PDA

View Full Version : Broncos QB Orton hurting but hopes to play

Lonestar
11-19-2009, 04:50 PM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/19/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

In a year's time, Kyle Orton has come up with his own NFL version of the hokeypokey. He's had his right foot out. He's had his left foot out. And darned if it wouldn't have hurt had he tried to shake them all about.

Orton was clearly affected by the right ankle injury he suffered while playing for the Chicago Bears last year. He believes he will be less affected by the left ankle injury he suffered last weekend while playing for the Broncos.

How's that? The injuries are as different as left and right.

"Last year was so tough because it was pushing off," said Orton, referring to his right plant foot as a right-handed throwing quarterback. "That was my back leg, so that was tough. This will present a different challenge, I'm sure, but we'll see if I can play through it."

Had the AFC West clash of co-leaders been played Wednesday, Orton would not have been the Broncos' quarterback against the San Diego Chargers. His sore ankle — initially twisted two weeks earlier against the Baltimore Ravens — had not healed sufficiently to participate in practice. Chris Simms took most of the first-team practice reps Wednesday, and coach Josh McDaniels said rookie Tom Brandstater would get occasional snaps.

"I'm playing it by ear," Simms said. "I'm kind of like you guys, just waiting to find out."

Orton is hoping to practice on a limited basis today and play Sunday against the Chargers at Invesco Field at Mile High.

"Different foot and different deal," Orton said. "It's not the same type of thing, but I've played with leg injuries in the past, and hopefully I can do it this time."

Orton suffered his right ankle injury last season in Game 9. In the three games before his injury, Orton had completed 65.1 percent of his passes while averaging 301 yards per game and posting a 106.2 quarterback rating. In the three games after his injury, Orton completed only 49.4 percent of his passes for 139.3 yards

per game and a 61.2 rating.

Orton's ankle injury this season also took place in Game 9. He scrambled inside the Washington Redskins' 10-yard line when he was grabbed from behind by rookie Brian Orakpo late in the first half. Orton limped off the field and did not return for the second half.

"I came back last year as soon as I could, and I'll do the same thing this year," Orton said.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13820258

claymore
11-19-2009, 04:52 PM
I say we let him rest it until Febuary.