PDA

View Full Version : There goes another $30 million of Al(zheimer's) money down the toilet

MileHighWrath
11-18-2009, 07:23 PM
LINK TO STORY (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/11/18/sports/s155406S61.DTL)

Gradkowski takes over starting QB gig for Raiders

By JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

(11-18) 15:54 PST Alameda, Calif. (AP) --

The Oakland Raiders benched former No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell on Wednesday, handing the starting job to journeyman Bruce Gradkowski for the foreseeable future.

Coach Tom Cable made the announcement of the change following practice as the Raiders (2-7) prepare to play the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday. Cable said this was not a temporary move, that his plan is to stick with Gradkowski.

"I don't want to be like that," he said. "This is where we're headed and what we're going to do. He'll take this team and go with it."

Russell was not in the locker room during the media access period and was not available for comment after the decision was announced. Cable said Russell was disappointed by the decision but worked hard in practice Wednesday

Cable said owner Al Davis gave him the autonomy to make the decision on his own and supported the move.

"As we all know, it's important to include him in everything so he knows what's going on with this football team," Cable said.

Cable had pulled Russell for ineffectiveness in two of the past three games as he grew more frustrated with Russell's inaccuracy and poor decision-making in his third season in the NFL.

The Raiders believed Russell would be the quarterback to turn the struggling franchise around when they drafted him No. 1 out of LSU in 2007 and eventually gave him a contract with about $31 million in guaranteed money. But his career has sputtered from the start.

He had a lengthy holdout as a rookie before finally signing his deal after the first game of the season. He played briefly down the stretch before getting the starting job a year ago. Russell was inconsistent in his first full season as a starter, but showed some bright signs with a strong finish to the season that included wins over Houston and Tampa Bay.

Instead of having a breakthrough in his third season, Russell has regressed and has been booed regularly at home games. He has completed just 46.8 percent of his passes this season, with nine interceptions and five lost fumbles and the second worst passer rating in the league at 47.7.

Cable said he still believes in Russell's future even if all signs appear to be pointing to him becoming one of the more notable draft busts. Russell will be the No. 2 quarterback this week against the Bengals.

"This is in no way giving up on the guy," Cable said. "This is just trying to jump-start this team and really break it down and make a decision based on what gives us the best chance to win."

In 28 career games, Russell has completed 51.6 percent of his passes with 17 touchdowns, 21 interceptions and 14 lost fumbles for a passer rating of 65.5. He had started 25 of the past 26 games for Oakland, missing only one last year with an injury.

The Raiders used top 10 picks the past two seasons to surround Russell with speedy playmakers, drafting running back Darren McFadden and receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey. But Oakland has been unable to generate a big-play offense, scoring just 88 points in the first nine games.

Russell has particularly struggled on the deep passes he was supposed to be so proficient with because of his big arm. According to STATS LLC, Russell has completed just 2 of 34 passes that have gone more than 20 yards downfield for 85 yards, one touchdown and five interceptions.

"We've got guys open, and I think we're getting better in understanding what we're doing," Cable said. "We've got to put the ball in their hands and find a way to do that. I think this will give us an opportunity to do that."

This will be just the second start for Gradkowski since 2006. He started one game last year in Cleveland, going 5-for-16 for 18 yards and two interceptions for a passer rating of 1.0 in a 31-0 loss to Pittsburgh. He started 11 games as a rookie for Tampa Bay in 2006, winning three of them.

Gradkowski is 17 for 30 for 163 yards and two interceptions as a backup in Oakland this season. He tried to lead a comeback last week against Kansas City before his pass in the final minute deflected off receiver Heyward-Bey's hands and knees before being intercepted by Mike Brown around the 10-yard line to seal a 16-10 win for the Chiefs.

"I thought last week there were some good things and definitely some things to learn from," Gradkowski said before the decision was announced. "All we can do is keep working and get better."

Gradkowski got limited practice time with the first team for most of the season as the Raiders worked on developing Russell. He got a few more chances last week and now will get the bulk of the time with the first team. He expects that to be a big help this week against the Bengals.

I'm so pissed I just can't believe they would bench the guy they signed for ... how much? $30 million?!? LOL got to love that Al(zheimers) Davis1

WTF raiders? You got to give him a few more years to prove he's an absolute bust and not pull the plug so soon!

LMFAO

Overtime
11-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I say Cable gets fired in 2 weeks when this move backfires. what says you?

Ravage!!!
11-18-2009, 07:28 PM
I absolutely think this was the right move. If you want the rest of the players to believe that you are doing your BEST to win games, and you are putting the players ON the field that give you the BEST chance to win... you absolutely 100% bench Russell. He's terrible. He's been the worst player on the field in EVERY game he's played.

Cable is terrible as head coach. But this is the smartest move he's made all season long.

Overtime
11-18-2009, 07:31 PM
I absolutely think this was the right move. If you want the rest of the players to believe that you are doing your BEST to win games, and you are putting the players ON the field that give you the BEST chance to win... you absolutely 100% bench Russell. He's terrible. He's been the worst player on the field in EVERY game he's played.

Cable is terrible as head coach. But this is the smartest move he's made all season long.

just because it's the right move, doesn't mean it's going to make the boss happy, or win you any ball games. I expect ole Al won't be too happy about this at all.

Ravage!!!
11-18-2009, 07:33 PM
just because it's the right move, doesn't mean it's going to make the boss happy, or win you any ball games. I expect ole Al won't be too happy about this at all.

You honestly think the coach is making any personnel moves without Al Davis knowing? Seriously?

Davis knows about this move. He's embarrassed to have that fat piece of crap looking soooo bad on the field.

Cable was gone after the season ended anyway. Nothing to do with this move. But you have a MUCH bigger chance of winning if Russell is OFF the field than you do if he's on it.

KCL
11-18-2009, 07:40 PM
You honestly think the coach is making any personnel moves without Al Davis knowing? Seriously?

Davis knows about this move. He's embarrassed to have that fat piece of crap looking soooo bad on the field.

Cable was gone after the season ended anyway. Nothing to do with this move. But you have a MUCH bigger chance of winning if Russell is OFF the field than you do if he's on it.

Exactly...this came from Al to bench him...and he did right in the middle of
the game....:lol:

Devilspawn
11-18-2009, 09:39 PM
LINK TO STORY (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/11/18/sports/s155406S61.DTL)

I'm so pissed I just can't believe they would bench the guy they signed for ... how much? $30 million?!? LOL got to love that Al(zheimers) Davis1

WTF raiders? You got to give him a few more years to prove he's an absolute bust and not pull the plug so soon!

LMFAO
A) There are more rumors of your team's owner suffering from Alzheimer's. So that Al(zheimer's) is becoming ironic. Shame.

And Al(zheimer's) is better spelled ALzheimer's because no one has ever heard of Zheimer. Please denounce your ACME Smack Kit and neg rep the eBay seller who pulled a fast one on you.

2) Davis should've deferred his payment of Russell and pay for a new stadium. But he has cash so it won't break him. Never does.

III) You WISHING the Raiders can start Russell for three more years means nothing in the fact that the Russell Era in Oakland is just about over. If Simms isn't good enough...

Four) San Diego's coming up this Sunday. This game is to stop the filming of the movie Epic Meltdown II. I don't see you engaging with the Chargers fans with as much fervor and raw, intense passion. It could mean that you're a one trick donkey or that you're so deep on our nuts that you're paying rent. And always on time, too. We thank you for that. With the winter months approaching, our nuts could use the heat.

Too bad you don't bring any.

BoltsOwnU
11-19-2009, 02:22 PM
We had Ryan Leaf. JaMarcus is even worse. This was inevitable.

Lonestar
11-19-2009, 03:16 PM
we were really hoping for the guy that was worse the graboskis's 45% completion stat..

we all knew it would not last forever..

Lets hope that fatso will decide he wants to work for the money and his ego will turn on at being benched..

But then he has the cash why would he care.. afterall someone was actually dumb enough to give it to him..

weazel
11-20-2009, 11:44 AM
bigger bust...

Leaf or Russel?

Overtime
11-20-2009, 12:05 PM
bigger bust...

Leaf or Russel?

hmmm...I say they both win Co-MVP award for Biggest Bust.

Ravage!!!
11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
bigger bust...

Leaf or Russel?

Leaf was taken 2nd to Manning.... so I'm going with Russell because he was the #1 overall

Devilspawn
11-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Leaf was taken 2nd to Manning.... so I'm going with Russell because he was the #1 overall
no homer, I would disagree going by this thinking because of the college attributes vs. what the player could potentially do in the NFL.

If the Raiders didn't need a QB, then the strong armed Russell is taken in the third based on potential alone. If a weaker armed Quinn is the only QB there, the Raiders take someone with 4.2 speed.

Leaf vs. Manning was the talk of the draft. The guessing game. we all couldn't wait to see how this draft panned out 10 years later.

And at the time, SOME considered Leaf the better of the two and would make the Chargers winners. Russell was more known as a raw freakish project to develop and it wasn't written in stone that he was going to change the team around.

And some, including John Elway, saw this as a disaster given the enviornment this raw project was asked to turn around. That's why I give Russell 9/10 of the blame for his results.

At this point though, it's apples and oranges. They both suck.

Ravage!!!
11-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I don't give Russell 9/10 to blame, but going by your logic, then its More Russell's fault than anything else... that makes it an evern BIGGER bust considering he was taken #1 overall.

Leaf was bad... Russell is worse. But if you are going by Hype.. then Leaf wins. But considering Russell was taken as the #1 overall pick... that puts Russell RIGHT there with him, absolutely.

But I saw this coming the momen Al Davis chose to take this relatively unknown QB as his top pick, after simply seeing what he could do at the combine instead of watching what he didn't do in college.

ursamajor
11-22-2009, 03:09 AM

All Tom will have to do to get approval from the old man, is say that JaMarcus was dating Al's daughter.

Devilspawn
11-23-2009, 12:32 AM

LMFAO

Oh you and your wacky threads! :lol: