PDA

View Full Version : Berger's net punting is Broncos' more important statistic

Lonestar
11-19-2009, 04:53 PM
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/19/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

The Broncos' special-teams coverage performance against San Diego a month ago was bad enough that coach Josh McDaniels decided to make his first roster move of the season, dropping punter Brett Kern and signing veteran Mitch Berger.

San Diego's Darren Sproles returned a low punt from Kern 77 yards for a touchdown in the first half, and Kern put two punts into the end zone for touchbacks.

"You just want to hit balls accurate and high and give your guys as much time to cover as you can," Berger said. "Hopefully you get some fair catches where (Sproles) doesn't have a chance at all. You want to put the ball in the part of the field where he has the least options possible."

Berger's gross punting average in the past three games is several yards shorter than Kern's — 39.7, compared with 46.1 for Kern — but the average net distance when returns are factored in has been slightly better (36.5 to 34.5). Berger also has put only one punt in the end zone in three games.

When the Broncos play the Chargers at Invesco Field at Mile High in Sunday's rematch, McDaniels and his staff will get another chance to see if they made the right decision to switch punters.

"(The Chargers) really have improved, significantly, in the kicking game and basically every area of special teams," McDaniels said.

Dozen for Dumervil.

Outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil has been credited with an additional half a sack in Denver's game at Washington, bringing his season total to 12. He had a career-high 12 1/2 sacks in 2007.

Dumervil initially was given credit for only his solo takedown of Jason Campbell, even though he had clearly shared in an earlier sack with teammate Darrell Reid. Dumervil also was in the backfield on a sack credited to Andra Davis.

"That was all Andra. I was just trying to go for the ball," Dumervil said. "But the one with me and Darrell, he had the legs, I got the top."

Dumervil now has a 1 1/2-sack lead over Minnesota's Jared Allen, who has 10 1/2, for the NFL lead.

Injury report.

The Broncos conducted their first practice in preparation for San Diego without four offensive players and one defensive player.

In addition to quarterback Kyle Orton, whose injured left ankle kept him sidelined, wide receiver Brandon Marshall (neck), running back LaMont Jordan (back), offensive tackle Ryan Harris (toe) and safety Josh Barrett (hamstring) did not participate. Marshall also missed the first practice last week, before the Washington game. He had five receptions for 134 yards and two touchdowns against the Redskins.

Harris has been ruled out for the third straight week.

Defensive end Ryan McBean, who missed the past two games, is no longer listed on the injury report.

In the doghouse.

Rookie tight end Richard Quinn was yanked during a blocking drill against linebackers Wednesday and reprimanded for several minutes by position coach Clancy Barone.

Quinn's playing time has decreased in recent weeks, including being inactive for the game against Pittsburgh.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13820261

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
11-19-2009, 04:57 PM
The coverage was awful because peyton hillis never knows his assignment.

weazel
11-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Is it just me or does every Bronco that turns out to be a good pass rusher not turn it on until his contract year?

Requiem / The Dagda
11-20-2009, 01:48 PM
^ Elvis seems to have done pretty solid in the past. Maybe he's just a natural at OLB. :)

Traveler
11-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Berger better earn his keep this Sunday. Same for Matt Prater.

I don't want to hear anything positive about Sproles.

Superchop 7
11-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Wouldn't his average be alot better if he wasn't shanking 2 punts a game ?