PDA

View Full Version : Jurassic- The Hunted

Shazam!
11-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Jurassic-The Hunted (JH) is a FPS developed by Activision for the 360, PS3, Wii, and PS2.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/66/Jurassic_The_Hunted_Box_Art.jpg/250px-Jurassic_The_Hunted_Box_Art.jpg

Since Jurassic Park's release in the early 90's, there have been a few video games that gave you the chance to blow dinosaurs away back to extinction. The most pominent of these was Turok-Dinosaur Hunter for the N64, and others like Dino Stalker and Dino Crisis had generally poor success. Here comes JH, a budget shooter by Activision, released curiously alongside their anticipated CoDMW2. The game is priced right at $40 ($30 for the PS2 version) and worth a look.

You're an agent for a private security force, hired to investigate the disappearance of a research team over 20 years ago in the Bremuda Triangle. Radio chatter was picked up from the scientists after all those years, and it is thought they survived. Suddenly, you wind up on a large island, surrounded by... ummm, dinosaurs.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/103/1035898/jurassic-the-hunted-20091016112134972_640w.jpg

Keep in mind this is a budget shooter. The story is fodder and the voice acting is mediocre. Your character is forgettable. It's hard to run out of ammo and it's strictly a run n' gun shooter. However, it is better than some of the full priced current-gen shooters released over the years, like Blacksite, Turning Point, Hour of Victory, and another Activision budget shooter that was terrible, Secret Service.

There are turret sections and barricade situations (think CoDWoW zombie mode) that are actually pretty cool.

The graphics are pretty good, and would've been considered excellent 2 or 3 years ago. The dinos look great, but some of the backgrounds and textures look muddy. Overall, it's a pretty decent looking game that animates well, but there are areas of slowdown when the action gets frenzied.

The sound is decent enough, the guns sound muted but all the roars and shrieks from the large reptiles come through very well.

The story mode is 14 levels and pretty short but by standards of some top FPSs, it can be considered average. There is also a survival mode with the barricade situations that get you unlockables and achievements.

JH is a cheap shooting fix, doing just enough with decent enough quality for it's low price. Worth a weekend rental at least or when it hits bargain bins for $20 or less, can be considered a great find.

5.5 - 6

Rated T for Teen- Blood, violence, language

MasterShake
11-19-2009, 02:54 PM
I've never even heard of that game. It reminds me of an on the rails light gun game at Dave and Busters called Dino Hunt (I think thats what the name was, anyway.) If I ever see this used for under $20, I'll check it out.