PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Simms likely to start Sunday.

Italianmobstr7
11-19-2009, 05:05 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=4671704

Simms takes snaps with starters
Associated Press
November 19, 2009
Comment on this story

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Chris Simms was taking snaps with the Denver Broncos' starters again Thursday.

That makes it increasingly likely that Simms will start against San Diego on Sunday in place of Kyle Orton, who sprained his left ankle last week against Washington.

Coach Josh McDaniels said Orton was feeling better, but Simms was the one under center during the portion of practice open to the media Thursday.

Simms hasn't started a game since Sept. 24, 2006, when he played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and was battered so badly by the Carolina Panthers that he needed emergency surgery to remove his spleen.

Ravage!!!
11-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Its his coming out party!! The Chargers will have NO film on the dude! He's coming out of no-where! Its like a 'stealth' surprise attack.

dogfish
11-19-2009, 05:22 PM
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8885/facepalm2n.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/i/facepalm2n.jpg/)

Timmy!
11-19-2009, 05:24 PM
I'll up that ante Dogfish:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3517/3464488770_622e8e81d3.jpg

Nomad
11-19-2009, 05:25 PM
If Simms ever wanted to win over BRONCO fans, then him leading this team to a victory against SD would be a very, very good start!! This may be a multi-beer game!!:D

slim
11-19-2009, 05:27 PM
If Simms ever wanted to win over BRONCO fans, then him leading this team to a victory against SD would be a very, very good start!! This may be a multi-beer game!!:D

Every game is a multi-beer game.

dogfish
slim, hold me. . . .

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
I'll up that ante Dogfish:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3517/3464488770_622e8e81d3.jpg
I'll up it as well.
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/osujunkie/4225_77246023460_591183460_1900404_.jpg

GEM
11-19-2009, 05:29 PM
And the odds that my remote goes through my big screen just skyrocketed.

honz
11-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Meh, doesn't mean much to me. You obviously want Orton to rest his ankle and let it heal. Orton will start if he is healthy enough to go regardless of how many reps he gets in practice.

nevcraw
11-19-2009, 05:36 PM
remember how bad orton was in pre-season?? Simms had his re-preseason last week..

I expect him to play miles above last week..

BigDaddyBronco
11-19-2009, 05:38 PM
I might have to have the wife take the kids to the park or something during the game.

SHIT!!!!

NightTrainLayne
11-19-2009, 05:39 PM
If Simms starts, at least he's had all the snaps this week.

If he plays great and we win, great.

If he play great and we lose. . .well, then we've got problems that exceed Orton's injury.

If he plays bad and we lose. . .well, we're still just one game behind SD with 6 left on the schedule. It's not the end of the season.

I predict Simms plays decently. Whether or not that translates into a Bronco win is another question.

UnderArmour
11-19-2009, 05:43 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
PLEASE ORTON!
PLEASE!!!!!!!
Miraculously heal, our season depends on it!!!!!

ORTONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-19-2009, 05:47 PM
It's a McDaniels smoke screen Orton will play.

BigDaddyBronco
11-19-2009, 05:47 PM
It's a McDaniels smoke screen Orton will play.

God, I hope so.

slim
11-19-2009, 05:49 PM
LOL...everyone that threw KO under the bus, even before he ever took a snap, is now crapping themselves.

That is hilarious.

BigDaddyBronco
11-19-2009, 05:50 PM
LOL...everyone that threw KO under the bus, even before he ever took a snap, is now crapping themselves.

That is hilarious.
Except Claymore and Dortoh. They have been the consistent idiots we love.

NightTrainLayne
11-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Except Claymore and Dortoh. They have been the consistent idiots we love.

Consistently inconsistent. :D

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I've been an advocate of Orton as the starter since the day of the trade, Jay Cutler was useless and Kyle is a leader. Kyle is our franchise QB. Maybe you don't like the neckbeard or the immobility, and he may not look the part but he is the man. Next year when he has the system down more you'll see.

BigDaddyBronco
11-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I like how Orton isn't an alcoholic diabetic, just an alcoholic.

Oh yea, he isn't a DB either.

slim
11-19-2009, 05:58 PM
I have never seen him pout.

Northman
11-19-2009, 06:15 PM
http://valueacceleration.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/lombardi_trophy2.jpg

Dreadnought
11-19-2009, 06:26 PM
I am taking a Zen view of things. There are zero good options available to us. Orton on two good legs? Debatable, but that option isn't available anyways. On a bad leg? Bad - and we get a chance for him to hurt it worse too. Simms? Bad. Brandstater? Bad, as in nowhere near ready.

Maybe we get lucky. Who knows? SD is known to lay the occassional egg now and again.

Slick
11-19-2009, 06:39 PM
If Simms starts, I hope Harris is in to protect his blind side. I rather not see Kyle play if he isn't healthy. We could lose this game and still make the playoffs. It will be a much tougher road obviously but it isn't an impossibility.

...and if we can't run the ball it won't matter who starts. Our defense has been on the field way too much in the last 3 games.

We also can't afford to give cheap return touchdowns to that little munchkn either.

Shazam!
11-19-2009, 07:02 PM
They're ****ed if Simms is going. Oh God.

shank
11-19-2009, 07:05 PM
my bright side:

it's a physical impossibility for simms to play worse than he did last week. if he can play like he did in preseason, we still have a chance.

still, i'm hoping smokescreen.

but i don't want orton rushing back. he was playing great last year before an ankle injury, he rushed back, and wasn't the same afterward. i'd prefer him to get healthy and be back to 100% later in the season. but at the same time, hurting your left ankle is a lot different than hurtin your right ankle for a right-handed qb... so we'll just have to see how it all plays out.

claymore
11-19-2009, 08:10 PM

If he play great and we lose. . .well, then we've got problems that exceed Orton's injury.

If he plays bad and we lose. . .well, we're still just one game behind SD with 6 left on the schedule. It's not the end of the season.

I predict Simms plays decently. Whether or not that translates into a Bronco win is another question.

I think we have problems that exceed Ortons injury. This team reminds me of the 06 Broncos.

claymore
11-19-2009, 08:11 PM
my bright side:

it's a physical impossibility for simms to play worse than he did last week. if he can play like he did in preseason, we still have a chance.

still, i'm hoping smokescreen.

but i don't want orton rushing back. he was playing great last year before an ankle injury, he rushed back, and wasn't the same afterward. i'd prefer him to get healthy and be back to 100% later in the season. but at the same time, hurting your left ankle is a lot different than hurtin your right ankle for a right-handed qb... so we'll just have to see how it all plays out.

He wont get a second half to play if he plays like he did.

T.K.O.
11-19-2009, 08:52 PM
i dont know where they got the info ,but i just found this interesting little tidbit on espn.com.....

C/ATT: 24.0/37.0
YDS: 252.0
TD: 1.5
CAR: 15.0
YDS: 57.0
TD: 0.5
REC: 4.4
YDS: 73.0
TD: 0.6

Kyle Orton is slated to play and it is a good thing he is as a Chris Simms led Broncos only had a 30 percent chance. The Chargers got a good game from LaDainian Tomlinson last week. The Broncos run defense has been increasingly vulnerable in recent weeks. If LT averages over 4 yards per carry and Philip Rivers throws no more than 1 INT the Broncos are solid 70 percent favorites. However, if LT is held under 4 ypc and the Chargers pass rush does not get good pressure on Orton and he is sacked no more than twice it is the Broncos who are favored at 53 percent.

MOtorboat
11-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Just give him time, guys. Man, you guys judge people WAY too fast.

As a wise man once said, he's as good as Carson Palmer.

claymore
11-19-2009, 08:57 PM
i dont know where they got the info ,but i just found this interesting little tidbit on espn.com.....

Kyle Orton is slated to play and it is a good thing he is as a Chris Simms led Broncos only had a 30 percent chance. The Chargers got a good game from LaDainian Tomlinson last week. The Broncos run defense has been increasingly vulnerable in recent weeks. If LT averages over 4 yards per carry and Philip Rivers throws no more than 1 INT the Broncos are solid 70 percent favorites. However, if LT is held under 4 ypc and the Chargers pass rush does not get good pressure on Orton and he is sacked no more than twice it is the Broncos who are favored at 53 percent.We cant trust your statistics cause you have so much invested in your username. :coffee:

slim
11-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for the six wins we have this year, for my beautiful son, for my smokin' hot wife and for Goldenrod.

Timmy!
11-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for the six wins we have this year, for my beautiful son, for my smokin' hot wife and for Goldenrod.

Slim, did you hear that Goldenrod was part of the infamous "Wood?"

slim
11-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Slim, did you hear that Goldenrod was part of the infamous "Wood?"

I have heard a little of the so called "Wood".

Truth is, I was a little scared to probe for more answers.

rcsodak
11-19-2009, 11:26 PM

If denver loses, sd has a MUCH easier remaining schedule than denver does. It doesn't bode well, and denver will be playing for a wildcard.

Phi/NYG/Indy could very well be losses
KC*2*/OAK SHOULD be 3 wins.

That's 9-7 if Denver can break the jinx of losing to AFCW cellar dwellars.

rcsodak
11-19-2009, 11:33 PM

Kyle Orton is slated to play and it is a good thing he is as a Chris Simms led Broncos only had a 30 percent chance. The Chargers got a good game from LaDainian Tomlinson last week. The Broncos run defense has been increasingly vulnerable in recent weeks. If LT averages over 4 yards per carry and Philip Rivers throws no more than 1 INT the Broncos are solid 70 percent favorites. However, if LT is held under 4 ypc and the Chargers pass rush does not get good pressure on Orton and he is sacked no more than twice it is the Broncos who are favored at 53 percent.

WTH? So you're saying Denver are favorites no matter what? :confused:

sneakers
11-20-2009, 01:09 AM
At least he can't be worse than last week

Medford Bronco
11-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Run the football and no turnovers and see what happens.

Also pressure Rivers big time like game 1 this year.
Its not impossible, its not like the Sparklers are the 1985 Bears
or something.

Dirk
11-20-2009, 06:43 AM
A team of Moreno and Hillis to pound the ball over and over and over!!

Nomad
11-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Run the football and no turnovers and see what happens.

Also pressure Rivers big time like game 1 this year.
Its not impossible, its not like the Sparklers are the 1985 Bears
or something.

Sproles (especially on ST) and V Jackson are going to have to be contained! BRONCOS also have to find a way to defend those short passes when Rivers is pressured. I believe Denver can score enough to win, it's the defense that has to step up and hold SD to a minimal points. BRONCOS won't win a shootout. And the difference last game was Royal's two returns for TDs, what's the chances of this happening again??

I also believe this game will be the BRONCOS momentum changer or they'll keep spiraling into their losing tailspin for weeks to come!!

BRONCOS have to find some intensity and the so-called leaders need to find a way to motivate this team and quit giving up in the 4th!!! If the BRONCOS can't/don't get hyped up for this game, then what game will they!!:coffee:

Nomad
11-20-2009, 07:16 AM
If denver loses, sd has a MUCH easier remaining schedule than denver does. It doesn't bode well, and denver will be playing for a wildcard.

Phi/NYG/Indy could very well be losses
KC*2*/OAK SHOULD be 3 wins.

That's 9-7 if Denver can break the jinx of losing to AFCW cellar dwellars.

As we were reminded last year, KC and Oak aren't gimmes. You'd think the BRONCOS should beat them convincing, like SD does, but like you say BRONCOS have a hard time with teams more medicore than them in the 2nd half of the season. I guess it doesn't matter who the HC is.

BRONCOS will have to win the AFC West in order to make the playoffs, imo!! That's what makes this Chargers game even that more important!!

red98
11-20-2009, 09:28 AM
BRONCOS will have to win the AFC West in order to make the playoffs, imo!! That's what makes this Chargers game even that more important!!

I agree. I don't think a wildcard is coming out of the west this year.

As far as the game, if the Broncos remember how to stop the run while in their nickle formation and don't turn over the ball on O, they should win.

Shazam!
11-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Denver is ****ed if Orton can't go. I'll be thrilled if the Broncos somehow win with Simms, but I can see a trainwreck coming a mile away here.

I also think it's interesting the same people killing Orton before he even played a game have lined up with the chant 'Give Simms a chance." Ironic.

claymore
11-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Denver is ****ed if Orton can't go. I'll be thrilled if the Broncos somehow win with Simms, but I can see a trainwreck coming a mile away here.

I also think it's interesting the same people killing Orton before he even played a game have lined up with the chant 'Give Simms a chance." Ironic.

I find it funny how all the guys that lined up and said "give Orton a chance" Wont give simms a shot.

Orton scares no defense, and we cant run the ball from McDaniels offense. Something needs to change.

Shazam!
11-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Orton scares no defense...

Yes. The defensive coordinators of Denver's remaining opponents are all scared to death now because of the QB juggernaut Chris Simms.

dogfish
11-20-2009, 10:39 AM
As far as the game, if the Broncos remember how to stop the run while in their nickle formation and don't turn over the ball on O, they should win.

we're going to need the offense to put some points on the board, too-- more than 14 or 17. . . maybe i'm wrong about this, but i don't think we've got much chance just playing ball-control and asking the defense to shut them out in the second half. . .

claymore
11-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Yes. The defensive coordinators of Denver's remaining opponents are all scared to death now because of the QB juggernaut Chris Simms.

They have no real film on him. Its JMCD's fault if simms doesnt succeed.

broncofaninfla
11-20-2009, 10:48 AM

I agree, our offensive game plan will be the key to how Simms does. Too safe and we'll fail for sure. It needs to be balanced with a solid running game and taking the occasional shot down the field to keep the defense honest. The past 3 weeks we have been out coached, that can't happen this sunday or we will find our selves in second place in the afc west.

red98
11-20-2009, 10:57 AM
we're going to need the offense to put some points on the board, too-- more than 14 or 17. . . maybe i'm wrong about this, but i don't think we've got much chance just playing ball-control and asking the defense to shut them out in the second half. . .

I agree. I don't think we'll have a problem moving the ball if we use a game plan like we did in the first half last week, as long as Simms plays like he's being paid (or KO can go.)

I know that if we don't fix our run D or we turn it over on O we won't have much of a chance.

claymore
11-20-2009, 11:03 AM
We cant run from the shotgun.

NightTrainLayne
11-20-2009, 11:16 AM
I find it funny how all the guys that lined up and said "give Orton a chance" Wont give simms a shot.

That's not true at all Clay.

claymore
11-20-2009, 11:17 AM
That's not true at all Clay.

The shoe doesnt fit everyone, but it fits some.

weazel
11-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Simms to start...

uh oh

CoachChaz
11-20-2009, 05:37 PM

If McD is the one throwing the ball to white jerseys or 5 yards out of a receivers reach...then I'll agree.

T.K.O.
11-20-2009, 05:40 PM
can the guys sport the yellow throwbacks if they want ?
it worked out well last time...:D

Northman
11-20-2009, 05:45 PM
If McD is the one throwing the ball to white jerseys or 5 yards out of a receivers reach...then I'll agree.

Or if the ST's group cant recognize a fake FG and lose containment of every man.

Slick
11-20-2009, 08:08 PM

Orton scares no defense, and we cant run the ball from McDaniels offense. Something needs to change.

Two different cases. One is a starting QB, the other hasn't played in 2 years. ...and when he did get in last week, he looked worse than JaMarcus Russel.

I agree that Orton doesn't scare anyone, and I also agree that it seems like we've lost our running groove that we've had for many many years. This is my biggest concern with the new regime.

All of our expectations got inflated up after a 6-0 start. We went from cautiously optimistic to playoffs or bust.

I realize what you have done here over the last few weeks. You are back to being the bad guy because it was good for team mojo. Clay, you should be heralded for the sacrifice you are making. I'd beer you if I could.

pnbronco
11-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Its his coming out party!! The Chargers will have NO film on the dude! He's coming out of no-where! Its like a 'stealth' surprise attack.

Stink kind of said the same thing, well the no film part and that last week didn't give them anything to work with.

I will support Simms with everything I've got because it really looks like he will be our starting QB on Sunday.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't care how we do it but we need a win in the worst way this week. Not just because it's SD, but to give the team some confidence back. This team has done a complete 180 since the bye week.

The bottom line is, this is our most important game of the season. We lose, we're second place in the division and not playing well enough to compete with other AFC teams for the Wild Card. We need to win the division if we want to make the playoffs.

This I hate to make a prediction for week 11, but if we win this week, we make the playoffs. If we don't, we're out. That's my prediction.

claymore
11-20-2009, 09:48 PM
He has had a long time to work with Simms, this is the 10th game. If McDaniels isnt responsible, then fire whoever is cause they suck.

Two different cases. One is a starting QB, the other hasn't played in 2 years. ...and when he did get in last week, he looked worse than JaMarcus Russel.

I agree that Orton doesn't scare anyone, and I also agree that it seems like we've lost our running groove that we've had for many many years. This is my biggest concern with the new regime.

All of our expectations got inflated up after a 6-0 start. We went from cautiously optimistic to playoffs or bust.

I realize what you have done here over the last few weeks. You are back to being the bad guy because it was good for team mojo. Clay, you should be heralded for the sacrifice you are making. I'd beer you if I could.
The jamarcus argument isnt a very good one, because Simms has had much less practice.

I really Hope Simms starts, it will be very telling to me what kind of coach we have.

If Simms looks good, and we win the game, or it is close, than we have a coach that can evaluate talent, Make adjustments and game plan a high risk/High reward game.

If we lose it could mean 10,000 things........

rcsodak
11-20-2009, 10:10 PM
We cant run from the shotgun.

Wrong. Wild Horses is out of the shotgun and avg's well over 4yds a carry.

rcsodak
11-20-2009, 10:29 PM
He has had a long time to work with Simms, this is the 10th game. If McDaniels isnt responsible, then fire whoever is cause they suck.

The jamarcus argument isnt a very good one, because Simms has had much less practice.

I really Hope Simms starts, it will be very telling to me what kind of coach we have.

If Simms looks good, and we win the game, or it is close, than we have a coach that can evaluate talent, Make adjustments and game plan a high risk/High reward game.

If you think McD has been 'working' with Simms for 10 wks, you're funnier than I thought, clay.

Simms is the "vet", brought in because he's played in games and already showed McD he had something. It's up to him to learn the scheme from standing behind Orton. I don't believe his situation is the same as Cassell's.

Sure you're not just looking for blame, should SD win?

MOtorboat
11-21-2009, 12:20 AM

Right. For the first time this week. Fire Simms. He just doesn't get it. Not sure why you can't understand that...:noidea:

:mustbecoachingbecauseihatethecoachbecausehetraded myfavoriteplayer:

topscribe
11-21-2009, 12:47 AM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/doingitwrong.jpg

-----

Shazam!
11-21-2009, 12:58 AM

Clay, I think you've finally lost it.

sneakers
11-21-2009, 01:24 AM
Orton still didn't practice today?

rcsodak
11-21-2009, 03:59 PM

Not sure they practice on saturdays...

...but he didn't practice all week IN FRONT OF THE MEDIA.

Take that for what it's worth.

Ziggy
11-21-2009, 04:28 PM
The truly funny thing is........if Simms has a great day, throws the long ball well, and the Broncos win the game by scoring a lot of points, all we are going to be reading about next week is that there is a QB controversy in Denver.

pnbronco
11-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Sneakers I know he didn't practice yesterday. I pretty sure they do a fast walk through on Sat, so I really think it's Simms.

Ravage!!!
11-21-2009, 04:33 PM
The truly funny thing is........if Simms has a great day, throws the long ball well, and the Broncos win the game by scoring a lot of points, all we are going to be reading about next week is that there is a QB controversy in Denver.

you are right. I dn't see it happening... but if it happens like your example, absolutely there will be.

pnbronco
11-21-2009, 04:44 PM
you are right. I dn't see it happening... but if it happens like your example, absolutely there will be.

:frusty:...........:frusty: I don't think there is enough aspirin in Denver to go through another controversy. Man I'll have to give up the boards and work..:pout:

I want Simms to not loose the game and for the D to be brilliant.

claymore
11-21-2009, 05:29 PM
wrong. Wild horses is out of the shotgun and avg's well over 4yds a carry.

lol.

Lonestar
11-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Broncos QB Orton unable to practice again and is listed as questionable on injury report.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/21/2009 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 11/21/2009 08:27:19 AM MST

Last week, Chris Simms took his first meaningful snaps in an NFL game in three years, and the rust showed. (Denver Post file photo)Whatever the odds were earlier in the week of Chris Simms being the Broncos' starting quarterback Sunday, add a few percentage points.

Kyle Orton, the starter through nine games, was not able to practice as he had hoped Friday because of his severely sprained left ankle. Orton attended the Broncos' morning walkthrough but was held out of the team's afternoon practice. Simms, who relieved Orton in the second half against Washington last week, took the first-team practice snaps for the third consecutive day.

The Broncos play San Diego at Invesco Field at Mile High on Sunday in a matchup of AFC West co-leaders.

"I am going to approach it like I am going (to play)," Simms said. "I've gotten a lot of reps the last (three) days, and we'll go from there. In the end, it comes down to Coach and Kyle, and we'll see where they want to go with it."

The Broncos listed Orton as "questionable" on their injury report Friday, which means he has a 50-50 chance to play. Had he been listed as "doubtful," he would have had just a 25 percent chance of playing.

"We're going to monitor it and see how he's doing on Sunday, early in the day, and then make our declaration at that point," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said.

Orton has been receiving round-the-clock treatment on his left ankle, which he injured after he scrambled and was tackled by Washington's Brian Orakpo in the final seconds of the first half last Sunday.

Whatever happens Sunday morning, the Broncos carried on this week with Simms as their quarterback.

"I'm in love with Chris Simms' arm," receiver Brandon Marshall said. "He has a great arm, but he's also smart and also one of the hardest workers we have on this team."

Having not taken a meaningful NFL snap since he suffered a ruptured spleen in the third game of the 2006 season, Simms struggled against the Redskins, completing 3-of-13 passes for 13 yards with an interception and three sacks.

But that was after getting few practice snaps the previous 10 weeks of the regular season.

"I think last week he was at a huge disadvantage," Marshall said. "With this week of preparation, he'll have a better shot to move the ball down the field."

Orton and Simms are as different as left (Simms) and right (Orton). Simms has a stronger arm, but Orton is the more accomplished quarterback, having posted a 27-15 career record, including 6-3 with the Broncos this year.

There is more.

"Two different personalities," Marshall said. "Chris is a more outgoing guy. He's funny, he keeps us rolling."

At that point, Simms walked behind the media throng gathered at Marshall's locker and chided: "Shut up!"

"See, right there, that's every day," Marshall said.

The Broncos will see come Sunday.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13837757

rcsodak
11-21-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't know why they throw that 3rd loss on Orton's record, frankly. He left the game while they were in the lead.
Not that it matters, but just sayin'......

topscribe
11-21-2009, 08:24 PM
I don't know why they throw that 3rd loss on Orton's record, frankly. He left the game while they were in the lead.

By halftime, Orton had a 134.7 QB rating, and the Broncos were leading.

Guess that means Orton should be charged with the loss. :whoknows:

-----

BroncoBJ
11-21-2009, 10:03 PM

Yea, I've never liked that rule either. Just like in baseball, the starting pitcher doesn't always get a win or a loss. Its a number of pitchers who can get the w/l. And I think it should be that way for football. Just like I don't think its fair if a player starts and then gets hurt on the 1st play of the game and the backup comes in and they lose.

Never been fond of that rule either. I hope Orton starts though. Damn, I never knew how much I liked/appreciated Orton til he gets hurt. :lol:

Shazam!
11-21-2009, 11:39 PM

Guess that means Orton should be charged with the loss.

If KO had finished, Broncos would've won and be 7-2. I believe that.

Then if they won tomorrow, the AFC West would essentially be won too.

Oh well... coulda woulda shoulda...

BCJ
11-22-2009, 01:03 PM
I am going to Church in 30 minutes. I will pray for the sick, our fighting soldiers and Simms to act like a QB.

claymore
11-22-2009, 01:06 PM
If KO had finished, Broncos would've won and be 7-2. I believe that.

Then if they won tomorrow, the AFC West would essentially be won too.

Oh well... coulda woulda shoulda...

Speculation. Orton put 3 real points on the board. I have no faith a full half of 3 & outs would have won the game for us.

BCJ
11-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Also, Simms almost knowing he will be starting all week should give him the knowledge of what is expected of him. McDaniels had a whole week with the first unit to see what works and what clearly is scraped. I hope there is enough positives for him to use for an entire 60 minutes of football.

claymore
11-22-2009, 01:08 PM

Guess that means Orton should be charged with the loss. :whoknows:

-----

It just means the QB rating is used when you want to, and dismissed when it doesnt suit you (us as fans).

The only QB rating that really matters is one that occurs over time. Lets say a year, or a career.

BCJ
11-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Speculation. Orton put 3 real points on the board. I have no faith a full half of 3 & outs would have won the game for us.

really? I saw two passes thrown for TDs. Those dont count as real points? What would make you think that what was done in the first half, couldnt be duplicated (or at least have long drives to keep Redskins off and our D off the field)?

claymore
11-22-2009, 01:13 PM
really? I saw two passes thrown for TDs. Those dont count as real points? What would make you think that what was done in the first half, couldnt be duplicated (or at least have long drives to keep Redskins off and our D off the field)?

Of all the games you've ever watched, how many of them have had WR's that were completely uncovered? That is luck. Yes they were points, and it miraculously happened twice, but even with those super awesome TD's of magical brilliance, Orton only gave us a 3 point cushion.

Every thing else was 3 & out.

Northman
11-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Of all the games you've ever watched, how many of them have had WR's that were completely uncovered? That is luck. Yes they were points, and it miraculously happened twice, but even with those super awesome TD's of magical brilliance, Orton only gave us a 3 point cushion.

All i know is #85 for the Colts was wide open when Manning hit him for a large gain. But what do i know.

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 01:28 PM

It's a team game, clay...remember? Anyway, that was the excuse this past offseason...:noidea:

Hey, look Hines Ward was completely wide open...so it happens to other teams, too...who woulda thunk it?

SoCalImport
11-22-2009, 01:30 PM
This just reported, but I'm guessing it may just be NE style mind games....hmmm...which way though?

"Orton just worked out on the field in front of McD and Greek...made a few throws, trotted around for 10 minutes and back inside."
http://twitter.com/VicLombardi/statuses/5951375861

honz
11-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Claytroll

NightTrainLayne
11-22-2009, 01:40 PM

Would you get real for once? I've watched literally thousands of football games from High School, College and the NFL. And I've never thought of a completed pass to a wide open receiver as luck. That is just the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen.

Maybe if the CB slipped and fell, but other than that, wide open receivers and busted coverages are part of football. They happen in every game, but the QB doesn't always see it and/or complete it. Quit digging yourself in.

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Maybe if the WR slipped and fell

Fixed...just one of the excuses used for another certain quarterback we know...

honz
11-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Remember when Cutler missed several wide open WR's that would have gone for TD's in the Buffalo game last year? If only we had been more lucky! :honztroll:

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 01:45 PM
remember when cutler missed several wide open wr's that would have gone for td's in the buffalo game last year? If only we had been more lucky! :honztroll:

bam!

topscribe
11-22-2009, 02:24 PM
It just means the QB rating is used when you want to, and dismissed when it doesnt suit you (us as fans).

The only QB rating that really matters is one that occurs over time. Lets say a year, or a career.

So then, you're saying Orton should have been charged with the loss?

But of course you are . . . :coffee:

-----

Northman
11-22-2009, 02:32 PM
I will also add that since that open receiver got open Manning tried to go to the well again and was picked off by Reed. 2 Ints by Manning today and they only lead 14-12. By all technical standards the Colts should be blowing the Ravens away because according to some we lost to a bad Ravens team.........

topscribe
11-22-2009, 02:33 PM
I will also add that since that open receiver got open Manning tried to go to the well again and was picked off by Reed. 2 Ints by Manning today and they only lead 14-12. By all technical standards the Colts should be blowing the Ravens away because according to some we lost to a bad Ravens team.........

Who you talking about? Manning Orton?

-----

Northman
11-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Anyone see the Clev/Det highlights? Both Johnson and Stucky caught wide open TD passes. Sure is a lot of luck going on in the NFL.

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Anyone see the Clev/Det highlights? Both Johnson and Stucky caught wide open TD passes. Sure is a lot of luck going on in the NFL.

No, it's only luck when it's Kyle Orton.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Luck is an ambiguous term. It could be applied to a lot of success stories in the NFL, whether it be a corner falling down or the offense by chance recognizing a coverage they saw on tape and adjusting the receiver routes correctly to get a game winning score. It happens to everyone, and Orton shouldn't be downed for making the big plays he did last week. I also do not think that people should confuse those throws with equating to superior arm strength either. But really Clay, you are too much.

Northman
11-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Luck is an ambiguous term. It could be applied to a lot of success stories in the NFL, whether it be a corner falling down or the offense by chance recognizing a coverage they saw on tape and adjusting the receiver routes correctly to get a game winning score. It happens to everyone, and Orton shouldn't be downed for making the big plays he did last week. I also do not think that people should confuse those throws with equating to superior arm strength either. But really Clay, you are too much.

Ive never seen anyone say that Orton has superior arm strength, only that he can get it down field. But my god if being wide open constitutes as being lucky Reggie Wayne has got to be the luckiest SOB ive ever seen play the game.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Ive never seen anyone say that Orton has superior arm strength, only that he can get it down field. But my god if being wide open constitutes as being lucky Reggie Wayne has got to be the luckiest SOB ive ever seen play the game.

Several posters on this site embellished the yardage of those throws to Marshall, as far as "air travel." -- And I hear you. Clay is being a troll. Ignore him.

Northman
11-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Several posters on this site embellished the yardage of those throws to Marshall, as far as "air travel." -- And I hear you. Clay is being a troll. Ignore him.

Nah, i like Clay but he does make me laugh from time to time.

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Nah, i like Clay but he does make me laugh from time to time.

Forgive him. I have it on good authority that he began drinking five hours ago.

claymore
11-22-2009, 03:05 PM

Well if it isnt luck what was it? It cant be designed or it would happen every play. If we had 2 batted ball INT returns for td's I would call them luck as well.

You just dont see a #1 WR open like that every game. Let alone twice in a game

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Well if it isnt luck what was it? It cant be designed or it would happen every play. If we had 2 batted ball INT returns for td's I would call them luck as well.

How did Hines Ward get so open down the sideline a minute ago? Damn those No. 1 WRs for getting open.

Northman
11-22-2009, 03:06 PM

Ive seen it 4 times today already and those are just the games ive managed to see first hand. :confused:

topscribe
11-22-2009, 03:08 PM

Well then, it's luck a receiver gets open at all. It's luck that a RB sees a hole.

Brett Favre just threw a TD pass a few minutes ago. Wasn't he lucky that the
receiver thought to jump for the ball?

-----

claymore
11-22-2009, 03:09 PM
How did Hines Ward get so open down the sideline a minute ago? Damn those No. 1 WRs for getting open.
If it happens again its luck, or a shitty team being played against. Was the seperation really 15 yards?

Ive seen it 4 times today already and those are just the games ive managed to see first hand. :confused:

4x 40 +yard pass td's where the reciever didnt have a DB within 15 yards?

claymore
11-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Well then, it's luck a receiver gets open at all. It's luck that a RB sees a hole.

-----

Favre is an exception. He is lucky to not throw an iterception every play.

Northman
11-22-2009, 03:10 PM
If it happens again its luck, or a shitty team being played against. Was the seperation really 15 yards?

4x 40 +yard pass td's where the reciever didnt have a DB within 15 yards?

Yep

topscribe
11-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Favre is an exception. He is lucky to not throw an iterception every play.

I'll just let this stand. I don't think it needs a response. :lol:

-----

claymore
11-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I'll just let this stand. I don't think it needs a response. :lol:

-----

I dont like Favre, but I like screwing with Dream, he loves the guy.

claymore
11-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Yep

Did it happen twice per team or once.

Northman
11-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Did it happen twice per team or once.

One player twice in one game and 2 players playing in the same game. But i just saw Edwards throw a bomb to a wide open Owens (not 15 yards but wide open) so its happening a lot today. Just saw Mason drop and catch a pass when he was wide open. As i said, a lot of luck today. :lol:

Nomad
11-22-2009, 03:23 PM
One player twice in one game and 2 players playing in the same game. But i just saw Edwards throw a bomb to a wide open Owens (not 15 yards but wide open) so its happening a lot today. Just saw Mason drop and catch a pass when he was wide open. As i said, a lot of luck today. :lol:

Owens is having a hell of a day!!

LRtagger
11-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Boy I sure am glad the only game on here is Tampa vs NO. I wouldn't want to actually watch any of the competitive games today.

topscribe
11-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I dont like Favre, but I like screwing with Dream, he loves the guy.

I used to really like Favre, mainly because I'm a Green Bay fan.

I don't like Favre much anymore, mainly because I'm a Green Bay fan.

Kinda like how I used to feel about Cutler, as opposed to how I feel now . . .

-----

topscribe
11-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Owens is having a hell of a day!!

Luck. Damn the luck . . .

-----

Nomad
11-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Luck. Damn the luck . . .

-----

This is how lucky he is 8 catches for 189 yds and a TD!!

LRtagger
11-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Boy I sure am glad the only game on here is Tampa vs NO. I wouldn't want to actually watch any of the competitive games today.

And then I get to watch the potential nailbiter between the Jets and Pats.

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 03:31 PM

For anybody that might be confused here, what clay's trying to say is the defense giving up points was ALSO Orton's fault.

Ok...carry on with more of the ridiculous shit. :rolleyes:

LRtagger
11-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Top, check your MHS.

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM

No no no.....you silly ....

...they're not playing the redskins.....*last week*. :rolleyes:

Requiem / The Dagda
11-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Claymore, I don't understand. Brett Favre is awesome. Why wouldn't you want Simms to play like him?

topscribe
11-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Top, check your MHS.

Check your PMs.

-----

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 03:54 PM

Well, dream, I'm not sure where/who has "embellished", his "air travel". Top has gone back and listed what it was.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Well, dream, I'm not sure where/who has "embellished", his "air travel". Top has gone back and listed what it was.

I'm not going to get in a pissing match over it, but false stats were provided per the total yardage of the completions overall and how far the balls were actually thrown in relation to that. Good plays. We lost the game. Time to move on.

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 04:00 PM

You must not watch many Indy and/or NE games, then. :coffee:

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 04:03 PM

-----

No, top. I think clay's saying it's only luck when a BRONCO wr gets wide open. Every other team...well....it's skill. :coffee:

topscribe
11-22-2009, 04:05 PM

I kept seeing implications that the first pass to Marshall was only 40 yards. One
poster made the comment even he could throw 40 or so yards. That is why I
made an effort to explain how far the ball actually went in the air.

Nonetheless, you made a good point: If you are mathematically inclined to figure
the hypotenuse of the triangle, then that is a good situation. However, if you
are mathematically challenged, then, yes, forget it and move on . . .

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
11-22-2009, 04:20 PM
I tested out of Calculus 1 when I applied for college. I haven't taken Geometry in years -- and don't care to revisit the horrors. That sort of stuff is irrelevant in my life. I'm not mathematically challenged, I just don't enjoy doing it. :werd:

Italianmobstr7
11-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I hate Simms.

MOtorboat
11-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Interesting.

Jay Cutler misses wide open receivers on consecutive plays,

:noidea:

We should question his arm strength.

rcsodak
11-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Interesting.

Jay Cutler misses wide open receivers on consecutive plays,

:noidea:

We should question his arm strength.

Who? :confused:

Timmy!
11-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Goldenrod loves the wood.

What else needs to be said?

Lonestar
11-22-2009, 11:23 PM
:focus:

please folks cutler is not a bronco anymore..

this thread is about Simms..

I know pot meet kettle.. but I'm trying to swear off jay and mike posts..

topscribe
11-22-2009, 11:25 PM
:focus:

please folks cutler is not a bronco anymore..

this thread is about Simms..

I know pot meet kettle.. but I'm trying to swear off jay and mike posts..

That's a terrible habit to break, JR.

When the urge hits you, take three deep breaths and exhale slowly . . .

-----