was drafted a few picks later and had to switch positions. He is on fire!

So did we make a mistake? Can Smith be as good as Byrd? I just don't see how we could have missed on this dude!

claymore
11-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Maybe McDaniels should have considered Byrd (http://www.nfl.com/players/jairusbyrd/profile?id=BYR449897). He was a boss with the Ducks and is doing amazing things with the Bills. We gave up a lot for Smith and he's getting outplayed by this guy who was drafted a few picks later and had to switch positions. He is on fire!

So did we make a mistake? Can Smith be as good as Byrd? I just don't see how we could have missed on this dude!

Nice Clay's thoughts : It will take 3 years before we really know. I like that we got a "Good Guy".

Troll Clay: Bone head move. This is one of the dumbest draft day trades ive ever seen, and there were a few by JMCD that day.

Bottom line...... Only draft pick that is really contributing is Moreno. We had like 10-12 picks and I only remember the names of 4 of them.

honz
11-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Isn't Byrd playing safety? I thought Smith looked really good early on...I haven't paid enough attention to our nickel corners to say why Williams and him weren't cutting it and we had to sign Law. I still think Smith will be a baller in the future.

Northman
11-20-2009, 10:16 PM

I saw Smith make some plays early on but i have to admit i wasnt thrilled when we moved up to take him. Same with that TE that i dont see very much. And im almost wishing we would have taken Mauluga instead of Ayers at this point. He seems to be at least making a bigger impact for the Bengals than Ayers is for us. :tsk:

rcsodak
11-20-2009, 10:42 PM

Different defenses...different situation....different opponents....

rcsodak
11-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Bottom line...... Only draft pick that is really contributing is Moreno. We had like 10-12 picks and I only remember the names of 4 of them.

Let me help.....

Change The Franchise
Bryce Bedinger by
Written on April 27, 2009

From what I've read, most Denver fans were disappointed with the decisions the Broncos made in this years draft. And to those of you who feel this way, I say cheer up! I've recently done research on our new additions to the team. So all of of you people that can't seem to smile after the draft, I'll give you reason to.

Robert Ayers- DE (18th overall)

Ayers started all four years of his college career. In these four years, he had 112 tackles, and nine sacks. Ayers has even had an interception his senior year. I'm not sure about you, but I'm satisfied with those stats.

Alphonso Smith- CB (37th overall)

Alphonso Smith also started all four years in college. In his four years, Smith had 174 tackles, four forced fumbles, and 21 interceptions. he also had four touchdowns in his four years at Wake Forest. I'm almost surprised he didn't go in the first round.

Darcel McBath- CB/S (48th overall)

Darcel was another pick to start all four years, so he has the experience. In his career, he's had 214 tackles, 12 interceptions, and two interceptions. Also in the 2008 season, his college team won all but one game, where he had six interceptions, and a touchdown in one season alone.

So far all of these picks have been towards helping the defense, which people said our new head coach barely did in this years draft.

Richard Quinn- TE (64th overall)

You have to hear me out on this one, even though his stats don't make him look like should have even been drafted.

Like most Broncos fans, I was not satisfied with the stats that Quinn had to offer. I couldn't figure out why we even considered him, and I needed an answer.

So I looked him up on YouTube. His highlights weren't of him scoring or making amazing catches. What I saw was Richard Quinn laying out guys all over the field (In other words, he's an amazing blocker).

This addition could be key considering that we had drafted Knowshon Moreno. It's clear that what McDaniels was doing was helping our running backs (maybe to help prevent losing 7 running backs to injured reserve again or something).

This convinced me that McDaniels probably knew what he was doing.

David Bruton- FS (114th overall)

Again, McDaniels helps the defense with another great pick. Bruton has accomplished 210 tackles, two forced fumbles, and seven interceptions in all four seasons. David has even had a sack, which isn't saying much, but decent considering that he's a safety.

Since the Broncos acquired Brian Dawkins in the offseason, Bruton makes a great secondary for the Broncos.

Seth Olsen- OG (132nd overall)

Call me a homer, but I was excited when the Broncos drafted Seth, knowing that he was from Iowa.

Though Olsen was a Iowa Hawkeye, I was excited for more than just that reason that we took him. Seth Olsen allowed very little tackles, and was key to why the Hawkeyes won so many games. Olsen should be a good addition to the offense.

Kenny McKinley- WR (141st overall)

Granted, the Broncos already have amazing receivers (A- in most polls), It's not like Players don't get injured (or tired), and Kenny McKinley would be a reliable sub for when (if) this happens.

McKinley has had 207 receptions, 2,781 yards, and 19 touchdowns in his four years at South Carolina. His ability to make quick decisions, and tough catches makes him a good fit with the other Bronco Wide outs.

Tom Brandstater- QB (174th overall)

Tom Brandstater is a big, strong QB from Fresno state. A lot of people thought this was a dumb decision by McDaniels considering that we just got Kyle Orton and Chris Simms in the offseason. But after releasing Patrick Ramsey and Darrell Hackney, the Broncos were in need of a third QB.

Brandstater has thrown 6,857 yards, and 47 touchdowns. Pretty legit considering he only started three seasons.

Tom also rushed for four touchdowns last season alone. Pretty good pick for the sixth round (not to mention that he's a QB).

Blake Schlueter- C (225th overall)

After the retiring of Tom Nalen, the Broncos were in need of a center. Denver got just that in the seventh round of the Draft.

Blake Schlueter is very mature, and is crazy fast for an offensive linemen. His strength and agility make him a reliable center to help guard our new quarterback.

In addition to these draft picks, McDaniels picked up 12 extra players in free agency. So again, I say cheer up! McDaniels knows what he's doing.

rcsodak
11-20-2009, 10:53 PM
I saw Smith make some plays early on but i have to admit i wasnt thrilled when we moved up to take him. Same with that TE that i dont see very much. And im almost wishing we would have taken Mauluga instead of Ayers at this point. He seems to be at least making a bigger impact for the Bengals than Ayers is for us. :tsk:

Are you just looking for headlines? IF so, they Mualuga definitely has more, but Ayers is playing a completely different position, and making more playes each game.

Some might say with Mauluga, what you see is what you get...meaning he can't get any better. Where Ayers is more upside.

Guess you need to decide which is more important.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Different defenses...different situation....different opponents....

Injuries allowed him to start, but since then he has eight interceptions and tied the NFL record for most consecutive games with multiple interceptions. He is doing a fabulous job for the Bills, regardless of the defense he plays in or his opponents. He is awesome.

rcsodak
11-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Injuries allowed him to start, but since then he has eight interceptions and tied the NFL record for most consecutive games with multiple interceptions. He is doing a fabulous job for the Bills, regardless of the defense he plays in or his opponents. He is awesome.

I haven't spent time watching another team's cb, so answer me this, dream. Is he playing nickel/dime/#1/#2? Which position? What teams has he got his int's against?

Requiem / The Dagda
11-20-2009, 11:18 PM
I haven't spent time watching another team's cb, so answer me this, dream. Is he playing nickel/dime/#1/#2? Which position? What teams has he got his int's against?

He is playing safety, but was a corner in college. Ran slow at the combine, switched.

CLE, HOU, NYJ, CAR, TEN. He had two picks amongst the middle three teams. Not necessarily powerhouse opponents with good quarterbacks, but being able to pick off the ball eight times in the last five games is impressive.

Northman
11-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Are you just looking for headlines? IF so, they Mualuga definitely has more, but Ayers is playing a completely different position, and making more playes each game.

Some might say with Mauluga, what you see is what you get...meaning he can't get any better. Where Ayers is more upside.

Guess you need to decide which is more important.

Ive heard that arguement with Maualuga before but there's nothing really there to substantiate that claim. However, my stance hasnt really changed since before the draft regarding what i would like to see from our LB's in general. I want a LB who has some fire and tenacity to him. Now, Ayers may have some upside to him but he hasnt in my opinion performed at a 1st round level yet. Time will tell but i still want a LB who is going to be a difference maker with attitude ala Lewis, Urlacher, etc.

dogfish
11-21-2009, 01:47 AM
i was probably among the loudest bitching about what we gave up to get smith. . . i do think he has a lot of potential, and it's far too early to make any real judgements on a rook, but i have to admit that i'm a little disappointed that we had to go out and get old man river ty law because phonse couldn't take control of the nickel spot. . .

Requiem / The Dagda
11-21-2009, 01:54 AM
I still really like Smith and support him, but this Byrd kid is doing great. McBath has a pick, maybe we should play three safeties more, and maybe factor that Hill dude out sometimes. He sort of seems like a loser.

BroncoAV06
11-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I still really like Smith and support him, but this Byrd kid is doing great. McBath has a pick, maybe we should play three safeties more, and maybe factor that Hill dude out sometimes. He sort of seems like a loser.

Well the thing is would Bryd be playing saftie here with Hill and Dawkins? Oppotunities would of been different and to say he would have 8 INT's with us you just never know. But its way to easy to nit pick now, you could do that with every pick in every draft. I will give Smith a little more then 9 games into his rookie season to see what kind of player he will be.

Superchop 7
11-21-2009, 11:59 AM
My thoughts on first pick (Orakpo)
second pick (Moreno or Ayers)
Third pick where we got Smith (Maualuga)

How could they "not" take Orakpo and Maualuga at those spots ?

When I saw that the Broncos were on the board I "knew" it was going to be Maualuga.

Was I ever wrong.

Paying as much as we did for Quinn ?

Stupid.

But, I love the McKinnley choice, that one was sweet.

Ravage!!!
11-21-2009, 12:04 PM

What is the name of that blocking TE that we moved up to get? How's he helping our OL so far? :confused: Both the Smith and the TE pick had me screaming.

But Im' with you. I REALLY wanted Mauluga.. and was HOPING to have that Wilson type presence on defense again, and thought he would be that man.

Poet
11-21-2009, 12:37 PM
From what I've seen Smith has been good for you. I don't think it's really all that fair to compare Smith to Byrd; if Smith is playing well for you but someone else you could have taken it doesn't mean that Smith was a bad pick. It just means that you could have potentially had a better pick.

Now, as far as Maualuga over Ayers, Ayers is the better pass rusher. Last year I think you didn't have many adequate pass rushers and your scheme dictates that you need at least one LB who can blitz.

In Cincinnati's defense Maualuga is playing well. I don't get how you can go into the NFL as a rookie and never really get any better?

hamrob
11-21-2009, 12:56 PM
We could have had Orakapo, Ayers and Mualuga. Sure, we wouldn't have got Moreno...but I think we could have found another back to be just as productive...later in the draft. And, yes we could have gotten Mualuga when we traded up for Smith.

I think Ayers will turn out fine...but had we added those other two monsters to our defense...we would have been looking tough for years to come.

Smith will be a nickle back at best and Moreno will be a decent RB. Not exactly what we were hoping for out of that draft. I think we were all hoping to strengthen our front 7...not get cute...which is what we ended up with.

Lonestar
11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
damn folks give them a chance they have quality starters in front of them and they still are figuring out were the urinals are..

CB is one of the hardest positions to master and many do not do it for 3-4 years and that is if they have a good pass rush..

I think he will Be a quality starter down the road perhaps not a champ quality guy but when he gets the speed of the game he will be a good one and probably better when they get a consistent pass rush..

as for ayers he is learning a new scheme and position..

I just do not get why everyone thought we would be so great with all the changes if we just got one super player to plug in maybe but so much change takes time to run smooth..

rcsodak
11-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Ive heard that arguement with Maualuga before but there's nothing really there to substantiate that claim. However, my stance hasnt really changed since before the draft regarding what i would like to see from our LB's in general. I want a LB who has some fire and tenacity to him. Now, Ayers may have some upside to him but he hasnt in my opinion performed at a 1st round level yet. Time will tell but i still want a LB who is going to be a difference maker with attitude ala Lewis, Urlacher, etc.

You're talking MLB's. Ayers is a standup OLB/DE. The MLB is normally the rebel rouser. ie Al Wilson

Davis is doing a fine enough job. But I'd agree they need to get younger in the middle. I wouldn't mind seeing a big-hitting MLB on the D.

rcsodak
11-21-2009, 04:15 PM
damn folks give them a chance they have quality starters in front of them and they still are figuring out were the urinals are..

CB is one of the hardest positions to master and many do not do it for 3-4 years and that is if they have a good pass rush..

I think he will Be a quality starter down the road perhaps not a champ quality guy but when he gets the speed of the game he will be a good one and probably better when they get a consistent pass rush..

I just do not get why everyone thought we would be so great with all the changes if we just got one super player to plug in maybe but so much change takes time to run smooth..

Jr, go back to the beginning of the season...or hell, back to training camp. You won't find too many that wre saying ANYTHING good about the franchise. Remember, they were saying McD would be gone at the end of the year? That he couldn't draft? That he was in way over his head?

Moreno is leading all rookie rb's.
Orton, before he was hurt, was in the top half of qb's.
Doom is leading the league in sacks from his new position.
Over 30 new players make up the team.

Most of these 'haters' right now started out negative, then were quiet until the losses started piling up, and they came back out.

Nothing new, really. They are who they are. :coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
11-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Well, RC -- I made this thread in jest. I supported the Smith pick from the get go and still do. This was on par with Honz thread earlier. He was my favorite corner in the draft and we got him. Of course I'm stoked.

Lonestar
11-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Jr, go back to the beginning of the season...or hell, back to training camp. You won't find too many that wre saying ANYTHING good about the franchise. Remember, they were saying McD would be gone at the end of the year? That he couldn't draft? That he was in way over his head?

Moreno is leading all rookie rb's.
Orton, before he was hurt, was in the top half of qb's.
Doom is leading the league in sacks from his new position.
Over 30 new players make up the team.

Most of these 'haters' right now started out negative, then were quiet until the losses started piling up, and they came back out.

Nothing new, really. They are who they are. :coffee:

I know the folks that could not get past mike or jay were loaded for bear in the off season and they (some) were coming around till we lost to two outstanding teams.. not sure why they thought we could beat either of them as they have more talent that we and have really good coaches..

IMHO we have been sucking hind teat for almost a decade in getting quality players via the draft and that is coming back to haunt us the past few years.. one or two good drafts do not make up for the abysmal lack of talent on the team..

where SAN has a lot of talent there coaching has sucked we have had not so good talent and great coaching ..

we have taken huge strides to reversing the talent drain with some great FA pick ups and while they are older Josh has taken steps to have their replacements up and running when they retire via the draft .. time will tell..

We still have a long way to go IMHO on the LOS still need a big, mean and nasty 315 + pound OG to replace either Kuper at ORG so he can play OLG or to play Hamilton's spot.. we need to be training a new nasty mean center for when he retires.. I'd like to see a 305+ guy there also..

we need a mean ans nasty NT in the 335-350 range someone that can not be moved.. that does not mean a sloppy fat dude perhaps Thomas can bulk up there to get to 340 or so..

I'm not looking for slobs but in condition stronger bigger LOS types.. the NT is going to be the hardest to find.. From what I have seen their are a lot of quality OG in the draft this year.. perhaps a second or third round pick on that one..

I would have loved to see if jay could have been retrained in this scheme but somehow I think he knew he would not be happy in it and that is why he really wanted to move on..

I'm happy with the changes and as long as we do not get our asses kicked like we have in the past I know we will get better as we "get" the schemes and the new players next to them on the field..

there will be more changes next year but they will not be as massive as this year.. 31 newbies to the broncos and those that stay will have just that much more time getting to know the schemes..

happy days are here again..:elefant::elefant::elefant:

claymore
11-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I know the folks that could not get past mike or jay were loaded for bear in the off season and they (some) were coming around till we lost to two outstanding teams.. not sure why they thought we could beat either of them as they have more talent that we and have really good coaches..

IMHO we have been sucking hind teat for almost a decade in getting quality players via the draft and that is coming back to haunt us the past few years.. one or two good drafts do not make up for the abysmal lack of talent on the team..

where SAN has a lot of talent there coaching has sucked we have had not so good talent and great coaching ..

we have taken huge strides to reversing the talent drain with some great FA pick ups and while they are older Josh has taken steps to have their replacements up and running when they retire via the draft .. time will tell..

We still have a long way to go IMHO on the LOS still need a big, mean and nasty 315 + pound OG to replace either Kuper at ORG so he can play OLG or to play Hamilton's spot.. we need to be training a new nasty mean center for when he retires.. I'd like to see a 305+ guy there also..

we need a mean ans nasty NT in the 335-350 range someone that can not be moved.. that does not mean a sloppy fat dude perhaps Thomas can bulk up there to get to 340 or so..

I'm not looking for slobs but in condition stronger bigger LOS types.. the NT is going to be the hardest to find.. From what I have seen their are a lot of quality OG in the draft this year.. perhaps a second or third round pick on that one..

yes there are a lot of "fans" I use that term loosely that are going to rag on the HC, Scheme, and some of the players because their favorites are gone..

I would have loved to see if jay could have been retrained in this scheme but somehow I think he knew he would not be happy in it and that is why he really wanted to move on..

I'm happy with the changes and as long as we do not get our asses kicked like we have in the past I know we will get better as we "get" the schemes and the new players next to them on the field..

there will be more changes next year but they will not be as massive as this year.. 31 newbies to the broncos and those that stay will have just that much more time getting to know the schemes..

happy days are here again..:elefant::elefant::elefant:

Way to find a way to fit Jay and Mike into an Alphonso Smith thread. LMAO.

Lonestar
11-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Way to find a way to fit Jay and Mike into an Alphonso Smith thread. LMAO.

you want know how to not read about mike and jay, skip my posts..

I will not lose any sleep over it..

rcsodak
11-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Well, RC -- I made this thread in jest. I supported the Smith pick from the get go and still do. This was on par with Honz thread earlier. He was my favorite corner in the draft and we got him. Of course I'm stoked.

Dream, for once, we casually agree. You aren't in my 'haters' club......

...yet. lol

claymore
11-22-2009, 08:13 AM
you want know how to not read about mike and jay, skip my posts..

I will not lose any sleep over it..

Ive tied to put you on ignore but cannot. Jay and Mike have nothing to do with us now. Your blind hate keeps you from looking at this team realistically, and keeps you from having any expectations because you are so happy they are gone.

I loved those guys. But I know they are gone. This team is so different from last year I dont see how you can continue to compare them.

slim
11-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Hindsight = 20/20

Anywho, it's way to early to say.

EMB6903
11-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Way too early to tell if we made a mistake on Alphonso Smith, What I do know is he made flashes early on before the injury and hasnt looked the same since. But still CB is one of the toughest positions to make the adjustment from college to pro's.

Theres been only 9 games and hes missed several of those due to injury. Patience.

Ray Finkle
11-22-2009, 12:07 PM
It is difficult to judge what a rookie is going to do in half of their first season. Rookie WR, CB, QB's typically don't do well that first year. Patience....

Slick
11-22-2009, 12:36 PM

Dealing a 1 to move up in the second to get Smith is why he will always be under the microscope. It isn't his fault, but it is what it is. It pissed many folks off.

We all know Rome wasn't built in a day, but with that move, it seemed like McDaniels was trying to do just that.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-22-2009, 01:28 PM
And we all know how the Roman Empire ended, so basically we're screwed and Smith is going to be a bust. Where is Lenny Walls when you need him?

claymore
11-22-2009, 02:38 PM
And we all know how the Roman Empire ended, so basically we're screwed and Smith is going to be a bust. Where is Lenny Walls when you need him?

Id rather have Smith than walls. Unless we had to give a # one up for Smith.. Oh dangit.

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Dealing a 1 to move up in the second to get Smith is why he will always be under the microscope. It isn't his fault, but it is what it is. It pissed many folks off.

We all know Rome wasn't built in a day, but with that move, it seemed like McDaniels was trying to do just that.
The ONLY way you grade him, is by waiting to see who that pick NEXT year,at that draft position, turns out to be. And then remember that he now has a year under his belt.

THe only people it "pissed off", is those that wanted some big name rookie that they'd been tooting their horns for all off season. Guess they took it personal. :rolleyes:

claymore
11-22-2009, 03:12 PM
The ONLY way you grade him, is by waiting to see who that pick NEXT year,at that draft position, turns out to be. And then remember that he now has a year under his belt.

THe only people it "pissed off", is those that wanted some big name rookie that they'd been tooting their horns for all off season. Guess they took it personal. :rolleyes:

It was a rushed panic pick and trade that had very little thought put into it. Im sure people will get pissed that a number one pick was wasted on a drunk hard on (which is the equivalent).

If he was so good we would have used last years Number one pick.

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 03:14 PM
It was a rushed panic pick and trade that had very little thought put into it. Im sure people will get pissed that a number one pick was wasted on a drunk hard on (which is the equivalent).

If he was so good we would have used last years Number one pick.

Whatever you say, clay.

Everybody know you're the 'all-knowing'.....

....in fact, I heard they made the movie "Men who stare at goats" with you in mind. :elefant:

claymore
11-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Whatever you say, clay.

Everybody know you're the 'all-knowing'.....

....in fact, I heard they made the movie "Men who stare at goats" with you in mind. :elefant:

Whatever. If you could defend the pick there wouldnt be an argument.

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Whatever. If you could defend the pick there wouldnt be an argument.

Why should I have to defend it? I didn't make it. I wasn't in the war room. I'm not the head coach.

In other words, I'm not in the know as much as you are.... :coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
11-22-2009, 03:33 PM

So we have to evaluate Smith based on who was taken at #39 or whatever in the second round this year, even if he doesn't play corner? Huh. . .

Slick
11-22-2009, 07:11 PM

I just wanted a good player rc. First round draft picks should contribute to the team. The later rounds are where you take your projects.

...and if we're not allowed to play armchair GM on the message board or voice displeasure once in awhile, what is this place for?

I'm not throwing him under the bus yet, and I'm far from a doom and gloom kind of guy. You know this.

NameUsedBefore
11-22-2009, 07:19 PM
The Alphonso Smith.

Today seeing the sidelines.

Tomorrow the field.

The great Daniel Quinn.

Who could not love that great trade?

Blocking for the ages.